Stubbe's Bundesliga Corner

BonusPater

@testuser1 wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

@testuser1

Schweinfurt, Drochtersen and Pforzheim held their own as well. All playing in leagues below Fürth. So what does that say about S04, Bayern or Leverkusen? So great selective reporting on your part, you should apply to CNN! 😃

Perhaps if you oversimplify things - like a certain president - and only look at the result :) Didn't watch the Bayern or Leverkusen games, but watched all 90 minutes of Schalkes game, and despite the result (0-2), it was a really comfortable win, as it should be. Defense was rock solid and Schalke never risked much - might not get you big wins nor the most attractive offensive play, but in our case it's the safest way to a win, just like last season. Dortmund on the other hand were on their ass and could just as well have been knocked out with 5 minutes left. 

When Reus gets injured again - or will this be the first time since the 10/11 season that he doesn't miss multiple games due to injury? - you're going to struggle real hard, especially if you don't sign a proper striker. Di Santo should be cheap ;)

Shades of Magicadil type logic in your statement. Schweinfurt is playing in Regionalliga Bayern! That's the split 4th tier of German football! Those guys are semi-pros. Of course, playing Fürth (bascially THE 2. Bundesliga team) on National TV and without much preparation is a little bit more difficult, don't you agree? It's not like Fürth dominated us, we had a few chances but didn't score and the game was moving towards the typical 0-0 when Fürth scored out of the blue with 15 minutes or so to go.

Di Santo sounds like a nice offer! Have you replaced Goretzka and Meyer yet? How about we trade you Sebastian Rode, you could use some defensive midfielders! :laugh: If not, Alcacer from Barca sounds like a nice option...

Reus is the best German player, of course it hurts if someone like that gets injured, however depending on where Favre wants him to play, we have players to replace him. Sancho, Philipp, Götze, Kagawa. Losing Witsel would hurt us much, much more, as funny as that sounds.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

I got invíted to play the official bundesliga fantasy game today. I didn't know this thing even existed, and I have to admit that my bundesliga knowledge is very ( too ) limited... Obviously I know most of the big names and I haven't filled in my team yet, but I already know that it'll be a struggle finding the more affordable players that would also have some potential to score good points.

Not sure if you guys play this game but if you find some good picks that don't cost too much, do share 😃

Points scoring is very different from the Premier league fantasy. Also 3 transfers between gameweeks is very different from the Premier league game... We will see how all of this affects the game.

https://fantasy.bundesliga.com

Well that was difficult, but managed make my team for week 1. Had to take a lot of players from the lower ranked teams that I'm not even sure will be on the opening 11, but hopefully not too many of these will sit on the bench.

buyndesfantasy.thumb.png.94c29fdaa872b0f5589076b9da822617.png

Roman Bürki, Benjamin Pavard, Gonzalo Castro and Timo Werner are on the bench waiting to jump in on sunday.

Horrible? :Wonder:

• Like 1

@WuDu wrote:

Schweinfurt is playing in Regionalliga Bayern! That's the split 4th tier of German football! Those guys are semi-pros. Of course, playing Fürth (bascially THE 2. Bundesliga team) on National TV and without much preparation is a little bit more difficult, don't you agree? It's not like Fürth dominated us, we had a few chances but didn't score and the game was moving towards the typical 0-0 when Fürth scored out of the blue with 15 minutes or so to go.

Di Santo sounds like a nice offer! Have you replaced Goretzka and Meyer yet? How about we trade you Sebastian Rode, you could use some defensive midfielders! :laugh: If not, Alcacer from Barca sounds like a nice option...

Reus is the best German player, of course it hurts if someone like that gets injured, however depending on where Favre wants him to play, we have players to replace him. Sancho, Philipp, Götze, Kagawa. Losing Witsel would hurt us much, much more, as funny as that sounds.

Of course Fürth is the better team :)

I personally don't want Rudy to join, if the transfer fee is a crazy €20mil, or even €15mil. I'm happy with Bentaleb, Mascarell and McKennie for the CDM/CM, and there's also Serdar in case of multiple injuries. I think this will be the season for McKennie.

@Purps, just watched the press conference, and Mascarell won't play, so certainly swap him - get McKennie, if you want a CM from Schalke :) I might check out the fantasy site later and give some more feedback :)

• Like 1

@testuser1 wrote:

@Purps, just watched the press conference, and Mascarell won't play, so certainly swap him - get McKennie, if you want a CM from Schalke :) I might check out the fantasy site later and give some more feedback :)

@testuser1 Oh nice, thanks for that ... McKennie is actually the cheapest Schalke midfielder at €7 million prize. There are 8 midfielders in Schalke that cost more than him :Wow:

Mascarell cost €10 million, so now I have extra 3 million to replace someone else too ( hopefully to someone better ) :Ok:

• Like 1

giphy

One hour and 45 minutes till there's finally Bundesliga again!!

Despite struggling with a few injuries, I see value in Hoffenheim tonight. The opening odds at Unibet was 10, and you can currently get odds 17 at another bookmaker. Unibet with 15 at the moment (highest so far) and it's not unlikely we'll see 16-17 at Unibet before kickoff. If you only use Unibet, wait a bit and see if the odds doesn't increase in the next couple of hours :)

• Like 2

As already mentioned, I've placed the below two season bets:

• Uth to be top goalscorer for Schalke - odds 7
  • Schalke to finish in top 3 - odds 6 (now 5)

Above are the ones I see good value in. Below a few more season bets, some of which are just the usual ones I've got every year, without considering value or lack thereof :D

• Schalke to win the Bundesliga (this is the year :Rofl:) - odds 61 (41 at Unibet)
  • Schalke better than Dortmund - odds 3.5 (this one I think there's value in)
  • Hoffenheim better than Leipzig - odds 2.75
  • Team to score least goals = Dortmund :Rofl: :Rofl: - odds 501 (yes, I do realize this is pretty much a donation to Unibet, but I couldn't help myself)

I wanted to bet on Schalke to score a crazy share of their goals on set pieces, and I also think there could be value in Schalke to concede the least goals in the league (as Bayern will be such big favorites), but it's not something Unibet want to offer.

• Like 1

Bundesliga-VAR at it again!

https://twitter.com/TheWeiglRole/status/1033086714108096515

Funny thing is, VAR let this horrific foul stand. Lewandowski then missed the penalty and Robben scored. However Robben entered the box too early, so VAR had the penalty repeated! :Haha:

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

I give it till next weekend, then I'm a fan of VAR again :D I just don't get the red card today. Nastasic goes for the ball and gets it. Yes, he does come with the sole first, and it is a yellow card, but I really don't see how it's red. It's obvious he goes for the ball, and he couldn't really have done it any other way. If the ref then decides to give a red for that, Wolfsburg should get two. Might just be me who's too much of a fan to be neutral, but check out the situations with Brooks and Brekalo, as well as the one with Nastasic.
  • Like 1

@WuDu wrote:

As you know: "The cup has its own rules!" 🤣 Let's talk again after we played Red Bull this Sunday.

I'm actually looking forward to this year, Witsel is a beast and Delaney seems like a good guy to have on your team! We need a striker though, as I have not seen that much offensive firepower in the pre-season. And I really, really hope Favre is not planning on Schmelzer to start as our left back on a regular basis!

hejabvb.PNG.f1e46d01aef8b469afd1a944fecf1e80.PNG

giphy

• Like 1

Alcacer from Barca to the BVB for 2 M on loan and 4 M salary. We also have an option to buy him. I like that deal! Not much risk involved. Definitely better than spending 16 M on Rudy. :speechless:

@WuDu wrote:

Alcacer from Barca to the BVB for 2 M on loan and 4 M salary. We also have an option to buy him. I like that deal! Not much risk involved. Definitely better than spending 16 M on Rudy. :speechless:

Do feel 16m is quite a lot for Rudy, but don't think the Alcacer deal is better at all - € 25mil buy clause is waaay to much. You're of course right it's not very risky, but € 6.2 mil for a one year loan is quite significant, especially given how late he's joining the team, he doesn't speak the language etc. I don't think the Rudy deal is risky either - he's been pretty consistent and solid, and worst case he'll be sold next summer for a few mil less.

• Like 1

@WuDuI will support Dortmund this year because i am a fan of Standard de Liège and Witsel grew up with us. He comes from our youth and made us champion in the past. He said he will play again for Standard some day and it is my favourite player all time. Actually we had some very good players some years ago (for the Belgian competition i mean) Standard had Witsel, Defour, Fellaini, Mangala, Dante, Batshuayi,...
So Go Witsel and Go Dortmund!

• Like 1

@testuser1 wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

Do feel 16m is quite a lot for Rudy, but don't think the Alcacer deal is better at all - € 25mil buy clause is waaay to much. You're of course right it's not very risky, but € 6.2 mil for a one year loan is quite significant, especially given how late he's joining the team, he doesn't speak the language etc. I don't think the Rudy deal is risky either - he's been pretty consistent and solid, and worst case he'll be sold next summer for a few mil less.

25 M for a 25 year old forward from Valencia/Barca is too much? I think the option for Batshuayi is at 50 M. Plea went to Gladbach from Nizza for 23 M. A guy like Kluivert cost 17 M this summer.

There is no risk for us, if he flops, he did cost us 6 M for one year. I guess we paid more in salary to Schürlle and Alcacer cannot be any worse than him!

If he performs well, we get a great striker for just 25 M Euro. That's ultra cheap in today's market if you have to go for quality. With the likes of Burgstaller and Uth you're not making moves in the UCL.

Problem is if he gets injured and finishes the season with something like 7 goals and a few good games towards the end of the season. But then we have 1 year to evaluate the market.

@PokerC99

I was not sure about the Witsel transfer at first, but I really like what I've seen of him so far, exactly what we needed and one of the best transfers in the last few years!

You mention Burgstaller and Uth yourself. They were signed for €1.5 mil in total - less than the loan fee of Alcacer.

Alcacer does not have a great goal scoring record, despite playing for a team which scores significantly more goals than Schalke and Hoffenheim. At Barca he used about 170 minutes per goal, which is significantly worse than Uth at Hoffenheim and slightly better than Burgstaller at Schalke.

Don't underestimate Uth. He's played well so far, and he did score 14 goals and made 8 assists in just 24 Bundesliga games last year (second best in the league) :) I'll never say Burgstaller is a football god, but he's been ten times more worth than the transfer fee paid, and his mentality and fighter spirit is amazing.

I'm not saying Alcacer doesn't have potential, but I think you're way too excited about this deal.

Witsel I agree about. He does have the potential to be one of the best signings in the Bundesliga this year.

In 2014/15 Franco Di Santo scored 13 goals in 26 games and S04 paid 6 M Euro for him. How did that work out? Oh yeah, 12 goals in 83 games for you guys...

I'm not saying Uth will follow in Di Santo's footsteps, however 14 goals is nothing special. I think, for a team like S04, Uth is a good pick-up, however the BVB has different goals than S04. We needed a #1 striker for a team that wants to compete for the title and hopes to reach the QFs in the UCL. Strikers like that cost money. I'm also not really exited about Alcacer the player, because I don't even know him, I'm more exited about Alcacer the transfer. We can now look and see with no risk if he's a guy that helps us win games. If Favre, Zorc and Sammer are wrong about him, OK then we lost 6 M in total, no big deal.Like I said before, we sunk enormous amounts of :cash: into transfer fees and salaries for Rode, Götze and Schürlle in 2016. 6 M Euro is nothing in this scenario. Definitely better than paying 50 M for Bats, who might not fit the system, or 20 M for a fancy lottery ticket from South America that might not like the weather here...

Besides, don't forget the signing bonus you paid to Uth. I doubt he moved to Gelsenkirchen because of the air quality and the nice beaches...:laugh:

- Di Santo definitely hasn't been the best transfer, but he's also miles from being the worst. Despite a lack of goals in the Bundesliga, he didn't play that bad last year.

- Di Santo really only had that one good season. Uth has showed he can score goals in both the Netherlands and the Bundesliga for several years now. Last season does stand out though, a bit like DI Santos at Werner. Still don't think the two can be compared.

- You're definitely right that this does look like a fine deal compared to the past seasons at Dortmund. Certainly a candidate for an award for worst transfers :D

- I think Uth will score more goals this season than Alcacer. I'll definitely stake odds 1.95 on a H2H :D

- Gelsenkirchen has some beautiful nature ;)

Choupo-Moting to PSG. :scared:The final piece of the puzzle...Man, I'm happy that Tuchel is not involved in our transfers anymore. I still have to laugh at the fact that he was pushing for us to sign Bellarabi for 30+ M in 2016...

jll7h0ts_j0nh5u_q241z2 

@testuser1 wrote:

Schalke is significantly stronger than last season. Period :)

Schalke's strongest period was at the second half of the season, when Goretzka wasn't himself and Meyer went AWOL. McKennie and Bentaleb did really well when playing next to Goretzka. Again, Goretzka is an amazing player, and he can become one of the best in the world on his position, but last season he did not make a difference - he wasn't himself after the move to Bayern was official. Bentaleb, Mascarell/McKennie (and Serdar and Geis) are capable of replacing Meyer and Goretzka, especially considering how the two played last season. Add to that the signing of Sané (please don't compare him to :Heart::Hearts::Heart: Santana, when the performance and stats of the two are like night and day :)), Uth and Skrzybski.
Kehrer and Di Santo were the weakest links last season, and I think Sané and Uth will be starting instead of the two. Especially Uth replacing Di Santo is a huge improvement - Di Santo has the right attitude and fighter spirit, but apart from that, he honestly doesn't have a lot going for him :D

Isn't Geis playing in Regionalliga West right now??? :Scared: This will be a very long season for you guys, just like I predicted...

• Like 1