Betting in general

GR1ZZL3R

Looking at the increase in betting threads lately, all of which I follow with interest, I got to thinking about trying to make general betting topics easier to follow in one complete thread, so here goes.

There are many sports being backed, football, hockey, basketball, tennis, horseracing, each with their own problems so the first question I'm putting is: 

Do you follow a staking plan?

That is, do you flat bet each selection or increase or decrease stakes according to price, do you have a br in place for daily, weekly or longer runs, do you increase stakes after winning or losing, do you have a plan at all or just bet when the urge takes over or you see a particularly attractive opportunity?

There are many of you out there, @pittpitt @Purps @BillyR23 @Marekss @AndreiBN, and others too many to mention, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and many other topics. :Smile:

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

To answer you in short ( or bit long ) , will keep it plain and simple :

1. The vast majority of my bets on tennis are single bets. Every now and then i like to place a long betslip , with many selection , just to follow on that JackPot dream. But it's mostly for fun and it happens so rare ( or never ). A couple of years ago had a 22 selections on a bet slip , with stake at €0.50 and won around €10.000. This is , also by today , my biggest win in terms of odds.

2. But i think that if you wanna make profit from betting you must stick with single or double bets only. And of course, like i always say , you need to really have a passion for the sport you are betting on. If you don't things will just not work out for you. I like to feel at least confident when placing my money on sports , so this is the reason why 99% of my bets are on tennis. Have a history of at least 10 years watching on a daily basis tennis matches.

3. For sure you need to have a bank roll strategy in mind and try to follow it as much as possible. You have to set some daily , weekly or monthly goal and go for them. But not to dream with your eyes open. You need to be able to keep it real and see how really good you are ( not how really good you think you might be ).

4. I always increase my bet stakes after i have a good session , but very important is to set up a limit ( even in your head ) about how much profit you wanna make in a day , at to keep in mind that you kinda have to keep a low profile if you wanna have your account going for years, and not to bet win-win big in a very short amount of time , with very low odds , where you just end up getting your account closed. Many people have no idea of how to keep their profit in control and there are so many tricks in order to avoid getting a red flag on your account :P

"When things are bad, it's the best time to reinvent yourself"

@AndreiBN wrote:

To answer you in short ( or bit long ) , will keep it plain and simple :

4. I always increase my bet stakes after i have a good session , but very important is to set up a limit ( even in your head ) about how much profit you wanna make in a day , at to keep in mind that you kinda have to keep a low profile if you wanna have your account going for years, and not to bet win-win big in a very short amount of time , with very low odds , where you just end up getting your account closed. Many people have no idea of how to keep their profit in control and there are so many tricks in order to avoid getting a red flag on your account :P

What do you mean? If i start to win millions i will get my account blocked? What? Why? :teardrop:

Thanks @AndreiBN wise words indeed.

I'm the long term kind of better, sticking to singles mainly, each bet made on it's own merit, but in horseracing there are much larger variances in price so I tend to vary my stakes accordingly. I am bankrolled for the long term so am not too worried by a losing streak ( like my current one ) knowing (hoping) that things will turn around if I stick at it. I'm still dreaming of that big win ( very nice one of yours) so I might do the odd acca, but realistically am going for the short steady long haul profits. Cheers and run good.

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

My personal opinion is - all up to you, how you see yourself to successfully run in long term and i can share my personal experiences! 

I started betting when I was 20, time is fly and I am 36! In this 16 years time I had big wins and big losses ( quite big) 

my bets are single 75% basketball and 20% tennis rest 5% silly fun bets or some competition, where I know winning is mostly 1% because I don't got a clue - example horses racing or esport! 

Basketball, now is going NBA, I have 2k budget on all season ( what i can afford lose and I do then is STOP and investigate why I come like that) I have weekly goals and monthly to help achieve season main goal! Why NBA, because they are mostly at nights! I got my daily job and kids, free time basketball! 

Started with Live bets, it's was easier to earn quickly and make it good profit! Last two years I go by pre games, one reason - I need a sleep too

I am agree with @AndreiBN you need Love sport then follow as much you can! 

If you're interested, I can explain more about my betting system! Probably everyone do differently! 

Stakes are growing up when I double up my starting budget, if I start losing then reducing bet amount 25% 

( example; NBA - I am now on £ 2350 when I will be 5k my bet will be £20, if I start loosing then when will be 2k it's goes back £10, when will be 7k will go £50, till I get 10k! When I get there 8k going to my bank account and leave 2k to start again) 

i hope you get me and good luck for outstanding run :) 

@GR1ZZL3R

@AndreiBN wrote pretty much all there is about your questions, so I will just write about my experience:

I preferred a flat stake but this stake would change if my bankroll reach certain limits, my strategy was always a bit more aggressive because I had a low number of bets per day/ month and with single bets and low starting bankroll it's tough to reach high goals by playing it too safe... also, my bets were placed only on events I knew/ watched them before(like Andrei said you need to have passion for a sport and watch it regularly) or tips from people I had confidence did the same as I did.

There are also a few parameters that impacts your variance:

1. odds- the higher the odds you pick, the more swings you will see in your bankroll

2. time until the event starts- if you place your bet too soon and some important information may occur that could swing the bet out of your favour- or the other way around and your bet gets stronger => this will increase your variance for sure

3. bet with a calculated 'edge'(value betting)- you should always try to put the 'edge' or expected value in your favour

4. stack size- bettors usually use a flat stake and/ or a proportional stake...

PS. I prefer the flat stake sizing because it's easy to use but a size too big will increase the chance on going broke, while a size too low will not yield big enough profits... and here my aggressive bankroll strategy:

251147851_bettingstrategy.jpg.a182bcdbd5ec7f0311bce557f9e7a450.jpg

GL all with your bets :cash:

You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind...

Thanks @AndreiBN @BillyR23 @Marekss you've all confirmed my belief in slow and steady, step up when the time is right. I'll keep plodding along till I hit that biggie (or run out of money, which I definitely will not). I'm doing a small staking plan right now so we'll see how it goes. Run good. 👍

well , all the peeps that is still around...said it all , you go single double or eventually it get swingy and you bust lol...that's a true fact!

I tried all sort of betting pattern and it fell down at the double /treble mark ! double or bust !

personally, since i got sick to death , it must have a profound effect of the way i see things long term...so you must take that in consideration when you see my chips flying all over the place lol !

steady baby step...so you have times to really incorporate all the aspect of the game into your betting ability's

Archived