Has the unibet house edge taken a turn for the worse (football)?

TDW

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that this football season, the house edge of Unibet has increased drastically on several bets (for the worse!).

A couple of examples below:

• "50%" bets on odd/even number of corners used to be centered around 1.92, 1.93, or 1.94 (house edge of 3%-4%, and more when shifting away from the center). This season, all these bets are centered around 1.90 (house edge of 5%, and more when shifting away from the center).
  •  An identical conclusion can be drawn when looking at the odd/ever number of goals in a match.
  • The odds for people to (not) score are straight up terrible at this moment. I dont have exact data from previous seasons but right now, the odds are often kind of ridiculous. A couple of examples below:
    • Standard Luik - Kortrijk
      • Emond to score 1.92, to not score 1.76 -> house edge of 8.17%
      • Lestienne to score 2.63, to not score 1.42 -> house edge of 7.79%
    • Celta Vigo - Valencia
      • Aspas to score 3.00, to not score 1.33 -> house edge of 7.85%
      • Fernandez to score 3.85, to not score 1.21 -> house edge of 7.93%
      • Rodrigo to score 3.40, to not score 1.26 -> house edge of 8.07%
    • Parma - Juventus
      • Ronaldo to score 1.74, to not score 1.95 -> house edge of 8.05%

These goalscoarer odds used to be like this in very small leagues etc, where i can see Unibets reasoning due to lack of proper data, matchfixing etc., but my examples above are literally all the biggest competitions of Europe... i mean cmon guys...

Any insight in what has happened here @RayL, i used to bet a lot on these markets, but right now, it just makes no sense anymore to even try...

I think unibet spends a bit to much on marketing nowadays (30s advertisements on tv all evening... :Happyshy:)

PS.: a tool to calculate the house edge of bets with 2 possible outcomes can be found here: https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/straight-bet-calculator/

• Like 3

There's not much to say @TDW, the house edge is one aspect that every operator reserves the right to play around with depending on numerous factors. I've had it double checked and although it fluctuated it is well within an overall competitive market range. Not sure what more can be said regarding this.
Former Community Moderator

@TDW, the goalscorer odds is why I started playing on Unibet back in the day; the house edge was consistently significantly lower than on all other sites I used. The edge on goalscorer bets will always be pretty high, and I don't think the above examples are unreasonable at all.

I don't have any data on all of this (got some of my old data on Bundesliga goalscorer bets where I had a ROI of well over 20 % - sample size only 120 bets), but the odds level still seems reasonable, compared to the competitors - lower than what it used to be though.

Above is just my personal opinion and not an official response :)

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions