Poker server issues. For now, we're back to normal, but issue is being monitored and complete fix is yet to be implemented. ×

England - Wales Match Thread

Keyser

The England XI is released:

Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose, Alli, Dier, Rooney, Sterling, Kane, Lallana.

What do you guys think of Roy's choices? If I'm not mistaken, it's the exactly same starting line-up as he chose against Russia, and I got to admit I had a few issues with the way Roy handled the 2nd half there.

Edit: Wales also released their line-up: Hennessey, Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams, Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.

Ledley broke his leg 40 days ago, and is back in the starting line-up today after being a sub against Slovakia.

(Jeppe, Stubbe or one of the other will likely drop by and edit a better opening post, but the line-up had me interested in hearing your thoughts on it)

This will be a great show. Wales already has three points that today can secure promotion and England must today fight for the three points, because a draw or a defeat rather farewell to the championship.

I expect a fierce fight

@Lucky wrote:

.... because a draw or a defeat rather farewell to the championship.

Well, it's really not that bad. With draws from their first two matches, they would still be in a great position to go through, but of course winning the group and secure an easier road would be difficult. Even losing, England still can reach four points by beating Slovakia in their last match, so that's probably going to be enough to go through as one of the four best 3rd placed teams as well..

But, yeah; England won't like it if they lose to Wales. These teams have met four times in qual-groups since the new milennium started, and England have won every other match 2-0 and 1-0 of those. I guess we're due another 2-0 if they keep up that particular string.

@xizted wrote:

I would let vardy start and show what he can do, but roy knows best.

Yeah, but like @Git says; does he, thou? Personally, I think FA are notorious for making bad manager-decicions for the national team, and Roy is the kind of manager that are going down the same old rabbit-hole all the time. I couldn't believe the way they came out for the second half against Russia; rather than pushing on, as they had Russia hanging in the ropes at the end of the first, they came out a lot more careful and defensive. And when it was obvious Sterling had spent his early spring in the step, he still got to stay on for 80 minutes or so.

I still think England was a bit unlucky in that match. Besides the one time when Rooney forced Akinfeev to make that great save, all the other big England-chances fall into the hands of the likes of Sterling and especially Lallana--when England would want some of those to drop in for Kane, Rooney or Alli. Some of those could easily have swung the other way--I felt--and I'm sure a few of the better goal scorers would have buried those kind of chances if they got them.

you're right that England has yet to gain 3 points in the match with Slovakia. However, Slovakia is also a good team. how England will not win the three points today, their morale will fall and match with Slovakia can make their plunge

Love the topic , thanks for making it!

Ladies and gentleman, we'd like to offer a small competition for this match, guess how many goals Gareth Bale scores and we'll credit your account with an odds boost on a bet of up to €10 for todays late matches! You can guess up until the end of the half time break or the first goal being scored, whichever comes first.

Best of luck to all :)

Former Community Manager

Archived