World Cup Russia 2018

Shoryureppa

Good day to all you sports fans and poker guys alike. 

Whilst we are not quite through the UEFA Champions League quite yet I thought it fitting to start this thread to gather opinions, favorites and even banter among the fans of the upcoming FIFA 2018 WC. 

I hope this thread will be much welcome by the community where we can gather a few laughs, discuss our favorite teams and players and even spark a few friendly rivalries  

Ole!

Shoryureppa. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't studied it seriously yet but my e5 free bet was due to expire so I lobbed it on Belgium. Much more studying to do.🆒

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Which group you all think is the group of death for this WC?

Im a Brazil supporter but that drubbing in 2014 was quite an embarrassment and I think this years team has some leaks as well they may get far but it would take a miracle for them to lift the trophy this time around. 

The group of dead imo is the one with Belgium  because we will be bored to death.

But seriously, I think D will be the hardest. Argentina has some good players (Messi?)  Croatia has proven to defend itself well against strong countries. I think they will have a few draw games. And Nigeria is one of the better African countries. And have you seen what Iceland did 2 years ago? :o

F could have been, but without Zlatan Sweden is nothing. Mexico and Germany are both extremely strong.

My group outcome predictions:

a1: Uruguay 2: Russia

B1: Portugal 2: Spain (Spain isn't as strong as 4 and 8 years ago)

C1: France 2: Really don't know, but I'll guess Australia

D1: Croatia 2: Argentina

E1: Switzerland 2: Brazil (Switzerland has shown to be really strong the last year) 

F1: Germany 2: Mexico 

G1: Belgium 2: England (the 2 other countries are just utter ❤️♥️❤️ :p) 

h1: Poland 2: Colombia 

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

@VikingsAF Oh no, never say never. I've been waiting 52 years for an England repeat but I think Belgium will win it before they do it again.

If it's any consolation, you'll both win it several times before we ( Finland ) even qualify there for the first time :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looking forward to world class football during Panama-Tunisia and Australia-Peru and the female supporters in the stands during Morocco-Iran and Saudi Arabia- Egypt.

Also, will the Russians be able to defend the Hool-Championship after England's lackluster performance in 2016?

Don't think I'll be watching many, if any games this year. In 2016 I watched the final two German playoff games and that was it.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

Interesting top teams with history like Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA, Cameroon, Ghana and Ivory Coast will miss the event. :waterfall:

These world cups are getting very very boring w the diluted field. Plus the best players are very tired at the end of the long season nowadays, so they cant play at their best during the tournament. The teams like Panama, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Tunesia dont wanna play at all, just get through with draws. 0-0 and 1-0 will be very popular again. Hopefully there will be at least few matches w some drama or goals, otherwise... :waterfall:

To bring the world cup in Russia is an offence against the sport, illogical but political decision. Quatar is getting ready. 😠

I hope im wrong 👍

Sadly @cris1285 money talks and no-one will convince me both tournaments were bought and not voted for fairly. However I will be watching, that probably tells you more about me than anything else. 😞

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@cris1285 wrote:

Interesting top teams with history like Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA, Cameroon, Ghana and Ivory Coast will miss the event. :waterfall:

These world cups are getting very very boring w the diluted field. Plus the best players are very tired at the end of the long season nowadays, so they cant play at their best during the tournament. The teams like Panama, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Tunesia dont wanna play at all, just get through with draws. 0-0 and 1-0 will be very popular again. Hopefully there will be at least few matches w some drama or goals, otherwise... :waterfall:

To bring the world cup in Russia is an offence against the sport, illogical but political decision. Quatar is getting ready. 😠

I hope im wrong 👍

I can't agree with your comment about the selection of teams. I think the selection is what makes the tournament great, and I couldn't care less that the Dutch, Italian etc. didn't qualify - if you suck during the qualification, you simply don't deserve to go. Especially the Dutch boys have been absolutely horrible, and I think it'd be a disgrace if they were automatically qualified just because of their history - I guess that's the alternative?

I'm looking very much forward to watching especially Morocco :)

Your Russia comment I tend to agree with, but looking at the 2022 WC, I don't think Russia is that bad a location :D when there's so much money in a sport like football, and there's such a lack of regulation and rules, it's destined to be ❤️♥️❤️ed - the Premier League, La Liga, WC in Russia and Quatar etc. etc.

@testuser1 wrote:

@cris1285 wrote:

I hope im wrong 👍

I can't agree with your comment about the selection of teams. I think the selection is what makes the tournament great, and I couldn't care less that the Dutch, Italian etc. didn't qualify - if you suck during the qualification, you simply don't deserve to go. Especially the Dutch boys have been absolutely horrible, and I think it'd be a disgrace if they were automatically qualified just because of their history - I guess that's the alternative?

I'm looking very much forward to watching especially Morocco :)

Your Russia comment I tend to agree with, but looking at the 2022 WC, I don't think Russia is that bad a location :D when there's so much money in a sport like football, and there's such a lack of regulation and rules, it's destined to be ❤️♥️❤️ed - the Premier League, La Liga, WC in Russia and Quatar etc. etc.

For me a Germany - Netherlands would be more interesting match up than a Germany - Panama. And i dont even talk about Panama - Tunesia, what i would never watch, better to clean the toilet (but im open minded, they can change my mind). I dont mean the teams like Italy and Netherlands should be there automatically, they indeed should earn their place, and its an absolute shame didnt happen. But the whole tournament, their country and us (who like soccer) all loose if they are not there competing.  

Is Moroccan that good? :laugh: I hope some of the underrated team will go deep w some great football like Costa Rica or Algeria four years ago. I just want surprises, dramas, moments i will never forget. From the last one i have only the 7-1 in my mind, and actually that was the ONLY ONE match in the knockout stage with more than three goals... At least if we have e.g. Italy against Germany, we can see some wonderful penalties (Euro 2016) we always will laugh on. 🤣

Btw the selection would be better w less teams. EURO`s are always better and more exciting because there are less teams, and they are nearer to each other on the power ranking, so even in the group we can see great matches. WC group stage usually extremely boring. 

I dont expect much this summer, but lets see. 

The Euro turned to ❤️♥️❤️ once they increased the field from 16 to 24 teams. I don't care about watching Wales-Northern Ireland or whoever played there the last time. Giving the world cup to Russia is not that bad, playing in Qatar in the winter still takes the cake.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

Just reviewed the groups again and I stand corrected Netherlands in fact did not make it!

It just shows that a great historical past can be upturned.

But I did notice that either Iceland or Senegal would lift the Cup in this installment :atisfied:

Germany, France, Brazil or Spain.  They are the winners for me. I do not think Portugal will make it this time.  

Spain always seem to dissapoint when it's WC , but I think they have a decent squad and should do well this year. 

Regarding betting on games from the group stage , Group G looks the most easy to me , since both England and Belgium will win their 2 first group games for sure. Then a final third game between them will decide who will win the group .  

Poland may have a chance to qualify to the kockout phase. Also I'd like to see Belgium to success finally, since having huge amount of quality players. Germany again in top 4. Russia was huge dissappoint in European Championships, perhaps they'll do better this time?

I've made a small 1x2 World Cup 2018 prediction competition site for the group phase (48 fixtures).. :D. Join using the link below:

World Cup 2018 prediction competition

Archived