From Poker Donk To Winning Monk

P0kerM0nk

@Argevolen wrote:

TY

£1,000=1100 euro

4.4 euro/100hands

8.8bb/100

Sorry I meant € just used to typing £ lol.

June: €883 and 25214 hands 

July: €1078 and 26094 hands

August: €972 and 24125 hands 

There you go @Argevolen 

And now I'm here anyway, on 372k challenge points now, 'moved up' to 100NL just to get points quicker as won't reach it at 50NL. Also played one table of 200NL today for a short while just to have a nose lol but about €450 down today so far, nothing going my way at the moment. Bit of a dent in the bankroll but being 100NL ofc it's only 4.5 buyins :speechless:  Hmm... whatever like, I keep going, 400k challenge points is my goal! 

• Like 3

@Argevolen @P0kerM0nk Awesome, thanks! Seems about 7.8 bb/100 then. That helps for a decent estimate for a conversion between net rake and bb/100 (https://www.primedope.com/online-poker-rake-comparison-rake-calculator/#What_is_Net_Rake), which I was kinda curious about (can be used for comparing winrates on different sites).

The NL50 net rake of 4.01% (according to that website) amounts to about 2x that in bb/100 then.

Edit: Hopefully you can make it then P0kerM0nk! Is 400k just a general goal or you want to gamble for the bonus points?

• Like 2

@CuteRaven 400k is just what looked achieveable a while ago and now I'm close I def want to get it. Never set a goal months ago though. The idea now is to get enough points to get a €500 play through bonus around Xmas lol.

@Argevolen was just having a nose at 200, only one table running, I ran off after I stacked a 30bb guy  

I'm far from being that good of a player but I'll try and keep playing 100NL if enough games are going and 50NL otherwise. Sometimes more players at 100 than at 50 surprisingly. But I def have to tune my game more as still making too many mistakes which hurt more the higher up you go. Learning to play poker never ends.

• Like 3

I guess good to know then that the NL200 induced swings and tilt is not worth risking for the sake of a challenge points goal?

Shame about the loss :/. You can make it back, sometimes good to take a break to have some nonpoker fun (e.g excersize, social stuff) when the worst losses hit, so that you can come back fresh.

• Like 4

Just playing 100NL though and wouldn't say I've played much different than when I play 50NL. A reg who also plays at 50NL at times stacked me like 3-4 times I think, just running like god always having the better hand in 3b pots, pretty sick but didn't feel like it affected my play too much, sure I'm raging for the fact this happens again at 100NL but I probably have to make some more adjustments too. 

Staying at 100NL for now but once we get to the 400k points I'll lower the volume and do some more table selection as well, probably need to check every 10-15 min if it's still worth sitting at a table. And even though I lost 1k yesterday I feel kinda indifferent about it lol, I still got money left so just keep my head cool and keep working on my game. It will be alright lol.

• Like 6

Just didn't get to my goal, poker has been pretty dissapointing lately, but after all I was glad it was the 1st of October as I wasn't 'forced' to open up some tables. I might take a step back for a while and see what the plan is later, possibly withdraw all my money, don't know yet...

points.png.ad14ad86b3a51ab379aa9894b10eb5e7.png

As if! Watch this space :Rofl:
  • Like 4

Hard question for me :) I started to play poker more last month and made for the first time 15.000 points from hexapro and mtt. But stopped to play after the hexa jackpot didn't trigger exactly when I played the most games and I didn't accepted what did the Unibet staff in exchange. 

• Like 1

So still waiting on the results coming back but even after having a crazy sunday losing almost 1k :waterfall: I still managed to make some profit this month. Even lost half my bankroll on RIO although don't really have much on there (anymore lol) and haven't played much there either lately. Overall profit for the month combining both sites is €382 and profit on unibet alone is €738, playing 50NL and 100NL towards end of last month.

Can say that after the crazy sunday I managed to keep focused and I think I was even more focused than normal and whilst I also binked the super double trouble tournament *woop * adding a well needed €400 boost I also recovered €515 in total on Monday and Tuesday on the cash tables kinda neutralising my Sunday loss 🆒

Played a bit on Wednesday to complete the 400k points which I did reach 😛 but didn't run too well so once I reached my goal that was it for the month. Probably played a bit too much towards the end but happy enough with the month. Bankroll still just above 3k on Unibet so the plan is to stay at 100NL as long I find it viable to play aka enough weaker players at the tables. Overall impression is that there are still enough wacky players going about but I'll end up doing better table selection and review tables more often when playing as battling regs can be fun when winning 😀 it's not where most of our profit comes from.

damn.png.dfe4ad8817c9c67be47e4b368c7c40c9.pngbiggestpot.png.9663d7c87843fb5c8614cc5f8f8148ff.pngGettingThere.png.646f9788ba23dad19544c2cc629ac5f8.pngfish1.png.c0d8216988dac6c98eec823c8cdc0e02.pngquads.png.fda070522c2ed7151f4e5fae92557717.pngquads66.png.8e7ec45d9289115dc58012e14aec6a79.png

So just waiting on results coming in to see exactly how I did at 50NL and 100NL and keep on grinding 100NL whilst back to some more learning as been doing a bit too much grinding lately. Good luck all!

• Like 7

Well done on the profit!

Some interesting hands here.

That first reg seems a bit insane, quite fun :D.

That's a pretty cool just call from the "nit", I think I like it actually because when 2 players call on a flop like that, it's very likely that one has a 5 (instead of two pocket pairs). Especially you in the BB probably have a decent amount of 5x compared to pocket pairs. You probably would 3bet TT+ or JJ+ preflop so 77-99/TT is only about 18-24 pocket pairs which I'm not sure you even bet OTR given that the other players might not call many worse hands, and then you have something like A5s,K5s,Q5s,65s,75s,85s,54s, A5o, K5o so 10-15ish combos of quads that you always want to get money in with. Also CO can have some 5x.

Reminds me of a recent HU SnG hand where I limped about 15 BB effective with JJ on the button. I cbet a flop texture of 333 and a tight villain calls. I check back turn which was a 6 or something. River is an A if I remeber correctly. Villain checks river and I tank check back the JJ, villain revelas T3o 🤣.

Last hand I don't like 3betting turn, I think you block most value raises (given that the pot is 4 way) with the quads, it's at least very likely that the raise is a bluff, or even if it's not they might put you on a 6 and fold something like AA. You might get some value from 78s though but I would let villain hang themselves.

Take the analysis with a grain of salt I don't play that much cash :D

• Like 2

First reg def likes a battle, he's the one who stacked my 3-4 on Sunday just always having it or getting there. He was playing back at me the next day haha but then I changed my nick the next day again 🤣

55 quads, sometimes harder to comment on a hand after it's been a few days as can't remember potential table dynamics anymore. 55 hand I know it looks like I or the other player could have a 5 and he was maybe calling to keep the 3rd player in who knows. Still I only halfpotted the river so could be 22 33 44 77 88 99 maybe TT or JJ even and his 66 boat is well hidden in a way so maybe a call with a player behind but if he was closing the action I would have put a raise in lol. 

66 quads, maybe I should have bet smaller with my actual holding and then called the raise and x/r the river if he had bet again,  initially I was thinking, wet flop OOP I want to get money in now before it bricks out if he has a draw, maybe better to slowplay crushing the board but always breaks my heart when they just check back 🤣 and again can't exactly remember villain but could have perceived him as more passive so getting in a bet myself probably better. Or could have donked the river. Maybe I extracted max value anyway lol so it is what it is. Being multiway pots everyone is or should be more wary of nutted hands anyway.

I don't mind some analysis btw, I'm not the best theoretical wise and I mostly watch videos trying to absorb as much info as I can or thought processes but moving forward, depending on how it goes at 100NL etc, it def is something I should start to look into, all the GTO PIO 😪 :haha:

• Like 3

In villains shoes in the 5x quads hand I definately don't expect you to bet 22, I'm not sure what you would be trying to get called by, ace high? Seems unlikely in a 3 way pot but if you have 2 stations playing against you then why not :p. Even if you bet such hands though, I wouldn't expect you to call most of them against a shove, I think shoves look really strong and get called by 5x over 50% of the time. Maybe if villain has the image of a maniac they can get called really wide.

In the 66 hand, I think a passive player would fold many draws vs a 3bet OTT anyway, so it's not much more value lost than if they check back river. I think someone active enough to bluff 4 way might aocasionally bluff the river too if you just call. And if they do make their flush on the river? Well, then you can be really happy :D. But yeah against loose passive opponents I guess the turn 3bet might be better.

Yeah, I'm far from a GTO expert too, I've learned some things from solver explained videos on Youtube (Finding equilibrium, Alvin teaches poker, Bluff the spot is pretty good too) and by getting "inspiration" or trying to find patterns from some of the Pluribus hand compilations on Youtube where it playes really interesting lines.

Like this one for example:

or this one, like the hand at 2:06 where it flats QQ preflop and also on the flop to set the trap and backraise:

• Like 2

lol that pluribus A-I Poker bot, never heard of. I'm calling overbets as I'm a fish 🤣

Here a hand from a while ago, kept me thinking lol: Villain is a reg but doesn't always top up as maybe plays too many tables? I found his jam so weird AK A3 A2 flush?

Table €100 NL - 0.50/1.00 - No Limit Hold'Em 
*** Seated players ***
Seat 1: Player 1(€100.17)
Seat 2: Villain (€89.50)
Seat 3: Player 3 (€59.27)
Seat 4: Hero (€100)
Seat 5: Player 5 (€100) (sitting out)
*** Blinds and button ***
Villain has the button
Player 3 posts small blind €0.50
Hero posts big blind €1
*** Hole cards ***
Dealt to Hero [Qc Qs]
*** Preflop ***
Villain raises €3 to €3
Hero raises €10 to €11
Villain calls €8
*** Flop *** [4c 3s 3c]
Hero bets €7.25
Villain calls €7.25
*** Turn *** [4c 3s 3c] [5c]
Hero checks
Villain checks
*** River *** [4c 3s 3c] [5c] [Ks]
Hero bets €15.50
Villain raises €71.25 to €71.25, and is all-in
Hero???

Played one hand terrible in tonights session, QQ in MP and UTG opens, I 3b and BTN 4b like instantly and I jammed over it after thinking for a sec. He had KK. Don't think BTN will ever show up with much else than AA KK here.

More luck in this hand 🆒
crazy.png.f304a4d9ab4cfce63d53fedf3de8994c.png

Major Challenge: make a straight containing an ace... starting to hate this one too. Anyway... Weekend!

• Like 4

Interesting turn check, but I guess it's ok. I would guess yeah A2s, A3s (if villain calls those pre), AK (if villain is a nit pre), KQs maybe (if V makes loosish call OTF) or a backdoored flush with Ax of spades.

Edit: I'm not sure if I would call river, it depends on my reads on villain mostly imo. With no reads I probably fold it. There are not many natural bluffs so villain has to be quite good/creative to pull it off.

How did you get the hand history, or you wrote it by hand?

Lol I won one hand where I 4 bet KK, I'm not sure anymore what my position was, I just remember villain was on the other side of the table. I called a jam from villain who had QQ and I hit a K on some street.  Probably it was not me vs you but I guess it's not impossible :p

• Like 2

I sometimes like to check back a decent hand to protect my check back range, although it might not matter as I change my alias often enough, and having Qc makes it a good check back I guess as I block some of his value hands AQ KQ QJ QT of clubs. I called the river bet for the same reason I think and he showed up with 88 no club.

I copied hand history from the client and just altered it a bit. Would be great if we could put this into a converter somewhere.

QQ hand, might have been you Orange? Flopped a boat 22K on the flop if I remember right lol, I want my money back 🤣

• Like 2