Is anyone here superstitious at the poker table?

PokerAndBetting

I haven't been very long but I already got an unlucky profile/Alias, and I don't want to delete it since maybe the bad luck jump to another profile. 😃 And I don't want to change my background since I'm doing ok atm.

Really stupid I know and consider myself a realist/atheist. I don't care about other stuff IRL like walking under ladders, black cats etc, that's bull.

Anyone else got some (embarrassing) superstitiousness to share?
I know it's a game of math and probability but still... (not to forget bluffing, psychology etc)

The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less.
-Eldridge Cleaver

If I create a new alias and immediately have a bad run using that alias then it gets dumped fairly qickly....that said, I don't consider that to be superstition, I just prefer to dump it along with the negative associations.....not that I believe that alias actually caused the bad run, if that makes sense! :wonder:   

Usually not, but since last night i feel im cursed. I hate 9, when i see i use to have bad feelings, but i dont think of it much. I played the daily 4 600 GTD, i had A♥️ Q♠️  and 3bet. The button guy (from now idiot) called, the BB as well. Flop is 4♥️ 9♥️ Q♣️ . Loose BB 3bet. I was very sure he has maximum a Q, or a draw. Doesnt matter now if it was a right move or not, but i went all-in w 22 blinds (actually it was, he folded). Idiot had less chips, but called, had 9♠️  2♠️ ????? How dare you to call even my preflop 3bet??? Is he new to poker? Is he drunk? He risks his tournament w pair of 9, when he has no kicker, when there is an overcard, and chance for straight or flush draw, but not for him. Idiot. Turn is x, river is 9 !!!!!!!! Why dont you.... 😠 I had few BBs left, but i was very upset, i sweared a lot. Few seconds later Nancy basketball team, my bet lost the 15 points lead what they had 10 minutes before the end!!! Few seconds later on an other site, other tournament i run into quads of 4. I went to sleep right away. I wake up today, i play my first tournament, it was a freeroll. After 15 minutes run into quads of 5... 

If Nancy has no meltdown i would say its my mental thing and downswing, but like this its supernatural, superstitious or a curse. I dont wanna see a 9 on the flop anymore... Idiot, i hope you are not a witch... 

@radge1 wrote:

If I create a new alias and immediately have a bad run using that alias then it gets dumped fairly qickly....that said, I don't consider that to be superstition, I just prefer to dump it along with the negative associations.....not that I believe that alias actually caused the bad run, if that makes sense! :wonder:   

I'm not a superstitious person, but I get rid of "unlucky" aliases quickly too. I seem to start playing worse when I use a screenname that's been on a losing streak. It's really stupid to let it affect me, but I'm a stupid human with stupid cognitive dissonances.

@ArtyMcFly wrote:

@radge1 wrote:

I'm not a superstitious person, but I get rid of "unlucky" aliases quickly too. I seem to start playing worse when I use a screenname that's been on a losing streak. It's really stupid to let it affect me, but I'm a stupid human with stupid cognitive dissonances.

What those two said.

Formerly known as StartlingGrope

I'm not supertitious at all, but i tend to do as other mentionned here: i generally get rid fof any alias that tend to lose quickly.  I know its stupid but if i lose 2-3 big favorite hands with some alias..you can be sure 'ill change it directly after the game. I guess i hope my bad luck goes with it (often, it doesn't though :D)

• 1 year later...

Yes i am...when i see things with numbers in one day when i want to do a big session i just use them in my session.

For example: i was to pay a bill and i was the 33 on the line....so i emply myself to play that pocket pair more often in that day.

@Mynona wrote:

I'm not supertitious at all, but i tend to do as other mentionned here: i generally get rid fof any alias that tend to lose quickly.  I know its stupid but if i lose 2-3 big favorite hands with some alias..you can be sure 'ill change it directly after the game. I guess i hope my bad luck goes with it (often, it doesn't though :D)

Similar situation here, only difference is I do the same thing with table backgrounds.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDu wrote:

@Mynona wrote:

Similar situation here, only difference is I do the same thing with table backgrounds.

Not sure does that count as being superstitious, or just as a tiny, easy and quick way to change the way you see things, and that way affect the playing mood :wonder:

But yeah, also guilty for doing that :laugh: Change my aliases and backgrounds pretty much every 1-2 times I play, just to break my viewing patterns and habbits, and experience the same sight slightly differently. Cheers me up always 😏

Archived