Blog: How to be really good at being average..

MoreTBC

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

** END OF MONTH REVIEW - February 2019 **

• +/- for the month: -€15.29 (BR Total: €106.64)
  • Days played: 6
  • Losing days: 4
  • Winning/Break Even days: 2
  • Sessions/Games played - Cash: 0, SNGs: 7, MTTs: 8
  • ROIs - Cash: N/A%, SNGs: -68.97% , MTTs: -48.15%

So I basically ignored everything I said I was going to do in my post at the end of January. I didn't bother with any of the promos on Unibet and in all honesty barely opened the client all month. I continued to play more tables than I should on Sunday's and got battered. I played a sum total of 2 Irish Open sats, none on MPN (because they never bloody run) and generally just continued to play and run badly. The only two screenshots I saved in Feb were $109 and $215 sat wins on Stars for the Turbo Series that I ended up making no money in anyway.

Strangely I've been finding myself spending more and more time playing cash. I don't really like cash that much but I'm finding myself playing $0.01/$0.02 NLHE/PLO zoom on Stars or games on Run It Once more and more. In a world where you can be called on to be responsible for a tiny human at any point, MTTs really don't gel well with that kind of time management. With that in mind I'd been trying out different quicker formats to see if any stuck with me as interesting. I tried 45 man SnGs and although these work quite well it feels quite robotic playing them. With the lowest limit cash games I feel much more free to just splash around and have fun. I'm a terrible cash player but it's entertaining to abuse player tendencies and 4-bet all the time because everyone just assumes you have aces. I've also really started to get into PLO because I find it a lot of fun to play.

Hope is not lost for good ol' Texas holdem though. I still have a plan to get to Malta at some point this year via any operator that will have me through sats so I, along with most of the poker world, purchased Dara's book and plan to read that this month. I also took part in the easiest promo of my life on Run It Once to get a free month on the training site so I've started watching some videos as well. I'm struggling with the videos so far, mostly because I'm not very clever, and also because I just can't seem to absorb the information in the way I want to. It's probably just a matter of finding the right set of videos that work with my brain but I've not quite found them yet.

I'm not sure how much I'll play on Unibet this month as I'm having a very hard time looking at the table and wanting to play good, solid poker. It's all in my head but everytime I load a game brain tells me that no matter what I do someone is going to get there with garbage and stack me and then I just play high variance and lose. Probably need to use Primed Mind or Headspace before I start and get all zen or something :)

If anything exciting happens before the end of the month I'll post an update but if not, I'll see you in April :)

• Like 5
Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it :)

• 4 weeks later...

@MoreTBC wrote:

I did an April post but the forum didn't save it and I'm too lazt to type it out again :)

I lost money and BR is about €35.

See you in May :)

Short and to the point, no whining or whinging, ranting or raving. Maybe we could have a standard form set up for the majority of us to post each month.

Name.          GR1ZZL3R             

Month.          March                    

Losses.         €50                        

BR.                 €300                     

It could save so much time and effort. 🤣

• Like 6

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone loved the quick update so here is another :)

April

Lost €12, down to €21 in the BR. Have lots of bonus points so using tickets for most buy-ins.

Played 11 UOS events, cashed one. 

Won money on the Grand National and and two other horses based on tips from randoms in Discord/Twitch.

Finished 4th in a Hot $7.50 on Stars for $160 (It was an early one on a Saturday morning)

May

Played two UOS events, cashed one :Thumbsup:

Played the €5 EPT online on Stars last night, made Day 2 :Thumbsup:

Stars did ticket drops during said tourney, my table got selected twice! 1x €22 EPT Madrid sat ticket and 1x €162 EPT Madrid Final ticket in the bag for doing nothing :Thumbsup:

See you at the start of June :)

• Like 9

@Nestabear wrote:

... so sad that South Africa doesn't host PS any more 

Are you from/in South Africa @Nestabear ?

Just found out about Melika Razavi...I am :inlove:

Think she lives in Johannesburg...if you get into a contact with her,You and her have UO Malta package from me!

Unibet poker team,go get her!!!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah @XY I am from SA... unfortunatly... LOL

Ooooh man... Melika Razavi... what can I say but that she is my Hero. Wish I could meet her 1 day

melica.jpg.d42663fb9d652e64d751038786c959c2.jpg

I did send her a friend request on FB... we'll see if she responds 🤣

How many UO packages do you have Mate that you giving them away ? 

• Like 1
Always remember... You can be... do... or have anything your heart desires !

• 1 month later...

May

Not much to report. Played 5 days according to my results sheet and made €1.20. I've been doing a terrible job of tracking stuff as I've been using tickets a lot so I may have played a little more.

No notable results off-brand either, got whacked during SCOOP and the KO series :( I've not been playing well at all but I've also not been getting run outs either.

Capture.PNG.f2e0978ac4479191b1976dd4cdf0e976.PNG

june

1922608098_UATFreeroll_02-06-19.thumb.PNG.67227b1fd6c9bb26e0c69ef9b3dbeee5.PNG

Bink!

Lite package is Travel money + accommodation for 4 nights + money for smaller buy-in events at UO. Very excited to take the GF and MiniTBC away on our first family holiday in September.

BR is at €26.78 so up a little after a 2nd in a SNG and mucking about with the June Community promotion and making bets I didn't need to.

Plan is to see if I can sat into the DSO for Malta and complete the missions this month. Also going to try and watch more than 30 seconds of a RIO training video.

Another short post but at least you know you've got a 10,000 word trip report to look forward to in September :)

• Like 12

@MoreTBC wrote:

72116767_UATFreeroll_02-06-19.thumb.PNG.dceedcb1a2a8b6dab38b8c0c5f9026a0.PNG

Another short post but at least you know you've got a 10,000 word trip report to look forward to in September :) 

Not going to be much to report then? :Cheeky:

Well done, inspirational, enjoy the family break. :Thumbsup:

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

• 4 weeks later...

** JUNE UPDATE **

Up €7 on Unibet so now have a sweet €34 in the BR. Also have €25 in tickets, not really sure how or why but they are there.

Banged out 2 trophies as well..

NanoOdyssey_17-06-19.thumb.PNG.aa18d992bc335cdb7c4b839583e42831.PNGNovaNano_09-06-19.thumb.PNG.5a36133bfe970b897b38db46f0d720f1.PNG

Another month of just doing missions and playing at random ahead.. Is it September yet? I want to go to Malta.

Off brand, first MTT played after the the forced alias change on Party..

55centPKO_18-06-19.thumb.PNG.6a12119ea840d017a878113ec56e0c5e.PNG

Also ran up a $3.30 PPL ticket throughthe $33 semi and into the $330 final but bricked :(

See you in a month :)

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

** July Update **

Down €8 over the month on Unibet. Barely played outside the missions and recorded a whopping 10 MTTs for the month. The evening schedule is really not very good if you want to play €1 MTTs. The Rags to Riches promo is also one of the worst Unibet do so there has been absolutely no desire to play. As much as I want to get the bankroll back on track I really struggle to fire up a session of nanos. Hopefully I'll see Leo in Malta and have a talk with him about the schedule to try and beef it out a bit so casual players have more options in the evenings.

Off site I've been doing a little bankroll building.

5eMegaDeep_27-07-19.thumb.PNG.7b7f89c42ca1bb07aee65c5062ac2a53.PNG

Won a €5 ticket on a twitch raffle and turned it into this gold trophy crown on a Saturday night. I'd never deposited on the site before so had to make a small deposit to get my bank card checked and then withdrew some of the winnings to move to Stars to play the MicroMillions main event on Sunday. I did not win that (although I did mincash) but I ended up with this score instead..

1.10BB_28-07-19.thumb.PNG.14affffbeecf48721ea3597c948194ae.PNG

4am! There was no need for it to run that long. I ended up moving from my laptop to a tablet just before midnight and actually fell asleep while still in the tournament. After a 45 minute powernap I got up and got dealt queens third hand and got a full double to give me a decent stack and then I went on a heater after that.I had no idea how big my bounty was until I logged into the client the next morning to get a screengrab. April 2018 was my last win on Stars so it feels good to get through another minefield.

I've already withdrawn most of it, the majority going on accomodation and holiday stuff for the few extra days I'm staying in Malta after the rest on Party since Powerfest is on :)

That's all I have for now, see you in a month :)

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

** August Update ** days :) days.

Capture.PNG.706e8cf8acac0a21ec572b5d693876f3.PNG

I've got about €7 in my Unibet account. I will play one day soon, I promise :) Malta is just around the corner so I'm going to have plenty of stories to tell from that and it might give me the big to start playing again. I've got a decent stack of small MTT tickets waiting to be used so I'll get around to using them at some point this month.

Nothing too exciting off brand either. Just ploddi--ng away in the micros on Party/GG/iPoker with BRs started from winning Twitch stream giveaways.

See most of you in a month, and some of you in 8-9 days :)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-Malta

I PLAYED ON UNIBET!! Yes, I really did, and it went pretty well. Here are the results of the one session I played before Malta...

Capture.thumb.PNG.147f844e01523adbd79ec89e8ff8050a.PNG

The blue rows are ones I played with tickets so actual bankroll investment was very low and resulted in 3 FTs and 5x'ing the bankroll. This was actually the night before our flight to Malta but we had everything packed and ready so I got the OK from the boss to play a little warmup session :)

Malta Trip - Wednesday

The flight to Malta, although direct from Aberdeen, was scheduled for around 6pm so there was a lot of waiting around to be done before we could get going. 12 month old children do not like waiting around. They do not like to sit still. They find everything in an airport that could be remotely dangerous interesting and something they want to touch. I did several laps of the airport in an attempt to entertain MiniTBC while we waited for the check-in queue to be short enough that we were not standing about too long and again when boarding the plane.

This appeared to work quite well as she fell asleep pretty quickly after boarding and got to miss the incredibly tilting process of having to watch the refuelling truck reverse up and fill the plane WHILE WE WERE ON IT!! A very nice Glaswegian lady who was sitting next to us informed me that if they can get everyone on the plane and close the doors the flight is considered "ready for takeoff" and you can't then claim compensation for a delayed flight. Sneaky Ryanair, very sneaky.

After nearly an hours delay, we were off. The flight was boring, I bought an overpriced ham and cheese panini that was rubbish and MiniTBC woke up about 2-3 hours into the flight and started getting nosey. Luckily she wasn't in a crying mood and spent most of her time climbing on me so she could see over the seats to laugh at complete strangers.

By the time we touched down on Maltese soil it was well past midnight. I'd received a hot tip to swerve the white cabs and get on the eCabs app for an Uber style experience. I'm very glad I did. The queue for taxis was massive whereas I wondered outside opened the app and had a taxi in about 5 minutes. The driver did not muck about in getting us to the hotel either.

On arrival at the hotel I spotted my first two familiar faces, DaVitsche and NMPfan. They were far enough into the hotel by the time we got our bags out the cab that I didn't get a chance to say hello, and in all honestly I didn't want to. That's no disrespect to them, I just really wanted to get checked in and go to bed :) I later found out they were returning from what was supposed to be an excellent kebab shop that apparently was not.

Malta Trip - Thursday

MiniTBC did not care about the late arrival the previous night and woke up around 7am as she tends to do. Whilst this meant I was still very tired, it did mean we could make breakfast and miss the rush of poker players who tend to hit the buffet with 5 minutes to go. There was a solid selection of food to choose from and definitely something for everyone. The cooked breakfast items I went for were on the warm to cold side but I didn't really care, I was hungry.

We then went for our first wander around Malta. We needed to get some essentials for MiniTBC so went on a hunt for a grocery store. It was also our first introduction to the heat and the paving system. Even at 9-10am it was hot (at least for me and my pale Scottish body) and the roads are not flat or very accommodating to a push chair so I became a sweaty, deep breathing mess in minutes. When you're not pushing around some dead weight it was lovely though and I wish I could have that weather every day.

Stubbe had kindly invited myself and few other to visit the Unibet offices so we could complain in person so I met up with the rest of the crew in the hotel lobby and made our way there. It was my first time meeting Hotzonicu, Triceraatopp and her boyfriend Causality so we did the standard and slightly awkward Alias/Real name introductions that you find at live events. Jonny came along for the ride too but poor Pirahn was not invited and was left in the hotel to moan there :D

We got a quick tour of the offices and then went into a big meeting room so Stubbe could show us slides about things. We then complained about them not being right or what we wanted. It was a good time :) They had some really good mini pastries filled with chocolate or something that only I ate because I was hungry and like free stuff.

I unfortunately had to leave slightly early as I received a very panicked phone call from my girlfriend to tell me MiniTBC had woken from a nap in hysterics and would not stop crying. I could hear her crying in the background and knew something was up so hoped in a cab and got back to the hotel. This was my first holiday as the responsible adult for another human being so it was a really stressful time.

Luckily it was a fairly simple issue to sort once I got back to the hotel. Turns out a combination of the delayed flight and probably being in her swim nappy a little too long after the morning trip to the pool had given MiniTBC some pretty angry looking nappy rash. Creamed up and a cuddle later and she was almost back to normal and I took a trip to the local Pharmacy to pick up some extra backup cream.

On the way back I also picked up my Unibet goody bag and badge to get me into the free dinners (which for the second time, I never used once). I took the bag upstairs and let the boss check out the contents.

Twitter_20190912_181628.thumb.jpg.4bc5d0b150330a80f32ef8483d108cc6.jpg

She gave the bag a 4 out of 10 for taste.

Inside was a black t-shirt, black sunglasses and a big cloth thing that I don't really understand. I ended up hanging it over the crib provided by the hotel that we ended up not using.

IMG_20190913_083921.thumb.jpg.230cfde40088c82cd9a369d1f17a8fa1.jpg

JPEG_20190912_194455.thumb.jpg.d386c2e9e35f8ab636d2ce3214b71b5c.jpg

After the excitement of all that it was time to play some poker. I'm going to be completely honest, as I type this now I have no recollection of playing this tournament. I don't remember any hands, I don't remember what happened when I busted, I don't remember how long I played for, nothing. Were it not for this picture I would not be sure I even played at all. All I know is that I never moved table, I remember that. Maybe I was still tired from the night before, maybe I just played badly and want to block it out :)

I did not cash.

I don't really remember what I did after it either but my gut tells me I went to go get food. There are lots of places that sell single slices of pizza around the hotel and I like pizza so it worked out really well.

After that I assume I went to bed :)

Part 2 coming soon..

• Like 14

Malta Trip - Friday

Days are starting to blur at this point so I'm pretty sure most of Friday was spent at the pool. The girlfriend obviously wanted to get a tan and there was plenty for MiniTBC to look at and try and touch. I think we had a wander around the area around the hotel too and stopped at an "Irish" (and I use that term very loosely) pub for a drink.

In the evening I met up with a bunch of the guys that work at Run It Once Poker. I've been doing beta testing and moderating for them since the start of the year and with their offices being in Malta it seemed like a perfect idea to meet up for some face to face "Hi, I'm MoreTBC"ing. Probably met about 10 of the team as well as two other players that were also attending the UO. Ended up spending 3-4 hours with them enjoying the local beer, Cisk, and talking about various poker and non-poker topics. They were kind enough to pay for everything and also brought along some merch so I headed back to the hotel with a cap, set of playing cards and some patches. I also bought more pizza :)

Malta Trip - Saturday

It's DSO day. Started out in the normal way, breakfast and then some morning poolside action. The DaVitsche family had similar ideas and I ended up chatting to David for a bit about all things Dad and how holidays are not really holidays when you have small children, they're just normal stressful life in warmer locations.

I was reliable informed that, unsurprisingly, the Deepstack Open started really deep and the first few levels were not that exciting so I skipped them for some more family time and got involved around level 3. At this point you were still sitting down with around 150bb so there was plenty of play to be had.

I had a lively table, including an Irish Betstars employee and a local (who eventually won the event) who were trading cans of Carlsberg all night. Opposite me also sat Dan, one of the Run It Once employees I'd met the night before so there was plenty of chat at the table.

As far as play went nothing majorly interesting happened. I did fold a nut flush draw in a 3 way pot on the turn only to see the flush hit on the river and the player to my direct right win the hand with a ten high flush but other than that no hands of note before the dinner break.

I grabbed more pizza and headed back to the hotel room on break. Sat out on the balcony with the girlfriend reeling off a story about how romantic the setting was and then casually proposed to her. Pretty sure I'll be the only person ever to bash out a proposal in a DSO dinner break :) She obviously said yes because I'm awesome and then I left her to tell everyone she know and I went back to play :)

The blinds caught up with me eventually and I shoved 99 and ran into JJ. Had a sweat on the turn for a straight but could not find any outs and that was that. Off to bed for an early night

Malta Trip - Sunday to Wednesday

We checked out of the hotel on Sunday and moved 10-15 minutes down the island to another hotel for the rest of the trip. I won't bore you with the details, it was a lot of walking, eating and drinking to be honest with a water park and an aquarium thrown in for good measure. Was pretty sad to be leaving on the Wednesday to be honest, really enjoyed my time and I would definitely go back. The, now, fiance went as far as to say she'd move to Malta so I might have to go job hunting in the future :)

End of September

There is nothing like your first Sunday session after bricking a live event in a foreign country to get the screenshots of cashes going.

UCOP5eRebuy_22-09-19.thumb.PNG.0394d474ee0e53963b9da81d27b0c796.PNG2dollardeepstack_22-09-19.thumb.PNG.64fcf9ec54b5130ff1b8da3ec072aa21.PNG

Fun little story about the first cash, it was from a ticket I didn't even know I had. I'm not even really sure why I logged into my Grosvenor account but I found a €11 ticket and used it in the rebuy to make a decent profit.

The following Tuesday I stepped the luckboxing up a notch..

UCOP59-33ra_25-09-19_.thumb.PNG.59fc053bef3844b438a6282e2ff71413.PNG

Used some of my winnings from the Sunday to enter a €5 flip sat to win a €33 ticket. I then used that ticket to late reg the UCOP €33 R/A with no intention of getting an addon and went on to collect the trophy at about 2:30am. Almost doubles my biggest win ever and get's me another major series title. Nice to get a UCOP title before MPN closes down next year.

Don't have any major plans for October as I have no work holidays left, so live MTTs are not and option, and most of the online series are wrapping up. I'll play some UOS nanos if it runs this month as I'm determined to get the BR back on track the hard way rather than just dumping some winnings into the account.  Other than that, I'll just play when I can and see if I can milk this heater for all it's worth :)

See you in November.

• Like 17

Happy to hear you enjoyed it and congratz on the engagement! :)
Looking forward to see you in Paris for UO - if you somehow manage to get more days off work, or even get a new job in Malta - it should be a great place for weddings, and I'm sure you can fit it in the dinner break, if you play the ME ;)

• Like 4

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions