Brocky

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@MetalWolf wrote:

Nice one getting the hunger back for it mate. Speaking as someone who is just getting down their 4th beer for the night it’s great to see.

Cheers mate, I wouldn't say I'm 100% there but I've got so much more motivation than I had a month ago.  

Going to attempt another stream in a few minutes if anyone wants to come and say hello.  Warning - I am very hungover.

www.twitch.tv/brockypoker

• Like 2

Just thought I'd write a short post on streaming.  I love streaming, I love interacting with others, I love the focus it gives me, but I am starting to contemplate whether I give too much away?  I talk in depth about almost every non-standard spot that I get involved in and I know that at least one reg from the games I play watches my stream.  After reading Monkeyheaven's SNG thread where he talks about changing aliases and how he used to watch Ian Simpson stream while playing against him to pick up on leaks I've definitely been giving the whole thing a bit more consideration.  I don't think changing aliases is an issue in HU because the reg pool is so small that it's almost obvious within a few hands who is who but after recent battling vs one specific reg, who has been absolutely destroying me, I am starting to believe I need to change how I approach the game.

I know that this reg is running super hot vs me both in card distribution and all ins which will change eventually but at the end of the day I have to balance up the pros of streaming, as a small time streamer that makes nothing from it, against giving away any sort of information.  I may well stream MTTs going forward but I do think I am going to need to limit the heads up that I stream, also for the reason of random regs that haven't discovered Unibet yet seeing how soft the player pool can be.  I know it's selfish of me but I guess the argument is that I don't owe Unibet any marketing.  

• Like 7

I'm not going to say I told you so but I have pointed out here and elsewhere that if you're steaming streaming always under your own name it must be too easy for others to pick up on your tendencies, and as you point out the player pool in your chosen field being so small it's got to be that much easier to tell who you're playing against and remember their plays. Davitsche streams live under his own name but then plays with aliases at other times, in a larger cash pool, but in your case it would still present a difficulty. A shame really because I enjoy not only the banter and laughs but also picking up a few good pointers, and if I can do that there must be many more that can do it more successfully. I hope this isn't the end and you can find a happy medium, best of luck.👍

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

I'm not going to say I told you so but I have pointed out here and elsewhere that if you're steaming streaming always under your own name it must be too easy for others to pick up on your tendencies, and as you point out the player pool in your chosen field being so small it's got to be that much easier to tell who you're playing against and remember their plays. Davitsche streams live under his own name but then plays with aliases at other times, in a larger cash pool, but in your case it would still present a difficulty. A shame really because I enjoy not only the banter and laughs but also picking up a few good pointers, and if I can do that there must be many more that can do it more successfully. I hope this isn't the end and you can find a happy medium, best of luck.👍

Long rambly HU theory post incoming.

It's a tough one.  I definitely put more volume in when I'm streaming which would equal more profit but the games aren't as soft as they once were.  I would imagine that, despite the upswing I'm on financially, if I were running good vs regs I would be sat here with a totally different opinion.  It's hard to explain without having experienced it but there's so much to running bad more than what people perceive (I know I've talked about this before), for example I played a reg at the 50s tonight against whom I could just not make the correct decision.  What I mean by that is he will call a c-bet on an AKx board (where I have lots of Ax/Kx in my range) with Q high and I would give up with 9 high and I'd not get him to fold, which a turn bet would achieve.  Then on the other hand I flop a flush draw, similar board for example and I'll get called down twice or all 3 streets by Kx, yet when I flop 2 pair with the Ax he folds the river.  

Reg battles in HU are so stupid.  There's so much "I know his range is capped so I should barrel here but he knows that but I know that he knows that".  For example, 90%+ of regs will barrel an ace turn on any board (for example J93r).  If they're betting their whole range (excluding 9x and 3x) on this turn, folding a three is surely a bad play?  I've then called twice, he knows I'm capped to generally 9x or 3x, occasionally Jx, so he's going to put the pressure on with most rivers, so we need to call more often than you would vs a recreational on the river, despite having bottom pair.  The problem is the dynamic becomes crazy.  I've posted a couple of vids in this thread a couple of months back, one where I called off 3 barrels with J high or Q high or something in a 100e game, with the best hand.  For those that have watched my stream, you should have noticed how many turn cards I will say "great card to barrel" and get someone to fold when I have nothing.  This aggression in position is where we make our money but what about when they always seemingly have it?  The aforementioned reg from my previous post who is crushing me at the moment has never ever shown a bluff when 3 barrelling.  We've played every day, 2-3 tables at a time.  How can a reg have no bluffing range there?  Any competent player needs to be balanced but if he never needs bluff, what does that say about how hot he runs in card distribution?  

This sort of thing really messes with your head.  In any spot post-flop a player should have value hands and bluffs.  If we're never seeing someone bluff but they're still betting with enough frequency to suggest bluffs must be in his range, we start doubting everything we know.  Another example, he limps the button, I check K6.  Flop A62r, he stabs and I check/call, fairly standard.  Turn A.  Ok, let's dissect what this card does to the hand.  His combos of Ax are now reduced, we also would expect him to open some Ax pre.  We've check called the flop, our most likely holdings are 6x, 2x, occasionally 54/53/43.  Logic here would dictate that it's a bad card for him to continue to bluff on.  If we have K6, we are generally going to still believe our hand is ahead if we were ahead on the flop, we are also unlikely to fold 2x to another barrel, everything is pointing for us to continue vs another bet.  Aforementioned villain bets, a guy who I know is unlikely to go crazy on this board with a random Q9 type hand because he has showdown value + the reasons I've just mentioned.  So do we now fold?  Folding is super exploitative here.  We are nearing the top of our range, if we fold here, we're basically folding everything bar trip aces, which we rarely have, and this would allow him to barrel with any two cards going forward.  We call, which is the right play, and we're forced to either fold the river, to which we've never seen him bluff, or call and be shown Ax.  I can't imagine there's a game outside of poker where random distribution can lead you to question logic you've seen for 10+ years to such an extent.  For me it leads back to the fact that if we're always making losing river calls, we need to fold more but folding lots vs regs will just make you super exploitable to high levels of aggression.

I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make other than to sort of give you an insight into HU reg battles and the other types of variance people probably don't see.  There's no doubt times in your poker life (certainly is mine) where you've been super aggressive over a small sample because you've always had the goods and your opponent has ended up calling you down with some raggy hand because he's fed up of being pushed around.  Well that opponent at the moment is me.  I'm sigh calling it off with 3rd pair, to be shown top 2 pair.  I'm calling an ace turn with 2nd pair, he has the ace.  When he's bluffing the ace turn I'm probably folding, it's the small margins but it's costing me a lot at the moment.  Simply put I don't know how to overcome it, I just have to trust that the variance will even itself out over time.

• Like 4

Ended up with a big grind in the end, 25-200s (only 12 games above 50s though, all vs super soft opponents).  Earned about 21k challenge points today which puts me at 1,041,000, so 209k needed before the end of March.  Gonna be tough and will need to mix in some 100s for sure.  Riding the heat at the mo.

11-03-19.PNG.2c282e933994e3cd9739432d03c7d077.PNG

Bankroll is doing very nicely, the past 2 weeks results:

graph.PNG.43dd44f70c39fa5fd617f3126502953c.PNG

• Like 8

This post is going to be 2 parts, firstly an update and secondly a rant.  I don't really have anywhere else to rant so why not here!?

Update - Decent day, profit is profit, good amount of points now I'm playing the 50s which helps the UO dream.

12-03-19.PNG.2680a0a185aaf9e43bb4670ad34fe9ac.PNG

Ok rant time.

@GR1ZZL3R and other stream viewers will probably be able to picture me ranting this out loud 🤣

Been battling this reg (3/4 tabling) at the 50s called Richard_J.  He has a stupid ❤️♥️❤️ name which already tilts the ❤️♥️❤️ out of me.  I sit there and when I win a hand or catch one of his bluffs I'm like "Yeh, well played Richard J you ❤️♥️❤️ idiot" but in all seriousness this guy runs like the ❤️♥️❤️ sun in card distribution.  I swear to god in like 150-200 games vs him I've barrelled flush draws and got there maybe twice, meanwhile this guy is calling me down with bottom pair and I end up giving up on the river because I know he's going to hero it off.  I jam rivers in spots where it's completely plausable for me to have rivered a nutty hand but he will snap me off with top pair no kicker like he's inside my brain.  I'm also fairly sure on the odd occasion I've made the same play with the nuts he's just check/folded every ❤️♥️❤️ time as well.  Seriously, I flopped 1 set today, ONE, and I had to fold the river because he jams when the board runs 4 to a straight.  Meanwhile he's flopping sets, (quads once) and trips every other ❤️♥️❤️ hand.  I am making outrageous folds because I know he's got there and Richard J if you read this I will crush the ❤️♥️❤️ life out of you when I start hitting flops.  You play the most ❤️♥️❤️ boring passive style pre it actually hurts but if I have to study and grind every day for the next year just to take your bankroll I will.

Disclaimer - Although the above is true, don't take it too seriously :laugh:

Richard J - You should take it seriously.

• Like 6

Massive session today, one game, one win.  Got it in with AT on T87 vs QT, river Q, crippled to 50 chips.  Double up to 100, 200, 400 then 800.  Chip up to 950, villain limps at 12bb (40/80), I check 83o, flop K83r, check check, turn 4, I bet 120 he jams with AA and I hold.  Love to see it.  Time for a day off I think, get some rest for the grind tomorrow.

13-03-19.PNG.6bb82d2afbd66bf70496c4d09960d5c9.PNG

:rofl:

• Like 3

If there is another player on Unibet that is forced to make as many ridiculously stupid folds as me then I look forward to meeting them.  I swear to god I get absolutely coolered like nobody else.  Nobody is ever, ever check/jamming here as a bluff.  I get these types of hands so often it's actually boring me now.

sweet.PNG.637153b77f9e6d93acb2870d585cc527.PNG

• Like 1

So I ended up playing, pretty pointless really as it was a losing session leaving me at +16 euros for the day.  I guess the points are much needed for the UO package.  Sitting on 1,072,000 at the moment.  16 days or so to get the remaining 178k.  

13-03-19.PNG.7f0f90b2a503898ab08673f22ac5c0f7.PNG

• Like 2

I know how many of you love a graph and because traffic is slow at 3am, I've been updating my spreadsheet to include everything for 2019.  I posted a rough graph of year-to-date a few days back but here we go:

January

Crazy month, enough said!

January.PNG.33ad233c8afb854bccb2787075ca521f.PNG

February

Didn't realise until today that February was decent, shocking volume though because of what happened in the 2nd half of Jan.

February.PNG.bd44c20eacfe74aea9fc33648d1326a6.PNG

March

Only half way through March but absolutely killing it.  Got my buzz back, working hard (not as hard as I would like though) and results are good even if I must say that I feel I'm running pretty bad.

March.PNG.86de1a20444668040f160f08ffd1a6fc.PNG

YTD

The bad run at the 100s/200s aside I'm happy with my results from an ROI perspective but obviously volume is well behind where I wanted to be, as is profit.  I'm hoping to correct this going forward.

YTD.PNG.02741af6ef4faad27c4100d8c07da1d9.PNG

• Like 4

What a crazy day.  You're not going to believe me when you see the graph but oh my god I ran terrible in all ins today.  I played recreationals pretty much all session, 1 reg towards the end.  I was crushing these guys but every time the blinds were getting big and average stack is like 10-12bb I am losing every all in when they have 3-6bb left.  I would then chip away at them and lose another all in, repeat, repeat, repeat.  Anyway, really wanted to get to 1k euro profit for the day but lost the last game in really stupid fashion and because I'm so tired I decided to just call it quits before I start 6 tabling for the sake of trying to achieve something that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, 92 games at the 50s, won 55, lost 37, 735 profit.  Add in 20 from the 25s and a 50 bonus puts me at €805.50 for the day.  Can't complain too much but should've been €1.1k-1.2k easily if I'd ran at EV.

158k points until the UO package is mine :popeye:

Contemplating waking up in about 7 hours and driving up to MK for the Unibet £220.  Is anyone else here playing it?  The online grind may prove too tempting though but would be good to meet some of you guys.

14-03-19.PNG.7f845a05a14ac86642dc8e482f9e7974.PNG

March is looking disgusting at £3,562.30 profit, which is over €4k.  Let's :Heart::Hearts::Heart: go.

• Like 6

Smashing it mate! Inspirational even to me in the sense that when you put your mind to it and are motivated it makes all the difference.

Shows the major importance of not playing for the sake of it and always bringing your ‘A’ game.

• Like 1

@MetalWolf wrote:

Smashing it mate! Inspirational even to me in the sense that when you put your mind to it and are motivated it makes all the difference.

Shows the major importance of not playing for the sake of it and always bringing your ‘A’ game.

Thanks bro!  

Just had a mental half an hour.  Didn't play my usual late night session last night, wasn't feeling it and was feeling annoyed at myself for not going to MK!  Took a nap around 2:30am for 3 hours or so, logged on just now for a bit of a grind.  Ended up playing a guy not too dissimilar to the guy I lost all that money at the 200s to.  He's 4x'ing almost every hand, open jamming ridiculously wide, jamming flops for 5x pot with nothing etc.  The difference to the time at the 200s is I ran ridiculously hot this time.  It felt nice and well overdue to be honest, just a shame it was at the 50s.  During the last game I limped 88, he jams K4o at 20bb, I call and when the flop was A53 I gave a wry smile and a small part of me wanted him to get there, because I have been the guy that runs like he did today on many occasions.  I held and he quit.  Played 20 games vs him, 4 tabling at one point, I won 17 of those.  I think one of the ones I lost I called a raise with K6, flop K76, he jams like 800 into 240 with Q5 and the board runs K7634 🤣  Played 1 game vs someone else which I also won, probably the quickest 14 buy ins I've ever made.  

16-03-19.thumb.PNG.29a63573297096960298358adcefe6c6.PNG

• Like 5

Most ridiculous sesh of my life (for the good).  People were donating left, right and centre.  My biggest profit in terms of buy ins in one day is 40bi ($7 HU games on Stars back in the day), I'm currently sat at just under 25 today.  Gotta go to the vets and the gf and I are out for dinner tonight but may put in a big grind in-between to try and beat that.

16-03-19.thumb.PNG.7d6d9c13c48c9c34c89db0e6c139289f.PNG

march:

March.PNG.49fd1fb99c72af1413c399e74128d97e.PNG

• Like 4

@SingleMom102 wrote:

Very good results lately!!!

Keep up the grind and don't get tempted to play higher stakes this time!

Oops!  Sorry to let you down.

Not really sure what to say about today.  I haven't gambled on anything over the past 3 weeks or so and I've felt the itch over the weekend but managed to not have a bet.  Started grinding the 25/50s this morning and it was literally the opposite of yesterday.  Couldn't win a flip, couldn't win a 70/30 etc.  Lost 7 in a row at one point and then a few more in a row when I started my session tonight so ended up tilt playing a few 100/200s.  Managed to get back to even, think I'm going to take tomorrow off to try and get my focus back.  Was pretty pissed off today as I took my gf out for dinner last night and we ended up arguing over poker.  She claims I don't work even if I spend 10 hours a day grinding, she claimed it's purely gambling and refuses to listen to my explanations as to how it is skill based.  Put me in a bad mood, shouldn't have played at all but luckily I got out of the hole.  Your mental state when playing poker is so important so I don't think it'd be good for me to continue playing today/tomorrow.

Catch you guys soon <3

17-03-19.thumb.PNG.307101cd91733746b07cc281f5042022.PNG

140k points for the UO package, should get there if I put a big grind in at the 50s.  Also just about to hit another 50 euro bonus payout which at least pays for some of the dinner she ruined last night 🤣

• Like 5

Bleh, find it too difficult to take days off.

On the plus side, just hit £5k profit for March, which works out at around €5,840.  Feels great after the past couple of months!  

Made up of roughly the following:

€250 cash for 1m points

€250 bonus cash for clearing bonus money at 1m points

~€60 cash game profit

~€700 MTT profit

~€4580 heads up profit

Would be great to get another 2-3k in by the end of March and should get the UO package for hitting 1.25m points which could equate to around a €10k month!  

March.PNG.76a2f4f0a56fe845cbec2f700337132a.PNG

One losing day in 18 so far <3

days.PNG.af73594e10268684623c3710befed9d6.PNG

• Like 9