Blog: How to be really good at being average..

MoreTBC

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

March 2018 - 13th to 29th

As expected, play has been sporadic after the UOS.  I've played 10 out of the 17 days and most of them have been short sessions with only a handful of games. I only had two winning sessions out of all that and neither were from playing good poker. The 13th was because the leaderboard prizes came in and the 17th was because I won a decent bet on the last day of the 6 Nations rugby.

I've found myself back in that rut of not wanting to play the schedule again. I have no tickets at the moment and with MiniTBC on the way I don't really want to get started on the UO or UK ticket grind as all the events are going to clash with something happening in real life. The regular schedule just doesn't have anything that's appealing to me for some reason. I don't have the patience to sit through the Black Hole or Gorsky and just find myself late regging the Event Horizon and Titan because they're there, not because I actively want to play them.

I've been exploring some other networks to see whats on offer and there seems to be two distinct levels to a micro/low MTT schedule, 'too much' or 'not enough'. Unibet manages to fit in the middle of this somehow, which would sound ideal for most people, but for some reason it's not for me.

At the 'too much' end is PS (and to a lesser extent 888 and Unibet). On these networks you could deposit $100 and spend it in less than a day playing nothing more than $2 MTTs. The choice on PS is incredible but it can be overwhelming. On the plus side you can sit down at any time, on any day, and know that you can fire up 4 tables straight away and get going. The flip side of this is that so can everyone else, so the fields are big and you have many more opportunities to lose money.

At the other end of the spectrum is the 'not enough' networks. Strangely PP now fits into this bracket after their recent schedule changes. They only run regular MTTs on the hour now and rotate buy-ins per hour ($1.10 and $2.20) so if you deposit $100 and follow BRM you'll have 1 MTT to play every 2 hours (2 if you play PLO that run on the half hour). I tried the GG Network this month and it's even worse in this respect as they only run 2-4 MTTs on the hour over all the buy-ins. Strangely though, I kinda like this. :laugh:

If I use PP as the example I know that when I get home from work there are probably 2-4 MTTs I'm going to play on the site. Late reg the 5pm-6pm MTTs and when they're done that's it for the night. All the games on Party run for 6+ hours so playing the 7pm ones is pointless if you want a decent nights sleep. This means the earlier ones are my only shot that night. That makes me want to play them and also means I have an end point to my session. With sites like PS (and to an extent, Unibet) there is always another MTT you could play. A Turbo here, a hyper there. Having less options almost makes it more attractive. I find the same thing with the Nova and some of the Sunday majors, because they're not there all the time they seem more appealing.

I'm not sure how I'll deal with it going forward at this point. Maybe I'll make up some sort of schedule of play and follow that but I expect i'd deviate from it after one session 🤣. Ultimately I want to end up with Unibet and one other network for my nightly sessions. I think being able to collect hand histories and review has really helped my game but because I can't do that on Unibet I need to play somewhere else as well to get this kind of information. I'm torn between an iPoker skin and PP just now but leaning towards iPoker because the games are much softer.

The April promos don't really do anything for me so I'm not sure how much I'll play over the next month but we shall see. I'm still planning to head to Glasgow for the UK tour event in at the end of June so I'll maybe try and get a second bullet/package to cover the high hotel costs. There is a music festival on that weekend so room rates are double the norm :(. Other than that it'll be Nova sats and random nightlies for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4
Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it :)

** END OF MONTH REVIEW ( March 2018 )**

• +/- for the month: -€58.33 (BR Total: €1373.51)
  • Days played: 21
  • Losing days: 17
  • Winning/Break Even days: 4
  • Sessions/Games played - Cash: 12, SNGs: 7, MTTs: 154
  • rois - cash: 19.18% , SNGs: 33.38% , MTTs: -32.20%

Pretty miserable month as far as Unibet goes. The silver medal in the Cosmic Rays early in the month really saved me from a pretty painful month of losses. I went through my general feelings going into April in the last post but the late addition of the community Malta promo may mean I fire up the client a bit more often. I also picked up a Cosmic Rays ticket from Ians stream and an Ice Giant ticket from a Unibet twitter comp so I'll be playing at least one Sunday session this month :)

Talking of Sunday sessions..

300299748_DZuXScGXUAUdz0b.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.1fc936a12f2ffd62646b8f197218f452.jpg

Bit of a weird one this. I had actually planned to play one tournament on Sunday and that was a $109 PKO, starting at 2pm, that I had won a ticket for earlier in the week. I was DJing at 8pm so couldn't really play any kind of major session and the plan was to just win a few bounties and consider it a profitable day. It's hard playing just one table though so I fired up whatever else was already running under the impression I'd probably bust or they'd be over by the time I had work. It didn't work out that way. I ended up installing the mobile client on my phone at about 7:40, which was roughly around when this $11, that started at 1PM, hit the final table. I lost a big hand AK vs A6 just as I left the flat and though 8th place was for me.

By the time I got to the bar I had less than a big blind and was forced all in when the blinds came round. I won that one, and the next one and suddenly had 10bb and a dream. I'd look down in between mixes and someone would disappear off the table or I'd fold a good hand because my phone locked but basic push/fold was working well enough to keep me in the game. I went to the toilet in the break at 9pm and I think at that point we were down to 4 and I had $500+ locked up. Another 10 minutes went by and a big hand played out that I completely missed and I'm staring at a heads-up match on my phone. It lasted about 5 hands as the other guy had all the chips but I didn't really care considering I expected to win $100 and not $1K+ an hour before :)

If you play regularly on mobile you are an incredible human and I commend you for your patience. It's the worst experience ever IMO. It might be ok on a tablet but I was actually glad to only have to choose between fold and all-in because trying to do anything else would have probably caused me to throw my phone out the DJ booth. It's not an experience I want to do again, especially not when it's headsup for $500 of extra profit.

That being said, first 4 figure score since 2015 I think 👍

The nappy fund has been well and truly bolstered as we head into April.

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

April 2018 - The month so far.

Best to get the fun stuff out the way first huh?

18-04-08_PS-7.50PKO(deep)Uniedit.thumb.png.0ce07663ab47bff7ad28a2fc1bfe8dff.png2094020665_19-04-18_PS-2.20BRuniedit.png.84571f1fc2dc272db03f08ef30c31fb9.png

Deposited $100 (from the Party winnings) into PS to try and sat into the $10M GTD Sunday Million that happened on the 22nd. Got really lucky and managed to bink a ticket on my second try so it only cost $17 total. Decided to YOLO on the BRM with the rest of it and just play whatever was on the schedule and ended up with these two results and an accident PS BR. They're not particularly exciting in terms of $$$ but I've not FT'd something on Stars in a long time, let alone taking home the gold trophy.

On Unibet the results have been few and far between. This is mostly down to it being my lowest volume month on the site since I began this blog and probably ever. There is nothing I want to play on the nightly schedule any more and now the Cosmic Rays has been dropped for a punty 6-max turbo rebuy the only thing I want to play on a Sunday is the Nova. MiniTBCs arrival means I don't want to play any live sats so I basically log in now to complete missions and keep a cash ticket from expiring.

He's a quick run down of the results so far in the month:-

• 04/04 - 2nd in €10 Malta Rumble for €72.80
  • 07/04 - 2nd in €10 Shooting Star for €33.13
  • 08/04 - 4th in €10 Singualarity for €18.98
  • 11/04 - 1st in €10 PLO Shooting Star for €127.84
  • 12/04 - 4th in €10 PLO Shooting Star for €38.76
  • 15/04 - 23rd in €10 Cosmic Rays for €40 (Fired 3 bullets and the addon) & €17.20 in bounties in the Ice Giant

Picked up one €25 UK tour ticket (which has since been dusted off) and been in the Supernova every week but no deep runs.

I've played 50 MTTs this month which is about 1/3 of my normal volume and unfortunately I don't see that increasing any time soon. The new Team promo, which basically just looks like more missions, will probably keep me logged in next month but I'm struggling to find MTTs I want to play nightly. Now that my total bankroll is spread over 4 sites there is always a better option somewhere else to play.

I'm not really sure how to explain it but it feels like there is no momentum any more with the poker client. When the client gets updated the bug fixes are normally just fixing bugs created in the last update, there is never anything new besides avatars and there doesn't seem to be anything to look forward to. Tournaments change and get added/removed on what feels like a whim without any consultation with the players.

I fully understand that the poker team is small, Relax's team is small and everyone is under varying degrees of restrictions and restraints from a number of factors that all compound into slowing the progression down so I'm more lenient to the timescales for change. I'm not sure how long that leniency will last for players that are not aware of these factors though. As long as I play poker I expect I'll keep telling people to play on Unibet. I think they're doing things in the right way to keep the game going for as long as possible but I think sometimes the fundamentals/basics get pushed to the side in order for things we don't really need to be added.

The Community

It's a :Heart::Hearts::Heart: show right now isn't it? I think someone needs to say it and I'm quite happy to be the :Heart::Hearts::Heart: that does. For everything that is great about it, like the Malta Rumble and other promotions or good quality discussions about changes, there are now twice as many pointless posts and spam from people trying to level up and whatever else they might be doing. I know it's going to come with the turf as the community expands but it's becoming so difficult to wade through the garbage to get to the good posts these days. I think Jeppe and Ray are doing a great job but it appears the Community is getting too big for two people to look after. It started with 3 staff members looking after it in the beginning and it was much smaller than it is now with 2 staff.

Much like the poker client I'd expect this is down to available resources and constraints like the forum software so the guys just have to work with what they've got which is a massive shame as this is a great resource for Unibet.

Anyway, that's enough moaning for one post :) I'll be back next month with the end of month review and probably more complaints :)

• Like 7

@MoreTBC wrote:

The Community

It's a ❤️♥️❤️ show right now isn't it? I think someone needs to say it and I'm quite happy to be the ❤️♥️❤️ that does. For everything that is great about it, like the Malta Rumble and other promotions or good quality discussions about changes, there are now twice as many pointless posts and spam from people trying to level up and whatever else they might be doing. I know it's going to come with the turf as the community expands but it's becoming so difficult to wade through the garbage to get to the good posts these days. I think Jeppe and Ray are doing a great job but it appears the Community is getting too big for two people to look after. It started with 3 staff members looking after it in the beginning and it was much smaller than it is now with 2 staff.

Much like the poker client I'd expect this is down to available resources and constraints like the forum software so the guys just have to work with what they've got which is a massive shame as this is a great resource for Unibet.

Anyway, that's enough moaning for one post :) I'll be back next month with the end of month review and probably more complaints :)

I do agree that the days with "open" freerolls (password protected ones) are a ❤️♥️❤️ nightmare, and 1-2 hours before the freeroll starts till the end of registration, it's just ...... However, I do think that some of the new members are actually contributing with decent content, so it's not all that horrible, even though there's certainly too much noise - it's probably too much for the guys now, but imho the posts should just be removed, and members only posting "pass please"/"ticket please" - when they can't get the ticket/pass because of T&C - should get a warning before a temporary ban (it's essentially spam).

Well, I think it's worth considering if these password protected freerolls should even be a thing anymore, considering the maturity of the site (here I'm not talking about mature content :D) and number of members. Might be worth considering if the free stuff (apart from rewards for contributions, like the weekly surprise) should be a thing of the past, and promos should be more like the community rumble (without freerolls), community league and slot tournaments for real money. Free stuff does equal more activity and better numbers, but the quality really suffers from it.

• Like 5

Might be worth considering if the free stuff (apart from rewards for contributions, like the weekly surprise) should be a thing of the past, and promos should be more like the community rumble (without freerolls), community league and slot tournaments for real money. Free stuff does equal more activity and better numbers, but the quality really suffers from it.

Agree with that. Those freerolls for example could be for like 1€. No one would go bankrupt over that and ofc pircepool would be bit higher for that. I think just for that buy in alone we would get rid of those spammers. Really don´t make sense to me to try to get people who don´t ever deposit/play and are here for just freerolls which i think majority of those spammers are. When you created this community, part of the agenda must have been also to get more transaction too aside from platform to get help.

• Like 2

@testuser1 wrote:

@MoreTBC wrote:

The Community

It's a ❤️♥️❤️ show right now isn't it? I think someone needs to say it and I'm quite happy to be the ❤️♥️❤️ that does. For everything that is great about it, like the Malta Rumble and other promotions or good quality discussions about changes, there are now twice as many pointless posts and spam from people trying to level up and whatever else they might be doing. I know it's going to come with the turf as the community expands but it's becoming so difficult to wade through the garbage to get to the good posts these days. I think Jeppe and Ray are doing a great job but it appears the Community is getting too big for two people to look after. It started with 3 staff members looking after it in the beginning and it was much smaller than it is now with 2 staff.

I do agree that the days with "open" freerolls (password protected ones) are a ❤️♥️❤️ nightmare, and 1-2 hours before the freeroll starts till the end of registration, it's just ...... However, I do think that some of the new members are actually contributing with decent content, so it's not all that horrible, even though there's certainly too much noise - it's probably too much for the guys now, but imho the posts should just be removed, and members only posting "pass please"/"ticket please" - when they can't get the ticket/pass because of T&C - should get a warning before a temporary ban (it's essentially spam).

Well, I think it's worth considering if these password protected freerolls should even be a thing anymore, considering the maturity of the site (here I'm not talking about mature content :D) and number of members. Might be worth considering if the free stuff (apart from rewards for contributions, like the weekly surprise) should be a thing of the past, and promos should be more like the community rumble (without freerolls), community league and slot tournaments for real money. Free stuff does equal more activity and better numbers, but the quality really suffers from it.

I have always thought that a lot of prizes are too big for the return they give to the sites(not just here but other sites) You see really big prizes and if the comp involves too much effort people dont even join in. I always felt smaller rewards achieve the same purpose.

I agree with Stubbe there is definetly an effort being put in by some of the new members to join in but in general its hard to make a new and intresting post, Slots/Bingo have always been quiet and slot of the week was a way to try and get that going and even that with prizes wasnt that busy but any other topic in that thread just doesnt get much action. Bingo I havent got a clue how you would get content in there just dont what there is talk about it.

Betting has had some a bit of action mainly because of promos done in there but again unless there are daily tipsters I am not sure what else can be discussed.

Poker you could have post after post of people posting hands but if you spend anytime on any poker community it always ends up the same, with people telling other people there idiots for playing the hand that way. All other poker posts seem to revolve around problems with the poker client and some of us dont even bother with them now as an official reply isnt always forth comming.

Myself i do quite a few silly posts and try to keep that maintained in off topic and I think them kind of posts have there place as some people feel more comfortable joining in with a bit of daftness than expressing there opinion in other more serious threads where they are frightened of being shot down by someone else. 

To do any kind of serious regular articles or comps or whatever takes a lot of time and effort, just doing the weekly newsletter took a couple of days and when I asked for help in the superuser group no one was intrested in helping out.

One Idea i did have was to maybe have an ongoing promo for trusted members(super users group), Where maybe Ray posts a list of projects he would like to get going whether that be articles/comps/reviews/etc etc and then members of this group can volunter to take on that task for a small reward. This would only be if there is a community budget and jeppe/Ray thinks it would create more quality content than a promo open to all would.

Also an idea if you have done a nice piece of content ask in the SU group for a reply or a like, sometimes we all miss stuff and good content gets hidden behing idiots talking about ducks and a small reply will reboot the topic. 

• Like 5
You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

@Livertool wrote:

Might be worth considering if the free stuff (apart from rewards for contributions, like the weekly surprise) should be a thing of the past, and promos should be more like the community rumble (without freerolls), community league and slot tournaments for real money. Free stuff does equal more activity and better numbers, but the quality really suffers from it.

Agree with that. Those freerolls for example could be for like 1€. No one would go bankrupt over that and ofc pircepool would be bit higher for that. I think just for that buy in alone we would get rid of those spammers. Really don´t make sense to me to try to get people who don´t ever deposit/play and are here for just freerolls which i think majority of those spammers are. When you created this community, part of the agenda must have been also to get more transaction too aside from platform to get help.

I am not sure it depends on what the purpose of the freeroll is, If its to spread the word that Unibet exists then they are doing the job as the number of entrants show. Its not just community freerolls, twitch/facebook.jackpot.com end up with loads of people that dont originate from the place where the password was given but if it spreads the word is it a good thing from a Unibet pov. 

• Like 1

and also it would be nice if a member of each department posted the promos for there section each month or whenever they are  out. It feels that Unibet have this wonderfull social tool and not many take advantage of it.

• Like 2

I am not sure it depends on what the purpose of the freeroll is, If its to spread the word that Unibet exists then they are doing the job as the number of entrants show. Its not just community freerolls, twitch/facebook.jackpot.com end up with loads of people that dont originate from the place where the password was given but if it spreads the word is it a good thing from a Unibet pov. 

Like you said there are already lots of places to spread the word and get in freerolls and from those lots of new players will probably come to unibet. So i´m just wondering is it worth for community to do it anymore. Rather than trying to get new players, would it be better to try to offer something with good value that new ones will stay here and keep oldies happy? :D

And i´m not saying that freerolls should be banned for good but maybe at least some of them could be turned in to small buy in ones.

• Like 1

I have tried many times to bring themes in where i involved in to bring closer to community members/speaking about it, but it wasn't a big success at all. One of them was the licence question, which regulation exists in which country, how the trends are going in Europe, how many states have merged the player pool in the USA, when could the US players join to the european players, what are Unibet's situation in the regulated and closed european markets (Spain, France, Italy, Portugal), which way is better the UK one or the regulated one, when could we join to those markets etc. I was in the middle of the conversation about this theme in the Davitsche chat with NMPfan when David banned me for 100 minutes. That was my last try chatting on twitch. When there are any good news about those theme I usually bring that in attention in chit chat topic, but less players interested in.

I also tried to report about the bugs, missed freerolls etc to make Unibet's service better. My general observation is that many people are offensive when I report a missed freerolls because they think I should deal with the problem. On the other hand there are less feedback from the mods. When I report a missed promotional description or a wrongly translated betting option and i didn't get any feedback or I should chat 3-4 times, stalking relevant people here when they are online and asking them to take a look to the problem then I feel it's not worth on it and it is better posting  a funny picture or talking about ducks.

I also like betting but when I see the last 5 posts in the tennis topic are from me or only Pulps and I follow the snooker world championship then I think I should also stop posting because no one cares.

• Like 1

@Livertool wrote:

Like you said there are already lots of places to spread the word and get in freerolls and from those lots of new players will probably come to unibet. So i´m just wondering is it worth for community to do it anymore. Rather than trying to get new players, would it be better to try to offer something with good value that new ones will stay here and keep oldies happy? :D

And i´m not saying that freerolls should be banned for good but maybe at least some of them could be turned in to small buy in ones.

Fair points and a small buy in wouldnt put me off these games. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was good to see some constructive debate regarding the community, freerolls and content. When I was referring to 'content' I just meant posts on the site, not structured articles like the old locker room interviews and things like that. Maybe it's just the fact off-topic stuff shows up in 'Latest Discussions' that tilts me :)

** END OF MONTH REVIEW (April 2018)**

• +/- for the month: -€270.60 (BR Total: €1102.90)
  • Days played: 20
  • Losing days: 15
  • Winning/Break Even days: 5
  • Sessions/Games played - Cash: 9, SNGs: 12, MTTs: 60
  • ROIs - Cash: 1.34% , SNGs: 66.37% , MTTs: -2.59%

It's a worrying time when the highest ROI you have in the month is in the cash games :) 60 MTTs is the lowest volume I've put in on the site since I started recording things and possibly ever for me on Unibet. One glimmer of hope since the last post is that I went from a 10:1 chip deficit against Maestro to this..

UKTour_30-04-18.PNG.2cb31de8fad4cf72458e8e500443d551.PNG

Ran super pure and locked up a second bullet in Glasgow. This is by far the most exciting Unibet related thing for me just now and I can't wait to play some live poker.

The second UOS has been announced but I've not had a chance to look at the schedule and at this point I'm not particularly exciting about it. The bankroll isn't in a position to play the highs so It'll just be the lows and nanos this time around. I believe they've listened to feedback and curbed manyof the  R/As which I think is great and the main event sounds better with a bigger starting stack.

I've been busy with SCOOP/Powerfest the last week or two so my plan is to take a week off/play very little after they finish on Sunday and try and get myself back in the Unibet mindset. I've had a few cashes in the aforementioned series, including an 8-game cash in SCOOP that was a lot of fun to play and my deepest run..

Powerfest_12-05-18.thumb.PNG.6730c1b25a556c0cd0b2cd1571c3997e.PNG

Not bad for a $5 entry but so frustratingly close to a title. There is something really satisfying about dancing around a minefield of 2500+ players and getting down to the last table but at the same time it's agonising getting so close and missing out on the big score. I'm pretty sure I was just dealt a game over in my bustout hand but I'm going to run it by a few people and probably put it in another post so everyone can have a look at it.

I've only played 2 days of MTTs so far this month and neither had any decent results. Only cash so far was in the Ace High league opened where I made the final table but won about €5 :)

Hopefully we'll get some volume in later in the month and get things back on track. I'm going to have a good look at the nightly schedule during the week off and work out what I'm going to play on a regular basis going forward. Will also need to get into some UOs sats so we can take a shot at a few of those juicy highs :)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

** END OF MONTH REVIEW - May 2018 **

• +/- for the month: -€537.92 (BR Total: €530.74)
  • Days played: 17
  • Losing days: 14
  • Winning/Break Even days: 3
  • Sessions/Games played - Cash: 31, SNGs: 30, MTTs: 70
  • ROIs - Cash: -20.89% , SNGs: -10.45% , MTTs: -62.42%

Brrrrrruuuuuutttttaaaalllllll month. Apart from a 3 day spell where I won a little playing PLO to complete the Team Collector it's been nothing but losing sessions this month.

The UOS was a little hit or miss in May. Had one FT in a E09 (nano) for a few euros and direct bubbled the E22 High bounty that I won a sat to get into. I've only been firing the Lows and Nanos and trying to sat into the Highs which has been going pretty well but just not been getting the results.

Off site however..

17-05-18_Pfest68-micro.thumb.PNG.5765276dbfe0bafbe0e9a18356ce9a57.PNG1983554129_22-05-18_11ME.thumb.PNG.1d4441fd8fc902b4b290570b513d6334.PNG

I'm now a Powerfest champion :) It was a tiny buy-in but a trophy is a trophy so I'm taking it. Also picked up another decent 4 figure score in an $11 as well to keep the overall poker bankroll trending upwards.

SCOOPParty100.PNG.f075ab2b1f37d07aeafd53bfe8c7370c.PNG

Everyone that played in SCOOP tourneys got spin and go tickets for playing/cashing etc so I ended up with 60+ of them or something silly in my account. Less than 1% of the spin and gos paid out $100 as the first prize and I managed to bink the only one I got.

All in all a good month if you ignore Unibet :D

June

It's been a good start to June so far. Cashed another Nano (E33) on Saturday and made a little money clearing the Team Collector missions. Yesterday was another positive day for the cash mission as well so I think I've cleared it with a positive result. Won an Ice Giant ticket but unfortunately finished 2 off the month. I did collect 5 bounties to make it a profitable MTT so that was good. I had a spare Nova ticket and satted into the Low so I played all the 'main' events from week one of the UOS. I made it into the top 50% of the Nano but busted and I've survived to day two in the Low and High. Never made a Unibet day 2 so it should be pretty exciting tonight. I'm 41/43 7 from the money (€270 mincash) in the high and 23/50 2 from the money (€70 mincash) in the low so we'll need a spin up in the high to make the money but the low should be a lock.

I also went pretty deep in the E42 Nano rebuy..

UOSE42_03-06-18.PNG.22e3d84bf9f20f6efeca2a4d4a20be0c.PNG

We did it boys, got the trophy avatar! It took until half 1 in the morning to  get but finally I can add 'UOS event champion' to the virtual mantelpiece. Not a bad payday from 25 cents either.

Mixed bag in the leaderboard standings so far but I'm more concerned about boosting the bankroll just now, any extra money I can get from the leaderboard is just a bonus. Here's the positions as of the 4th (without the Day 2's added)

96th in the High leaderboard

11th in the Nano leaderboard

74th in the Overall leaderboard

I'm outside the top 200 in the low so I won't be winning that one :)

Hopefully this is the start of a good run and we can start winning some decent cash this month :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

** UOS wrap-up **

It's not been the best UOS series for me to be honest. I'm delighted to have finally taken one down and get the avatar but in general it felt disjointed and I didn't feel particularly focused. I think I cashed for €10 on the Nano leaderboard and finished just outside the top 100 in the overall but I also missed quite a few days which doesn't help.

After the win on Sunday I didn't play any events on the Monday, just the late events on Tuesday (with no cashes) and both low and nano on Wednesday, again with no cashed. On Thursday I played low and nanos again and ended up stone bubbling the early nano and the late low which was really frustrating. No UOS play on Friday or Saturday and then it was time for main event day.

The day was going pretty well to be honest, I managed to get two tickets to both the high and low main events and made the add-on period in all three levels of the main. Unfortunately my wifi card had been playing up all day and reset a hand or two before the add-on started. I decided to restart my laptop and when I got everything loaded back up there was about 30 seconds left in the add-on period and no add-on button. Cue instant mega tilt 😠. I had stacks in the low and high that would have really benefited from a 24bb boost so not being able to use the add-on sent me on a spiral of making bad plays and just open shoving to try and get a big stack. To compound the pain I played the €25 rebuy UOS with a ticket that started late and when that hit the add-on I took a rebuy instead of the add-on by accident, and with cash, and then tilt-clicked the add-on so that was an expensive MTT that I didn't cash either. Possibly the worst way to end a pretty miserable series. I'll chuck in a AA < QQ AIPF bad beat in the high ME as well for a monster stack pre add-on that would have made the pain of not getting it not so bad :)

Away from the UOS I have a slightly positive ROI in cash and SNGs for the first time in a while :) Completing the Team Collector missions has meant much more play in these formats than I'm normally used to but they have turned out to be slightly positive, well 3-4% ROI :) I've got all the big teams so a spot in the raffle looks like a lock just now but so does pretty much everyone else so I'm not holding my breath for a big win when that rolls around.

Going forward I don't really have any plans other than rebuilding the roll. I have a €100 and €25 ticket left over from the USO add-on cockup so I'll use them this Sunday on the Nova and whatever the €25 event is and then it's back to good ol' €1-2 MTTs. I've got Glasgow at the end of the month which I'm really excited about and hopefully I only fire one bullet and can just convert the other one to cash so I have a roll suitable for €5 games again.

Another thing I plan to do going forward is play less in general. I've found myself getting into a routine of finishing work, getting home and just playing almost every night and it's starting to create a very unbalanced life for me. I've been having a look at it over the last week or two and felt like it was time to make the changes now because in a few months they're going to be forced on me anyway with the birth of MiniTBC so I'd rather get into a routine that works now so the transition is easier. The plan is to play less but play more focused going forward. Two days (a weekday and Sunday) where I'm sitting at a desk with as little distraction as possible and some combination of Friday afternoon and/or Saturday morning. I'm sitting at my desk on a Friday anyway doing DJ stuff so I can play a little then and the plan for Saturday is to only register tourneys up until 1-2pm so that the evening will always be free. I think this will create a better balance of being more of a real life human and less of a screen staring robot.

There is some room for things to move about based on random things happening, like the 10k freerolls, but in general I'm hoping to stick to a pretty regular routine. I'm moving to a new flat in July as well so that's going to create some more down time as that get's sorted so I don't expect anything majorly exciting to be happening in the blog over the next few months. I'll definitely do a big post about all the action in Glasgow as it's great to write about something different for a change and I'm actually excited to sit down at a real table with real cards. I might take a trip to the local casino here and play a warm up game the week before but I'm undecided on that just now.

Until then best of variance on the tables and good luck with all the World Cup bets :)

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Unibet UK tour - Glasgow Day 1a

There doesn't appear to be a blog running for the Glasgow stop so I'm going to provide a TMZ style version with news, views and gossip fresh from the Alea in Glasgow. 

Players have just entered the 300/600 level and I've just finished level 1 of my pint. Already deep in the action are Unibet Ambassadors Espen, Estonian Jesus, Bergie, Sco and Djarii. Bergie had unleashed the first bad beat story of the night after losing a 6-bet pot with Aces vs Djariis Jack. Ouch!

On the community side NMPFan, Pirahn, Psycho79, Remk are in the mix along with a few more I didn't get to meet yet as I got in the casino on the break. Everyone appears to still have chips after 3 hours of play. 

As soon as the first community player busts I'll be sure to get the first interview.

Also, I'm posting from my phone so excure the crude formatting. 

• Like 6

UK Tour Glasgow 2018 - Day 1a/b (The proper version)

Woke up nice and early on Friday and set about spending as much money as possible before heading to Glasgow. Paying a deposit and first months rent, road tax and council tax really puts you in the mood to win at poker :) Not being one for good planning organisation I packed my bag about twenty minutes before I got in the car and set off on the 2 1/2 hour drive to Glasgow. Unfortunately my tardiness in leaving meant I hit various spots of traffic on the way down and it ended up adding about 45 minutes onto the journey. Having no intention of playing 1a this wasn't a problem and I just sat in the traffic quite content with the sunny weather that had made a rare appearance in Scotland.

Unfortunately, due to a rather large festival running this weekend in Glasgow, everything was expensive. This meant that that the cheapest place to park my car (since the hotel had no parking) was about 25 minutes from my home for the weekend. Cue a rather sweaty walk with my bag, mostly uphill, to the hotel. It's an experience like that that reminds you that you're incredibly unfit and should really do something about that.. on Monday ;)

Showered and changed I started the walk down the hill to the Casino. This was a much more relaxed and less sweaty experience and I could enjoy the hustle and bustle of Glasgow. It's a bit like being in Aberdeen but you just have to multiple everything by 5. 5 times the people, 5 times the pubs, 5 times the traffic. It's especially nice when the sun is out because the stereotype is true normally, it always rains in Scotland. This is especially true in Glasgow as it rains almost every time I enter the city limits so when the sun does come out, and to the 'heatwave' level, it makes people a lot happier. All the beer gardens are full and people are laughing and joking and having a good time, it's infectious.

I reached the casino just as Day 1a had gone on it's first break. Plenty of familiar faces were huddled together with some new faces so first port of call was to put some real names to some aliases. First group I come across includes NMPFan, Bergie, Maestro and Psycho79, Pianocat and Remk_95. That's enough for a decent community SNG right there! In the distance I could see Pirahn chatting to Willie Elliott and Leo and Simon from Unibet were sitting at a table with their laptops pretending to work. It felt like 2017 and I'd never left the casino from last year. (Un)fortunately nobody had busted yet so they all returned to the poker tables with left me by myself. Not a problem though as I was starving, so I headed to the bar for a pint and burger.

Mid way through a bite of my burger, the itch set in. I could hear the rustling of chips, the excited whoop every now and again of a two-outer river keeping someone in the game. I just wanted to get into the action. I knew Mathrim wasn't going to be getting into the casino until at least 10pm (it was just after 8pm at this time) so I finished my pint and said "f**k it" internally and headed to the registration desk.

I knew from last year that after getting up early and driving down that potentially sitting down for 6 hours or so, with a 3am finish, it was not a good idea to play and I'd probably make mistakes. I even tried to get to the casino after late reg finished so I didn't even have the choice but it turns out it was 9 levels of late reg and not 6 so I could have got in at 9pm and still been able to play.

I had moved both my seats to 1b so I checked with the desk if it was ok to play 1a and they were fine with it. Unfortunately they could only find one of my seats so I made my way over to the Unibet guys to see what was what. A few clicks on a laptop or two confirmed there were two lists and I had one seat on both so Leo accompanied me back to the desk and everything was sorted out and I was on the alternates list. This gave me a chance to have my first live rant at Leo about Unibet 🤣. In reality it wasn't a rant, just a really good conversation about the schedule, potential changes and other stuff you tend to be able to talk about with the staff at these live events. I'd always suggest making sure you find the Unibet guys and let them know who you are when you get in. It gives you a point of contact at any future events and they can always get things sorted for you if you need them. They're always happy to listen to your feedback as well, which is great for me, because I have days of feedback to give ;)

I get the 9 seat on my table and it was a VIP seat. It's the only seat in the whole room with arm rests and that reclined. I think they'd run out of the normal seats and just used an old office chair or dealer seat. It was very comfy but the arm rests meant you had to sit back a bit from table. I also had Pirahn on my table so at least there was a friendly face to chat to.

With late registration comes a different looking starting stack from everyone else. I didn't get any 50 chips so my 50k stack started off as a lot of 5k yellow chips and some blue 1k chips. I know now that these colours represent these values but in the heat of the first few orbit you tend to be a little unfamiliar. My first big hand was AK and I had every intention of raising to 2k with the blinds being 400/800. Live plays a little bit differently than online and people tend to open bigger than the 2.0-2.2x you see online. I throw two chips out and then stare at my remaining chip stack. The 1 seat folds and then the player in seat 2 says, "Did you mean that?". I look up and there are two yellow chips in front of me and they say 5000 on them. "Nope" and a sheepish smile was my reply. Amazingly everyone folds and I pick up the blinds and antes. "I was just setting my stall out boys, honest"

The rest of the evening was fairly straight forward to be honest. At one point a player joined with a pretty big stack and a tendency to just throw 4-6 5k chips out as a preflop raise even though the blinds were less than 1k/2k so I took a stand with him when I was in the big blind with about 30bb with ATo. He called and turned over T9. Flop came 78x but luckily ran out blank and I doubled up. A few hands later I played with the same player again and hero called with A9 on A9TT8. I'd c-bet and he'd called and then we both checked the turn. He bombed the river but had been showing trash all the time so I called and he showed KQo. Bled out a little but and then called an all in from Pirahn with KK, he had AK and the flop was xxK so he was eliminated. Only other interesting hand was another AK hand where there were 4 players to the flop and it went K5K. I checked hoping someone would bet but everyone checked and the turn was a 6. I check again and the button finally makes a bet. I call and the other two players fold. The river was a 7 and I check again and the button bets again. I snap call and he turns over 7's :( I considered where a 3-bet pre would have been better as only the 7's could call and two big bets would have probably got him to fold the 7's but I don't think I can bet the flop or turn because it makes it too obvious I have a K. One of those hands where if it was any other card than a 7 on the river I have another 100k in my stack.

The day wrapped up around 3am and I bagged 187k. Blinds will be 3k/6k coming back for Day 2 so it's 31bb which isn't too bad. I was 14/24 from the remaining players so still plenty of work to do on Sunday. I got an Uber with NMPFan, Pirahn and Espen (who was on my table at the end and also survived with 167k I think) back to the hotel and tried to get some well needed sleep.

Day 1b

I didn't really get much sleep unfortunately. A combination of a new bed and the excitement of finally making a live day 2 meant I slept for about 5 hours on and off and felt pretty shattered. I met Pirahn about 10:30 for breakfast as he's my go-to meal buddy and then Leo made the mistake of sitting with us. Leo didn't get to leave until after 12pm as he got another round 'customer feedback' from two angles 🤣. After that we headed down to the casino through another blisteringly hot Glasgow day. I got myself comfy and prepared for an afternoon of football and railing. The football did not disappoint at all and I was quite content watching it while everyone else dealt with the stresses of poker. Pirahn and Jonny were late regging so they kept me company during the first game and we discussed all things Unibet. By the time I'd had my second pint and the football had finished the lack of sleep from the previous night started to take effect and the tiredness crept in. This was also the time everyone left and I was riding solo for the second game. I stayed long enough to have dinner and see everyone at the last break around 11pm but I couldn't handle the last two hours and wandered back to the hotel and got a proper nights sleep!

In the next exciting installment.. Day 2!

• Like 9

UK Tour Glasgow 2018 - Day 2

Day 2 started in the same way any other day at a live event starts for me, breakfast with Pirahn. We were joined by ChapInAChair (who had spent a cozy night in Pirahn's room after making Day 2 and having nowhere to sleep) and NMPFan. We spent the morning complained about poker related things, as poker players do. We left the hotel about 12:30, minus NMPFan, who claimed he needed to get some snacks from the shop but was probably just in his room winning another satellite or something. It was another blistering day in Glasgow so the sweats were real by the time we completed the 25 minute walk to the casino. Slowly day 1 survivors started trickling in, along with community members ready for the freeroll happening later in the day.

A quick scan of the table draw saw things were not going to be easy. Seat 2, Lise. She's half of the most beautiful couple in poker, along with Espen. Seat 3, Kostenberg. Seat 4, Pirahn. Seat 5, Willie Caulder from Ace High. Seat 8, MetalWolf. Basically like playing an MTT on Unibet but live. Everyone sat down a few minutes before 2pm and found they had received a lovely, shiny, silver card protector with the UK tour logo on it. A nice touch to remind everyone they survived day 1s carnage.

For the next two hours very little happened. I was pretty card dead and and basically bleed out. Our table broke as we neared the money bubble and I only spent about 15 minutes on my second table before busting. I had around 13-14bb and shoved ATo from the HJ/LJ and got called by the seat next to me with Jacks. I couldn't find the miracle ace and that was that. 27th with 21 paid. In hindsight I could have easily found a better spot to shove and maybe hung on for a mincash but there was/is no point dwelling on it. Instead I late regged the community event :)

I didn't take this one too serious and on a table with Maestro, Psycho, Est Jesus, and Radge (who had come in just for the community event) I was never going to last long. I did manage to win a hand with 72s by jamming the river with nothing more than a flush draw.so I got my bit of glory and then busted. At that point I left the casino. I was tired, hungry and slightly unsure if the smell of body odour was coming from me or people around me so I decided not to take the risk and head back to the hotel for a shower, picking up dinner on the way.

I spent the evening playing online and watching the football. I managed to get a Nova ticket from the last sat of the day, beat KhQh and Jh9H in a three way all in on a xhxhxh flop with Ahx thanks to a miracle heart on the to give me 45k after two hands, and then dust it off in an hour as every hand I had where I was ahead pre flopped horribly. I did win one of those half-time flips for €25 without knowing, as I minimised the table and forgot about it when it popped up, but other than that it was a small losing session. I did end up slightly up off site I think so it was all good.

Got up nice and early on the Monday and packed up ready to leave. One final, unplanned, breakfast with Pirahn to hear about his adventures in winning the Glasgow event was had. I never expected him to be up after they played til 3 in the morning but he seemed fresh and cheery. I imagine winning 3.4k and a Bucharest package will do that to you :) I said my goodbyes, catching Espen as he came down too and made my way back to my car and drove home.

So that's it for live poker in 2018. Bar a random trip to the local casino (which after the flat move in a few weeks will be miles away instead of a 5 minute walk) it'll be 2019 before I even look at qualifiers for anything. I really like the live game and I'm going to miss it. There is something about having to peel actual cards and move actual chips that makes it some much more fun and exciting than online. It's hard to explain and if you've never experienced it there are no words I can use to convey how you'll feel when you sit down and get dealt your first two real cards.

If you have any fears about playing live then the UK tour stops are the perfect place to get over them. Once you've introduced yourself to one community member you're in the gang and you'll know everyone and be welcomed in before you have time to remember the first person you meets real name. I can openly admit that I HATE playing against Psycho, but I'd happily buy him a drink now after meeting him. I can argue like husband and wife with Pirahn online about things and then eat every meal of a weekend with him without any animosity. Once the community gets into a room you'll never feel like you have nobody to talk to (unless they are all playing and you're not ;)) and it becomes a much less daunting experience. I give it my seal of approval and encourage you to try it.

** END OF MONTH REVIEW - June 2018 **

• +/- for the month: -€4.26 (BR Total: €536.54)
  • Days played: 13
  • Losing days: 8
  • Winning/Break Even days: 5
  • Sessions/Games played - Cash: 22, SNGs: 14, MTTs: 69
  • ROIs - Cash: 2.17% , SNGs: 5.24% , MTTs: -13.11%

Not much happened after the UOS finished. I shipped a €1 Multivers for €30 and min cashed the Nova with my last ticket but other than that I had no decent poker results. World cup bets kept things level in the bankroll really and left me looking at the smallest losing month I've ever had I think. Volume continues to dwindle and I don't expect that to change any time soon :(

As far as the bankroll goes in July, it's been profitable so far, although none of it has come from playing poker :) As I only fired one bullet in Glasgow I got the other one converted to cash so that was a nice €240 boost. I've also continued to run pretty well in the World cup bets I've been placing the month. Best one so far was betting £5 on Belgium to win 3-2 against Japan when they were 0-2 down at 20/1. Nice little return on that one.

As far as poker goes it's going to be a quiet month. Moving flat is going to take up a decent chunk of the end of the month and I might be without internet for a bit so apart from clearing the monthly missions I don't expect I'll be opening the client. Leo did mention in Glasgow that there may be some schedule changes coming after the summer so hopefully there will be tournaments I want to play in the new version.

Next update will probably be at the end of the month unless I win the Nova this weekend :)

• Like 13

Thanks for the update @MoreTBC, like @GR1ZZL3R said... reading your blog does make one wanna play live events. I've not played too many live events & nothing as big as the OU or tour events. 

You wrote... It's hard to explain and if you've never experienced it there are no words I can use to convey how you'll feel when you sit down and get dealt your first two real cards.

I'm soooo looking forward to this !!!

All the best with the move & the little one Buds. Although your volume will be down, keep us updated yeah. 👍

• Like 1
Always remember... You can be... do... or have anything your heart desires !