E. Bayern, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens

F. Man City, Shahtar, Lyon, Hoffenheim

G. Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moscow, Plzen

H. Juventus, Man Utd, Valencia, Young Boys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@testuser1 wrote:

@Livertool wrote:

Expected but still NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Waterfall:

amazing news :) no more robbing Schalke of 3 points :D 

:Laugh: As if Schalke would be playing in the UCL next season...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@cris1285 wrote:

I dont remember when was the Bundesliga so weak like now. Before WW2? 🤣

@cris1285 Bundesliga teams managed to get 15 points so far. Premier League teams got 10 ;)

I believe three Bundesliga teams (Dortmund, Schalke and Bayern) will make it past the group stage. Not unlikely with just 1 Premier League team as it looks right now :)

By no means saying that means the Bundesliga is stronger (I will say it's a far more interesting league with a far better format and set of rules though), but I don't think the Bundesliga is that weak :) 

@testuser1 wrote:

By no means saying that means the Bundesliga is stronger (I will say it's a far more interesting league with a far better format and set of rules though), but I don't think the Bundesliga is that weak :) 

After Bayern won the past 6 years in a row? I agree, there are a lot of different clubs and mentalities here. You have Bayern, the BVB, Schalke, Red Bull, Leverkusen, and so on, which all are capable of playing an important role. But since maybe 2013/2014 I feel the Bundesliga has gotten weaker and weaker.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@testuser1 wrote:

@cris1285 wrote:

I dont remember when was the Bundesliga so weak like now. Before WW2? 🤣

@cris1285 Bundesliga teams managed to get 15 points so far. Premier League teams got 10 ;)

I believe three Bundesliga teams (Dortmund, Schalke and Bayern) will make it past the group stage. Not unlikely with just 1 Premier League team as it looks right now :)

I know you love Bundesliga, and it is the most entertaining for you. But be realistic. 

Dortmund will go through. Would be shame not to, having Monaco and Bruges in the group. 

Bayern will go through. No doubt, with Ajax, Benfica and AEK in the group, would be the joke of the decade to fail. 

Schalke will go through? Maybe, but look at that 3 teams around them. Lowest quality group ever. First seed Lokomotiv Moscow. Wow!  

On the other hand, the strongest groups are B (Barca, Inter, PSV, Tottenham), C (PSG, Liverpool, Napoli, Crvena) F (Manchester City, Lyon, Hoffenheim, Sakhtar) and H (Juve, Valencia, MU, Young Boys). You can see a PL club in every group(s of death). Thats the reason they have less points than the germans, nothing else. Should we switch them, all english would qualify to the next round with ease, while the germans would finish on the 3rd (at best), except maybe Bayern. 

But if you watched Hoffenheim - City, we dont even need to count the points, the difference is hurting. Manchester played about 50%, and still won away, because arguably they are way stronger, faster in movement and thinking too, let alone experience. Bayern - Ajax, Munich almost lost at home. They have a very old team, they cant buy anymore worldclass players, but still, they will win the Bundesliga by march like every season. So yeah, i think Bundesliga is weak. However, they have a great league, but not anymore a factor in the CL. 

@testuser1 wrote:

@WuDuAs a Schalke fan I can't really care that much about the Meisterschaft. I look at the league as a whole, and the relegation battle and fight for Champions League spots is just as interesting to me :)

I do agree that the league isn't as strong as it was five years ago.

Yep, i like the playoff for the Bundesliga. Its really interesting league, i do follow, but unfortunately they lack of quality. I miss the times when Bayern didnt rob Dortmund, and at least they had two good teams in Europe. 

@cris1285 wrote:

I know you love Bundesliga, and it is the most entertaining for you. But be realistic. 

Dortmund will go through. Would be shame not to, having Monaco and Bruges in the group. 

Bayern will go through. No doubt, with Ajax, Benfica and AEK in the group, would be the joke of the decade to fail. 

Schalke will go through? Maybe, but look at that 3 teams around them. Lowest quality group ever. First seed Lokomotiv Moscow. Wow!  

On the other hand, the strongest groups are B (Barca, Inter, PSV, Tottenham), C (PSG, Liverpool, Napoli, Crvena) F (Manchester City, Lyon, Hoffenheim, Sakhtar) and H (Juve, Valencia, MU, Young Boys). You can see a PL club in every group(s of death). Thats the reason they have less points than the germans, nothing else. Should we switch them, all english would qualify to the next round with ease, while the germans would finish on the 3rd (at best), except maybe Bayern. 

But if you watched Hoffenheim - City, we dont even need to count the points, the difference is hurting. Manchester played about 50%, and still won away, because arguably they are way stronger, faster in movement and thinking too, let alone experience. Bayern - Ajax, Munich almost lost at home. They have a very old team, they cant buy anymore worldclass players, but still, they will win the Bundesliga by march like every season. So yeah, i think Bundesliga is weak. However, they have a great league, but not anymore a factor in the CL. 

@cris1285

How much did City net invest over the past 3 summers? 450 M Euro or so? Hoffenheim made 17,5 M Euro over the past 3 years by selling players. I think we can both agree that having an investment gap approaching half a billion Euro should probably lead to a difference in quality, don't you think? That's like comparing apples and oranges. Hoffenheim is not the typical UCL team from the Bundesliga, they are there because of Nagelsmann, who's one of the best German coaches. And despite that and a few injuries, they held City to a draw for 87 minutes.

Bayern didn't invest much this year, they stole Goretzka from S04 and sold some of their dead weight for a huge surplus. I guess they're planning to make moves next year when they have to replace Robben and Ribery and maybe some others.

Maybe you should watch some Dortmund games in the next few weeks, Bayern is not winning the league in March this year. This year, despite being in a transition year, we have THE best offense in Germany right now. Reus is the best German player again right now, Alcacer was a great pick-up and our youngsters Sancho and Bruun Larsen are going through the roof! And in contrast to last year, we also have a rock solid defense...

One of the best things about the Bundesliga is the 50+1 rule. To me, the Premier League (you can include the French league and others as well) is completely ruined by foreign investors. Football should be about the club values, traditions and most importantly the fans. The fan culture and attendance in Germany is so superior, and the same goes for talent development.
Unfortunately, the 50+1 rule also means the German teams can't invest ridiculously stupid amounts, which will make it difficult to compete with teams like PSG, Chelsea, City etc. However, money isn't everything, which we see time and time again in the Champions League and Europa League.
As mentioned in my previous post, I'm not saying the Bundesliga is better, but the difference is very small, as also evident from the past 5 years in CL and EL.
As Wudu says, Bayern will make some significant investments next year :)

Archived