Who keeps the live score for the betting providers

nekoneko

These days we have a small ITF tennis tournament called Vrancea Trophy in my city Focsani, Romania.  And i saw that we could even bet on one match from it today.
And thinking about it, my curiosity grew about a few aspects. Some of them might sound stupid, but here they are :

- Who keeps the score in real time, in all the small tournaments around the world in various sports ? There could be thousands in a day. 

- Are these people employees of the betting providers themselves, like Kambi, or another entity ? And if they're employed by the providers, does each provider has their own people, or is it a centralised database for more of them to get the live scores ?

- What kind of tech do these people have, to be fast enough to update the score so that people that watch live don't get to cheat bet?

- This tournament is not even filmed i think, so who verifies that the "mysterious people" update the score properly ? Especially each tennis point won.

In the first days of this tournament there are really few spectators and i didn't notice anyone that could be my "mystery score guys" :)

380274831_betfocs.thumb.JPG.5aa6b02d6b073def50b841768f84a6e0.JPG

• Like 2

Haha yea, would be an interesting job to travel everywhere and watch sports. Although you need to know what's happening at all times, especially for the side bet things, like what hapends first in the next minute (fault, free kick etc etc )

And  yet like i said i didn't see anyone that interested in the score and having a phone or tablet at all times in his hands. I guess i must go again and watch everyone like a hawk :)

• Like 2

@nekoneko wrote:

Haha yea, would be an interesting job to travel everywhere and watch sports. Although you need to know what's happening at all times, especialy for the side bet things, like what hapends first in the next minute (fault, free kick etc etc )

And  yet like i said i didn't see anyone that interested in the score and having a phone or tablet at all times in his hands. I guess i must go again and watch everyone like a hawk :)

Btw if you are at the venue. Do you know how big is the delay between things happen and online score changing? I support the idea they have a contract with a provider, who have access to umpires data traffic what grants being up-to-date.

@psrquack If you watch BBC 1Player "Can you beat the Bookies?"  there is a fascinating section on a live score tennis scam where a courtside spectator will pass on live updates to a confederate before the umpire updates the score. The "fed" gets bets on with a bookie as fast as possible, and some teams have been known to make substantial amounts of money before accounts are closed. Worth a watch but not really practical for you and I. 🤣

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Umm no, no ideea how much is the delay cause i don't bet from phone. Might seek into it next time :)

Also it's surely agaisnt TOS to try to beat it like this, so didn't feel like trying xd I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity since these questions popped in my head.

But ye hypothetically speaking, if you identify the guy that updates the score.. maybe you put your GF to strip in front of him right when someone loses his serving points or something xd That should give you enough time.

My eyes are not so great, but i don't think the umpire had any tablet too.. Maybe if some better seeing friend is with me next time, will ask him lol. This tournament is untill 15 sept.

If he's the one updating the score, then it should be unbeatable.

@nekoneko 

The point the documentary makes is that some umpires are a touch slower updating the scores, only be a few seconds, but time enough for someone courtside to update on an open phone to a collaborator who puts the bets on, literally split seconds before the bookies receive automatic updates. Sitting by the court and openly talking into a phone is obviously frowned on, so these guys go to great lengths to hide what they are doing, long hair covering earpieces for example, and it looks a lot of hard work for a tiny edge, but apparently there are more than you think trying to make a living doing these things. It's very interesting but if you're not into fulltime scamming I'd give it a miss. 🤣

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

But if it works for them, then why talk on the phone and not just press BET themselves? :P

And yea since there's money involved there are surely cases when people conspire to do stuff like that.
I'm more curious about the normal situations.
Especially since the day i went there, i saw only like 4 spectators on the seats, some trainers, a couple of girls that played their matches already and were chilling, watching the others, 1 doctor, and the volunteers that help clean the courts.

So that's why last evening when i saw on Unibet  that match on live bets, i was like , but who tf was keeping the live score then ? lol

@JeppeL wrote:

@psrquack wrote:

2 years ago I saw a vacant job like this was advertised (score scout). Shame I didn't apply for that.

@psrquack Do you remember where you saw this kind of job advertised? I've never seen anything like it anywhere, and sometimes wondered where they got the people to do the scores :)

@JeppeL , 

If you google "score scout vacancies" there are plenty of jobs offers for something like this. 

• Like 1
"When things are bad, it's the best time to reinvent yourself"

@JeppeL wrote:

@psrquack Do you remember where you saw this kind of job advertised? I've never seen anything like it anywhere, and sometimes wondered where they got the people to do the scores :)

Sure, but that couln't shed light on it. It was on the greatest local advertising forum and not exactly pointed for scout as job description, but they looked someone, who lives in the capital, knows the rules of various sportsarts and have time to visit the events (it was volleyball and lower league soccer and handball and basketball mentioned), have a laptop/phone with internet and acts very discliplined. I'm sure it was a providor's job offer which was independent from betting firms espcially focused for lower league/not streamed events. Well, next time I will give them a shot.:atisfied:

One of my mates used to do the football updates at Spurs; got paid a match ticket, £50 and had a PDA he had to enter all of the action onto. If he made more than a couple of mistakes or was more than a few seconds at pressing the action then he would get disciplined!
  • Like 3

Thats a nice job, i knew somebody who used to travel just to watch a match and click on the tablet. The bad thing if you make a mistake (when the bookie close all the options), its deducted from your salary. :laugh:

https://www.statsperform.com/

Quite interesting site, Opta, Omnisports and the other brands on the bottom, with job offers. E.g.: https://www.optasports.com/about/work-for-opta/

• Like 2

@Livertool wrote:

If it pays 50£ there ain't much to worry if you lose that. But in the next match there would be much more mistakes and that would be the last day in that job 🤣

Imagine he is away with Spurs and home hools attack happens. Would you run for your life and lose your job or keep the job, but risk an injury?

• Like 1

I think match-fixing takes place everywhere and it always will be. I will talk about my country. In my camp there are a lot of contractual matches in the second leagues, because no one is following them. in the first leagues too, but less. even the Belarus national football team got caught

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%B2,_%D0%92%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%94%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87

usually it’s not the whole team but a group of players

providers do not know about this. they are all exactly they receive only a percentage, as in poker or cazino

• Like 1

@Merenitsu  There will always be players willing to try to influence results but this is about the actual reporting of scores. In the tennis examples it's about actually being at the event and getting bets on before the official updates, which does go on to a certain extent. The reason some do it to an accomplice away from the match is to avoid suspicion, if you were seen betting on your phone immediately after a point it would certainly look dodgy. There's a huge black markey in betting accounts, used to make as much money as quickly as possible before they are shut down or heavily restricted after a few relatively small winning bets. 

Cricketers bowling no balls to order, footballers kicking the ball into touch in the first few seconds, snooker score fixing and a history of boxers taking a dive in a predetermined round, where there's money to be made someone will try and make it. There's even the classic case of non existent greyhound meetings having full sets of results forwarded to the press, a full and diverse history of scams of every possible sort.As we say in Yorkshire, "Where there's muck, there's brass." The internet now just provides different ways of trying to make a fast buck. 🤣

@Livertool wrote:

If it pays 50£ there ain't much to worry if you lose that. But in the next match there would be much more mistakes and that would be the last day in that job 🤣

He was a Spurs fan but got a free match ticket and paid £50 for 90 mins of pressing a few buttons? I wouldn’t wanna lose that job! 

@Brocky wrote:

@Livertool wrote:

He was a Spurs fan but got a free match ticket and paid £50 for 90 mins of pressing a few buttons? I wouldn’t wanna lose that job! 

Yeah, job is sweet. Rebel in me is just against that kind of mafia management of make a mistake and don't get payed.

• Like 1