Jump to content

Unibet - Withholding Funds & Discriminating


fourgen

Recommended Posts

I am retired and enjoy online gambling. I signed up with Unibet after doing a Google search to see if they had any decent new customer offers.

I joined, deposited and placed some bets and now having winnings just under £400. Great I thought - a bit of luck for a change as I hadn't been winning much at all recently.

Then after withdrawing my winnings I noticed they were being held. I received an email saying I needed to verify my account.

Strange as most other competent online bookmakers either don't require this or can do this electronically.

Frustrated, I complied with the request and provided photos of my ID and proof of address. They initially weren't accepted as they were scans (which is how I would typically send any document electronically). So I then took photos with my phone camera and sent them over.

They were then accepted and my account fully 'verified'. However the withdrawal was still held despite jumping through these hoops.

I then receive an email asking me to call them before they release the withdrawal. Out of principial I refuse to call them - as it is totally unnecessary. 

They are welcome to photos of me, my house, my car, my kitchen, if it really makes any difference, but I suffer from a speech impediment and do not like speaking to companies on the phone - which is why I use online bookmakers in the first instance!

So now they are discriminating against me by forcing me to call them which will have a profound affect on my mental state as the last time I spoke to a company on the phone was several years ago. I will need to take medication to call them but this aside - I shouldn't have to!!!

Unibet you are disgusting, your customer service is appaling, your processes are draconian and unnecessary and let's face it, you just don't want to pay me my winnings so are using excuse after excuse to prevent from paying up.

I have contacted IBAS and am in the process of contacting the Gambling Commision in regards to Unibet fitness to hold a gamling licence in regards to UK customers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry about your speech impediment. Just let them know beforehand (on live chat). It's an odd request but there might be some additional things they want to verify before processing the withdrawal. If you made a bank wire, they might need additional bank info. The documents procedure is standard practise. Any reputable site will ask for them at some point.
I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Every single bookmaker request documents from their customers in certain cases - personally I've sent documents to more than 10 different bookmakers, either to get the account verified or to get a withdrawal processed. In fact the bookmakers don't have an option in some cases, it's simply required by law - usually gaming license or money laundering related. Not accepting scans is also a common practice - the safety and security of our players is of the utmost importance to us.

We're a listed company with a market cap of SEK 18,000,000,000 that focuses a lot on customer experience and transparency. Having security checks with the sole purpose of delaying a withdrawal would be a pretty bad business decision, a decision that wouldn't make sense in any way. Withholding money without a reason could ultimately result in issues with our licenses, risking the very existence of the company.

I'll need a bit of time to look into your case, before I can comment further. Should have more information by Monday :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have complied fully with the Unibet validation requirements by providing photographs of both my passport and of a recent bank statement.

It maybe "common practice" however it is the first time across several online bookmakers that I have been prompted to provide such information.

Furthermore these photos have been accepted in full according to an email and my online account itself.

I should now be able to withdraw my winnings - however that is not the case and I am faced with the 'petty' request to call you.

I disagree with that in principal - disability or no disability. However having disabilities makes this 'simple' task all the more complicated.

I have already contacted IBAS the UK Gambling Commission and the Unibet CEO Henrik.

You are compelled to provide accessible channels to disabled individuals to ensure your business is inclusive. It would appear Unibet do not consider certain groups of society when building your draconian security requirements.

All I want to do is withdraw my winnings back to my bank account. You are an online bookmaker - if I wanted to call you then I would have set up a telephone bookmaker account.

Realistically, because I really need my money, I am now going to have to take medication and attempt to struggle through a call with you tomorrow! Totally against my will but you have forced me into this position.

Delays waiting for replies from departments make me feel like a second class citizen. I shall be closing my account and raising this with the media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also sent some documents around sites, but I never had to call with a site as far as I know, I think some try to reach me, for example with my birthday, but I don't answer these calls anyway, out of principe.

I think you should not take this personal, the employee probably only follow a script or protocol he does with other customers too... Maybe it's just a check build-in becos of recent reports of kids 'stealing' documents from parents, just speaking my mind. Maybe you can use videocall if that's ok for both parties and communicate with text.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've since emailed them photos of both myself and my passport, myself and my driving licence and an actual photo of myself on my laptop logged into the Unibet website.

Short of providing DNA and blood samples I don't want else they could possibly want.

Let's see what excuse they come up with next not to release my withdrawal.

If my withdrawal isn't released within the next 24 hours then I will initiate small claims action against them - without a doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, as far as I'm aware, their payment partner (Earthport or so) doesnt work in weekend (so a withdrawal on Friday will be after the weekend paid out) so at best you will see the money on Monday, in case of banktransfers

also, in my experience, Unibet is one of the fastest around in withdrawal, once I've deposit in the morning for a depositbonus that didnt work so I tried with another deposit and withdrew the first deposit and in the afternoon the money of the first deposit was already back on my bankaccount

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People need to act rationally and things would go smoothly. I understand that 'under principle' you refuse to call them. But did you let them know that on the chat? That because of your conidition it was hard to talk over the phone? My first withdrawal was a little over 2 years ago, and it took around 17-18 days because of security checks and such. If you better comunicate with them I'm sure it will be handled really soon. It's similar to a restaurant. If a waitress accidently drops your food and you say "I'M CALLING HEADQUARTERS, I'M GOING TO THE MEDIA," do you think you will recieve optimal service?

 Act calm, work with them, and everything will end up fine.

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way
Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% agree with  here. Absolutely pointless to start throwing threats here. You are dealing with humans, not computers. I get your reasoning on not calling them based on principle and a disability, but you should let them know that. And IMO it's better to have real verifications than to just release to anyone who requests a withdrawal. 

Would you act with the same attitude, if someone somehow got in to your account and tried to withdraw all the funds but couldn't because of the safety measures? 

And after all the fuzz, the withdrawing process is quick and easy. I have usually had the funds back to my bank account in a matter of hours, I deposit and withdraw via Visa. 

Hopefully everything will get sorted quick and easy for you. And I'm sure that your post here in the community will fasten things up a bit. :)

Hopefully you still have a good day!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there!

I don't know if it works, but try to login to unibet.be

Maybe it helps and you can play with your same account and money on it.

I also had some troubles with other casino's that would not pay, because of some bullsh*t rule etc..., 

but Unibet was, for me, the best casino with withdraws. I asked about 250 euro and the day after I already received it, no pasport or identity or other documents were asked. 

So you've got notting to lose so give it a try! :-)

I spend half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women.
The other half I wasted....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And never forgetthere are 2 things in life, that can destroy everything you have,

if you dont take care of it or trust others to much with it....

... Money and women! :-)

I spend half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women.
The other half I wasted....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies that I wasn't able to give an answer in the weekend, but I needed to talk to a certain manager, to figure out how to move forward, and she was off during the weekend. I replied to you, when I was off work, and Saturday, where is was also off, I tried to see if there was another manager working, who could make a decision on this case.

Unfortunately we can't proceed without the earlier mentioned phone call. It's not often that such a call is needed, and we don't ask for it without a good reason.

We've never done it before, but I'm willing to personally do a video chat with you instead, where you can answer our questions in writing. If you wish to make use of this option, you can just send me a PM, and we can discuss the when and how. If you let me know today, I'll be available between 10 and 22 CET every day this week - don't worry, I'm not working that many hours, I just want to make the bad experience as good as possible :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your solution is not acceptable.

 

On Saturday, I was asked, by Unibet support, to now provide a selfie style photo with me holding up the passport against my face.

 

Not only did I comply, I also sent photos of me holding my drivers licence up to my face and sat on my laptop logged into the Unibet website.

 

Both my face and all my ID details are clearly visible in the photo.

 

This was meant to be the resolution to my issue and now you expect me to still jump through further hoops.

 

You are out of order and I have already escalated this issue to the Unibet CEO and I've again contacted IBAS and the UK Gambling Commission with reference to your suitability to hold a licence.

 

Can you please provide the UK address to which a small claims action can be sent?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry you feel that way :sad:

I've accommodated your request to find a solution that won't require you to speak, which was the reason why you didn't want to accept a call from us. If you don't want to make use of the video chat option, I'm afraid I can't do further in this case, and escalating the case to Henrik, IBAS or the UK gambling commission won't really help.

CS have asked if they need to reply to your most recent email. I've told them it wouldn't be necessary, as I would reply here, and they'd basically just be repeating my message.

See this page for further information about complaints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@fourgen wrote:

This was meant to be the resolution to my issue and now you expect me to still jump through further hoops.


I don't understand why you think that would be the case, when our CS made it very clear, that it wouldn't necessarily be the case:

@unibet CS wrote:

I am unable to advise whether this will then suffice for the withdrawal to be processed. The documents will be sent to our player safety team and once they have advised us further we can up date you.


In your most recent email you wrote that you don't have a webcam, and that's why the video chat isn't an option. I find that a bit strange, as you've said that you uploaded a picture of you sitting by your computer. I've checked that picture, and your laptop does have an in-built webcam. If you need help getting the webcam to work, I'm happy to offer some remote support and set up the webcam for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't want to hi-jack or divert this topic, but I'm going to talk about my experience with 2 different poker sites. First site: I wanted to change my username and to do that, I had to have a 15 minute phone call with a customer service agent, who asked my national ID number, name, address 3 times. It seemed ridiculous and annoying, but I did it just as they asked and I got my username changed. Second site: I withdrew money on the first day of making my account without any confirmation about my identity.

My point is that different sites have different security standards. There is 0% chance that Unibet is discriminating or harrassing you - they just have their security guidelines and they are working according to them. They even came as far as to offer an alternative to a standard phone call - silent video call with typing. I think it's a very reasonable compromise for both sides and I would use this opportunity if I was in your position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firstly, don't ask me to provide further photos if they won't affect the outcome, this is pointless and frustrates matters even more.

 

Secondly, I'm within my rights to escalate and take legal action as I see fit, irrespective of whether you personally think this will make a difference.

 

Thirdly, please explain, why, you need me to call. As Unibet have never put forward the rationale behind this strange requirement.

 

Do you think I'm being held hostage, or forced into online gambling?

 

As you've already explained, it is an unusual step, so please do explain it.

 

Also, I don't appreciate your tone in regards to whether my laptop has an apparent webcam or not.

 

At the end of the day, I'm not totally sure how to use it and for the most part I didn't realise it was there.

 

Lastly, as, you have caused me untold stress and evidently you don't care one bit, I will call later at some point this week as I'd planned on giving my withdrawal to my son for his birthday.

 

Now I'm going into hospital today for an operation, I'll send you a photo from my hospital bed as you will no doubt not believe me.

 

I assume I won't need anything, so can call from my bedside some time this week?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


@fourgen wrote:

Firstly, don't ask me to provide further photos if they won't affect the outcome, this is pointless and frustrates matters even more.


We don't request documents without a reason. 


@fourgen wrote:

Secondly, I'm within my rights to escalate and take legal action as I see fit, irrespective of whether you personally think this will make a difference.

Of course, I never said you shouldn't escalate it, and I even posted a link with further information about how you can proceed. I simply wrote my own personal opinion; that it won't result in a resolution of this case.


@fourgen wrote:

Thirdly, please explain, why, you need me to call. As Unibet have never put forward the rationale behind this strange requirement.

Do you think I'm being held hostage, or forced into online gambling?

No, we do not think you're being held hostage. I'm afraid I can't comment further on why we need this call/video chat - in some cases the explanation will defeat the purpose of the call, and we generally don't comment on this in public.


@fourgen wrote:

Also, I don't appreciate your tone in regards to whether my laptop has an apparent webcam or not.

At the end of the day, I'm not totally sure how to use it and for the most part I didn't realise it was there.


I'm sorry you feel that way. That's exactly why I offered to help with the webcam :)


@fourgen wrote:

Lastly, as, you have caused me untold stress and evidently you don't care one bit, I will call later at some point this week as I'd planned on giving my withdrawal to my son for his birthday.

 

Now I'm going into hospital today for an operation, I'll send you a photo from my hospital bed as you will no doubt not believe me.

 

I assume I won't need anything, so can call from my bedside some time this week?


I honestly don't see what more I could have done, to make this a better experience.

  1. I've spent more than an hour of my spare time on your case
  2. I've offered to do a video chat, which is something we've never done before
  3. I've offered remote support to get your webcam to work/set it up, which is also something we've never done before

Once again I'm sorry to hear that you don't think we care. All I can say is that I disagree. Hope your operation goes smooth and your son has a good birthday :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not going to engage in a game of ping pong and I've never questioned the effort you have put in, as customer, I expect every Unibet employee or representative to put me as a customet first, so to me, its a given.

 

I have already accepted that I will need to call and I can't be bothered trying to setup my webcam, plus I'm in hospital this week.

 

So, when I feel comfortable and take my medication, I will call.

 

Do I need anything other than myself when I call and can I call anytime?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


@fourgen wrote:

Do I need anything other than myself when I call and can I call anytime?


No, you won't need anything else.

Unfortunately you can't just call us, but we'll need to call you - the person you're speaking to need to know about the case and the questions they should ask you. If you send your availability, we'll get back to you and confirm the exact time we'll call :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll see if I'm allowed my mobile on the ward.

 

I'm thinking around 8.45 later today, as visiting will have finished.

 

If I'm not allowed my mobile, can you call my hospital bed phone?

 

So I don't need my purse and bank cards, or anything like that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...