Snooker

Rushbie

Such a shame that Judd didn't get the century on the 7th frame but instead snookered himself on the green while that would have been enough for it 😩

Other than that he can be really happy to be only 2 frames down after the opening session. Ronnie however looked great with 2 centuries already, apart from whatever happened on the last frame. Must've been some foul language or something but anyhow good time to get the break there and forget about it, hopefully.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

@GotKot99 any thoughts yourself? 🤔

Sorry @GR1ZZL3R for the late response. Been all kinda stuff going on…

Well obviously it is going in Ronnie’s way now. But I would have favored Ronnie over Judd at the beginning (no bets now cos bankroll doesn’t afford). Both are of course excellent players, but well Ronnie is Ronnie. Always been my favorite (personal bias)!

• Like 1

"They think it's all over."

It is, more or less. Ronnie kept up his consistency throughout this championship, around 94% pot success, and Judd, always behind on that stat, couldn't up his game. Too many loose shots from him and his long potting genius seems to have gone missing in action. The only downside is not enough centuries but we can't have everything. It never looked like a classic in the making and only a huge swing in form is ever going to make it closer. Nothing excites me in the betting, very short prices for anything Ronnie connected and only extreme outsider odds for anything Judd. I'll just enjoy the rest of it and see Ronnie elevated (there already really) as the best ever modern day player. 

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
  • Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

"They think it's not all over."

Is there to be an astonishing comeback, Judd now only down 11-14 from 5-12. A big turnaround, exactly what Judd needed with Ronnie beginning to look human. Gripping stuff.

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

28 minutes ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

"They think it's not all over."

Is there to be an astonishing comeback, Judd now only down 11-14 from 5-12. A big turnaround, exactly what Judd needed with Ronnie beginning to look human. Gripping stuff.

Yeah. Quite unexpected comeback from Judd on the 3rd session. Interesting to see if that continues on the final session shortly.

Ronnie really seemed to struggle with the slowness of the table.

Ronnie with 3 centuries now and Judd with 2. At least there's some hope with our bets again, which all seemed destined to fail miserably after yesterdays sessions. 👍

🍿🙂🔴

• Like 2

So, Ronnie made it in a quite emotional finish, the oldest player to win the World Championship, equalling the modern day record of 7 titles and looking as though he can still continue. It wasn't the greatest final by a long way, just a little one sided despite a brief comeback attempt by Judd, but still very entertaining. The World Seniors Championship, which I've never seen before, starts tomorrow so I'll be checking that out a bit. 🧐

I bet they're not as quick as this. 🤣

giphy.gif.13462243b8a244664442039a1561c3fc.gif

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

So we move into quarter finals territory, with 3 World Champions left and two debutants still standing. 

image.png.bea6278d121080e19e400ddd70353277.png   

Screenshot(4252).png.1bb556d50cf4dc1dc6786fd61c765864.png 

I tend to look for value amongst the underdogs but this time I can see all 4 favourites winning. Possibly the best match could be between Ronnie and Luca, but John and Mark could provide a classic. I can't see Si winning but the odds suggest it might be closer than I think and my top tip Mark Allen should be strong enough to beat Jak. I think it's more open than any recently and it's hard to definitely discount more than two of them. 

season 4 banshee GIF by Cinemax

• Like 1

Luka out of it already after the first session, unfortunately, but not that surprisingly really. Jak keeps on overperforming, although I haven't looked at the stats at all yet so don't know what's really been happening on that table.

McGill will probably grind a win, but rather unknown Jiahui could pull a surprise. John and Mark...well...could go either way but I certainly expect a looooong match with two figure won frames amount for both players there.

Haven't done any betting so far at the championships this time, but placed a fun bet because of a promo, and at least the opening session looks pretty much perfect. Bets always go horribly wrong when posted here, but this time I'm just hoping to have some excitement left all the way until tomorrow evening... 👍

image.jpeg.6d8eded80186e92bf0057428c3d31b2c.jpeg

• Like 1

Last year I correctly predicted all 4 quarter finals, both semi-finals and the final match results but not having posted them here I feel they don't count. 😢 This year I'm undecided and judging by the 7th frame of Ronnie v Luca I have good reason to be. Luca missed an absolute "gimmee" blue into the middle, Ronnie totally fluked the last red when playing safe to leave Luca needing snookers, Luca just smashed at the yellow as if he'd given up, (is he already beaten mentally? I'd be surprised if he was) then got a snooker, Ronnie then fouled a black with his sleeve or waistcoat, virtually unprecedented, and finally Luca played a poor positional shot when looking the winner.    My impression is that there seems to be fewer frames won in one visit, adding to the uncertainty but also the drama and entertainment. 

Dog Playing GIF

Great play from Bark Selby. 🤣

• Like 1

Ronnie looks to be home and hosed against Luca when in reality he's not playing all that well and at times Luca looks like the world beater. Unfortunately another unthinking lash out when snookered shows that there's something missing in the mental game for Luca, doing something that Ronnie gave up years ago and something that Mark Selby has probably never done in his life, the difference between World Champions and wannabees.

All the other games are nicely balanced and it could ell be a late night finish tonight, plenty of twists and turns to come I feel. No walking programme for me, a long day in front of the snooker only interrupted by the small matter of a Premier League match.

English Bulldog Media GIF by AFV Pets 

Ali Barker.

• Like 1

A steady morning session saw Mark Allen come through against a very tenacious Jak Jones, who appeared to run out of steam at the very end but has shown he may be a force to reckon with in the future. 

23 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

Ronnie looks to be home and hosed against Luca when in reality he's not playing all that well and at times Luca looks like the world beater. 

A remarkable session of snooker in the afternoon when Luca confirmed he can indeed look like a world beater. Ronnie continued making mistakes but this time Luca swept up everything with an almost unprecedented degree of skill and accuracy, winning 7 frames on the trot, playing as if every shot was of no importance and with the freedom to attempt almost anything. Breathtaking!

I didn't watch much of the evening session, being preoccupied by a minor Premier League match, but apparently Mark Selby continued in the manner we've grown accustomed to, a lot more emphatic victory over John Higgins that many expected. The final four was made up by debutante Si Jiahui, the first to reach this stage since 1995 and the youngest player since 1996 (Ronnie). This one went all the way Si winning 13-12 and keeping a remarkable composure under pressure for one so young.

That leaves an interesting situation now with the two experienced "old boys" Mark and Mark facing each other and the two "young guns" Luca and Si battling it out. My favourite player left is Mark Selby, a similar type of player to how I used to be, (but slightly better) give them nothing and chip away, but are we about to see a resurgence of the younger generation after seeing a few older heads winning recently. Still one former World Champion left, but 3 "newbies" left.

giphy.gif.f4c3253ebaa7423e7533ccce4f141613.gif

OK.

giphy.gif.ef8c521bd9dcac27be46ef8f913a436e.gif

It could be Mark and Luca... or Mark and Si... or Luca and Mark... or Si and Mark.

Allen and Brecel. 

• Like 1

Two polar opposite semi finals saw two polar opposite types of players reach this years World Championship final. Luca Brecel pulled off the first ever comeback from 9 frames behind with his toe to toe battle against the young Si Jiahui with a superb display of attacking snooker, winning 11 frames in a row from 14-5 down and ultimately scraping through 17-15, following a 7 frame streak in the quarter final against Ronnie O'Sullivan. Meanwhile the "Iron Man" Mark Selby played his own brand of rather less risky more calculating brand of snooker to eventually overcome another tough opponent in Mark Allen. Momentum kept shifting in this one but Selby's brand of opponent denying methods proved too much for the tenacious Allen.

And so to a two day final between two very different players. Selby is the ultimate seen everything done everything not the most naturally gifted but hard as nails grafter who can tie an opponent up for what seems like forever, versus the younger, hugely talented Brecel, who claims to have had virtually no practice before this championship. 

One semi was a slugfest, one a grindfest, both watchable for different reasons, and the fact the final is contested by two players of hugely contrasting styles could make this years extraordinary championship even more watchable. The bookies have Selby a clear favourite, I'm just on his side but it won't surprise me whoever wins, I'm just looking forward to enjoying it.

giphy.gif.75b18d4cb1b656fc8a408b98d607bb55.gif

• Like 1

It was indeed a very good final providing both great open break building and some excellent safety play, even including the first 147 in a final. Ultimately the "young gun" triumphed over the "old boy," not the newcomer I expected to win but a fantastic performance. I suppose you could say Lucca is the epitome of "it's never over," winning 7 in a row against Ronnie and 11 in a row against Si to turn around seemingly unpromising situations. Mark Selby produced his own mini fightback to get within 1 frame from 16-10 down but in the end it was just too far even for him.  Great Snooker. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Currently the UK Championship on just up the road from me.

Watched Mark Selby last night in a great tussle with his mate Barry, Mark eventually winning a nail biting decider. This afternoon Ronnie came through after looking decidedly shaky in another nail biter against Robert Milkins, and a few former champions already through to what looks like some great quarter final action coming up.

But... there's a worrying trend taking place. Much as I've admired watching Jimmy "Whirlwind" White over the years he has tended to sport some ever increasingly bizarre "syrups," it looks like the latest incarnation is receding even faster than his natural hairline or even his big breaks. Come on Jimmy, bite the bullet at last and go "au naturele." It'll be cheaper in the long run.

image.thumb.png.af97abd73e3d4d44b1c59bb28e2dff75.png

Jimmy has just received his latest hairdressing bill.

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
  • Haha 1

Been watching my second favourite tourney the last day and a half, the 1 frame shoot out. Sean Murphy has just made the first ever max break in the tourney, a superb seven and a half minutes of brilliant skill.👍

• Like 1