Community notification

AndreiBN

Not a very important suggestion,but was thinking that it could work out much better if , whenever we get a notification or a inbox message,a small number to show right above our profile picture,next to the username box.

So we don't need to always click on our profile to see if there is something new.And also when you are on another website and you get a notification in the community page ,the (1) number stays there for only 5 seconds maximum.It should be there until you check your profile like it's on Facebook and any other site that gives notification.This will probably make members stay active longer on the community site and it's also a very good reminder,so you don't lose some things .

"When things are bad, it's the best time to reinvent yourself"

This is something I had already done a bit of work on and just needed to change a few more things. I've just finalized it and as soon as the designer approves it, I'll push the change - I'm not the best at CSS, so code needs to be reviewed :)

Below a few images to show how it'll look.

NotificationOnHome.PNG.e078ea870d8077af17f3fceb8574823b.PNG

NewUserMenu.thumb.PNG.db99869048b8301ed6d5046f2cd16558.PNG

He went back to old changes temporarily to fix mobile issue.

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

How come we can't like or vote for posts within a thread here? I wanted to like 's suggestion because I agree that the current menu is way to big. I think just a small notification box like the one in his(her?) pic would be perfect. That way you wouldn't need to click anywhere to find out what kind of notification you've received either. 👍 A simple dropdown menu from there would also be better than the huge one we have now.

Okay, so in other words, if a better suggestion, or as in this case another related suggestion, is made in the thread the user basically have to post a new thread for that suggestion alone to get it acknowledged? Because just not liking the main topic won't point out what counter-suggestion within the thread you feel is better. I sort of get the idea they were going for with this setup, but it's also kind of hard to get a proper view of what people actually think. It's like setting up a poll with only one choice - those who are pro that "choice" will of course vote so you get that number - but those who are against it won't vote at all, so how would you know that number - and whether or not that non-existent "choice" is actually the winner of the poll? Maybe that was a poor analogy, but I hope you understand what I mean anyway. 😛

Thanks for explaining though, . 😃

Why isn't it possible to like comments? The short answer is that this is the way the platform works by default, and I didn't see a reason to change it. Other/new ideas shouldn't be submitted as comments, but new ideas. 's suggestion is more of a new idea than a refinement of Andrei's idea. If we're talking refinements, they should of course be added as comments, and we'll read these when we action the ideas. It'll require a bit of design customization to enable likes on comments, but I don't really have a problem doing so, now that you're more who've requested it :) can't say when this will be live, but probably next week.

The suggestion by . Please submit it as a new idea :) I kinda like it, but it will only work with screen resolutions around 1280px and higher, so we'd end up with two different designs for mobile/tablet and desktop, which is something I'd like to avoid. I'll check if there's a relatively easy way to test this and try out a few things on our test enviroment.

The new slide-out menu being too big. I don't really understand this. The size of the menu shouldn't really be an issue, the content of the menu taken into consideration. I mean, you'll only click it when you actually need to access settings and/or go to notifications/PM's, and then the size shouldn't matter, I guess? It is indeed optimized for mobile/tablet, but I think it works pretty well on desktop as well - I might not be completely objective on this :D

Just realized I can't quote a comment either, but yes  the slide menu is too big imo, I don't think there's any reason for it to take up the entire right side of the screen when there's no text there anyway, just a big chunk of white space. Also, since there's no X to close it, but you have to click somewhere else on the page to do so it would be better if you could just click below it.

Sorry about hijacking your thread for this , I'll shut up now. :happyshy:

Archived