Do you think Avatars are linked to player types?

jonny2192

When I used to play pro, I would use as much information I could to help inform my decisions; and one of those things was avatar choice/image choice.

Obviously I wouldn't let it by the sole piece of information, or even a particularly important piece, but it is definitely something to consider (like location). I remember absolutely hating it if a guy with a picture of him holding his/her baby, or a picture of his/her pet would bet the river. Baby/pet pictures NEVER bluff the river!

In terms of our software, and my observations from running a few streams, I would say that the combination of alias name and avatar definitely relates to the eprsonality of the player; although I'm not sure if I would go so far to suggest it has a significant impact on how they play.

I feel touched that Jamies first post is on my thread. :)
Most us southerners are sweet guys though.
Glad to see a detailed butler reply, been missing your detailed replies on stream. :)

You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

I believe it can be related to a certain type of players but mainly if you keep the same a while.

When you can change each day, the type of players is less related to the avatars i believe because its part of blurring the identity of the player :)  (if that makes sense).  I personnally change a lot of time, and i've tried a lot of different avatars even though i play the same way most of the time.

For the players that keep their avatar a long while, it does influence my perception of the type of players if s1 else has the same avatar...  but it doesnt mean that player plays the same !:)  its only my initial  "perception" that changes

I feel like there is some sort of connection in the choice of username/avatar and playstyle. I've noticed that for example people who has an avatar with a matching "non-typical" nickname are usually more straight forward players. Don't know if it's the fact that they had put some thought in to the nickname when choosing an avatar and opt to do so in game too? I might also overthink it, that's why I don't really put weight on it. :d :smileyvery-happy:

The choice of avatar IMO should never affect your game. Unless it's a duck vs. DaVitsche, then it's psychological warfare. 

Based on the way i personally choose my avatars the answer would be no. Sometimes what you see is what you get, but I would never take for granted that the person behind that sweet little flight attendant avatar is as nice as they appear to be - or that the "evil joker" isn't in fact a very careful player despite the aggressive appearance. If it's a poker room where you can upload your own pics you might be able to discern a few things from your opponents choice of avatar, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it when playing.

Quick answer: Yes. Very much so, but these tells are becoming less usable as more and more avatars are added to the client.

I could spend 45 minutes with Photoshop (or GIMP,  because I'm a cheapskate) making the ultimate "Unibet Avatar Tells" guide, but I think the information is too valuable. I don't really want people to start leveling me by using one of the "Spewfish" avatars if they are actually nits.

That said, in my experience, I think the most reliable avatar tells are: Clowns play like clowns. Blondes play like blondes. Robots play like robots. GTO penguins play like GTO penguins. Except when they don't.

Archived