UO multibuy

gillvs77

I prefer the play with the maximum buyins as possible. When we are speaking about the daily 4 ticket which one would be earned via freeroll and a lucky freeroller wants to enjoy the fruit of his hardly work than you should play yolo with that ticket or if it's possible try the €25 qualifier. If you win a seat the benefit is bigger because that tourney has a better blind system (increase every 12 mins instead of a daily4 of 9) and no multiple buyin. So if you have nerves then try to earn some similar tickets if not then yolo and ship it!

@gillvs77 wrote:

does anyone know if its worth to use more then 1 ticket at 4euro satellites or is it better to try more with 1 ticket?

Hey gillvs, this depends on a couple of factors: -

• What your bankroll is
  • What your deep stacked game is like
  • What your short stacked game is like

If you have alot of experience with <=10bb push / fold poker, you might enjoy and find it rewarding to buy in for just one ticket, but be prepared to be push folding really soon into your game. If you have experience playing deeper, then you could buy in multiple times and get a deeper starting stack.

When you buy in multiple times, assuming you are equally skilled with a short stack and a deepstack you significantly reduce your variance, because you will not be risking your tournament life quite as early on in the tournament. But of course it costs more to buy in more than once, so you just need to make sure you are bankrolled for it.

If you want to follow bankroll management guidelines then a good rule of thumb is to cost the tournament according to how much it would cost you to buy in for a 'regular' stack, equivalent in your usual mtts. So if you have to spend 3x4 euros to get a regular starting stack to your usual mtts, then you could call it as 12 euro buyin mtt, as far as bankroll management is concerned.

Another consideration is that your final chip is worth more than your penultimate chip, and so on.  So going from 4k to 5k is more valuable than going from 40k to 41k.  That means that using the minimum number of entries has a higher EV than using the maximum, if all else is equal.

Former head of poker @ Unibet

@psrquack wrote:

@Andrew-Unibet wrote:

That means that using the minimum number of entries has a higher EV than using the maximum, if all else is equal.

If so you should start with only one chip and play a volume.

If that option were available, yes.  This is the basis of ICM.

Former head of poker @ Unibet

; from the replies, you can already notice that there are a lot of factors to consider when you like to know which startingstack is best for you. There is no golden number of stacks to buy-in with.

I agree with  that it is dependent on your shortstack and deepstack game.

I also find it dependent on what gives you comfort and waiting time. Then I would also consider what the surrounding stacksizes are and the level of  my opponents.

Even if you consider your shortstack game better than your deepstack game, you might consider to buy-in deeper, to give yourself more comfort in the early stages and even more comfort when you find an early double for upcoming stages of the tournament.

You might be a player that consider to be better in shortstack than deepstack, but not that bad at deepstack that you want to avoid a big stack at all cost. The underrated aspect of having a big stack in a tournament here, is the waiting time it gives you and the opportunity to bust others from the tournament - something that is taken away when you play short stack too often. Therefore I would pay attention to the buy-in behaviour of my opponents and the number of prizes as well.

I believe if you play those games regularly, you will find your preferred startingstack. My personal considerations would be:

- What's comfortable for me Bankroll-wise and Startingstack-wise, taking the cost and shortstack/deepstack elements into consideraton?

- What kind of stacks are my opponents buying in for?

- How topheavy is this qualifier? With a few prizes, the more chips you'll need to accumulate.

- How soft is the field playing those games? 

You have more chance of qualifying if you start with a larger stack, but you should have a higher ROI by starting with the minimum. I always use the min buyin in those games, and my ROI has been outrageously high (over a very small sample). I've noticed that some of the guys with bigger buyins seem to be solid regs, but some of the others are just absolute maniacs that punt off 2 or 3 buyins almost every time. It's almost as if they think they are "invincible" if they have everyone covered at the start. They aren't invincible. If they jam the first hand and lose, they've just set money on fire, and benefited everyone who only bought in for 1 stack.

I think I need to develop a short stack game

I probably will stick with one buyin and try to  join tournaments without players who buyin multi, this way I will get more experience out ofthe same amount of tickets, the short stack I experience later into the tournament anyways

thx for all responses

Archived