Dennis´ Poker Blog

Dennis_

Finished my week on party. Tomorrow is a rest day. I think I ran quite hot today and yesterday but I didn´t check the roll so don´t know for sure.

Plan is to play on party until probably Friday next week, then aim for a mincash on the leaderboard here the remaining two days of the week.

The SNG scene has been seeing some unexpected and mostly negative changes in the recent past, so I will not be planning any further for the moment😉

• Like 5

Nice that you ran hot!

It might be more efficient to mincash by playing early weekdays, because the higher stakes run better then, than when the leaderboard is almost finisihed (unless you have good reason from other sites to structure your scheduling in this way, or maybe there are slightly more fish on weekends, idk). Of course during the weekend you have a better idea of how many points it takes on the leaderboard to mincash, but it's probably possible to figure out from previous weeks leaderboards too.

What negative changes are the SNGs facing?

• Like 1

@CuteRaven that´s a good point, but it probably will have a higher EV for me to play on party first as they will change the daily leaderboard on Wednesday.

That´s one of the negative changes. The leaderboard over there is going to worsen and it has been announced that it might disappear completely if certain targets aren´t going to be hit. What exactly that would mean for SNG players is unknowable at this point in time, but it will most certainly not be very good.

• Like 1

That's a shame. Seems that these 6 max type SNGs have been going down hill for a while. I have heard that some good players on some sites have moved way down in stakes because the higher stakes no longer run. Do you know what the highest stakes are for these that run on any site?

• Like 1

the vast majority of the action is happening on party and that only because they are effectively paying regs to pay, as @monkeyheaven has pointed out.

Highest stakes are 1ks, but there isn´t much going on beyond 200s really. 50s and 20s, the stakes I play, get a decent amount of volume but the situation remains very fragile. If they remove the daily leaderboards then the volume is most likely going to crash as well.

• Like 1

I finished the party grind today and subsequently went over to the Unibet grind. Converted 500€ worth of Bonuspoints into SNG tickets and cashed 290€, classic. I am starting to become a bit superstitious, expecting to lose. Maybe I am just a horrible player after all, but one way or the other I am quite convinced that I am one of, if not the least lucky player at midstakes SNGs, more about that next week in my summary of the entire year. For now I am going to keep the head down for most part of the weekend, the plan still is to go for a mincash on the leaderboard. 

• Like 5

played a bit more today. Climbed to 21st on the leaderboard so not far to go. The games seem much softer than at the beginning of the promo, which is of course a good thing.

What isn´t a good thing is that I keep losing. The total minus is now 1.500€ pre leaderboard or 800€ post, matched by the same loss on party during the past 2 weeks. 

I have only one rant today, as the rest isn´t worth showing

ntnt.png.e2cf0adb5cd3d2bdbfffbdfa05f249aa.png

• Like 2

Unlucky on the downswing. I actually watched the full podcast and found it super interesting. His mental game was really impressive and I think it should be comforting to you about how he talks about how standard going on 100+ buy in downswings is.

One thing that kind of surprised me is the figures he eluded to. He kind of implied he'd expect to make in the 160-200k usd range by the end of the year. That's obviously a lot of money but that seemed kind of low to me, for the 'best' SnG player in the world who has to endure some wild ups and downs. He also puts in some ridiculous volume by the sounds of it.

• Like 4

Shame that it hasn't worked out. Quitting might be the right choice if you are not happy playing poker or it is not not living up to expectations/you feel like you are not making progress etc.

Another option is to try something new if you haven't tried it yet (e.g solvers, coaching, study groups, something like poker snowie etc.) and then switching strategy based on that, or else switching gametype.

Maybe all this goes without saying.

• Like 2

Not sure exactly where you are at in your poker 'journey' @Dennis__  but what about moving down and rebuilding bankroll / confidence and go from there? If you have a decent understanding of the game then playing a bit lower than what you normally play should be easy enough as players are generally weaker the lower down you go. Also trying another format could help as CuteRaven mentioned. Or just take a break and come back whenever you feel like playing again might work as well.

• Like 4

@P0kerM0nk I have thought about moving down but my 10s winrate has been quite solid and if anything it is going to become worse with more volume, which would certainly not motivate me to move back up.

Changing format has been a thought of mine as well, but I don´t want to start all over again and it won´t help against downswings either

Plan is to not spend any thoughts on poker at all in November

• Like 2

Finished my week on pp on went over to Unibet, where I grinded out about 30 points on the leaderboard. I lost another 1.000€ today combined, losing still seems to be the default position no matter what I do.

I think I will have a relaxed weekend with some poker for the mincash again and a big update with a resume of the entire year and some future plans on Sunday.

• Like 4

Had one of these sessions where you keep getting coolered, but - and this is the unusual part - I cracked more often than not. It´s a nice reminder of how things can go when the RNG generator has mercy on your soul. Only palyed for about an hour and cut the overall loss back down to 30€. 20th on the leaderboard although the people behind me are much closer than the people above me, so I might have to play a bit more tomorrow

• Like 5

here we go with the summary of the year:

first things first, the promo itself:

I played about 1.800 SNGs between the 25s and 100s, total result post everything is -14,77€

This includes 76.000 Bonuspoints from the leaderboard as well as the cashback and 60€ from a playthroughbonus from before the promotion began

Here is a broad timeline of the year:

...-December 2019             I played a 30€ deposit up to 500€ playing solely NL4. The idea was to stay this low to avoid variance. I realized that this plan was bollocks and I hated cashgames,so I...

Dec 2019 - Feb 2020         ...switched to SNGs. I bought ICMIZER and watched every video on youtube concerning SNGs. I grinded the 1s for a week, bagging a little over 200€ in profits. I moved up to the 2s, where I hit the first little downswing (lol). It was more of a 500 game breakeven stretch and by mid January I had grinded it out, moving up to the 4s. No obstacle at the 4s, after 1.000 games I moved up to the 10s. By early February I was adding 25s. 

February - April                 the Covidboom allowed for playing 25s exclusively, with the odd 50 and 100 firing up. The 25s turned out to run really badly for me. I played 2.200 of them with a 0% ROI. Rakeback, running hot at the few 50s+ and a handful of 10s that ran much better made me hit a 5.000€ bankroll anyway. I withdrew all my funds.

April - May                         I moved to partypoker. Deposited 100€. Lost it. Deposited another 100€. Lost it again. The third time I managed to play it up with 10$ 6 max hyper SNGs. Within a month I had played the new roll up to 3.000$ and added 20s along the way.

Late May                           This was the first really big losing day. I lost 4 figures for the first time. Little did I know that this was the beginning of a...

May - September             ...5 months breakeven stretch. Yep, it was mental torture.

September - October      by this time I was following a week on/week off schedule. Partypoker and Unibet announced their juicy promotions at the same time, so I developed my plan to play double volume for 6 weeks and then relax, though I will change the plan a little bit. More about that later. After 5 months of misery I finally caught an upswing for the last fortnight of September, making 3.000€ in profits. I went over to the Unibet grind after this and you all know how it ended.

The total profit for the year is about 13.200€, to put this into perspective, this is a little less than minimum wage. On top of that I "lost" 5.000€ in a staking deal. I was told not to talk about it here but you can pm me for more information about that. It´s still an ongoing issue, it isn´t entirely clear if I will ever see any of that money again.

This leaves us with 8.200€ in profits

Graphs:

brtrrh.thumb.png.c477e943374ab86f011c60f319096693.pngfred.thumb.png.703fb25eab056420916329487967214b.png

You want to be looking at the blue lines, as they are pre rake. Partypoker pays over 100% rakeback to high volume grinders so you want to even add a little bit to that. I had to create a new account because of the new German regulations, that´s why there are two graphs.

Thoughts:

To my best knowledge I have the worst results of all the midstakes SNG regs on pp. I seem to be losing the rake across the border on all stakes higher than 10s, including Unibet. I do see myself as a reg in the lower half in terms of skill, but certainly not the bottom of the lower half. Why do I think so? There are two regs on pp that repeatedly commit some very serious errors, there are three or four other regs that keep committing some less detrimental but nontheless continuous mistakes. Everyone else seems quite solid. Sure, there is the odd mistake here and there but I generally think that my mistakes are more damaging than theirs. Obviously I wouldn´t necessarily spot mistakes in the other player´s game, e.g. if someone is folding too often.

Plans:

Originally my plan was to not play any poker at all anymore in 2020. I will reduce the off time to November. I won´t be doing any poker related activities the next few days, after that I plan to do about an hour or so every day. I have bought the new Slayer + Bencb course and marked about 1.300 ICM spots during the past 6 weeks. Didn´t realize it was that much. I will work through as many as I can after I have worked through the course. Other activities include studying more chess and languages, as well as having another outdoorday if the restrictions and the weather allow for it. 

Afterthoughts:

I have either been the least lucky or the least talented player on my stakes this year. Maybe both. I suspect the tendency to strongly be in favour of bad luck. Some people have made 10x my profits on the same stakes, others have made 3x or 4x my profits. Few have made less than double what I made. It should be very likely for next year to be more successful than this one.

• Like 8