Cashing In.

GR1ZZL3R

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

[...] The really annoying thing to me seems to be that when anyone else is drawing to a flush or straight they get there and I lose hands where I'm so far ahead to start with, but when I'm drawing I never get there. This is absolutely not selective memory, I'm going back and checking the hands after the session.

You might think it’s not selective memory but it kind of is. Even when it’s not. Let me explain: You can only check back on hands where you’ve seen your oppent’s hole cards. But what about all the hands that didn’t go to showdown? You might have been hitting cards left and right yourself – maybe your opponents folded their strong hands (that were way ahead) every time they were falling behind. There’s so much information we don’t have when it comes down to luck.

I’m not doubting you had a bad run. Obviously, you were unlucky. But there’s a lot more to being lucky/unlucky than meets the eye. It’s often hard to see.

What I’m trying to say: You can’t control your luck. You can only control how you react to it. It could even be detrimental to run too good (if you understand what I mean by that). It’s hard to stay in control when you feel like your opponents have superhuman hitting skills. Your mind is busy with cursing at them/not believing how they can be so lucky/thinking about the last time you hit one of your draws etc. Whenever you experience that state of mind you should immediately quit your session. If you’re mentally skilled enough you could –alternatively – allow yourself to be angry for like five seconds; after that you put your negative emotions into the back-end of your brain and focus on your table again (that’s something Daniel Negreanu did/does in tournaments).

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@CuteRaven @GamesDean Thanks for the replies.

Sleep definitely is not a problem, all my life I've gone to bed and gone to sleep. Excercise and the social life are a bit more problematic. I used to be very active, always preferring to play (anything) rather than watch, but that has slowed down very much over the years due to many factors. I'm in reasonable health and try to walk everywhere as much as possible, I know sitting for long hours is not good, and occasionally go to my local club for an odd pint but very little else. I'm toying with trying the Keto diet and intermittent fasting, which I've sort of done over the years without knowing it.  I've done a lot of research and have already cut sugar out completely, not quite sure wether to fully commit.

As for luck, a truly subjective matter. I've been critical in other threads over this but it looks like I've fallen victim to some of the same, probably flawed, thinking that I've accused others of. I try to be as objective as possible but the only quantifiable hands are those that do go to showdown. If I'm trying a naked bluff and villain folds, I can't say I was lucky, he may have had worse than me. If I miss my OES and flush draw and fold on the river I don't know if I was unlucky, he may have missed a draw as well and still won with a worse hand, just had more heart to see it through. If you flip a coin and I call heads but it falls on the pavement and rolls down a drain we'll never know wether I was lucky or not. I believe we can't control our luck but am a fan of Gary Player's reply when accused of being lucky, "The more I practice the luckier I get." I know I do have tilt issues, both winning and losing but haven't got round to reading "The Mental Game of Poker" yet, I should make it a priority, and the relatively small amount I play means I'll never win huge or, hopefully, never lose huge either. Call me a rec, I don't really mind. 😃

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

@CuteRaven @GamesDean Thanks for the replies.

Sleep definitely is not a problem, all my life I've gone to bed and gone to sleep. Excercise and the social life are a bit more problematic. I used to be very active, always preferring to play (anything) rather than watch, but that has slowed down very much over the years due to many factors. I'm in reasonable health and try to walk everywhere as much as possible, I know sitting for long hours is not good, and occasionally go to my local club for an odd pint but very little else. I'm toying with trying the Keto diet and intermittent fasting, which I've sort of done over the years without knowing it.  I've done a lot of research and have already cut sugar out completely, not quite sure wether to fully commit.

As for luck, a truly subjective matter. I've been critical in other threads over this but it looks like I've fallen victim to some of the same, probably flawed, thinking that I've accused others of. I try to be as objective as possible but the only quantifiable hands are those that do go to showdown. If I'm trying a naked bluff and villain folds, I can't say I was lucky, he may have had worse than me. If I miss my OES and flush draw and fold on the river I don't know if I was unlucky, he may have missed a draw as well and still won with a worse hand, just had more heart to see it through. If you flip a coin and I call heads but it falls on the pavement and rolls down a drain we'll never know wether I was lucky or not. I believe we can't control our luck but am a fan of Gary Player's reply when accused of being lucky, "The more I practice the luckier I get." I know I do have tilt issues, both winning and losing but haven't got round to reading "The Mental Game of Poker" yet, I should make it a priority, and the relatively small amount I play means I'll never win huge or, hopefully, never lose huge either. Call me a rec, I don't really mind. 😃

Nor should you.

For what it's worth you sound like you put a fair bit of time into trying to better your game. I've still got Dara's book sitting here unfinished and really CBA putting much (or any usually) effort into improving my game. 

At the end of the day it's a hobby which doesn't cost anything and occasionally pays for a bit of real fun too. 

Enjoy your trip to Newcastle, i'll try to make it up there again too. :)

• Like 2

@DoktorAvalanche 

If I'm a rec then so be it, I'm so much more at peace now I've accepted that. Like thousands or more I started playing poker for the two main reasons, I was fascinated by the game and thought I could make money at it. I still love the game, when I don't actually hate it, but long ago accepted I was never going to be a world beater. I set up these challenges to prove to myself that I'm not a complete loser, two main highlights being the trip to Dublin (which was lucked into) and winning a UK Tour package, (my original intention) for far less than the actual cost. The cash games continue to be a niggle, I can win at 2-4c but never seem able to step up, I really can't say wether it's a mental problem or run bad at the wrong time, but I'll continue to batter away in my own plodding style and enjoy what I'm doing. It is my main hobby, and I'm now looking forward to Newcastle for the occasion, never mind what happens on the tables.

Dara's book PSS really is worth reading, and I've started "The Mental Game of Poker," too soon to say wether it will help, and I do continue to watch and read, quite a bit  actually when I think about it, maybe too much at a time and not letting it sink in. Hope you and many others make Newcastle, should be fun.

1591054761_Screenshot(1660).png.745d85a0b8e08ab25272e417a092cc95.png

This one's for @MadAdo, slowly but surely. :Smile:

• Like 3

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@MadAdo It may be "God mode" today but it can change so quickly, such a tiny sample.

I could give you my aliases but then I'd have to kill you, we don't want that. 🤣 I actually never play two cash sessions with the same name, once I've done on a table that name has gone forever. I could be lurking on a table near you! 🤫

• Like 1

@MadAdo wrote:

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

<...>

503235515_Screenshot(1660).png.9c7be0ecc08bb8320ae39d1924810131.png

This one's for @MadAdo, slowly but surely. :Smile:

@GR1ZZL3R  GOD like mode: triple up during just 50 flops ? amazing, keep on going/rolling :Thumbsup: :Cash: :Ok:

EDIT: give me LIST of all your 'aliases' -> seems to be really wise to avoid you at the tables right-now :Scared:

@GR1ZZL3R  I do the MATH over weekend :Rofl::

Just 46 flops generates +11.66€ profit to your CG ticket (my tiny god, that is absolutely AMAZINGLY a LOT !!!) ...

So lets calculate your winning 'rate': 1166/46 = 25c (rounded) per single flop !!! (aka 6BB/hand :Inlove: ) => so if you manage to keep your 'god-like' until ticket flop requirements -> a sweet of +76.04€ profit is waiting for you (+6€ value of ticket) :Thumbsup:

You also had insanely 600BB/100 hands rate which is something nobody can compete! I keep you all of my fingers crossed - let's make all dream happen :Cash:

• Like 2

@GR1ZZL3R  I do the MATH over weekend 🤣:

Just 46 flops generates +11.66€ profit to your CG ticket (my tiny god, that is absolutely AMAZINGLY a LOT !!!) ...

So lets calculate your winning 'rate': 1166/46 = 25c (rounded) per single flop !!! (aka 6BB/hand :inlove: ) => so if you manage to keep your 'god-like' until ticket flop requirements -> a sweet of +76.04€ profit is waiting for you (+6€ value of ticket) 👍

You also had insanely 600BB/100 hands rate which is something nobody can compete! I keep you all of my fingers crossed - let's make all dream happen :cash:

@MadAdo 

I love your enthusiasm and calculations, something I'm doing all the time, but we have to keep in mind that this is a very small sample, what has happened in the past won't necessarily continue for even a short while into the future, let alone till the ticket is cleared. I'm sorry to bring you down with a bump but yesterday's session was a totally different story, my first losing run on the ticket. It's not all doom and gloom though, I'm still running at 40bb/100, (which I'm very pleased with) pretty good if that were over thousands of hands, but not really significant over such a small run.

I played over two hours yesterday, still one table, and for the majority it was against short stackers and a pretty wild bunch, losing one big pot with top pair beaten by an Ace on the river, and another with the usual KK, beaten by a flopped Ace, only two hands out of over 255 that made a big dent. The difference if I'd won just the KK hand would have been amazing but the new improved mentally balanced me didn't even bother trying to work out where I would have been if I'd won, something that I used to stress about badly in the past. It is exactly that, in the past, and no amount of 20-20 hindsight, wringing of hands, gnashing of teeth or rending of garments will alter what has gone before, so I look ahead to today's effort with no mental baggage weighing me down. (Do I sound convincing? :wonder:)

A surprising bye-product was the appearance of a Double Trouble ticket today, I thought they were only for actual cash lost, not cash tickets, so that's another chance to boost the br. 🤣

To Infinity and Beyond. 👍

• Like 2

@Dennis_ I've played a few over a couple of years and you are totally correct, the cash players seem to struggle in them. I basically see how long I can go before having  to play a hand, just don't get invoved in multi-way pots, then when it's nearer the bubble seeing who blinks first. 

Cute Cat Staring Contest GIF

• Like 4

@MadAdo 

These games could be termed "fun" you can have a decent stack coming to the back end but dribble your chips away very quickly. I made 30bb very early with AK flopping a K, but I think this next hand nicely illustrates the standard of play.

1750583740_Screenshot(1681)_LI.thumb.jpg.25ea0cb55d317c19357b3de6621b153c.jpg 

Eleven minutes in and I raise 3bb after a limp, get called. Great flop for me, I bet half pot + 1 bb, called by 2nd pair. Turn, I bet half pot + 2bb, get called by 3rd pair. River's good, how much to bet. I just carried on, half pot + 4 bb, not really expecting action but called by 4th best pair. There was a lot more thinking than this but I don't want to go too deeply into it, it's just a quick example, and I'm not being critical, (I don't know the player) but it does show the sort of standard.

This took me to about 50th, but still a big field. 

Nothing significant happened for a while but steadily sliding down the field as the blinds increased, I hit one lucky hand.

1097030080_Screenshot(1683).thumb.png.562d2cdbad93f3a82ba936086c845563.png 

From about 300 left to about 200 the field thins quite quickly as all the sleepers are blinded out.

This left me in 17/171 at the break, seemingly fairly well inside the cutoff point, but as we know it's never that easy.

987110290_Screenshot(1684).thumb.png.592e6d105fc0ceff45f89276390eadd1.png 

Sheer patience from this point in, don't panic and don't do anything stupid. I didn't really have any opportunity, gradually sliding butkeeping a close watch.

Down to 65/119 it was folded to me in the BB, so I shoved and got a fold..............

1315244650_Screenshot(1686).thumb.png.3ce195581f9bec506e4299cd82c463ac.png

..............then received a very welcome walk when preparing to call a shove or shove myself.

253828785_Screenshot(1688).thumb.png.442835ca28045c19214370f26d28b1f6.png 

This left me 40/105 and totally relaxed, it was all over very quickly after that. Even the chipleader only had about 20bb at that stage, so it shows how tight these games can be, a couple of loose calls and you can be down amongst the stragglers.

It was only one game so means very little but just for the record I was not dealt any of the following.

AA, KK,QQ,JJ,10/10, or 9/9. 

One suited broadway, AJ, one AK and one AQ. 

I was all in twice, winning both with overcards to small pairs, and shoved twice without being called. 

Was I lucky? I've no idea, probably yes, but most of the time I didn't have to be, just patient.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761193c21d12f02103e1a7

• Like 5

803793175_Screenshot(1707).thumb.png.2cf6962ffbaf4ccbc76fe531f4a83ded.png 

scared the lord of the rings GIFI feel your pain when you lose your "precious."

What is the point of studying, playing carefully, not going down dark and murky paths that can only lead to misery, then being sucked out on by a hand that really has no right to be in the pot from the start?

However, I know tomorrow, after a good steak dinner and 8 hours of blissful sleep, I'll feel differently, and I already have the masterplan ticking over. :Thumbsup:

• Like 4

@Dennis_ I played the first session and my KK got beaten by a flopped set of fours, nothing unusual there, it just seems I'm fated to run bad with big cards. I came off that table, reloaded under a different alias and found myself back on the same table in the same seat. I played for the next hour with nothing exciting happen except to say I was over €1 up, without going to showdown once.  When I see players insta-calling, insta-raising and insta-allins I'm pretty sure they are not thinking too deeply about their hands. I played slowly, not slow rolling. Any pair to some players is a raise, top pair is a re-raise, if the board's 3 to a flush and 3 or 4 to a straight and paired it doesn't seem to slow some players down. When I flopped top two pairs, J/10 on a J/10/4 mono board I'm quite happy to bet. When the river comes a 4 after all in on the turn and villain shows 6-4 I get upset. I'm not going to dwell on it, but it does make you shake your head at times, as @Brocky and others wonder, just what are they thinking? Are they thinking? I don't know but I never seem to catch them at the right time. 

A newcomer had called a raise pre with 86o, called the flop c-bet, called the turn, and still called the river with exactly 8 high????  Next hand he shoved Q2s pre and got called by AA. €4 down in 2 hands, he left. Looking on the bright side my €4 lasted over an hour. 🤣

• Like 1

@GR1ZZL3R , I do believe 80% of the players at NL4 are not thinking at all. They just look their cards and will call you with almost any pair on every single board-no matter if double paired, flush, straights or etc possible. In my opinion strong value betting your hands is the best strategy on this level, fold equiaty is nearly zero xD 

• Like 2

MONDAY MORNING BLUES.

As others have mentioned elsewhere the frustration just builds and builds, and wether you let off steam by by by kicking the cat (don't :teardrop:), breaking the mouse (don't :teardrop:), or having a rant in the forum (by all means do 😃), not much seems to help. 

There I am enjoying a nice steady 4 tabling session of relaxing poker, congratulating myself on how in control I am, when it hits the fan. 

Unlike @Brocky my sessions always seem to start well and go downhill.

1176280822_Screenshot(1763).thumb.png.b546f4c2dc040726c8c547170dd78de0.png

I put him all in for his last 30c more in hope than expectation but get paid by Q high. :happy:

Why is it when I chase a flush or straight it never seems to come.................

1353006513_Screenshot(1765).thumb.png.a543b81cf40322bb5986204015be77ba.png 

...............except when it does?

797758016_Screenshot(1776).thumb.png.55055e33262902882596c3270d4a2867.png1297536067_Screenshot(1777).thumb.png.7017ea8e59e7049b3f86bcd24ed94f81.png947474324_Screenshot(1778).thumb.png.7b694af529e9d7d589bfcceb8ea88323.png 

Then another flopped set, but instead of winning small......................

725236675_Screenshot(1769).thumb.png.562e2710abb22a4ca29bd2776c269400.png654896062_Screenshot(1770).thumb.png.0ca39d03a9d9a4d93c634ba3a2c23bfe.png1298531390_Screenshot(1771).thumb.png.f49efe48203132e92da25c90e33ffef8.png1149616511_Screenshot(1772).thumb.png.2060a5cedad185d70d468de97362d57f.png360430104_Screenshot(1773).thumb.png.e9e55e05d95d1b683d614c3fe7019852.png1154048707_Screenshot(1774).thumb.png.6cf585359c102652716b7af72f967b5d.png862542846_Screenshot(1775).thumb.png.0e2b8650ff22ae6f78e0a1d4359f64d0.png 

...............crushed!  :Waterfall: 

Don't ever take things for granted, the sword of Damocles is always present.

From cruise control and ahead I very suddenly went down and took the only available option.

run away monty python GIF

• Like 4

My dear @psrquack 

Since slipping over the falls when desperately trying to cling on to my cash tickets and landing with a terribly hard, though not fatal, fall, it became a time of reflection and re-appraisal. 

The primary object was winning a UK Tour ticket, happily achieved some while ago with the considerable help of Poker Satellite Strategy, a highly commendable work and recommended as a Number One read for the satellite trail. This still left a good stack of UK tickets to be worked through, at no great pace, hopefully to achieve back up Tour Tickets or tickets for future events.This and the secondary object, a UO Tour Ticket, have sadly been neglected while I was busy chasing the third villain, a particularly slippery customer, Variance.

As a result of much thinking and research into the mental side of poker a new and hopefully improved schedule has gradually taken shape. I've slowly let the UK €1 dwindle away, a far longer process than originally planned, due in part to lack of motivation, a clear strategy, and a few other distracting projects, but now feel able to set out a revised schedule.

Mornings will be spent on "Talking Horses," that thread will be back on 01/03/20, with a full month of my selections, win or lose it will be given a fair crack of the whip to see wether it can be made profitable.

Afternoons will be spent on "Cashing In," 4 x €12 tickets from the bonus shop will be used to attempt to overcome the black hearted villain Variance, again starting Sunday. It's not exactly going to be Death or Glory, but like the horses it's got to be given a fair run, maybe €48 is far too small a start but I've seen others do it from smaller beginnings, and I don't intend to die in the process but to face my fears head on and use every possible trick to spring the trap. 

Evenings will be spent playing UK €5, UO €2 and UO €10, but only when not occupied with other things, watching sport, films, YTube or studying. This could make it an even longer process than it has been so far, and even though Malta is now the ultimate aim only time will tell wether I have what it takes to make it.

From many of the videos I've watched and articles I've read a consistent theme has been to prioritize, so hopefully a regular schedule will keep me concentrated on the road to success.

I hope I find you well and succeeding in your own projects,

Yours,

608178107_Screenshot(926).png.a5b184a42953df4a936604c073ec8b4f.png

• Like 9