Dennis´ Poker Blog

Dennis_

you started the year as a beginner at 1euro sngs and you finished with 8k profit, pretty great results, plenty to build on.  There's no easy money in poker,  the years highs and lows (real and perceived) will make you better prepared for next year, it never seems to get any easier unfortunately.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Long time no see.

Poker

I decided earlier this year that my interests in languages and chess are much greater than my in interest in poker and therefore decided to cut down significantly on my study efforts and also move down significantly in stakes. Unfortunately, my last few sessions have all been losing sessions, which always led me to an early quit and overall very little volume. This is why I will be playing some 4€ SNGs here exclusively the next few days at least (after taking tomorrow off), as there is no volume related pressure. I started with the 50€ worth of bonuspoints that I still had from last year's promotion and played it up to 100€ already (the losing sessions were mainly on pp). 

The case with Brocky

The case has been referred to the court and both parties were asked to send in their evidence. The hearing is scheduled for the 26.03.2021 via Internet. I will be reporting on the outcome.

Chess

This is still what I spend most of my time on. I don't think there is too much to tell. All the competitions are still online due to Covid.

Languages

My interest for languages has significantly grown. I spend round about 90 minutes every day absorbing "comprehensible input" in several different languages. I'll leave a link to what "comprehensible input" exactly is in the description.

Other things

I pretty much don't have a social life at the moment. I am planning to do some daytrips to snowdonia again soon though.

• Like 6

@Dennis__ wrote:

The case with Brocky

The case has been referred to the court and both parties were asked to send in their evidence. The hearing is scheduled for the 26.03.2021 via Internet. I

giphy

By the way, @Brocky is not looking too good these days:

bam

:laugh:

• Like 3
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

Hello @Dennis__ and welcome back!

First of all good luck with all your activities!

As you were a regular at the 25€, 50€ and even 100€ 5-seat SNGs at Unibet last year, and you also have much more experience than me at the format, I want to ask you a question: how do you find the 4€ level? Is there a big difference between the 4€ and 10€ level and then between the 10€ and 25€ level? Are the players much better, do they play the bubble different, are there much more fishes at the 4€ level? I am curently beating the 4€ level without big problems, but my attempts on the 10€ level were disaster. Of course I just played about 100x10€ SNGs and all could be just bad luck/variance, but the player pool definitely seems to be tougher.

• Like 2

People were doing the craziest of things but I couldn't win. I ended up losing a euro or two and 2,5hours of my life. Winning hasn't been a thing for several weeks now and I simply get annoyed and can't be bothered to play anymore. Will give it another shot tomorrow.

• Like 1

This time I didn't cut my session short. Things were looking quite well but a bad run at the end reduced the profits. The BR is now at 206€. I also managed to play my 6€ cashgame ticket from the rakeback programme up to 11€. Not an overly great day but certainly better that the past couple days.

I will probably spend a day in the mountains tomorrow. Not sure if I will put in a grind after that.

• Like 2

I realized today that Wales is under lockdown again and travel is prohibited, so I had to cancel the trip to the mountains. A simple walk along the seaside had to suffice.

Today's session took unusually long to fire off, usually that means a lack of regs and softer games, which seems to be what happened. I saw a whole bunch of people who stacked off with absolutely nothing. The final outcome:

14.77€ with 221 Flops to go on my Cashgameticket

233.67€ in the bankroll

640 Bonuspoints

• Like 5

Very frustrating session today. I lost 25€. Felt like I couldn't win any flips, what do I know.

The thing is, if I want to make this work and not waste my time playing a game for 3€/hour I need the odd +100€ day every now and again, something that hasn't been anything more than a fantasy now for quite a while. I have lost about 200€ these past 30 days post rakeback when including party poker. Very very frustrating. I can't really believe that I should be doing this badly on 4s.

Here's the hand of the day. Villain was a "reg"

thhtdr.png.2eb849283d9eead7b37a388de322d638.png

A real fear I have is that I only beat this game for something like a 5% ROI. That wouldn't even add up to 50% of minimum wage. It is a bit difficult to imagine that I am really that bad, as the play at the 4s is indeed rather atrocious, but I guess time will tell.

• Like 1

@Dennis__ wrote:

Here's the hand of the day. Villain was a "reg"

thhtdr.png.05cde8c502e171d7b0c8308631b7b50e.png

4WARD963 ? :laugh:

• Like 1
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

what a sick joke this is. I had the lower pair in 100% of pair vs pair situations, lost 6/7 headsups and couldn't even do well against the people who overbet jam the flop with bottom pair. I am not making this stuff up.  20€ down in just an hour. No way I can play a full session with this nonsense. 1 month of getting destroyed at micros. ❤️♥️❤️ this.

• Like 2

Not much better today. This time I did fairly well up to the headsup but there I lost something like 8 times in a row. Decided for an early quit again as the anger was building up. I ended up exactly breakeven at the tables and received 5€ rakeback. That is 5€ for 90 minutes of playing, not very good at all.

I am considering taking a few days off altogether as I am getting really annoyed after the first few losing flips. I simply can't put in any sensible volume like this. 

The hand of the day:

bzb.png.b15e67f20a711a692ab9ff252638c960.pngrdtb.thumb.png.6a17eed9e8f553980cddb67ae736fd10.png

• Like 2

You focus to much on the outcome of individual games when your focus should be on doing the best decisions your knowledge allows you and putting enough volume, in time you will reap the rewards so long your skill level is higher than your competitions. There is no way around it, you need resilience. Jason Koon said something like

" in the Podcast with Bencb, which is true in the case you want to carv a living/profit from this game. If you can't, oh well you get burned out from all that negative emotion you store in yourself. Also great
from Alec. :Happyshy:
  • Like 6

@Dennis_  I feel your pain! Downswings / running bad can be brutal. It becomes even worse the smaller your actual win rate is as your downswing will be worse vs someone who is a crusher in the game.

Knowing from watching poker videos of poker pros even they can go on downswings that can last months just because they run against top of their opponents ranges or just never get their whilst always getting it in with the best equity.

As @FreedoM  said, nothing else to do then keep going, make sure you keep your BRM under control and keep checking the hands you played or lost rationally to see if you are making the best plays or not. 
Overcoming times like that is probably one of the major strengths you need as a poker player

• Like 2