Challenge to get to UO 3k September Event

SkilfulPoker

Hey all, long time hope you're well! 

I took a bit of time off to focus on my small business because poker was getting in the way! As much as I love it, it was taking time and money I should have been putting into my small business. Well i've done that over the last while and things are now nicely ticking over on the work front. 

So I feel I can spend a bit of time now playing poker again. Was reading the threads lately and saw the 3k UO Special Event, it looks cool, and very interesting. 

Does anyone know why it's called EO and not UO ? Anyway. That's my plan with poker for the next 12 weeks. 

Win a seat into it. I'm going to start at the bottom at the 2 euros. I'm going to ask a friend if he wants to try the same thing later today, I think it'll be nice motivation to both try to win a seat starting at the lowest ladder. I'm going to have a think about bankroll strategy later, my thinking is move up with 10 tickets for the level above, but might need to give it a bit more thought later. 

Looking forward to giving it a go, will probabally start on Monday 🆒

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the challenge @SkilfulPoker, you can do it 👍

It's called EO(European Open) instead of the usual UO because most likely the live event will take place in Las Vegas and USA doesn't allow gambling sites to advertise or something like that...

You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind...

Good thinking @BillyR23! Smart thinking, well that would be pretty cool if it is in LV.

Have talked to my friend, and he's going to try to , so this should be fun.

Strategy is:

Starting with 20x2 euro bankroll (40 euros)

Plays 2's until have 10 x 10 tickets , then move up to 10's.

Play 10's until have 10 x 50 tickets, for 50's them move up to 50's.

Play 50's until have 10 x 250 tickets for 250's then move up to 250s.

If I have just 2 tickets left at any one level ,
    convert them and drop down to the level below for some bankroll management.

Hey : @MarcoV @JeppeL @testuser1

Can I just check on a couple of questions:

1) Can you convert tickets up and down if you want? so I have 2x10 , can I convert them to 10x2 ?

2) If you win the final package, can you move it to another date if you want if you can't attend?

3) What happens if you win two packages?

Thanks!

Level 2 stats

Played: 1     Lost: 1       Won: 0          Tickets to next level: 0/10

Cash Bankroll: €44   |    Ticket Bankroll: €0

I played ok I think, I made a bit of a light call down on two streets with open ended straight draw and over card on flop and turn.

Bust hand there was a guy limping every hand so with 10bbs I just kept punishing the limp. He called my MP shove with 11bbs, from UTG with K6, I had A3. 

So I think the play was ok.. He had a King.

Looking forward to the next one :Happy: 

Going to watch a SNG video now, see if I can learn anything :Wink:

Level 2 stats

Played: 3     Lost: 3       Won: 0          Tickets to next level: 0/10

Cash Bankroll: €40   |    Ticket Bankroll: €0

OK not a bad start, I played 3 today and played well no cashes but pleased with my play.

The break did me good I think, I feel nicely calm at the tables, and don't care too much I didn't cash any today. The one I just busted I got it in with AA vs KK, and lost 3 way PF.

Back to work now, more poker tomorrow!

@SkilfulPoker wrote:

Good thinking @BillyR23! Smart thinking, well that would be pretty cool if it is in LV.

Strategy is:

I'm sorry to crush your dream, but this will never ever work out. If you really want to qualify for the UO in Las Vegas your need more money/more time, probably both. In addition to that having 10 tickets at a certain level is not enough, believe me, I know from experience.

If your goal is Vegas, this will not work out and I'll bet that you'll end up at the UO2 level again before you go broke. If your goal is to reach any future UO, give yourself a broader time-frame (12-18 months) and shoot for 20-30 buy-ins before you move up. 

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDu wrote:

@SkilfulPoker wrote:

Strategy is:

I'm sorry to crush your dream, but this will never ever work out. If you really want to qualify for the UO in Las Vegas your need more money/more time, probably both. In addition to that having 10 tickets at a certain level is not enough, believe me, I know from experience.

If your goal is Vegas, this will not work out and I'll bet that you'll end up at the UO2 level again before you go broke. If your goal is to reach any future UO, give yourself a broader time-frame (12-18 months) and shoot for 20-30 buy-ins before you move up. 

You're not crushing my dream you're sharing your opinion, it's all good mate.

So finished work and decided to play a bit more. Played some cash and won, and then played UO sat's and won more than I lost this afternoon which was nice. 

Current Level:

Played: 9                  Tickets to next level: 2/10

Bankroll (inc tickets): €81

Top of da morning to ya! 

Today's schedule looks like this: 

9:25 - EO Special Edition 2
11.25 - EO Special Edition 2
14.25 - EO Special Edition €2
16.25 - EO Special Edition €2
17.05 - EO Special Edition €1 Turbo
17.25 - EO Special Edition €2
20:05 - EO Special Edition €1 Turbo
20.25 - EO Special Edition €2
21:05 - EO Special Edition €1 Turbo
22.25 - EO Special Edition €2

So far played the first six
and broke even winning a 10 euro ticket, and a 2 euro ticket.

Time for a couple of hours work now then back for the 8.05PM.

This challenge is reminding me about just how challenging and interesting poker can be, especially on the mental side of things. For instance the last game I played I could have easily locked up a 10 euro ticket, but ended up getting it in with JJ to lose to AQ.

Thought for today

The object of playing satellites is not to win a ticket. It's to play as well as you can. Much better to lose the satellite and play winning poker than to win a ticket and play losing poker... because I am grinding these as part of an overal challenge, so the individual games don't matter, what matters is consistently correct decisions 🆒

Will update tonight with results of remaining games:

20:05 - EO Special Edition €1 Turbo
20.25 - EO Special Edition €2
21:05 - EO Special Edition €1 Turbo
22.25 - EO Special Edition €2

Hopefully I can win another ticket in one of these, currently 30% of the way through level 1, with 3 tickets.   🆗

percent.png.e6b26459b547432ff8d79d2201360520.png

ticket.png.1cec0204692378a4956e16a210c30903.png

Played a few sngs, and ran good, which was nice, so now have 100 in the bankroll.

I was debating whether to stay at level 1 until i have won 10 tickets, but having discussed with a pal who I'm doing the challenge with we've decided that's pretty pointless, the idea was to start with 40 and win a vegas package, using 10 buyins move up rules, so I have 10 buyins and am going to jump up into the 10's.

Because I have exactly 10 bi's now and no more spare change in my bankroll, it does mean that I am going to have to focus exclusively on these sats now, and can't play any thing else on the side.

Starting Br: 43
Current Br: 100.38

Level 1 complete!

1466145647_brupdate.png.13785229f9cc9372ab79d18bf1bba210.png

Moving up to 10's :Cash::Thumbsup:

That's a wrap for day 2:

I spent the evening finding my feet at the 10's and also watched a bit of HensiePensie's stream which was nice.

Level 2    10's   
Played: 3   | Progress to next level 1/10

Bankroll: 13050-2.png.1c6067d3680b52692163d0ec05876c87.png

Nice to win the last game of the night and get the first ticket to the 50's, recorded here for prosperity, lol.

I played 3 10's tonight, lost the first. Second I won a 10 euro ticket back and third I cashed the ticket for next round.

50.png.0d253d398ccf6e397b6063f46296cab4.png

The 10's are a slower structure than the 2's which is nice. I prefer slower structures!

Lots of room for improvement.

- Tomorrow I want to focus on being detatched at the table.
- Not being too results orientated
- Not butchering any chip leads near the bubble!

Today's schedule: 

11.25 - EO Special Edition 10
13.25 - EO Special Edition 10
16.25 - EO Special Edition €10
18.25 - EO Special Edition €10 (Turbo)
19.25 - EO Special Edition €10
21.05 - EO Special Edition €10
22.25 - EO Special Edition €10 (Turbo)

I'm reading Zen and the Art of Poker right now, it's a great book for the mental game, and each time I read it it's like reading it for the first time. To help with the challenge I decided to start reading it again from the beginning and I'll be sharing daily some wisdom that I've pulled out of it.

Here are some quotes that I thought were very useful, that I read today in the opening chapter: 

The great poker players, through a lifelong discipline at the game, eventually attain a kind of Zen state, one in which they are perfectly attuned to the rhythm of what is taking place in front of them.

Consider the following quote from poker writer Rex Jones:

All the great mystics of the world chose the middle path, the one between endless joy and endless suffering . . . The greatest mystic of them all, Gautama Buddha, knew that there were many methods of achieving enlightenment. Why not the game of poker? Poker has all the attributes of a great meditation technique. It’s a mind game of the first order. It calls for a knowledge of math, psychology, strategy, tactics and self-discipline.

The great poker players, through a lifelong discipline at the game, eventually attain a kind of Zen state, one in which they are perfectly attuned to the rhythm of what is taking place in front of them.

The chapter also goes on to say: 

Certainly one of the most widespread failures in the realm of poker is emotional control. This is a failure so large that its impact rivals playing the wrong hands, not knowing the correct percentages, or raising and betting at the wrong times.

As with many things in poker there is a paradox with my challenge. The party atmosphere in Vegas is appealing, but to actually achieve success at poker, you need to play well and play professionally. So to achieve the goal of winning this package, I am going to have to act completely the opposite to the stereotype of Vegas, while playing online and trying to secure the seat :Happy:

How cool would it be to "attain a kind of Zen state...perfectly attuned to the rhythm of what is taking place" when playing poker?

The player that best represents this to me is Phil Ivey. 

So that's the challenge within the challenge today. To start working on developing this inner zen :Sleepy::Angel: at the tables.

Interesting thing i just noticed, the 10 euro UO sats charge 10% rake,
but the STT 10 euro sngs, charge 5% rake.
hmm.. i wonder if it'll be more profitable to play the STT's to build a vegas bankroll. :geek:

Not too sure but interesting pause for thought. Maybe there are some overlays in the bigger sats and this makes up for the 10% rake? Also not sure how standard 10% rake is in satellites as I don't usually play them  😏

@SkilfulPoker wrote:

Interesting thing i just noticed, the 10 euro UO sats charge 10% rake,

but the STT 10 euro sngs, charge 5% rake.

hmm.. i wonder if it'll be more profitable to play the STT's to build a vegas bankroll. :geek:

Not too sure but interesting pause for thought. Maybe there are some overlays in the bigger sats and this makes up for the 10% rake? Also not sure how standard 10% rake is in satellites as I don't usually play them  😏

I think the best way is as AndreiBN mentioned betting till you get 2K and then playing one of the final rounds-if lost bet till you get the money back. As a trustfull community member wrote in your blog time is too short to grind up.

@AndreiBN wrote:

Don't you stream on Twitch anymore?Would be nice to watch you again and do some live sports betting :D

Thanks for kind words @AndreiBN I will at some point stream again, I'm kind of slotting in the sats in between working at the moment. I work from home at the PC. I would definately like to stream again in the future for sure, maybe in a month or two once I get a bit more time. I've setup alarms for all of the 10 euro sat times on my phone, and I just work away, and then go and play them :d

Screenshot_20170522-154110.thumb.png.4622e32bd1f5ef39617da5b3b30a4abe.png

It's funny I'll be working away and then just get a little alarm to tell me I have 5 minutes until the next sat 🤣

Screenshot_20170522-153925.thumb.png.0d91245e9f095d0300deda22711835f7.png

So the day consists of trying to climb up the sat ladders, while also earning some money to pay bills and provide spending money for vegas  :cash::happy:

Are you going to go to Vegas? Any plans to win a seat?

Hey : @Marco-Unibet @Jeppe-Unibet @Stubbe-Unibet

Can I just check on a couple of questions:

1) Can you convert tickets up and down if you want? so I have 2x10 , can I convert them to 10x2 ?

2) If you win the final package, can you move it to another date if you want if you can't attend?

3) What happens if you win two packages?

Thanks!

Hi @SkilfulPoker, glad to see you here and nice to hear the business is doing well :)

I'll help the best I can:

1) We can convert tickets into what I'd call "down", like you describe: E.G a €10 ticket to 5 x €2 or €50 to 5 x €10.

2) We usually only move a package once for each player, if you need to do it a second time there would have to be a really good explanation. Why not be more flexible? We don't want players to grind the packages with the intention of exchanging to bonus points, we actually want to send players to play in the Unibet Open tournaments :)

3) Let's cross that bridge if we get to it - usually you can use it for the next event, but since this package is bigger it'll probably both be an event and bonus points.

/Jeppe

Former Community Manager

@JeppeL wrote:

Hi @SkilfulPoker, glad to see you here and nice to hear the business is doing well :)

1) We can convert tickets into what I'd call "down", like you describe: E.G a €10 ticket to 5 x €2 or €50 to 5 x €10.

Any discount for forum members? Buy five get six or so?😛

@SkilfulPoker For sure i'll try to qualify for this event.And if i don't manage to do it,i will just buy in directly,with the help of sports betting :D.It's an event that i don't wanna miss and for sure it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Hopefully to see you again pretty soon  on Twitch.One month is way to long. Kappa :D

"When things are bad, it's the best time to reinvent yourself"

@psrquack wrote:

@JeppeL wrote:

Any discount for forum members? Buy five get six or so?😛

Then I'd be busy exchanging them here from 50 to 6*10 and then asking the support to merge 5 of 10 into 1 of 50

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Wow this was slightly painful.. but i didn't get too annoyed so the zen poker theme today is helping a bit...

what.thumb.png.a222e38315202f1f688da40fb6ba01da.png

He limps for 40.. I 3bet... pf he calls... 

I bet flop he calls, I bet turn he calls.... 

On river I have 400 chips left.... and his prayer comes true for the ten on the river!

:waterfall: :waterfall:

Well that's a wrap for day 3

I played all seven of the 10 sats today, and more or less broke even , also won a stack at €4nl.

Bankroll: 128.74

day3.png.4fdf76eb3dd9c6609d0f92a34b53ac29.png

But hey you can't win them all right.

I worked hard with my mental game today and am pleased with the progress on that front :Thumbsup:

Tomorrow is another day with plenty more shiny 50 euro sat tickets waiting to be secured! :Cash:

Archived