From Poker Donk To Winning Monk

P0kerM0nk

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

Hope you keep it going @P0kerM0nk good luck.

I think the playthrough bonuses "stack" so you won't see any new ones till the old one is cleared, and as far as I know you won't lose any days off it while one is still active, it should start at 60 days when the other finishes. :wonder:

@P0kerM0nk  it is like stated by Mr. @GR1ZZL3R  (they are indeed stacked together), but you should be also able to see values (amount of upcoming bonuses) => here is the screenshot:

298379821_PLAYTHROUGHbonus.png.6b88a872894c47118fc3c934db257905.png

• Like 4

I was just on my phone and looking to see if Poker Scientist would work on a mobile and it does although not that handy being a smaller screen BUT before logging in there was a pop up saying you can get the annual bundle so the solver + trainer which I bought for €499 as a xmas gift (with discount code)... and I bought it for €540 on the 24th :annoyed: bit tilting if you ask me! Could have saved €50 once tax was added ffs...

• Like 2

Well this is it, last post of the year, the year I came back to poker trying to be a better player than the fish / break even reg I used to be. I like to think I achieved that but I'm far from being the 'crusher' I would like to be 😛 it has been quite the trip, poker is by all means no easy game.

Managed to get to 700k points today for the 25k bonus points reward, had to play 100NL to get the points a bit quicker as there is a rakerace again on RIO and I knew I wasn't going to make it much further than 700k so didn't see the point.

I have 71,660 bonus points now so I'll have to get to 175k next quarter to get enough points to buy another €500 playthough bonus so prob next month somewhere. Managed to bag 4,220 bonus points from the santa flips so almost €25 free. Not sure if it's worth it but still have the few tournaments too as long as I don't forget them, not the first I forgot to reg or play :annoyed:

And my 1st X-mas bonus showed up lol still €320 in bonuses left to play through.

bonus.png.2ba7c91d6f4b17c5302ab629e5c81590.png

Month of December has been a bit of a struggle poker wise. Especially on Unibet I seem to be getting nowhere, balance just floating around break even up untill the last few days. But the last 2 days I've had a stonker of a run or I just found my mojo lol as I managed to gain almost 1k in just the last 2 days. Today I played 2 hours and made €500 lol, nice end of 2020 and decided to not play anymore for the evening, would prob only make my day sour.

All in all I made €1800 profit this month, lucky run past 2 days but still had a profit either way. But as I said before, lots came from bonuses so even though a profit is a profit I'd like to see myself winning without the extra bonus money. (but definitely taking the free bonus money as well !!) So will see what 2021 will bring, hope it keeps going the direction as I ended 2020.

December:
Unibet: +€785
Rio: +€1,021

From my start in March up to now I made about €4.200

Happy New Year and see you on the other side :Cool:

• Like 11

Not only the players who hate me but the game as well. Ran good last 2 days of last year but already knew that wouldn't last and here we are, pretty much down what I won in those 2 days. January been terrible so far, hard to get a win in, so absurd at times. Just lost a 200bb pot vs a any 2 cards fish in a 3b pot, both having a flush, I have the K high one and he had the A high one :dissatisfied: like I need to start playing the nuts only on Unibet like anybody else does so it seems.  /rant over.

• Like 4

Well don't know what is happening but the wheels have come off and I don't know how to drive anymore. Very frustrating... can't even double my stack anymore. Everything I do seems the opposite of what I should have been doing 😞

This sums up January pretty much so far:

Seat 2: Hero (€101.02)
Seat 3: ButtonClicker (€37.39)

Player X raises to €2
Hero raises to €9
ButtonClicker raises €36.39 to €37.39, and is all-in
Player X folds
Hero calls €28.39
*** Showdown ***
*** Flop *** [3♥️ A♦️ K♦️]
*** Turn *** [3♥️ A♦️ K♦️] [Q♦️]
*** River *** [3♥️ A♦️ K♦️] [Q♦️] [9♦️]
Hero shows [A♥️ K♥️], Two pairs, Aces up 
ButtonClicker shows [6♥️ 8♦️], A Flush
ButtonClicker wins €73.78
*** Summary ***
Total pot €76.78 Rake €3
Seat 2: Hero: bet €37.39 and won €0, net result: €-37.39
Seat 3: ButtonClicker : bet €37.39 and won €73.78, net result: €36.39

• Like 1

Slacking a bit in playing volume, results aren't there so not felt much desire to play a lot, took yesterday (Saturday) off as I had to take my oven apart as the locking mechanism was fecked so ordered another part for it but then ended up cleaning the whole oven/cooker taking me half a day 🤣 then couldn't be arsed playing anymore so ended up watching tele lol.

Still watching videos and having a go at the solver which is nothing like the games I play in reality 🤣

Still running crap or playing crap, take your pick. Played 13 days so far this month and only managed to win 4 of them. Today started like the usual, got it in 3x on RIO with the better hand, lost em all... bloody speechless... AA-QQ TT-88 QQ-77 

Also been stuck on this challenge for a couple of days now... pretty annoying. 

major.png.2ad93f2579c87c799c2beb4da054931d.png

Sure it will get better one day... right? :haha:

• Like 2

How are you getting on with Poker Scientist. Read about it last night and am quite tempted.

Is it worth having the full package or just the silver part.

Been tempted with a solver for a while but don’t know if I have the energy for one that takes a lot of effort.

Working on mobile is also a big plus for me.

@Ch0p5Re1d 

I'm back doing over time at work so I haven't had too much time yet to get a decent dive in to this and I also need to figure out or look up some videos on best ways of using a solver. As I've never used one before it is a bit harder as you have to kinda learn yourself why a solver does this or that.

I'm not sure if there are solvers out there that don't require a lot of effort? Maybe if you only use a training version and just keep battling the solver bot till you have some idea of what it does in certain spots etc but then you won't be able to look up spots etc.

I like the fact it works on mobile, even if it's not that super handy but you can use the training part easy enough to get some hands in. Downside of Poker Scientist atm is probably a lack of available flop textures as when I started they only had 25 but now have 47 flops and eventually will be extented to 198 flops if I'm right.

There are videos on youtube you can watch if you haven't already and there is one on Run It Once training site too if you are a member that is.

Although I can't compare this solver with another, I can only guess that when I will be able to use it in a more decent way it will be easier for me to understand than something like PIO as Scientist clusters more stuff together and shows you a better graphical representation which should make it easier to understand. If you want to check exact spots or hands you played than PIO will probably be better but once Scientist has all it's flop subsets is shouldn't  be too far off imo.

My own reason to get started with a solver is to think more of ranges when playing and trying to balance my own but the lower stakes you play the less you really need it. I see it more as developing my poker mind and improving my general play but playing as a solver in reality will probably make you do weird stuff. In general I also think solvers are quite expensive especially if you only play low or even medium stakes.

• Like 2

No wonder volume is pretty low as just never seem to hit anything, didn't play Thursday and Friday, very little on Saturday and yesterday I played 2 sessions, had 3 all ins QQ-JJ on RIO lost it, AK vs AK on Unibet and shopped the pot and then AK vs A5s which I lost as well... it's getting boring.

a5duck.png.269b816a7b915e5f3018b3373a433d04.pngdoomed.png.f16a81ddc5c52ec491ab5f7191f9aa19.png64S.png.33096e0a68dd66651689cafcf912ad9e.png64S2.png.b3065b5147824d08da667563c7442494.pngshete.png.94bd4c872af672f51558fd1b3cb4f7e5.png

Back to 50NL for a while, I feel like I play good enough but cards are just going nowhere, very dissapointing.

Poop Pooping GIF by swerk

• Like 5

Month almost over and it's been a terrible month, down about 1.5k, honestly don't know how this is even happening lol. Started playing some 25NL again just to maybe get some confidence back? Bigger pool and more fish anyway and definitely softer than 50NL+. 

Also playing some 20NL on RIO as no 50NL games running now the rake race is over or just a smaller version one barely worth it. But running awfull with all ins pre, had 2 all ins today AK vs AK split pot then JJ vs TT and lost it. Unreal how crap I've been running when having the better pp. Then I slowplayed AA vs very aggro villain and called 4b OOP, shipped the flop on Kxx and he had AK, of course K on the turn, 90% equity again down the drain. What more can we do? :wonder: 😞

Will be interesting to see what stats I'm running once the new Unibet comes out 2nd quarter, kinda looking forward to it. Might just play 25NL today and tomorrow or jump in 50NL if the pool is big enough.

Also kept track of all my all ins preflop since 30/12 so will prob have a look at that tomorrow, doubt it will show anything special but always good to see some stats :atisfied:

• Like 5

Thanks for this, really grateful you put the time into the response.

Have been subscribed to a training site for a few months and feel it is getting to its usefulness soo need something else to work with to keep motivation up to improve game.

Bought some hand histories the other day to look up some population analysis which was fun.

Might give this a go, what I was meaning about effort is I am happy to put hours in but can’t be bothered with a programme that isn’t user friendly. Poker Scientist actually looks quite slick and useable.

Should have said last post I have been really enjoying blog, started playing again around the time it started and have been checking in every week for inspiration.

Not playing as high stakes as 100NL but can appreciate the bad variance. Had a horrible time in November as had to move down stakes, not because of bankroll but the constant bad beats were starting to affect my game, was doubting my self and getting on tilt too much. Did the trick though and moved back up and been good since.

• Like 1

@Ch0p5Re1d 

As I said before Poker Scientist is still implementing new things etc along with extending the amount of flop textures and I still need to have a proper start with it to understand how everything exactly works. They just added a made hand distribution and have a video about it on youtube. I still have to watch it (prob tonight) but would say watch a few videos on youtube about this software and see what you think. Wish I could compare it to other solvers but I can't so can't say how good or bad it really is.

No over time at work for February, so I was told anyway last week but we will see lol but this would mean a bit more free time for poker 😛 

I need to get back to putting in a bit more time again but I always end up doing other stuff, I never have enough hours in a day 🤣

• Like 3

Playing both double trouble tournaments today,  went out the normal one with TT vs A2o flopping a straight and I just punted it off against the guy who played every hand on the table :speechless:

Super double trouble: all in on the turn...

doubletr.png.8f6183fcff39caf3874cc4f080016014.png

Like a hand I played last night on the ipad, another guy who plays wild as anything, before I got dealt in he shoved A6o pre for 100bb and got called off by TT.
Here I 3b and cb flop, he raised my turn cb and just got it in... lol never holds up.
noluck.png.cce19c43827685d7064290d318caf5a7.png

Anyone knows how to realise your equity? I'm really good at dodging it as it seems. 

• Like 1

@P0kerM0nk wrote:

Anyone knows how to realise your equity? I'm really good at dodging it as it seems. 

Yes that looks kind of not nice =( especially as they were tournaments, and your life is on the line!

This is where a tracker would be handy, it's much better Unibet doesn't have them all in all I think, but In spots like this I guess it would be nice to pull up all times you had top pair on the turn, all in on the turn,  best hand, and how often you won. Might make you feel a bit better I guess! 

How regularly do you play by the way? in a week for example how many sessions do you put in? 

Good luck at the tables!

• Like 1

@P0kerM0nk wrote:

You shouldn’t whine about luck. You can’t change if you get lucky/unlucky in a hand. You can change how to react to your luck, though.

You seem to go through a rough patch right now. That happens. You seem to be a capable player. So: Take the beats and just – keep – going.

Also, I’m sure you know this but: J9o has almost 14 % equity going to the river. Yes, it’s beyond ridiculous to see J9o here. But it has a reasonable amount of outs. It’s almost as likely as a dice roll that has to hit a 6 (assuming it’s a seven-sided dice).

• Like 2

@SkilfulPoker I like to put in a session a day even if it's only half an hour but I have been slacking a bit lately, the lack of results makes me less willing to play tbh but even on days I don't play I often still watch a training video or browse some hands on 2+2.

@GamesDean Yes I know they still have about 14% equity as I have a look at those hands afterwards. I'm also not saying I play every hand I post here optimal (far from) so it's not always about luck/no luck or running good/bad. It's my blog and I sometimes just post to vent some frustrations but you won't ever see me saying the games are rigged as I know how variance can go and we often remember the bad moments more than the very good ones. Someone hits a 1 outer on you and you remember it for days, you hit a one outer on someone and you scoop the pot and move on lol.

Also, seven sided dice, never heard of 😀

• Like 4

Not really an update but here is a hand from today, MP open shoves and CO calls, I have TT in the bb do we fold or do we call. MP only has been on table few hands, joined the table with 95bb's, limped one hand, then donk potted flop in other hand and open shoved hand before this one. CO is obviously also not 100bb's and I tank called and still think it's a good enough call. Unfortunate that he had KK. CO having A6o... okay 😏 TT probably bottom of my calling range here but not entirely sure, being vs 2 makes it a bit of a weird spot.

weird1.png.99dc64b5facdd0d018c8aebad16dc829.pngweird2.png.277da9e6833a9fd60043e49ba3f23abf.png

Now here is a list of all or most of my all ins of last month on Unibet and RIO, excuse me for the 22 tilt punt 😏 so just ignore that one lol.

Overall I don't think there is much wrong with these stats, running terrible on RIO if you ask me. Not sure how to process all these hands to kinda figure out my run good/bad but it does give you a view of what villains show up with. All in all people don't really jam JJ or worse and that's a bit of a leak for me that I find it hard to fold JJ at times. Now RIO is a bit more aggro + lots more shorthanded so ranges will be a bit wider to get it in and I think that's ok.

Another way at looking at this is how many times do I win with the best pocket pair, looking at RIO I only won 2 times out of 7 which is pretty poor. How many times did I s#ck out when I had the lower pair? 0 out of 5. No luck for me there.

Number in brackets is where the hand ended up as a tie.

UNIBET

AA-KK 1-0
AA-AK 1-0
KK-AA 1-0
KK-KJo 1-0
QQ-KK 0-3
QQ-AK 3-2
QQ-TT-A5s 1-0-0
QQ-99 1-0
JJ-KK 0-1
JJ-AK 0-1
22-QQ 0-1
AKs-AKs 0-1
AK-AK 0-0 (2)
AK-AA 1-0
AK-KK 2-1
AK-QQ 1-0
AK-AQ-99 1-0-0
AK-A6s 1-0
AK-A5 0-1
AQ-AQ 0-0 (1)

RIO

AA-AK 1-0
AA-QQ 0-1
KK-AA 0-2
KK-QQ 1-0
KK-AK 1-1
QQ-AA 0-2
QQ-JJ 0-1
QQ-TT 1-0
QQ-77 0-1
JJ-TT 0-1
JJ-AK 1-0
JJ-AQ 0-1
TT-QQ 0-1
TT-88 0-1
AK-QQ 1-0
AK-JJ 1-0
AK-TT 0-1
AK-AK 0-0 (2)
AKs-KQo 1-0

Second time I've kept count of this and it made me realise that people aren't all mad craze or outplaying me and what not as they always show up with the goods when they get it in. It is something to remember when I get in a spot and my finger is itching to pull the trigger preflop with some dodgy hand 🤣

Still need to request my results for last month but not much to mention there lol, been terrible.

• Like 4

From looking at a bit of database analysis from another site at the weekend, players 4Bet plus range is really value heavy. I have got to the stage of only calling QQ+, AK. Might be too nitty but not worth the tilt when lose stack AQ vs AK etc. 

I started reading the Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler. Really not a self help book kind of person but finding it really useful to get a bit of perspective and pick up some tips about coping with tilt. 

• Like 1