Crush it in 2021

SkilfulPoker

What up guys,

I'm back for 2021, lots have changed for me the past few months, and finally I'm looking forward to getting back into some poker. 

I'm going to be playing a whole variety of different things and also trying to get involved with as many community events as I can. 

I seem to have a more chilled approach to everything really at the moment which is great. I'm also a week into a new diet (this is day 7) and just started a fitness program! My plans for poker are: 

• Grind some 10nl.
  • Grind some 10 euro HUSNG's.
  • Grind some 10 euro 5man HUSNG's.
  • Play some MTT's now and again.
  • And... mix in some Unibet Open sat's so a bit of everything really. 

I'm starting this thread to keep me accountable. Before a session I'll post here and after I'll post the result.
This should help with keeping my sessions focussed I hope!

Haven't decided what I'm playing tonight but I'm going to invest up to 100 a month into this little initiative, and set a deposit limit to match. 

Hopefully I won't need anything past the first €100 but we'll see :)

Once I've decided what I'm playing tonight I'll update back here before I start the session!

• Like 7

Right, so I've decided.. I'm going to play...

image.thumb.png.a777c8e3d83799718817916e91e63620.png

800 Gargle Buster tonight. 

I literally can't remember the last time I cashed an MTT! So a cash would be pretty amazing 🤣

Just going to take the dog for a walk to get some fresh air before it starts, going to also play some 10 euro 5man's on the side. 

Will update again here with results after the session!

• Like 4

Hey guys finished 11/47

Top 8 paid 🤣 but... really pleased with my play. My chillness with other areas of my life seems to have moved into my poker game which I was kinda hoping it would! 

Emotional management at the tables has been a huge issue for me in the past but I had my best session emotionally today by a mile, and wasn't even trying to work on mental game so a big victory in that game none the less :)

Going to watch The Resurrection of Jake The Snake now, so will give the 5man's a miss tonight. 

image.png.f52cc453daf6419d5d162bd0e2d9b444.png

Crush it in 2021 Stats:
Invested: 25 euros
P/L: 25 euros (loss)

MTT's Played: 1
MTT's Won: 0

• Like 3

Very nice challenge, I hope 2021 will be a good poker year for you :happy: The mental game has been a serious issue for me too, you can read about it in my own blog on this community. So I always like reading how other players manage with that part of the game. For me personally a very clear bankroll management is one of the keys to a healthy mental game. So playing with €100 max. each month but playing a €25 MTT wouldn't work for me. Did you one table it and if yes, you prefer that to playing a few tables with lower buy ins? Just wondering, I wanna know what works for other people and why :happyshy:

Anyway, keep up the good emotion management at the tables and GL!

• Like 1

Thanks nightshopper, appreciate you taking the time to read my blog. Sorry it took me a while to reply, but I wanted to write a bit of a detailed reply. 

@nightshopper wrote:

The mental game has been a serious issue for me too, you can read about it in my own blog on this community.

I look forward to checking your blog out shortly! 

@nightshopper wrote:

So playing with €100 max. each month but playing a €25 MTT wouldn't work for me. Did you one table it and if yes, you prefer that to playing a few tables with lower buy ins?

Yes I one tabled it nightshopper, I was going to play some 5 man mtts, but someone was talking to me before I could register, and then when I did register it was about 10 minutes in and I won a big stack fairly quickly. I was trying to get some info about players on table by watching and before too long was getting kind of deep so thought i'd focus on it. 

I prefer to play 1 table of say a 10 or 25 game than 4 of 4 euros for instance 😃

@nightshopper wrote:

Just wondering, I wanna know what works for other people and why :happyshy:

Mental game was always a problem for me. For years and years and years! I even have a signed copy of Jared Tendler's Mental Game of Poker he sent me, where I won a competition years ago to receive an hour of his coaching, and i had that coaching. I was still a huge tilter! I seemed to tilt over almost anything, start the session cool and end up tilting either the same night or always within a few days... and moving up in limits usually, then going busto.  

book.thumb.png.797565d780a168989ffdf3edbc6b5c00.png

They say poker exposes your true character and I think this is true. I always used to think 'this time' I would do better and try hard and still ended up degenning my bankroll somehow as I could never detach myself from the bankroll balance in the cashier... 

About 12 months ago I gave up alcohol for about 40 days over 2019/2020 Christmas period and felt much better in myself. But ended up going back to it later in the year. Well last year I finally broke free from alcohol, and have been free of it for nearly 3 months. In the process I've undone a lot of conditioned thinking about alcohol. I've also saved some money for first time practically ever (not much) but some, I used to just spend any money almost as soon as I got it no matter how much I got. 

I think knowing I can now save money and if I lose the amount I've deposited it doesn't impact me that greatly, makes a huge difference. I always told myself the money didn't matter anyway when I was depositing as I could earn some back in the future with work. But at a deeper level I guess it did. 

So that's kind of a long winded answer to your question, basically for me at least, it seems the problem wasn't my tilt at the table, but that tilt at the table (and how I spewed my bankroll if It got depleted that much) was just a symptom of life issues / character flaws that needed sorting out! 

Talking about this has made me realise this is kinda a huge added victory on top of getting addiction free the last 3 months. If we ever get out of lockdown :Rofl: I'd like to try to see some of the world playing live poker, and I think I might be able to do that now. I've played some live before and enjoyed it. 

Anyway back to your own game, if I had to try to boil down some honest advice that worked for me it would be : 

-Get addiction free (this took me about 2 months) from alcohol mainly. Kind of personal to me this one, but maybe there is something else in your life that's asking for attention?
-Save money month to month for a few months, and feel comfortable you have you all your needs met for a while.
-Only deposit a small amount of what I had saved so it didn't matter too much if I won or lost. 

Hope some of that rambled answer helps in some small way?

I had a very slight urge to fire up a few 5mans (as I mentioned I was going to play some before I posted yesterday) after the MTT, but then quickly realised what I really wanted to do was win the buyin back I had just 'lost'... so I didn't even bother opening them, being aware to realise that was great. Instead I watched that movie I linked above. It's really great, and talks about a drug and alcohol addicted ex wrestler (Jake the Snake) getting addiction free and basically turning his life around (with a whole tonne of help from someone called Diamond Dallas Page!)

Cheers!

and good luck at the tables!

• Like 2

I'll throw my 5 kopecks. The poker books are complete nonsense. In offline poker, the following components are important: medicine (depends on you), psychology (depends on others), software (depends on others). Everything else is of little importance. Alcohol is an interesting topic. There are pros and cons that relate to medicine. I will say this: if you are a really good player, then you don't need some books. Write them yourself. I hope I inspired you to play well.
  • Like 1

@SkilfulPoker  I Had read your blog a Little,You are pretty brave to write about your addictions 👍

But,with a big "but" I think that poker for you is not the answer. Drinking is a serious drog,the most dangerous and legal one in this planet.

I belive IT will be just a matter of time,If You will play poker, to get back to drinking addictions. You can't treat an addiction with another one called poker.

You are going to put your feelings into the game and for sure u are going to have a long downswing in poker and that will bring u closer to drinking addiction. There are so many things You can și beside poker. 

• Like 1

@Merenitsu wrote:

I'll throw my 5 kopecks. The poker books are complete nonsense. In offline poker, the following components are important: medicine (depends on you), psychology (depends on others), software (depends on others). Everything else is of little importance. Alcohol is an interesting topic. There are pros and cons that relate to medicine. I will say this: if you are a really good player, then you don't need some books. Write them yourself. I hope I inspired you to play well.

@Merenitsu and you are still in the same place despite the expectations. That's why such blogs are the best for you. I understand if it's just fun for you because you have better things to do in your life that give you income. I must say that you are often so clever. You have to take into account that you play on micro, and different ranges of stakes require a different approach - ignoring the volume. 

For you, poker is waiting for big hands (prerflop), other as you often say it's trash hands. You will always be behind most players who have an understanding of the game and they know how you approach it (if you don't change your alias 😉)

Sometimes you have to admit - that you are a weak player, I am also weak and the main reason is the lack of knowledge about this game ( don't read much, don't analyze the game)- the difference is that I blame myself for laziness and you blame everything on eternal 0lucky 🆒 

Only I play most tournaments which require less work (compared to cash games) in the field of poker education.

• Like 2
"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises."

@pinki  At the same level (micro) due to frequent cash outs. When I hate the game, I can shoot everything and start over. Others go up to 0 downhill. It looks like I'm that squirrel in a wheel that runs in a circle 😃. Let everyone think I'm a weak player. Analysis of the game. It makes no sense. There are only 2 things you won or lost. Who cares how you lost. If you pay attention to it, it will harm you even more. I recently lost with ace king versus ace jack on the final table. Who is to blame for this? My weak game. No. Two factors are the software and the chip leader's poor play, but this is what helped the opponent win and me lose. In medical books, tilt is explained logically. The entry of a substance into the brain after injury. The substance comes from everyone. We are all humans, not robots. For the substance to stop flowing, on the contrary, you must stop playing, and not analyze.

@Merenitsu wrote:

. Let everyone think I'm a weak player. Analysis of the game. It makes no sense. There are only 2 things you won or lost. Who cares how you lost. If you pay attention to it, it will harm you even more.

You should always leave these few sentences for yourself

@Merenitsu as you said before, you are a graduate of the humanities, that's why I accept your perspective on many things. Not understanding the numbers or even software.

You lost to AK on the final table, that's all? You never give any other information like your stack size, positions, what mtt ,etc.  sometimes you have no choice and some hands are played on auto and do not complain after losing.  What's so strange to lose against another ace, no matter if it's A2-Q - nothing. You never give any other information and even on the final table there is an option to surrender the AK.

ps. if I showed you last week's real bad beats (you don't have the option to fold your hand on the flop/turn) in deep runs in large fields - it would be your hair standing on your head. There is a question of responding to it - and I say that you have a problem with it, because some things you do not understand and you are stubborn to understand it. 

I don't know. I personally don't even pay attention to the losers AA, KK or any kind of hand preflop - but I like to enjoy the defeat of these hands. In terms of many actions in poker you stand still, on the level of beginner - reaction to failure. 

• Like 2
"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises."

What up poker crushers...

Today I am going to embark on a challenge: 

The challenge is to 

1) Earn 6 buyins at 10 euro HUSNG.
2) Then take those 6buyins (=2 buyins at 25 euro HUSNG) and turn them into 5 buyins profit at 25 euro HUSNG. 

Then the challenge round 1 is complete. 

If complete challenge round 1, repeated challenge again for a second time. 

If complete both challenges then will be in profit by 250 euros minus however many buyins we spent at 10 euro HUSNG. 

Bankroll currently 79.91 

If this fails and we bust... then no more poker until next month! So it's a tricky one... but let's see how we get on.... back after the first round of the challenge is complete! (because we refuse to bust! 🆒 )

Current stats before start:
-------------------------------------------

Crush it in 2021 Stats:
Invested: 25 euros
P/L: 25 euros (loss)

MTT's Played: 1
MTT's Won: 0

• Like 2

hmmm.....

1st) lost - played poorly.
2nd) won
3rd) won
4th) lost - not pay attention misclick blah
5th) lost
6th) lost
7th) lost

YAY lol. 

Bankroll 48.49 moving over to 5man's because they used to be softer than melted cheese lets see if they still are :) 

Plan.. Play 10 5 man 10 euros... or bust!

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)

9.)

10.)

@SkilfulPoker Sorry to read you didn't reach your goals, but I'm gonna be honest: no matter how good or bad you are, without proper bankroll management you'll get nowhere. I strongly believe this is the most important law in poker. I don't believe in the challenges you started. What I do like is that you say you prefer playing one table above playing 3 or 4 smaller tables, cause then you can take notes on players and have more focus. It's a good way to play and to learn, if you don't feel comfortable playing several tables at once. But... playing a €25 MTT with a €100 bankroll isn't the way to go. Even Phil Ivey can easily go broke this way :happy: So my advice would be to start again with proper bankroll management. My current rules are: I need 100 buy ins, so with a €100 bankroll I play max. €1 games, and in one session I can play/lose max. 2% of my bankroll. Everyone applies other bankroll management rules, so you should find rules you feel comfortable with. If you wanna put some bigger games into your schedule, I'd recommend playing qualifiers.

GL with your next challenge 😉

• Like 2

Hey @nightshopper thanks for the input! My goal was to deposit 100 euros a month and play with this, and eventually profit, I'm in no rush :)
If I deposit 100 euros over 10 months that is 1k , so essentially a 1k bankroll spread over 10 months. 
I'll make an effort to make my bankroll last if it plummets very low, like it has, but next month I'll be depositing another 100 euros, so fear not my friend, the challenge is still alive!

image.png.89beb3cfc4310f78d7de75151ac96213.png

This is the first time I'm playing since I last updated, I've been super busy, - so current bankroll is still 8.49 , well €8.50 now thanks to my GBP balance going up against euro. Anyhow... just about to fire up some 5man 1 euros, will report back here shortly how they went!

Hey guys, played for an hour or so, you used to be able to see how many flops you played in the client but I couldn't find that, anyone know how to find it? Or is that not a feature any more? 

Balance nearly doubled... up to the heady heights of 15.77 ;p 

image.png.2c1ae49aab8fc7ee81b7ddbf257fb548.png

Next time i'll continue the rebuild!

• Like 4