Ask questions, get help and enjoy Unibet
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MoreTBC Rank 22
Rank 22

Disclaimer: The views expressed in the following blog/brain fart are my own and do not in any way represent the thoughts of anyone that actually knows how to play poker. Challenges and goals may be posted in this blog from time to time, do not expect any of them to be completed. Also, do not expect results tracking to be consistent or accurate, I'm lazy about that kinda stuff. I accept no responsibility for any loss of €€€ caused by following my advice or copying of my actions. Readers must also accept the fact that at some point I will mistype 'the' as 'teh' due to some sort of weird muscle memory I have and that in general grammar/punctuation rules will not be followed.

If you do not accept the above disclaimer please click HERE.

If you accept the above disclaimer then welcome aboard and good luck Cool

average.jpg

The Introduction

Right, so here we go then. Best to start off with a little background story so you can understand what you're letting yourself in for Smile

I'm 32, I live in Aberdeen (Scotland) and I occasional try to win money playing poker. I have a 9-5 job in the telecommunications industry that pays the bills and keeps me out of trouble and I'm also a part time DJ on the weekends. I'll sprinkle some IRL stuff into the blog from time to time but if I'm honest I do the same stuff every week so it's not that exciting Geek

Now the IRL stuff is out the way, let's talk poker!

The Early days

I have no idea when I started playing poker to be honest... It's got to be 10 years ago, maybe more. The first site I can remember actively playing on was pokerroom.com. It felt like a great site to play on, it was part of a decent network with lots of skins and have plenty of action. If I could go back and look at it now though it probably overraked players, had terrible structures and offered stupid VIP programs but when you first start you don't look at those things.. just getting a tingle in your loins the first time you double up or cash a $5 MTT is enough. I had no concept of BRM or anything like that and was a losing player, but I didn't really care. I was using disposable income and the dream of winning the big bucks kept me playing. I did what most players did and bounced around various sites whenever they had good bonus/reload offers on. I never had any big wins though and eventually stopped playing. I think the only 'big' win I can remember was playing in a freeroll on Ladbrokes where the top 50 got entry into a big entry MTT ($500+ buyin) and the 10 or so before the ticket payout got $300. I actively tried to get the $300 because I thought it was better value. I finished 51st Cool

Going by Sharkscope (no, you can't have my alias Haha) I played a little in 2012 on PS but I imagine that was just a $50 deposit based on some promo email I got and it didn't go well. Fast forward to this time 2014 and it looks like I started playing again on PS. I don't know what drove me to play again but what followed is the classic poker story. I played for the about a month and then blink!.. 1st place in a $2.70 Turbo KO. Goodbye 5000+ players, hello $1630. From then on I definitely had the bug. I was still a losing player but I would hit a big win every now and again to keep me going. I had two 1K+ cashes in 2015 and a few in the $700-900 mark but in general I still sucked as a player. In retrospect I was probably just running really hot and getting lucky. About August 2015 the luck ran out and from then on I had no major wins and generally just sucked. I was chasing my tail for the big win, playing more tables and taking shots I shouldn't have. I've never been really good at BRM but at the end of 2015 I didn't even know what it meant.

I started watching a lot of stuff on Twitch during 2015 which helped the bug.. Jason Somerville, Jamie Staples, Tonkaaa etc. This was where I really started thinking about my decision process when playing. Ranges, equity, outs.. all these poker terms I'd heard before but never fully understood started to make a little more sense. They were all playing for hundreds/thousands of dollars but things they were saying or doing could be used in the micro stakes I was playing. The stuff that really stuck with me though was the way they approached things mentally. Dealing with variance, bad beats and tough spots. The one thing that was consistent between them all was that if you are making good/profitable decisions then the outcome isn't as important because in the end you're winning. It's something I've definitely used on the tables and IRL and I feel better for it.

Coming to Unibet

I imagine this is a pretty standard poker story now too Smile. Battling 1000s of player on PS can be fun and all but most of the time it's just a grind and you're one bad beat away from 5 hours of play being wasted. Part of being absorbed into the Twitch world was hearing about 2+2, a poker forum that has been around for as long as Doyle Brunson. One thing that kept coming up on the forum was players saying how easy playing on Unibet was and how the rewards were great etc. Easy opponents you say? Good value for money you say? Sign me up! I plopped down my £50 at the cashier and got me some Euros, a massive signup bonus and a gaggle of welcome tickets. I created an account on 2+2 in Dec 2015 but my first post was April 2016.. it was in the Unibet thread Laugh It was, of course, me talking about software improvements I thought would be good on the site. I've been a pain in the ass about that stuff ever since Geek

On the felt, things were going well. I asked the virtual cashier for my £50 back because I had won my first MTT and topped the Butler League in the same week. That was a good week! Since then my bankroll has bobbled anywhere from €400+ to €20. Winning the first community freeroll was a great feeling and my biggest single win on Unibet at that point. I made two additional deposits totalling £150 during the Rio Showdown series as I was playing well out of BRM with the €10 MTTs but they really were the only way to get a decent position on the LB. I finished 110th Waterfall

Fast forward to today and I have won/came second (I can't actually rememberLaugh) in a €25 I satellited into for €4 in the last week so the additional deposits have now been withdrawn and I'm back to playing on profit only Cool.

Goals

• Don't hit €0 and have to deposit again/Win all the mulah.
  • Make a UO or UOUK event starting at the lowest satellite buy-in level only (I'll accept doing it from a ticket starting at a higher level as well)
  • Cash the Sunday Entitled/Daily €4. (For some reason I just can't do it just now Smirk)
  • Blog regularly and post hands for discussion and analysis that will be helpful to the community.
  • Don't be mean to pecalbear

Going Forward

If you've made it this far then congratulations, you win a virtual high five from me!Cool The plan is to start the blog for real on Thursday 1st September. I'll post current bankroll, challenge points and nearly all my aliases so we can be nice and transparent about things. Bankroll updates will be per session and I'll do challenges and fancy graphs every month or something. I'll try and post at least one hand for discussion every session post as well as I want to be able to learn from this as much as (hopefully) everyone else will.

If you've got any questions or ideas let me know. If not, I'll see you on Thursday Very Happy

Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it Smile
363 REPLIES
radge1 Rank 18
Rank 18

I can relate to a lot of what you're saying @MoreTBC...will keep an eye out for the blogThumbs Up

Unibet Employee ReCorpH
Unibet Employee

Sounds cool mate! I'll be following the blog. 

If there weren’t luck involved, I would win every time. — Phil Hellmuth
JillianP Rank 14
Rank 14

Subscribed, ready and waiting! Laugh

Just call me Mrs Kings :-)
YpresX Rank 15
Rank 15
MoreTBC Rank 22
Rank 22

Sneak peek at how reporting is going to look HERE.

Any input on stuff you'd like to see added is greatly appreciated or if you want to point out any obvious errors that'll be nice too.

The losing day was just for testing, promise Wink

vongrundal Rank 10
Rank 10

Goood job! I'm really excited about following you on this! Never reported myself but I think you might have inspired me. This is really what the community is about - learning and developing together. 

BonusPater Rank 24
Rank 24

MoreTBC wrote:

Sneak peek at how reporting is going to look HERE.

Any input on stuff you'd like to see added is greatly appreciated or if you want to point out any obvious errors that'll be nice too.

The losing day was just for testing, promise Wink

What a great thread, @MoreTBC. Even though you were just "testing" yesterday, I'd like to offer you € 20 in tickets, to get you off to a good start. Just let me know which tickets you'd like and I'll get them added later today Smile

Former community manager. Used to be known as "Stubbe-Unibet" | Bundesliga blog | How NOT to play poker blog
YpresX Rank 15
Rank 15

So you will grind mostly MTT or start playing cash ?

Get rekt
0 Likes
MoreTBC Rank 22
Rank 22

@BonusPater - Thanks very much, that's very generous. I suppose the only way I can use them is try and complete some of my vague goals so could I get the following please:-

3x €2 UO tickets

4x €1 UO UK tickets

2x €4 MTT tickets (For the Daily €4 I can never cash)

1x €2 MTT ticket (For the start of the new community league tomorrow)

@YpresX - Mostly MTTs I expect. I like to have 4 tables open so what I tend to do is play a little cash at the end to fill the gaps when I run out of MTTs to play. I also have a PLO major challenge I just can't complete that's bugging me so I've been trying to clear that. I'll probably bounce around depending on what promos are on.

In another mini spoiler, I'm on exactly 20000 challenge points so that'll be a nice round number to start on for the blog. Also gave me a €5 Banzai ticket so there will be some action from that on day one Smile Glad to see everyones excited about all this nonsense, makes it feel worthwhile. Hearts