CashGame rule/mechanic Issue

Guldet

There is an issue at cashgames and banzai currently, where if the BB (to be smallblind) leaves or gets stacked and does not reload, a single bigblind will be posted by the to be bigblind player without any smallblind being posted. This makes it theoretically impossible for the BB to win, there simply is'nt any other money on the table. An alternate mechanic to handle these situations would be appreciated. For now, I will sit out every time this situation is about to occur.

Umm, isn't that how it's supposed to work? Who is supposed to post the SB in your opinion?

After the player that should have been SB leaves the player in the button already posted a SB the previous hand so he can't do it again. The other option would be the guy in the BB getting skipped for the BB but that isn't fair either. 

@Guldet that's poker... It's been like this forever. 

If the player who should be SB leaves, then there is no SB. Making someone else SB would be unfair. 

Tell me if you know a site where they do otherwise (read: wrong) 

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Making the BB skip is how other sites handle this situation in my experience and I think it is more fair. That solution is not exploitable whereas on unibet the to be BB player can press "sit out" and allow the next player in line to receive the "punishment" of posting the single BB.

@Guldet wrote:

a single bigblind will be posted by the to be bigblind player without any smallblind being posted. This makes it theoretically impossible for the BB to win, there simply is'nt any other money on the table.

When there is no SB, there is less dead money in the pot, so there is less incentive for other players to try and steal the BB. This means that the BB is slightly more likely to get a walk. A walk is a pretty significant win, since it's a profit of 1bb in comparison to folding. You obviously can't avoid paying the forced BB completely, but getting it back without a fight is pretty sweet.

I'm also confused, that's how this is handled. I can't recall a site where people don't have to post a Big Blind because the small blind is no longer there.

That being said, it's always impossible for the BB to win, so the fact that the SB is missing is actually worse for the other players at the table since there is less dead money, so less reward for stealing the pot.

@Guldet There is no good poker site that does that :p

If you sit out the bb, you will have to wait an entire round before playing again. 

There are always SB and BB in the pot, except for when the player who would have been SB is gone... Shifting it one further would give the guy who should have been BB an extra SB advantage. How it's handled now, nobody gets advantage. (Except for indeed, that other players are less willing to steal...)

So now we have player ABCD. A was just SB, B was BB and will be SB now, and C will become BB.
Situation 1: If C sits out, then D will become BB (logically) and B is still SB. C will have to wait untill the BB is back to him before he can start playing.

Situation 2: If B sits out, C will become BB as supposed to and nobody is SB. B will have to wait untill he is BB again to play. 

What do you think should change here??? Because now every player has to play 3 SB to play a full round in fact. If you didn't pay these, then you will be punished with sitting out an entire round. 

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying it is profitable to leave when you are to become the SB (obv), it is just a situation that occurs quite often in the banzai format where someone takes a shot and buys in for 10bb and when they bust in the BB they wont have the money to rebuy.

The thing is that a single posted blind does not allow for a good game in my opinion, that said I've come to realize the alternatives are not great either as passing the BB along would hurt all of the players behind (not giving them their entitled hands from posting their previous blinds in a X-max format).

In response to "If you sit out the bb, you will have to wait an entire round before playing again.1 "

Yes, you do have to wait a round but it is +ev to do so. This way you can get a smallblind posted when it is your turn to post the BB and there is more dead money in the pot.

The argument about it being fair because it becomes more likely to get a walk is bull❤️♥️❤️. More dead money (the SB) not posted by you will grant you more profit (or less losses) in the long run, that is simple logic. I promise you that the bigblind loses less if the SB is posted over a significant sample.

Archived