Dear future bloggers, please don't do a bankroll challenge :)

MoreTBC

First off a disclaimer, this is in no way an attack or meant as disrespect to anyone that is currently blogging about a bankroll challenge. Everyone that is currently chronicling their poker journey is doing an excellent job IMO and should continue doing so so that I can read them, enjoy the content and then steal ideas for my own blog :)  This is simply just my personal thoughts about something to consider before starting a blog with a bankroll challenge as the main subject.

Why am I against bankroll challenges?

When we all made our first deposit we said to ourselves I want to take x deposit and turn it into y profit. It's pretty much the basis of why we all play. There will be exceptions that just enjoy the game but I would expect the majority are trying to 'run it up'. This means in essence that you are doing exactly what the person next to you is, you're just writing it down. It gets stale pretty quick. That's not to say there are not bankroll challenges out there that are not great to read/watch. Pre-Twitch when Jason Somerville did his challenge it was great viewing and the same could be said for Doug Polk today. The thing that made their challenges great was that it was a predefined challenge with criteria using a tiny portion of they're existing bankroll, not just 'I've made a deposit, I want to reach 10k'.

I also think it's not good for the blogger to set time/financial goals. You're just creating extra stress for yourself. Say for example you've set yourself a deadline to reach €500, you have 2 days to go and you're €50 away from your target. Are you going to play like a maniac to try and push for the win? Are you going to feel rubbish if you don't make it? 

What happens when you complete your goal? If your blog is successful you'll have other members of the community invested in your journey so are you just going to stop? Nobody really plays poker with the intention of stopping when they hit a certain bankroll. There is nothing wrong with having a value in mind that you want to reach in order to have some personal satisfaction (mine is €/£1000) but you're not really going to stop then, you just pick a new value and carry on. Your blog should be the same IMO.

The 2+2 forum has a section dedicated to poker goals and challenges and the ones that last the longest and have the most interaction are generally the ones that don't have a financial target as the main emphasis. It's about players moving up stakes or reaching the WSOP etc. Player improvement and personal achievement is the way to go I feel. I might be wrong but I know personally I'd rather read about someone excitement about playing their first €250 UO Sat or winning their first MTT over day 50 of someone just crushing NL200 like a robot.

Unnecessary rant complete :) Every day is a bankroll challenge, be it in real life or poker, consider focusing on the other stuff when you start a blog please :)

:Hearts: 

Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it :)

I think often people just want to discipline themselves by writing their goals/daily play down publicly, it's not really about hitting the goal or trying to be popular with their blog, but they are only trying to stay in the right track 😃 Of course this blog-keeping affects people differently, some might feel a big pressure when they stumble or fail and have to report about it, but for some it may be a good motivation - really depends on the person 😏

I don't keep up with all the bankroll challenges that are posted here, but I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, if people do it and I wish them luck 👍

@Ametrine wrote:

I think often people just want to discipline themselves by writing their goals/daily play down publicly, it's not really about hitting the goal or trying to be popular with their blog, but they are only trying to stay in the right track 😃 Of course this blog-keeping affects people differently, some might feel a big pressure when they stumble or fail and have to report about it, but for some it may be a good motivation - really depends on the person 😏

I don't keep up with all the bankroll challenges that are posted here, but I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, if people do it and I wish them luck 👍

I agree with you 100% @Ametrine . If a guy does something that he thinks it's good for him and other people might not like it,that doesn't mean he's doing something wrong.I think it's a cool way for someone to get some extra motivation.Setting higher and higher goals can only have a positive effect,no matter how hard you have to fight to achieve them.

Fear knocked at the door, Faith answered and nobody was there.

I agree with both of you :)

It wasn't a ''I'm telling you to not do it" post, just a 'consider doing it with other things as the priority before you start' post. I know that recording and reviewing my own results in a blog has made me a better player and I would encourage other players to do the same. I was just suggesting make that the focus, not the financial reward, that's all :)

The OP was worded badly 😞

I stand by my title :) 

If you could make the smiley face in the title convey a little more 'tounge in cheek' and a little less 'telling off in school' that would be great though.. or tag it as 'Just one mans badly worded opinion'. I can use the tag in my blog too :)

edit: you could change the post before to say the below I suppose. Makes more sense then.

It wasn't a 'I'm telling you to not do it' post, just a 'consider doing it with other things as the priority before you start' post.

MoreTBC wrote:

I stand by my title :) 

If you could make the smiley face in the title convey a little more 'tounge in cheek' and a little less 'telling off in school' that would be great though.. or tag it as 'Just one mans badly worded opinion'. I can use the tag in my blog too :)

Edit: you could change the post before to say the below I suppose. Makes more sense then.

It wasn't a 'I'm telling you to not do it' post, just a 'consider doing it with other things as the priority before you start' post.

Now you got both Marco and myself confused :Scared:

In "the post before" you had already written this, did you mean the OP? :)

Former Community Manager

Orig: It wasn't a 'Don't do it' post, just a 'consider doing it with other things as the priority before you start' post.

Edit: It wasn't a 'I'm telling you to not do it' post, just a 'consider doing it with other things as the priority before you start' post.

It was only a slight rewording but the moment has probably passed now :)

Archived