NL4 to NL25... The Mental Challenge

nightshopper

20/2 (Day 12): afternoon -27,32

evening +25,51

21/2 (Day 13): afternoon +7,9

evening -62,55

Total profit: €79,98

Yesterday evening was a disaster. I had some nasty bad beats - I remember two three outers which cost me two buy ins - but I have to be honest. I didn't handle losing pretty well. I lost my focus and played really poorly. My state of mind was weak. It would never have been a winning session, but the loss could've and should've been less. Maybe I need to set a rule when I start losing: if I'm losing three buy ins, I should quit the session. Something like that? Also I kept playing six tables, which wasn't good. I already lost my focus, playing six tables made me play worse. So at a moment like that I should be able to go back to four tables in order to focus again. I'm gonna set some goals for the future.

New goals

- Switch from six to four tables if I feel I'm losing focus

- Stop the session when I lost 3 buy ins

The first goal will be no problem, the second on the other hand will be. I'll be reporting here if I'm able to follow my new rules.

I've changed my bankroll rules. According to my initial plan I only had to move down to NL4 when I my bankroll dropped down to €80. But I'd hate to grind my way back to €200 before I could move back up to NL10. New rule: if my bankroll has been reduced to €150 I will move down to NL4. That way it won't take that long to reach NL10 again. Having said that, during an early session today I won back €21,83. That makes my cash game bankroll €201,81, which brings me back to the point where I started NL10. I hope another advantage of changing this bankroll plan is that the prospect of moving down when I'm at €150 - which is only five buy ins atm - makes me play more disciplined. I can't afford another bad session like yesterday. This morning I played better again. With better I mean more patient. Not calling too many hands with questionable hands OOP preflop for instance. When I'm tilted I really make this kind of basic mistakes, because I'm mad and I'm like: screw you, basic rules! I don't need you! I have two suited cards, I can call this OOP, I'm gonna hit my flush on the river and get all his money! Watch and learn, silly basic rules! After which I do get my flush draw, I bet the flop and turn, miss on the river and bluff my whole stack away on the river. Sorry basic rules, guess you were right the whole time...

22/2 (Day 14): +21,6

23/2 (Day 15): -49,03

Total profit: €52,55

It's going bad. Not playing good. My cash game bankroll is at 152,55 now, so I'm moving down to NL4 again. The plan is to fight back to 200 before playing NL10 again. But I'll four table instead of six table next time I play NL10. I have more difficult decisions on NL10 and I can't seem to handle making the right decisions playing six tables. I also must admit I played a few SNG's I shouldn't have played. At least I won most of them :p Since the beginning of my challenge I actually won more with SNG's than I did with cash games. Damn, I'm pissed at myself. I really should learn how to focus. Or maybe I should quit faster when I feel I'm not in the zone. Tonight I'll go for it again at NL4...

Thanks for your faith @psrquack ;)

At the moment I have mixed emotions about my challenge so far. I'm satisfied with the first part, from NL4 to NL10. I played rather solid and the results were good. Of course that also means there weren't many risks of blowing up. I went from four tabling to six tabling, which was okay. I'm not satisfied with the second part, but there were also good things. 

What was bad?

- I kept playing six tables, whereas I often felt that was too much for me at NL10. I should have gone to four, but I didn't. When I move back up to NL10, I will play four tables.

- I played some heads up SNG's I shouldn't have.

- When I was losing I still felt the urge to recover my losses quickly, instead of realizing it's a long term project and being patient. Then I made basic mistakes like calling way too many raises preflop OOP. I was gambling too much instead of playing solid poker.

What was good?

- My cash game bankroll is separated from my bankroll for all the other games. When I played a heads up SNG I knew it wouldn't have any influence on my cash game bankroll. 

- I have the discipline to move back to NL4, which I wouldn't have done without this challenge and blog. I don't like, but I'm doing it.

24/2 (Day 16): -4,56

26/2 (Day 17):  +13,57

Total profit: €59,06

I feel like I have to get used to NL4 again. Moving down has been difficult to me. The pots are much smaller and seem less interesting, so I play too loose and agressive in spots I shouldn't. Last Saturday I didn't play, I played a live home game instead. Yesterday playing NL4 felt okay again, so not playing for one day was a good thing for me. I have to maintain my focus, because I wanna get back to NL10 as soon as possible.

I remember a recent discussion on the Twitch chat about NL4. I said something like: you can make lots of money on NL4 by folding. It may sound a little weird, but I really believe it. I mean, obviously value betting is important also. But this afternoon for example I definitely played too loose postflop. And the point is it's all about focus. I make too many mistakes I wouldn't make playing one table. There are moments I play four or six tables with maximum focus, but I must admit there are too many sessions my focus isn't good enough. While writing this I'm thinking it wouldn't be bad to go back at four tabling instead of six tabling. I was planning to do so on NL10, but I'm not gonna wait.

@psrquack wrote:

What do you think about playing one table NL10 instead of 4 table NL4? If you feel discomfortable about the small pots.

One tabling 10NL would be a bad idea with that bankroll. Wether you 1 or 4 or 6 table, the variance stays the same, the chance for a 6 buy-in downswing and going broke is just as big.

@nightshopper wrote:

I remember a recent discussion on the Twitch chat about NL4. I said something like: you can make lots of money on NL4 by folding. It may sound a little weird, but I really believe it. I mean, obviously value betting is important also. But this afternoon for example I definitely played too loose postflop. 

I agree. The easiest way to beat 4NL is to play like an ABC tight player. No need to bluff catch, the average oppenent doesn't bluff enough for that. And if you're up against one of those maniacs, calling three barrels with less than tptk is just taking a needless gamble.

Yes, easiest way to beat NL4 and get back ASAP to NL10 is to play straight ABC tightish poker.

I would even suggest not to 3bet bluff that much at this limit,  open tigh from EP and MP but get looser on CO, BTN and even SB. You will be surprised of how many folds you get preflop OOP SB vsBB.

When you get raised postflop you can easily fold top pairs since those are more likely garbage in that scenario even against a fish. 

Don't bluff and don't bluff catch. It's useless, trust me.

Play in this way and you can manage to stay at 6 tables or even 8 and play good poker without any problems.

When you get back to NL10, for start, playing at 4 tables is optimal I guess.

Good luck!

27/2 (Day 18 ):  -0,37

28/2 (Day 19):  -5,41

1/3 (Day 20):   +7,58  

2/3 (Day 21):   +5,64

Total profit:   €71,01 

I've been playing NL4 for six days now since I had to move down. It's going less smoothly than it went when I started playing my challenge. Two reasons: first of all I am running worse. But the second reason is that because of running worse I lose my patience too often. I think the mistake that costs me the most money right now is bluffing too much. I know: bluffing on NL4 is useless most of the time. The problem is that I often bluff in good spots. But I know, a good spot on a higher stake doesn't mean it's a good spot at NL4 :D Still, sometimes I can't help myself... How can I put it? I'm not saying I would be a great NL25 or NL50 player, cause I know my game has too many leaks to be really really good there. But playing standard ABC poker at NL4 can get quite boring. And that's why I start making funky moves sometimes. But hey, I am doing a challenge and I really wanna get to NL25. So I have no choice: I need to play more disciplined. If there are people here who recognize this, feel free to react ;) 

@psrquack Thanks for the advice. Playing one table would be better to know what's going on at the table, but it would go too slow for me. Besides, I wanna do the challenge right. First NL4, then NL10 and hopefully then NL25 :)

@MathrimC and @Balonas Also thanks for your advice! 

I think everything has been said here, and you already knew most of it. 4NL can be a boring grind: no herocalling, no 3-bet bluffs, no tripple barrels, ... just tight ABC and your winrate will be higher than you would expect. The hardest thing is self-control and patience. When you can controle those things on the micros, you'll have a better chance of success on the higher limits.

I agree for 100%. But if you think about it: you've been playing and learning a game for 15 years and then you should try to forget everything you learned in the past x years and only apply the stuff you learned in the first few years :D Anyway, tonight I'm determined to play the most basic poker someone has ever played in the history of poker. Give me an A! Give me a B! Give me a C! Profitville, here I come!

A few days ago I decided to quit on line poker and therefore my challenge. I'm not gonna go into detail, at least not here. The plan is to stay away from on line poker for a very long time. But if I'll ever come back, it'll be on Unibet for sure :) Thanks for the support guys and GLGL at the tables!  

Archived