Climbing the SNG ladder

iLoveVeggies

Hi,

I'm gonna get straight to it. I'm starting this blogpost to hold my self accountable. To be honest I have bad discipline when it comes to poker. I'm always searching for "my game", something I will have an edge in. That makes me never setteling down and taking my time to get really good at just one game. I've played them all - razz, stud, omaha, hold'em, pineapple and so on. Fixed-, pot-, and no limit. I've played all kinds of sit n go's and MTTs. Well, atleast I used to back in the days. Now i'm a dad holding a real job and I have no desire "going pro". But I do like poker, alot. Which is why I still want to get better.

I have not played for a long time and the game has changed alot. I used to play alot of SNGs which is partly why i'm challenging myself to move up the SNG ladder here on Unibet.

So this is me holding myself accountable to get better. This blog (of some sort) will be focused around my thoughts and results moving up the SNG ladder. Hopefully someone will do this journey with me, or just chime in when they feel like it.

• Like 9

The plan

Stakes

I'm starting out at the €4 sng's. I will be under-rolled at first, but I can redeposit if needed. I'm finding it hard to get pumped for the €1 or €2, and since I have som (old) knowledge about sng's I hope I'll be OK att the €4's.

Bankroll management

Since it's been so long since I've logged my results playing sng's, it's hard to determine what kind of bankroll I need to last through the downswings. I'm thinkg the the less variance I experience and the higher return on investment, the small bankroll I need. And I will probably need less of a bankroll on lower stakes since the supposedly softer field compared to higher stakes. But since I will be under-rolled at first anyways I don't think I have to determine my bankroll requirements for next level (€10) just yet. I will play the 5-seat €4 sngs and base my baseroll for moving up on my results from the €4 sng's.

Also, here is a really interesting view on bankroll management for sng's, but since I don't know my ROI for example it's hard to apply just yet. I don't know the math presented in the paper but I understand the principles presented in text: check it out:

http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/244547/local_244547.pdf 

Lastly, I will play some games tonight and also tomorrow. I'll be back (hopefully tomorrow) with results and thoughts about the €4 sng's here at Unibet.

/Veggie

• Like 4

I hit the ground running. I guess it's not sustainable, but it's much appreciated to work up the bankroll instead of having to redeposit. I 3-tabled a total of 31 sng's since yesterday. Three tables is pretty nice since I can follow all action on all tables and get a read on all players. I will try playing more tables soon and see evalute later.

The level of play is quite uneven at these stakes. Mostly I find that players are folding too much or playing too loose. My advice to players at these stakes would be to play on the tighter side in the beginning at these stakes. Often I found myself 3-handed during the middle stages because players got knocked out when they overplayed hands. Then when the blinds go up you start raising the tighter players that's left. Those two simple principles yielded my result so far and contributed to my high ITM (=low variance). I will continue with the same game plan and maybe play some more tomorrow if I find the time.

This picture below is the results from each sng played since yesterday. Went through a dry spell game 12-20, but went on a heater towards the end when cashing in 8 of the last 12, including 6 first place finishes:

IMG_3162.thumb.jpg.c68c98a08d5c44ab181b14cd3826d54c.jpg

This picture below in the results so far.

IMG_3163.jpg.acc54000f94cca446b433328eb835feb.jpg

Good luck

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update

I've played SOME, not alot, SNGs lately. 34 to be exact. Tried playing six at a time with some bad results. Hard to say if it's variance or just me not being comfortable playing more than three table at a time. Anyway, the results are clear.

Pic 1: From row 33 to 52 I 6-tabled, from row 53 to 66 I went back to three tabling. The lower ROI I experienced during the first stretch do not make up for the added volume of adding more tables. I think I will keep playing three tables at a time and instead lower my bankroll requirements for moving up in stakes.

Pic 2: Summary of totalt results (not only this stretch im writing about),

image1.thumb.jpeg.e95f47fd74365750fe651f4e0e3f3c40.jpegimage0.thumb.jpeg.a76a517f5084e543a43ed4e6c11df3c5.jpeg

• Like 8