Blog: Let's play one or two, or 200k sngs

monkeyheaven

hey, nice to see you back, would be interested in poker content and job stuff, seems interesting, specifically how you got the position and then what the day to day is like, as much as you can share of course

• Like 2

Nice blog, I am having good success with 10 euro 5man SNGs (acheiving 14% ROI 6 tabling over 2000 games) and I'm wondering if you can still play 12 tables with the new reduced time limit. If I try and 9 table I find myself timing out frequently and it it too hecktic for my liking (I tend to make big errors and don't think through my lines)

• Like 2

@cbell wrote:

Nice blog, I am having good success with 10 euro 5man SNGs (acheiving 14% ROI 6 tabling over 2000 games) and I'm wondering if you can still play 12 tables with the new reduced time limit. If I try and 9 table I find myself timing out frequently and it it too hecktic for my liking (I tend to make big errors and don't think through my lines)

Very nice ROI, i think it should be possible once the "auto time bank" get introduced in the next update 21st this month. :happyshy:

• Like 2

Thanks, feel like I am running above EV but there is basically no way of knowing except by playing a lot more games. I played like 3000 last year with an ROI of 4%, but I took a few months off poker, started studying the game properly ( was doing zero study last year) and results have been great. I think it's partially to do with the increase of recreational players since lockdown, the games are great lately.

• Like 2

@successlaw bit of a late reply from me.  Back in the day I was 27 tabling mostly short handed sngs.  This was on stars, where the software helps a lot.  I'm an old man now, 12 tables on unibet feels about right in terms of maximizing my hourly.  

If you're looking to increase number of tables, the thing that's slowing you down the most almost certainly is the time you need to think through decisions, rather than monitor size or setup etc. The more you study and play the faster many of your decisions will become. Also, streamline decision making; example if a hand is approx same +$EV to openraise as to openshove, choose the more straightforward line. Good luck

• Like 2

@UAC wrote:

hey, nice to see you back, would be interested in poker content and job stuff, seems interesting, specifically how you got the position and then what the day to day is like, as much as you can share of course

@UAC I googled poker jobs . Worked for me, though I wasn't particularly connected within the poker community, majority of the team were referred by a friend. Though I'd had some experience in catching cheats when I was a player, I don't think this was a big factor in getting the position.  If you have a good depth of poker knowledge, are passionate about the game, and ideally have some other relevant experience (software, project management, gaming industry etc) poker rooms (should) be interested in talking with you.

Day to day, it's a mix of developing systems to catch poker fraud more effectively and then applying those systems to catch collusion and bots (personally, I cover sng and MTT).  Hopefully will cover this a bit more at some point.  

• Like 2

@cbell wrote:

@cbell very nice results. Didn't even realise they'd changed the time limit, yeah still 12 tabling without too much difficulty. What change did they make?

• Like 1

@monkeyheaven wrote:

@cbell wrote:

@cbell very nice results. Didn't even realise they'd changed the time limit, yeah still 12 tabling without too much difficulty. What change did they make?

https://www.unibetcommunity.com/t5/General-Poker/Release-notes-2-40-timebank-time-to-act-and-rake-changes/m-p/315828#M46353

https://www.unibetcommunity.com/t5/General-Poker/Release-notes-2-41-and-downtime/m-p/323041

• Like 1

@FreedoM wrote:

@cbell wrote:

Very nice ROI, i think it should be possible once the "auto time bank" get introduced in the next update 21st this month. :happyshy:

@FreedoM Do you know how big auto timebank will be for sngs?  This is definitely the way to go, reduced time to act and increased timebanks, will make a big positive difference for me

Edit: thanks for the links, looking forward to these changes

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone excited to play the Unibet sng promo this month?  On paper it looks amazing, maybe one of the best value promos I've seen on any site, and one that rewards everyone.  I'm planning to take afternoons off work to grind it and attempt to win the leaderboard, at least for the first week then reassess. 

https://www.unibet.co.uk/promotions/poker-promotions/sng-boosted-october

Very intrigued to see how this plays out. 

Past experience with volume based promos on Unibet is that games become reg-infested and this negates much of the value of the promo, but this is a little different, the leaderboard race is quite a small component of the promo compared to the value of playing rake free, this should appeal to all not just grinders.

Will elite sng players switch from stars/party to grind the 100s?  I will be losing money if I played vs them, but Unibet rake at 50s/100s has been industry low for some time and they attract no interest, so will they switch for this promo?  Obv I'm hoping not.

Will Unibet cash regs play?  Guessing not as they will be hurting their chances of earning high % rakeback for the rest of the quarter, might be wrong about this.

Will Unibet tourney regs play?  Maybe a few, depending on who exactly could be good or bad for the toughness of the games.

Hopefully the promo encourages recreational players to jump up from 10s to 25s, or 25s to 50s, its a great promo for these players.  Feeling slightly nervous about playing possibly my highest total buyins amount ever over the next week, particularly as I'm no longer playing professionally, fingers crossed.

• Like 6

Hey @Dennis__ , I've never really thought of exchanging aliases before.  I'm pretty strict on changing mine every couple hours, hopefully for some of that time at least other regs assume I'm a recreational player, so I prob wouldnt want an alias of another reg and dont think you would get much value from having my old ones, but let me know if you want mine I dont mind you having them.  Is this a thing that people do, might have to rethink everything I thought about regs that dont change their alias 😃

And GL to you too

I'm hopping into the mix again as well, first full sng grind in 2 years time for me yesterday. So you definitely played me a bunch as well :D

What do you think, any chance the 50s and 100s could see a revival that goes on after the promo as well, with the lowered rake to 2%?

Hey @Caladrias   , Welcome back, yeah we played quite a bit yesterday.

Hopefully what the promo does is increase awareness of unibet as a viable option for low stakes sngs.  There's really only 3 (debatably 4) options for this but most players don't know about Unibet.

As for decreasing the rake at 50+, I'm sceptical that it will make any difference. Personally, now that I am no longer playing professionally I am less likely to play 50+ even though I've historically done very well at these games because the low volume of games available introduces a lot of variance. There just is no longer enough recreational players to make the higher stakes games profitable for pros, the games only run on other sites because regs are essentially paid to play (get >100% rb) and the sites make a small amount from the recs that make the games run. So paying 2% rake might still be too much, and the effect on the ecology of paying pros to play is debatable , but I am available if unibet want to chat

What I would do is offer >100% rb at 50+ only to any player that plays a qualifying number of lower stakes sng each day/week. This encourages players to the site to build liquidity and pay a fair amount of rake at low stakes and to open sit 50+

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...