The chase for Unibet Openhagen

vongrundal

The ↓ topic

I hereby invite every community member to share highways, toll roads and detours to Unibet Open Copenhagen 25-28 May 2017.

I will be posting regularly until I qualify or reach my limit.

About me

I play recreational poker with the dream of knocking out Mateusz Moolhuizen with quad queens (as he did with me at Unibet Open Antwerpen 2015 when he won the ME). I’m 28 years old and partly based in Odense, Copenhagen and Madrid.

About Unibet Open London 2017

I won a Community package because Stubbe-Unibet got drunk and deleted the betting data in Bucharest. In London I played the satellite to ME and busted 13/120 - one seat before qualification. Further I played €165 Turbo KO, Community Side Event and €120 Deepstack Turbo with only one KO £75 as overall result.

But one thing is the prices, another thing is the surroundings that the event offers; the Community meet-up, the parties, the poker parties, the poker in the hotel lobby, the poker chats, the poker hoodies, the cheerful new poker buddies, the community poker betting, and poker, poker, poker. Do I need to explain further why I want to go again?

To the guys who attended: I was the happy guy with long hair and a silk shirt - I often talked bullheart with a Guiness in my hand. 

About my limit

When I drink I don’t have a lot of limits. When I play poker I do. That's why I like to combine - I get a weird struggle with myself.

For the UO online qualifiers I’ve put a limit on €150 euros. If I don’t succeed online I will buy in at a satellite in Copenhagen to play the ME. That means a total limit of approximately €275 for qualifying to the ME.

#1 week stats

I start at UO €2 to be in for the min to win the max. I reached the €250 Sunday Final yesterday, and had a good start but finished 20/60 - 6 tickets only.

Here is the stats of my spendings and cashings in UO qualifiers from February 2.-6.:

Total amount spent: €22

Played:

UO €2*: 11

UO €10: 6

UO €50: 2

UO €250: 1

Tickets in my pocket:

UO €10

UO €50

*(UO €1 with 2 buy-ins = UO €2, UK Tour qualifiers not included)

#2 week predictions

I will play:

15-20 x UO €2

8-12 x UO €10

3-6 x UO 50 

1-2 x UO €250

See you at the tables :Peace:

Good luck man :D It will be a long road ;) And maybe you should try and split up the lower tickets a bit more often :D

Btw. It was nice meeting you in London, but for Copenhagen I met a broken road already :p, so I won't be posting much here for myself :) Except if I start grinding for september already :)

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

And maybe you should try and split up the lower tickets a bit more often :D

Thanks @VikingsAF! I just did :) I always thought it was more tough to play without exchanging tickets but have to admit that it gives more chances for the same money doing it :)

Btw. It was nice meeting you in London

Nice to meet you too, pal! See you at a future event! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I promised to post here regularly - so here we are.

I didn’t play many UO qualifiers the last couple of weeks and when I played, I either made early mistakes or bubbled in awful ways. @gommen keeps calling me “bubble boy”.

I followed @VikingsAFs advice and exchanged tickets a couple of times: UO €50 ticket to five UO €10 tickets. That’s why I only played 4 x UO €50. It gave me more opportunities to win tickets but I still ran bad. I didn’t play any final.

Here is the stats - I might have missed some because I’ve mostly played on my phone lately.

Total buy-ins*:

€46 (this stat period: €24)

Played**:

UO €2: 18

UO €4: 2

UO €10: 42

UO €25: 2

UO €50: 4

UO €250: 0

Tickets in my pocket:

UO €50: 1

I don’t count tickets achieved from bonus shop as a buy-in.

* * Winning the same ticket as played is not displayed but registered as a new try. It is the overall played qualifiers that is interesting - to see how many times I need to play to qualify for the money I bought in for. Then the ROI can be calculated in money and package - not in online tickets value. The ROIT (return of invested time) will not be calculated.

As you can see, I played 42 x UO €10 qualifiers. I won 8 x UO €50 tickets all in all so I have a 19 % winning rate in UO €10. The rate is close to the pay-out rate but in spite of that the result is not good enough. In tourneys like this, my rate should be around 30 % (yes, I know I sound a bit confident). In UO €50 I pray for a 20 % winning rate (which means I should win next time, hahaha) and 50 % in UO €250 (because it would be nice).

You’re welcome to throw in your own paths to Unibet Open Copenhagen or even give inputs and thoughts about how to play the qualifiers. There is no rules in this thread (apart from the Community guidelines).

@vongrundal wrote:

I promised to post here regularly - so here we are.

I didn’t play many UO qualifiers the last couple of weeks and when I played, I either made early mistakes or bubbled in awful ways. @gommen keeps calling me “bubble boy”.

I followed @VikingsAFs advice and exchanged tickets a couple of times: UO €50 ticket to five UO €10 tickets. That’s why I only played 4 x UO €50. It gave me more opportunities to win tickets but I still ran bad. I didn’t play any final.

Here is the stats - I might have missed some because I’ve mostly played on my phone lately.

Total buy-ins*:

€46 (this stat period: €24)

Played**:

UO €2: 18

UO €4: 2

UO €10: 42

UO €25: 2

UO €50: 4

UO €250: 0

Tickets in my pocket:

UO €50: 1

I don’t count tickets achieved from bonus shop as a buy-in.

* * Winning the same ticket as played is not displayed but registered as a new try. It is the overall played qualifiers that is interesting - to see how many times I need to play to qualify for the money I bought in for. Then the ROI can be calculated in money and package - not in online tickets value. The ROIT (return of invested time) will not be calculated.

As you can see, I played 42 x UO €10 qualifiers. I won 8 x UO €50 tickets all in all so I have a 19 % winning rate in UO €10. The rate is close to the pay-out rate but in spite of that the result is not good enough. In tourneys like this, my rate should be around 30 % (yes, I know I sound a bit confident). In UO €50 I pray for a 20 % winning rate (which means I should win next time, hahaha) and 50 % in UO €250 (because it would be nice).

You’re welcome to throw in your own paths to Unibet Open Copenhagen or even give inputs and thoughts about how to play the qualifiers. There is no rules in this thread (apart from the Community guidelines).

42*10 UO = 420 Euro. 8* 50 UO = 400 Euro. Where's the winning rate?

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDu wrote:

I see what you did there. :D Maybe I wasn't clear - English and math is complicated for me :D :D

I don't calculate in € winning rate but my winning percentage because it's qualifying tickets. That means: How many times did I win a ticket out of the times I have tried to win it. "It is the overall played qualifiers that is interesting - to see how many times I need to play to qualify." I've put €46 to win nothing but tickets. Maybe this is not the normal way to calculate rates but makes sense for me here :D

I hope you understand :) Otherwise heeeelp me :D

@vongrundal wrote:

@WuDu wrote:

I see what you did there. :D Maybe I wasn't clear - English and math is complicated for me :D :D

I don't calculate in € winning rate but my winning percentage because it's qualifying tickets. That means: How many times did I win a ticket out of the times I have tried to win it. "It is the overall played qualifiers that is interesting - to see how many times I need to play to qualify." I've put €46 to win nothing but tickets. Maybe this is not the normal way to calculate rates but makes sense for me here :D

I hope you understand :) Otherwise heeeelp me :D

I still don't understand. How many UO10s did you play? Out of these UO10s, how many times did you win a UO50, how many times did you win a UO10 and how many times did you receive a small cash payment? If you add up all those ticket and cash values you received and divide it by your total investment in those UO10s, you receive your ROI.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

hehehe, I'm not interested in ROI. :D  I wrote in the post: "Then the ROI can be calculated in money and package - not in online tickets value." That means: How much did I spent to try to qualify = investment. How much did I receive back = ROI (package or nothing). The meaning: I don't want to calculate ROI for ticket plays :D :D Seems like a waste of time for my purpose :P

I played UO €10   42 times. I won UO €50 tickets 8 times out of these 42 times. That means 19 % of the times I played I won a UO €50 ticket.  "Winning the same ticket as played is not displayed but registered as a new try." (earlier post). Basically, I don't count what I win but what I play :D :D 

Do you have a better way to do it? I would really like to know :)

OK, you win a ticket in 19 % of your games, but in order to break even you need 20 % for those UO2, UO10 and UO50, That means you lost 20 Euro over those 42 games of UO10. Winning a ticket at 30 % of your games equals to an ROI of 50 %, that's doable for UO2 but pretty lofty for UO10.

I simply look at my ticket count since I only play one level at a time. 😏

@WuDu wrote:

OK, you win a ticket in 19 % of your games, but in order to break even you need 20 % for those UO2, UO10 and UO50, That means you lost 20 Euro over those 42 games of UO10. Winning a ticket at 30 % of your games equals to an ROI of 50 %, that's doable for UO2 but pretty lofty for UO10.

I simply look at my ticket count since I only play one level at a time. 😏

Finally a reply from you I understood, haha ;) 

As I wrote in the post, 19 % wasn't good enough - I whined a bit over it. I think 30 % is a good target percentage to put for UO €10, maybe 25 % is more realistic. 50 % for UO €250 might be a bit lofty :D

As I wrote, I don't calculate my ticket games, I simply count how many qualifiers at different levels I play to give an overview on my way to qualify OR reaching my online buy-in limit:€150 euros for Unibet Open Copenhagen. Playing that much without a bigger money loss than this limit I just consider as a fun hobby :) That's also why I like mixing the levels.

Your qualification process sounds really interesting, organized and more pro - could be really nice if you posted some stats here? Maybe it could give some inspiration for me and others? :D 

I don't have stats. I started with a free 4 Euro ticket, reached the 25 Euro ticket and traded down to the 2 Euro level and played there until I had 20 UO10 tickets. Took me probaby 2-3 months. Then I played the UO10s until I had 20 UO50 tickets which took me a little more than 4 months. Now I play the UO50s and currently I'm sitting at 21 tickets. So the next step is to establish myself at the UO50 level and then see if I should play the UO250s during the summer.

Well, I'm playing the UO50s for not even 2 weeks, winning a UO250 ticket only once, so there's not much build-up of temptation to take a shot so far. But as I said, the first goal is to establish myself at the UO50s to make sure I don't have to step down again. I played 6 times so far and have been competitive in 5 out of 6 games. That's a good start.

Honestly, it's not difficult to build up tickets like I did, however most people are weak and lack self-control, thus they become impatient.

In case you want to invest your own poker funds into qualifying for the UO, I'd recommend you to save up and make a concentrated effort. Let's say your limit is 300 Euro and you're not playing many other poker games here. In my mind the smartest thing would be to buy into 30 UO10 qualifiers with your own money and then exchange the UO50s you won back down to UO10s and use those tickets as your foundation to then move up to UO25 (in case you play them), UO50 and UO250.

Archived