Who will win in Copa America 2016

tomeczek19

This is a no-brainer for me. Argentina is by far the best team in the tournament, and they have great players in (almost) every position. Colombia has two basic problems; Bacca isn't a great striker and their defensive midfield is a joke. You can basically walk straight through their midfield without much hassle.

Brasil haven't really impresed me all that much either, although their thrashing of Haiti probably impressed some... Haiti were horrendous in that match, and I don't think it tells us much about Brasil's strenght.

Of course, there's also Messi... After his performance last time around, it's easy to see just how much of a difference he can make in a tournament where the difference in class is so wide.

I'm certain Mexico won't like to meet Argentina in next round, so they'll definitely be motivated to at least draw against Venezuela in the last group match. Venezuela doesn't score much, so I really like the "Mexico wins to nil" offer of 2.70 that Unibet offers... I also play Mexico Asian Handicap-1, as I can see Venezuela throw in the towel if they go one goal down and doesn't manage to crewate much themselves for a while. Offered at odds @ 2.00, I kind of like that bet as well. Mexico's line-up strong defensively, and they play their usual 3 upfront.

We're back with the first of the four quarter finals of this Copa Centenario tonight, when the hosts faces Ecuador.

I'm not a big fan of the American style, and would have preferred having Paraguay through, but as that's not the case... 

The quarters:

Usa - Ecuador (tonight)
Peru - Colombia (tomorrow)
Argentina - Venezuela (in 2 days)
Mexico - Chile (in 2 days)

I'm not too eager about Ecuador either, but I'll cheer for them in the first match. USA will have to do without Yedlin who got sent off last match. It's Enner Vlencia, Antonio Valencia, Noboa and Montero that'll have to do things for Ecuador. The Americans rest their hopes on the grand old man Clint Dempsey, and the likes of Bobby Wood offensively and Michael Bradley to control the midfield.

For the rest of the matches, my heart will be with Colombia, Argentina and Mexico... although Chile played well last time around to turn things and won't be a heartache for me if they go through.

What do you guys think of this quarters?

Facing Argentina in the semi, if the Argentinians doesn't stumble in their own quarter, I don't think USA stand a chance of reaching the finals. They'll miss Jones, Bedoya and Wood through suspension, and Argentina is quite simply just too good a team to not take a lot better advantage of USA's holes in their defense than Ecuador did. And that's keeping in ind Ecuador really should have scored a couple of more goals as well. Heck, Enner Valencia had enough giant chances to score a couple of goals in his own. I don't see the likes of Higuain, Messi, Aguero, Lamela and Levazzi wasting those kind of opportunities too often.

USA snatched a semi-spot last night in an intriguing match against Ecuador. Both teams with three bookings and a player each sent off early in the second half. In the end Enner Valencia couldn't score on several gigantic chances to equalize, and the Americans 2-1 win sets them up to most likely face tournament favorites Argentina in one semi.

Tonight Preu and Colombia plays for a spot in the other semi, and we should probably expect an equally tight match again. Not that Colombia doesn't have the firepower up front to extend an eventual lead, with Cuadrado, Cardona and and Rodriguez in the trio behind Bacca up front. For Peru, they probably have to rely on the experienced Guerrero to take advantage of their chances. He does however lack the kind of quality backing him up as the Colombians got, but Peru play a faster break game, and might just break through the basically non-existent defensive midfield of Colombia often enough to shock them.

I put my money on Colombia to score o1.5 @ 1.97 (and got it boosted thanks to my correct pick of Alvaro Morata to score Spain's first goal), so I'll be cheering for them. Hopefully we'll get another good and exciting game.

As expected a very easy win for Argentina against Venezuela. Opened with that pass from Messi assisting an excellent finish from Higuain, and when the latter also got a gift from the Venezuelan defense before the half hour mark, it was strolling. Messi himself and Erik Lamela added to the scoreline, while Rondon scored the sole one for Venezuela. Argentina facing hosts USA in one semi.

Mexico and Chile up next, playing for the semi-spot opposite Colombia. It should be an interesting match. Both teams with quite a bit of quality, and a few of them also shown great form in this tournament.

Archived