Stubbe's Bundesliga Corner

BonusPater

@WuDu wrote:

so maybe the BVB chiefs are planning for us to play with 3 defenders next season:

Bürki

Akanji-Hummels-Diallo

Hakimi                                 Schulz

Witsel-Brandt

Sancho              Reus  

Alcacer 

Doubt about that...he will,probably,start with 4-2-3-1.Second option will be 4-3-3.

You can "read" that by Hazard-Brandt transfers...plus profiles of players that are already in the team,like Gotze,Reus,Sancho.

That transfer,if goes through,is exactly what I wanted to see!

Vocal,experienced central defender.

Things looks good WuDu...I am taking "BVB to win Bundesliga" next season,for sure.Especially at @7,00! :Wink:

• Like 1

@XY wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

so maybe the BVB chiefs are planning for us to play with 3 defenders next season:

Bürki

Akanji-Hummels-Diallo

Hakimi                                 Schulz

Witsel-Brandt

Sancho              Reus  

Alcacer 

Doubt about that...he will,probably,start with 4-2-3-1.Second option will be 4-3-3.

You can "read" that by Hazard-Brandt transfers...plus profiles of players that are already in the team,like Gotze,Reus,Sancho.

That transfer,if goes through,is exactly what I wanted to see!

Vocal,experienced central defender.

Things looks good WuDu...I am taking "BVB to win Bundesliga" next season,for sure.Especially at @7,00! :Wink:

Actually, that's a nice value bet, however be aware that if Bayern sells Hummels, they're probably scratching together all the cash they can to buy Leroy Sane...

@XY  I have to disagree with you here regarding the #1 formation. You're right, we were playing 4-2-3-1 practically all of the time last season, however if you look at the players we can probably work with, that system would be sub-optimal for us:

Let's assume we're getting Hummels and Guerreiro is going to Barca:

Bürki

Hakimi-Akanji-Hummels-Schulz

Witsel-Delaney

Hazard-Reus-Sancho

Alcacer

Hakimi thinks he's the offensive version of Marcelo, Schulz played 2/3 of his games this past season as left midfielder. Nice, both of our wing backs want to attack and Hummels is ultra slow. I think I suffered enough last season...:Laugh:  However you want to keep Diallo on the bench? When is Zagadou getting playing time?

Delaney is a great player due to his mentality but he's not the creative player we need against teams parking the bus. And most of the teams in the Bundesliga play defensively against the BVB. Besides, whom do you want to play if Witsel/Delaney are injured, need a break or are suspended? Weigl? Dahoud? Or do you want Brandt to play as defensive midfielder? These options are far from ideal.

The offense is looking good, however what if Hazard cannot play? Automatically plug in Bruun Larsen on the left? What if Sancho cannot play? Like I said before, with the 4-2-3-1 you have to sit a lot of great players and especially on offense you still have an issue replacing the starters in case of injuries etc.

Something else that might happen is that the BVB already has a deal in place to sell Akanji/Diallo. Let's say we sell Diallo to PSG and replace him with Hummels. Than I could see the BVB implementing a 4-1-4-1:

Bürki

Hakimi-Akanji-Hummels-Schulz

Witsel

Hazard-Reus-Brandt-Sancho

Alcacer

Yeah, a great system if you want to concede over 40 goals again. Especially if you look at the wing backs on the roster, I'm starting to believe that we're switching up the formation this year...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@XY wrote:

Also,would not be surprised,and hope so,if he decide to switch for 4-3-3/3-4-3 formation.

Only those options I could see,if he decide not to play 4-2-3-1.

Have no idea why would you play with 3 at the back? With that formation,they are losing one attacking threat.Maybe 4-3-3 would be ideal,as Favre can mix the middle field and top threes all the time without losing performance consistency.

A. Witsel or T. Delaney can have that DM spot.CM are Götze and  Reus,Brandt as a option there.Hazard one wing,Sancho second.ST is Paco.

We can play this guessing game till 6-7.round of Bundesliga,because till then neither Favre will have a clear picture. 😉

*just to add,those are all "the same formations",mentioned by you and me...only thing what separates one from the other is players profile.

@XY wrote:

Have no idea why would you play with 3 at the back? With that formation,they are losing one attacking threat.Maybe 4-3-3 would be ideal,as Favre can mix the middle field and top threes all the time without losing performance consistency.

A. Witsel or T. Delaney can have that DM spot.CM are Götze and  Reus,Brandt as a option there.Hazard one wing,Sancho second.ST is Paco.

As far as I understand, the wingbacks are way more offensive with 3 central defenders in contrast to two centre backs. However all you have to do is to look at our current roster:

• Our wingbacks are playing offensively (Hakimi, Schulz, Wolf). Only Piszczek is a traditional right back in a 4-2-3-1, however he is 34 years old, fighting with injuries and just 1 year away from calling it quits.
  • We don't have enough wingers on offense anymore. Last year we rostered Sancho, Guerreiro, Pulisic and Bruun Larsen. Guerreiro and Pulisic are out, Hazard comes in. So, what do you want to do in case you need to rotate? Play Brandt away from his best position? Immediately give playing time to Bruun Larsen regardless of performance? What if 2 guys cannot play?
  • We would have 4 incredibly talented centre backs with Hummels, Akanji, Diallo and Zagadou. Weigl, also did a good job playing as a defender last year. Just a few months ago we signed Balerdi from Argentina for 15 M Euro. Piszczek could play on the right side in a 3 men defense as well. I believe that you should play your best guys and especially once our depth will be tested, a 3 men defensive line gives us much better options.
  • Also, don't forget that we conceded a lot of goals via free kicks and corner kicks last season. Another centre back could really help us taking care of that issue.
  • With Hummels playing, we would also add playmaking ability from the back. So I think in the end a change of formation would really benefit us. Especially on the road, we had a lot of games where we totally lacked creativity (Augsburg, Nürnberg, Bayern :laugh: ).

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDu wrote:

As far as I understand, the wingbacks are way more offensive with 3 central defenders in contrast to two centre backs.

Uncorrect! Then why Serie A does not produce best defensive wingers?

Most of the clubs,that uses that formation,wants to have ball possesion (safe ball),and build their attacks from the back.

That being said,I dont see purpose of playing that formation in BVB.

With 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 they could bulid attack much faster and play offensive pressing more comfortably.

Also,seems you forgot on players that will be back after the June...Toljan,Schürrle,Kagawa and Rode😉

About problems from "dead play"...I am afraid they will stay. :scared:

@XY wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

As far as I understand, the wingbacks are way more offensive with 3 central defenders in contrast to two centre backs.

Uncorrect! Then why Serie A does not produce best defensive wingers?

Most of the clubs,that uses that formation,wants to have ball possesion (safe ball),and build their attacks from the back.

That being said,I dont see purpose of playing that formation in BVB.

With 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 they could bulid attack much faster and play offensive pressing more comfortably.

Also,seems you forgot on players that will be back after the June...Toljan,Schürrle,Kagawa and Rode😉

About problems from "dead play"...I am afraid they will stay. :scared:

:laugh: I think there are a few more factors determining whether a league produces great players at certain positions, don't you agree?

4-3-3 is not gonna happen! Reus made another step forward last year playing directly behind Alcacer or rotating with Götze, Favre is not putting him on the left side again or experimenting with him in central midfield. We had a ton of issues with the 4-2-3-1 last year and next year, as I've shown, we're lacking players to play this system. As of now, I simply don't see it, especially with Hakimi and Schulz as our designated starters. Will be interesting to watch the International Champions Cup then in a few weeks...

Toljan, Schürrle, Kagawa, Rode. You forgot Passlack and Burnic....:laugh: The only thing these guys will do next year is pumping up the balls and serving cold drinks to the other players before they get shipped out again. Same goes for Toprak and Philipp... 

@WuDu wrote:

:laugh: I think there are a few more factors determining whether a league produces great players at certain positions, don't you agree?

4-3-3 is not gonna happen! Reus made another step forward last year playing directly behind Alcacer or rotating with Götze, Favre is not putting him on the left side again or experimenting with him in central midfield. We had a ton of issues with the 4-2-3-1 last year and next year, as I've shown, we're lacking players to play this system. As of now, I simply don't see it, especially with Hakimi and Schulz as our designated starters. Will be interesting to watch the International Champions Cup then in a few weeks...

Toljan, Schürrle, Kagawa, Rode. You forgot Passlack and Burnic....:laugh: The only thing these guys will do next year is pumping up the balls and serving cold drinks to the other players before they get shipped out again. Same goes for Toprak and Philipp... 

Fair! 😃

Yeah,definitely "looking forward" to watch those "exciting" preparations. 😪

Kagawa had solid season there...and when I watched them,Besiktas,he looked very lively.

He could have some "key passes" next season,for sure. 😉

Others are option,I agree. :laugh:

We will see...

But @WuDu,what about Schalke? I don't see here their only fan from Malta 🤣

@XY wrote:

Nah,considering that Bayern always starts strong,I am giving Kovač till half season.

I do not belive in those Sane rumours,but maybe Bale...Hmmm.

Don't wanna ruin your evening WuDu ,but...

According to The Sun, Bayern Munich are ready to offer Gareth Bale an escape from Real Madrid.

:scared:

@XY wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

Fair! 😃

Kagawa had solid season there...and when I watched them,Besiktas,he looked very lively.

We will see...

Wish I had something to shout about. Not sure what to expect of next season at this stage 🤣

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions

@XY wrote:

Fair! 😃

We will see...

Kagawa is still a great player, however with Reus, Götze, Brandt and maybe even Hazard, there are way too many other guys playing his position. Philipp and especially Toprak could be strong players as well, if given trust and playing time. Rode played well for Frankfurt and will stay there. Schürrle is a hopeless case, but some idiot team will bite as well, especially if we pay part of his salary...

Schalke is having a solid offseason so far, not on the BVB level of course, but very solid. They picked up Reschke to plan their roster and take care of the scouting. Reschke did a good job doing that in Leverkusen a few years ago.

Little fun fact: Under former GM Heidel, Schalke didn't have a scouting department anymore. :speechless:

Wie-christian-heidel-das-scouting-system-revolutioniert-id212414593.html

This article from 18 months ago is absolutely hilarious. Heidel had the genius idea to let 27 university students watch games in front of the computer here in Germany instead of having pro scouts watching players in person. 🤣 It gets even better, Armine Harit was praised by Heidel in the article as the poster boy for this way of "scouting"....:laugh: Only in Schalke...

Rodrigo from Atletico Madrid potentially on his way to City...hmmmmmmmmmm.....what about Gündogan then? Maybe the rumours of Gündogan thinking about a return to the BVB are true as well? 👍 Just imagine that team, especially with Sancho playing here for the next 1 or even 2 years...

When I think about how Stubbe was basically pitching a tent 12 months ago, due to Salif Sane coming to S04, what am I going to do then with an offseason like that? :laugh:

Sad that I need to be the one to tell you,but Gündogan is going nowhere. 😉

Fernandinho is playing his last year for sure...Fabian Delph barley got playing times so...only real,for the future,option is Phil Foden.
Hmmm,no.Not gonna work! 

Douglas Luiz (loaned to Girona) had solid season there,but he will not make first team.
Though I really like his playing stile...similar to Fernandinho.
Future is bright for him.

Only if they splash some money for DM,but I can't see good players on the market currently.

Like I mentioned, it's a rumour, you can read about more and more over the last few weeks....

Splashing money you say?

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2019/06/18/5d081b80268e3e3f628b45d3.html

Gündogan hasn't extended his contract, yet. If he wants to come back due to personal reasons, the time is now...Hummels, Brandt, Hazard, Reus, Sancho, Alcacer, Witsel. What a team that already is!

@XY wrote:

Aha,it all make sense now. 🤣

Marca 

I understand your wishes,but I am looking on satisfying both sides. 😉

There are no both sides since Gündogan's contract runs out in 2020. The question is, what does he want? Continue to play in England, maybe move on to Real/Barca if given the opportunity or maybe he wants to go home, still get paid a ton of money, and finish his career with the BVB. If it's the latter, the time is now! Reus, Witsel, Hummels are in their prime, Sancho is still playing for us, with Hakimi, Akanji, Brandt, Zagadou we have guys that could explode next year. With Götze, Delaney, Alcacer, Hazard, Schulz we have veterans rounding out the roster. This team will be incredible to watch next year...

With City you never know who they're going to pick up at Gündogan's position because Pep "I need a better roster" Guardiola starts complaining. Who knows for how long Pep even stays at City? That's a lot of uncertainty...

@WuDu wrote:

@XY wrote:

Aha,it all make sense now. 🤣

Marca 

I understand your wishes,but I am looking on satisfying both sides. 😉

There are no both sides since Gündogan's contract runs out in 2020. The question is, what does he want? Continue to play in England, maybe move on to Real/Barca if given the opportunity or maybe he wants to go home, still get paid a ton of money, and finish his career with the BVB. If it's the latter, the time is now! Reus, Witsel, Hummels are in their prime, Sancho is still playing for us, with Hakimi, Akanji, Brandt, Zagadou we have guys that could explode next year. With Götze, Delaney, Alcacer, Hazard, Schulz we have veterans rounding out the roster. This team will be incredible to watch next year...

With City you never know who they're going to pick up at Gündogan's position because Pep "I need a better roster" Guardiola starts complaining. Who knows for how long Pep even stays at City? That's a lot of uncertainty...

Must admit latest transfers,last one-two years,didn't had sense to me whatsoever,so wouldn't be surprised by anything. :happyshy:

Hey,Gary Neville is Sky sports expert...Rio Ferdinand is about to become sporting director of Man U...José Mourinho still without the club...Neymar back to Barca... :wow:

Hummels to our beloved BVB now confirmed for 31,5 M Euro :speechless: plus potential add-ons of 6-7 M Euro! That makes him the most expensive BVB transfer of all time. I like this transfer but that is just so much money. At least we're spending it now instead of overpaying big league for some bum once Sancho brings in 150+ M in a year or two.

To me this means we're switching to a 3 man defense, at least I hope so, giving us more stability and more offensive power with Hakimi and Schulz on the wings and Akanji and Diallo securing them.

Next man up: Gündogan back to the BVB!

Stubbe right now:7H1v8ny

:laugh:

• Like 1

I predict BXB will do as well as I predicted Schalke would last season - and hope my prediction will be just as bad :D

Don't really know what to think of the Hummels transfer. Had he been a couple years younger, it'd have been great, but his age and everything considered, I do believe it's too much money - remember, we only paid 7m for Sané and 9.5 for Nastasic ;)

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions

@Stubbe-Unibet wrote:

Don't really know what to think of the Hummels transfer. Had he been a couple years younger, it'd have been great, but his age and everything considered, I do believe it's too much money - remember, we only paid 7m for Sané and 9.5 for Nastasic ;)

How did that turn out for you guys? You get what you pay for...:laugh:

The Kicker voted Hummels as the best Bundesliga defender in 2019, so 30 M or so is a lot but still OK. Just take a look at what Lucas Hernandez or Virgil van Dijk did cost or what de Ligt will cost this year. You have to put these numbers in perspective.

Re S04: Schalke likely to pick up Germany's #2 U-21 goalie Schubert from Dresden----> Hasta la vista Nübel, either this year for a small fee or next year for free. But now comes the best part, I've read that former GM Heidel didn't know the details of Nübel's contract before promoting him to #1! :laugh:

@Livertoolwill be ecstatic about the next one:

Red Bull Leipzig and Paderborn have decided to not further pursue the idea of a co-operation between the two clubs. Stupid idiots in the Paderborn fanbase probably got their wish fulfilled or Red Bull wasn't willing to loan out anybody of value to us. Sad!

Another rumour I read from a BVB twitter insider ( :laugh: ) with a solid track record is that either Diallo or Zagadou might be leaving the club this year. This would mean that we'd probably stay in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1. @XY would be happy about that one. It depends on what Favre is planning to do with Brandt and Reus. The BVB players are used to rotate a lot up front during the games, so maybe he views Brandt/Reus as potential starters on the left side:

Alcacer/Götze

Brandt-Reus-Sancho

with Hazard, Götze and Bruun Larsen as the back-ups. I absolutely don't like that formation. All it takes is one injury and you're completely out of options...

Having said that, kicker.de is now reporting that Rodrigo is moving to City. So @XY, what's happening now with Gündogan? :laugh: Especially in a 4-2-3-1 we'd need another midfielder to play next to Witsel!

The BVB also signed Morey from Barca's U-19 yesterday for the right defensive side and are in talks to sell Philipp.

@WuDu wrote:

The Kicker voted Hummels as the best Bundesliga defender in 2019, so 30 M or so is a lot but still OK. Just take a look at what Lucas Hernandez or Virgil van Dijk did cost or what de Ligt will cost this year. YOu have to put these number in perspective.

Red Bull Leipzig and Paderborn have decided to not further pursue the idea of a co-operation between the two clubs. Stupid idiots in the Paderborn fanbase probably got their wish fulfilled or Red Bull wasn't willing to loan out anybody of value to us. Sad!

Virgil did cost much but reward was well worth it 😉

Look at that. There is still certain amount of sanity in this crazy world (even in Germany) :D

@Livertool wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

The Kicker voted Hummels as the best Bundesliga defender in 2019, so 30 M or so is a lot but still OK. Just take a look at what Lucas Hernandez or Virgil van Dijk did cost or what de Ligt will cost this year. YOu have to put these number in perspective.

Virgil did cost much but reward was well worth it 😉

Look at that. There is still certain amount of sanity in this crazy world (even in Germany) :D

Nah, this move is totally crazy, unless Red Bull was insisting on ridiculous demands! However even without Red Bull, Paderborn is building a nasty team to play against for the new season. They have 8 or 9 guys that run the 30 meters in under 3,9 seconds (or whatever the respective benchmark is). Especially in the first half of the season, I'm expecting them to surprise some unsuspecting teams like Schalke, Wolfsburg or Frankfurt.

@WuDu wrote:

Having said that, kicker.de is now reporting that Rodrigo is moving to City. So @XY, what's happening now with Gündogan? 

Here you go...

"Atletico Madrid are set to seal the signing of midfielder Marcos Llorente after announcing a deal with city rivals Real Madrid has been agreed".

@WuDu right now...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/jon-fan.gif

• Like 1

@XY tenor

I think it was never in question that Rodrigo was leaving Atletico, however his destination was unknown. Of course it's only logical then that Atletico needs some replacement for him. If Rodrigo really signs with City, this could mean that Gündogan is about to leave. In addition to that, maybe this increases the chance for Sane to Bayern. Should that happen, what's Timo Werner going to do then? Waiting one year, so he has to get in line behind Sane, Lewa, Coman, Müller and Gnabry? Or maybe the BVB can get him as well? :cash: 

We could use another winger/back-up for Alcacer. Sancho is about to leave in the near future, opening up another spot for playing time. I don't know about you, however if Werner hasn't signed anything with Bayern yet, I'd listen to the BVB...

News from S04: Embolo is in talks with Gladbach. The interesting part is that his buy-out clause is said to be 25 M Euro. Of course the smurfs will never see that money, however they paid 26,5 M Euro to Basel 3 years ago...Who's making these contracts? :laugh:

It's almost July and the Bayern roster looks a little small even after spending 120 M Euro so far:

Süle, Boateng, Alaba, Kimmich, Hernandez, Pavard are the defenders.

Thiago, Martinez, Goretzka, Tolisso, Renato Sanchez are the midfield players.

Coman, Gnabry, Davies, Müller, Lewa,  Arp are the wingers and strikers.

That's 17 players if you exclude the goalkeepers. However Boateng is on his way out, Renato Sanchez wants to leave as well and Davies/Arp are just talented youth players. Tolisso is coming off an ACL that caused him to miss the final 31 games last season and Hernandez is currently injured. The last time I saw a small roster like that was when I was playing Bundesliga Manager 98! :laugh: