What TV Shows and Movies have you seen recently and recommend?

PunchFace

image.thumb.png.4696132853cfdbcd3013578a8630e991.png 

Added nothing new, seven episodes could have been done in four, five at the most, disappointing. 😧

image.thumb.png.fd81cb2eff4288c537f588abe9249fb8.png 

How this rates so highly on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes quite frankly baffles me. It does have a few action fights but nothing better than anywhere else, a plot of big business controlling the town, nothing new, and three basic stock characters with nothing very different about any of them or their back stories. 

Not a particularly big spoiler!  🤫

Spoiler

How is it that the three main goodies each end up each fighting against their particular opposite foe, after a raging gunfight in a burning warehouse, where everybody except these 6 characters are all killed.

We've seen it all before, but better, slicker and more engaging. Disappointed! 😞

Roll on the next episode of Better Call Saul. 😀

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

20 minutes ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

How this rates so highly on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes quite frankly baffles me.

Don't make up your mind to watch or don't watch something from those BS Companies. They are being paid to rate some higher than others. That's how they survive, and the same happens in games where you will see one shit game rated 9+ by the companies, and the people who play give it a five at most. If you want to know if something is worth your time, watch the trailer on Youtube/Gameplay, and you will know since nowadays, the trailers/gameplays kind of show you most of it already. 😉

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FreedoM said:

Don't make up your mind to watch or don't watch something from those BS Companies. They are being paid to rate some higher than others. That's how they survive, and the same happens in games where you will see one shit game rated 9+ by the companies, and the people who play give it a five at most. If you want to know if something is worth your time, watch the trailer on Youtube/Gameplay, and you will know since nowadays, the trailers/gameplays kind of show you most of it already. 😉

While there is blatant ratings manipulation by imdb like 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13984924/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt#void or

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13406036/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt#void

most of the regular titles are pretty accurately rated in my opinion. Definitely better than in your newspaper or tv magazine, that's for sure!

For (drama) TV shows with a storyline, anything above 8,5 is usually really good stuff, depending on your preferences, of course. Anything between 8-8,5 is worth to take a look. Anything below 8, I usually ignore.

Breaking Bad: 9,5. Chernobyl: 9,4. Game of Thrones: 9,2. Better Call Saul: 8,8. Vikings: 8,5. Walking Dead: 8,2. 

Some sub 7,5 shows I watched : The Strain, Wayward Pines, Outcast and Helix. Helix and Outcast, I had to turn off in the middle of the series, the strain and wayward pines had promise but gave me less entertainment than some reaction videos on youtube. 😆 

Edited by WuDu
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

20 hours ago, FreedoM said:

Don't make up your mind to watch or don't watch something from those BS Companies. They are being paid to rate some higher than others. 

16 hours ago, WuDu said:

While there is blatant ratings manipulation by imdb....... most of the regular titles are pretty accurately rated in my opinion.

I usually watch something due to the clips shown or adverts, better still word of mouth, very rarely looking at ratings first. Years ago if I started watching something I would stick with it till the end, these days I can ditch something fairly quickly, but others can be a slow build up.  Game of Thrones took me three attempts to get past episode 4, becoming a big fan but only persisting because of recommendations in this forum, but I've had 3 attempts at Walking Dead and still not got past episode 4.

These things can be highly subjective. I've just had a flick through the top 250 movies on IMDb, some of them wild horses couldn't make me watch, (I've seen about 75% of them) and a few of my favourites don't feature. These days I'm more into proper storytelling ( the crash band wallop type are getting lower on the list but still have a place ) and have watched more real life ones lately. 

I would watch the latest JFK film but these days am not prepared to pay over and above my current subscriptions. 😥 I have Sky (including movies) which also has Netflix, Peacock and now Paramount + (still not working) and have Prime, a fairly large base. Any decent free recommendations would be considered. 👍

The Sound of Music: #243 on the IMDb all time list, an absolute travesty. 🤣

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

On 11/4/2018 at 11:49 PM, RayL said:

I just finished "Dark" on Netflix. It's a German series, only 10 episodes and at first I had my doubts.Visually the series is amazing, I have somewhat of a passion for videography so that kept me there at first but in all honesty it is one of the best series I have watched lately. 

Gotta be honest, i'm fucking slow. Only watched first season so far, and that was about 2 years ago even thou friend suggested that this is must see multiple times 😄

Wouldn't even remembered whole series but came across new Sara and apparently it is inspired by Dark. Great record so gotta watch it...by end of year.

Edit: Double whammied spotify when i tried to do this:

Edited by Livertool

9 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

I usually watch something due to the clips shown or adverts, better still word of mouth, very rarely looking at ratings first. Years ago if I started watching something I would stick with it till the end, these days I can ditch something fairly quickly, but others can be a slow build up.  Game of Thrones took me three attempts to get past episode 4, becoming a big fan but only persisting because of recommendations in this forum, but I've had 3 attempts at Walking Dead and still not got past episode 4.

If I decide to watch something, I take it from season to season. Vikings was really great in the beginning, however then it started getting weirder and weirder and once the Rus attacked Scandinavia in the final season I was like:

200.gif

GoT was a superb show until the authors started to shit the bed. Same can be said about House of Card, before Spacey was #metoo'd.

10 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

I would watch the latest JFK film but these days am not prepared to pay over and above my current subscriptions. 😥 I have Sky (including movies) which also has Netflix, Peacock and now Paramount + (still not working) and have Prime, a fairly large base. Any decent free recommendations would be considered. 👍

Can't you rent via amazon or youtube? And then there's always another option...Johnny Depp Goodbye GIF

😆

1 hour ago, Livertool said:

Gotta be honest, i'm fucking slow. Only watched first season so far, and that was about 2 years ago even thou friend suggested that this is must see multiple times 😄

Wouldn't even remembered whole series but came across new Sara and apparently it is inspired by Dark. Great record so gotta watch it...by end of year.

Dark is also highly recommended, similar to Babylon Berlin. However with Dark, you better watch all three seasons back to back to back. Otherwise it might get confusing...

• Like 1
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

9 hours ago, WuDu said:

If I decide to watch something, I take it from season to season. Vikings was really great in the beginning, however then it started getting weirder and weirder and once the Rus attacked Scandinavia in the final season I was like:

200.gif

GoT was a superb show until the authors started to shit the bed. Same can be said about House of Card, before Spacey was #metoo'd.

I think in general the American shows push on too long and start to flounder, that's why I'm not so keen to go backwards now and start watching something more than 2-3 series old. Any reviews I do read tend to mention the downward trend in quality the longer a show goes on. The British series tend not to outstay their welcome but there are exceptions.

9 hours ago, WuDu said:

Can't you rent via amazon or youtube? And then there's always another option...Johnny Depp Goodbye GIF 

Renting might not be as expensive but it's still over and above my current subs. I used to get masses of stuff to watch at work on my phone till I got a sniffy letter from Sky about an illegal download, and not being very tech savvy (and a good citizen 😬) gave it up.😱

11 hours ago, Livertool said:

10 hours ago, WuDu said:

Dark is also highly recommended, similar to Babylon Berlin. However with Dark, you better watch all three seasons back to back to back. Otherwise it might get confusing...

I did start watching Dark for 3 episodes, decided it was going to be a high risk low reward endeavour so gave in. Is it really one of those I can have another go at?🤔

4 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

I think in general the American shows push on too long and start to flounder, that's why I'm not so keen to go backwards now and start watching something more than 2-3 series old. Any reviews I do read tend to mention the downward trend in quality the longer a show goes on. The British series tend not to outstay their welcome but there are exceptions.

The last British show I watched was "Bodyguard" with Robb Stark. Nothing special...

Yes, American show runners most of the time care more about making money and milking the cash cow instead of providing quality content. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are an exception so far, they get better and better. However the "normal" trajectory is for shows to start hot and then go down in quality once the seasons pile up. "Prison Break" is a fine example of this:

1. Season 1. Fresh idea, fresh faces  and just great to watch.
  2. First half of season 2. Still great, also made sense somehow.
  3. Second half of season 2. OK, now, they're adding too much of the conspiracy angle.
  4. Season 3. Milking the cash cow. Another prison, another breakout.
  5. Season 4. Full conspiracy show now but at least with a clear ending.
  6. Season 5. Years after the final season...Another prison, another breakout.  

The point is to stop watching when shows are getting stupid. Similar to House of Cards or Game of Thrones. Skip the final seasons and you're good.

Renting might not be as expensive but it's still over and above my current subs. I used to get masses of stuff to watch at work on my phone till I got a sniffy letter from Sky about an illegal download, and not being very tech savvy (and a good citizen 😬) gave it up.😱

You should download the Brave browser as it automatically blocks ads and popups. 

Gernerally speaking, isn't downloading a thing of the 00's? Isn't media consumption all about streaming nowadays...😉

I did start watching Dark for 3 episodes, decided it was going to be a high risk low reward endeavour so gave in. Is it really one of those I can have another go at?🤔

Great show, the ending also makes sense.

1 hour ago, WuDu said:

You should download the Brave browser as it automatically blocks ads and popups. 

Gernerally speaking, isn't downloading a thing of the 00's? Isn't media consumption all about streaming nowadays...😉

Great show, the ending also makes sense.

@WuDu At the time I was on a limited budget and only had a set data allowance per month for my phone. Streaming or watching say a live football match at work absolutely chewed up the data, so I used to download enough films or shows while on the home wi-fi to give me about 6 hours per shift of viewing. 😀

Dark seems to be highly recommended by you and others, time to give it a second go.

south park eyes GIF

• 4 weeks later...

When it comes to creating a certain atmosphere, before the show went to shit:

Also great due to the atmosphere that's created when they drive into Juarez.

For the Lolz:

• Haha 2

I can't believe I'm actually recommending some superherostuff for real, but honestly i gotta say i made the mistake of watching the 1st episode of season 3 as a first thing..

And had to start it from the beginning, and watch the damn production in 4 days. And not sad about it, because it's so alternative to common superhero bullshit that's impossible to watch imo. I'm no fan of wizardshit nor fantasystuff in general, but the mix with naive ideas and whole gory spectrum of humane flaws sure does deserve some credit. Great writing, great stuff 😍

Forget The OldMan, the tires of that ride flattened after first couple episodes and turned into blaablaa soap.

Far more greater story in this one for easy intellectual entertainment 🍻

Edited by Rushbie
  • Like 2

I love the wizard/fantasy stuff but it is becoming, and has been for a while, too much of a good thing. I love the superhero stuff as well but that is even more supersaturated.

Super Hero Mask GIF by Holly Logan

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Livertool said:

What is your fav series/ movie tone?

Not very original pick this one, but the whole opening scene is just so Goddamn powerful with the song and the imagery. Rest ain't bad either, as we all surely know 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Purps said:

Not very original pick this one, but the whole opening scene is just so Goddamn powerful with the song and the imagery. Rest ain't bad either, as we all surely know 🙂

@Purps Visuals are great, no doubt and I'm sure you like the boomer music as well (The Doors), however I don't know about that movie and the book as well. Fell asleep multiple times listening to Heart of Darkness. All in all, I find the movie a little pointless.

Here's the Convoy to Juarez scene:

Great atmosphere created. Also when we're talking about movie intros, how dare you not mention the ultimate classic:

Music working also very well here and in the whole movie...

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 8:18 PM, Livertool said:

Wow Twin Peaks! Forgot all about that. Went very weird towards the end. Great soundtrack.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:39 AM, Rushbie said:

Not my normal cup of tea and Butcher's accent is really going to grind on me but I'll give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking forward to two new series for a while but as the days draw nearer I may be losing a bit of enthusiasm. 

image.png.18fdaa4a5aefe815d1068c72b03bf13e.png 

Not quite sure what to expect from this. I tend to think second attempts after first big successes (forgetting the last series) are not usually as good.

image.png.2dea0164c80df105c04ca0b4f7a523ef.png

I've just finished rereading "The Hobbit", the first proper book I ever bought for myself, and watching the trilogy. I'm currently just about to finish book 1 of "The Lord of the Rings" (fourth reading)  and will watch the trilogy once more (third time) when I've finished all three books, should finish before this series starts but...the first misgivings are always preceded by the ominous words "based on".  Very hard to think of many based ons being as good as the original, let alone better, and the clamour of fans discontented voices is growing louder by the day. "Woke" "activists" "legacy" are being freely bandied about, and not positively. 😑

I'll be watching though...

the eye flames GIF

this could be an outright disaster.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an avid TV series and Box Set watcher - always have about 50 shows/series on the go at any one time. I just recently finished Justified. It takes me ages to finish things as I rotate them - so will usually do a season and then put it to back of queue. 

When I finish a TV series I do a little review on FB and give it a mark out of 10. Alas many series in the past it seems I forgot to rate or review but been keeping a list on my PC. I am a notoriously tight grader. Most things will get between 4-6 with me, below that I really did not like it - above that was really something that stood out and I enjoyed a lot. Nothing has ever gotten a 10 as there's always room for something better.

Any way here's my Ratings Key:

0 - SUICIDE IS PREFERABLE

1 - WILL SEND YOU TO SLEEP - PERMANENTLY!

2 - BORING AS HELL

3 - BAD

4 - IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO

5 - WORTH WATCHING

6 - GOOD

7 - GREAT

8 - SUPERB

9 - TOTALLY AWESOME - STRAIGHT OUTTA MOVIE HEAVEN

10 - BETTER THAN SEX!

So the series I've finished:

TV SHOWS & MINI SERIES FINISHED

Name – Last Episode

12 MONKEYS (2015–2018) – S4 E11 4

1864 (2014) – S1 E8 (in Danish/German with English subtitles) 4

AIR FORCE ONE IS DOWN (2013) – S1 E2 5

ALTERED CARBON (2018–Present) – S2 E8 5

ANGEL (1999–2004) – S5 E22 6

ANOTHER LIFE (2019–Present) – S2 E10 4

ASHES TO ASHES (2008–2010) – S3 E8 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

BAND OF BROTHERS* (2001) – S1 E10 7 *WWII 

BANSHEE (2013–2016) – S4 E8 5

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINISERIES (2003) – 2 Parts 6

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2004–2009) – S4 E20 neglected to rate & review

BEAVER FALLS (2011–2012) – S2 E6 4

BEHIND THE LINES (1985)  – S1 E7 n/a - (doc.)

BETWEEN THE LINES (1992–1994) – S3 E10 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

BODYGUARD (2018) – S1 E6 7

BRAVE NEW WORLD (2020) – S1 E9 4

BREAKING BAD (2008–2013) – S5 E16 6

BROTHERHOOD (2006–2008) – S3 E8 5

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (1997–2003) – S7 E22 6

CHERNOBYL (2019) – S1 E5 7

COLLATERAL (2018) – S1 E4 5

COLONY (2016–2018) – S3 E13 5

CONTAINMENT (2016) – S1 E13 (no S2 – show not renewed) 5

DAS BOOT* (2018–2020) – S3 E10  (in German/ French with English subtitles) 5 *WWII

DEEP STATE (2018–2019) – S2 E8 5

DEUCHLAND '83 (2015) – S1 E8 (in German with English subtitles) 7

DEUCHLAND '86 (2018) – S1 E10 (in German with English subtitles) 5

DEUCHLAND '89 (2020) – S1 E8 (in German with English subtitles) 6

DOGS OF BERLIN (2018) – S1 E10 (in German with English subtitles) 6

ENTOURAGE (2004-2011) – S8 E8 neglected to rate & review

FALLING SKIES (2011–2015) – S5 E10 neglected to rate & review

FARANG: DEAD MAN RUNNING (2017) S1 E8 (in Swedish with English subtitles) 6

FIREFLY (2002–2003) – S1 E14 4

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGTHS (2006–2011) –  S5 E13 5

FRINGE (2008–2013) – S5 E13 neglected to rate & review

FUGITIVES (20112013) – S2 E13 (in Spanish with English subtitles) 7 (Prófugos - org. title)

GENERATION KILL (2008) – S1 E7 5

GENERATION WAR* (2013) S1 E3 (in German with English subtitles) 8 *WWII

GREEN WING (20042007) – S2 E9 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

GREYZONE (2018) – S1 E10 (in Danish & Swedish with English subtitles) 5

GUNPOWDER (2017) S1 E3 5

HARD SUN (2018) – S1 E6 8

HEROES (2006–2010) – S4 E19 4

HEROES REBORN: DARK MATTERS (2015) – S1 E6 6

HEROES REBORN (2015–2018) – S1 E13 6

INFORMER (2018) – S1 E6 6

INVASION (2005–2006) – S1 E22 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

JUSTIFIED (2010–2015) – S6 E13 5

LIFE ON MARS (2006–2007) – S2 E8 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

LOST (2004–2010) – S6 E17 4

McMAFIA (2018) – S1 E8 5

MISSFITS (2009–2013) – S5 E8 8

OCCUPIED (2015–2017) – S2 E8 6

OUR WORLD WAR* (2014) – S1 E3 7 *WWI

PRESS (2018) – S1 E6 5

PRISON BREAK (2005–2017) – S5 E9 5

RESISTANCE (2014) – S1 E6 (in French/German with English subtitles) 5

REVOLUTION (2012–2014) – S2 E22 (no S3 – show cancelled) neglected to rate & review

ROMPER STOMPER (2018) – S1 E6 6

ROSWELL (1999–2002) – S3 E18 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

SALVATION (2017–2018) – S2 E13 4

SECRET STATE (2012) – S1 E4 5

SHAMELESS (2004–2013) – S11 E14 5

SLEEPER CELL (2005–2006) – S2 E8 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

SONS OF ANARCHY (2008–2014) – S7 E13 neglected to rate & review

SPARTACUS (2010–2013) – S3 E10 neglected to rate & review

SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA (2011) – S1 E6 neglected to rate & review

SS-GB* (2017) – S1 E5 5 *WWII

STAR WARS REBELS (2014–2018) – S4 E15 4

SUGAR RUSH (2005–2006) – S2 E10 neglected to rate & review

SURVIVORS (2008–2010) – S2 E12 (no S3 – show cancelled) neglected to rate & review

TEACHERS (2001–2004) – S4 E9 5

TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR SHRONICLES (2008–2009) – S2 E22 (no S3 – show cancelled) neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

THE AMERICANS (2013–2018) – S6 E10 (in English/Russian with English subtitles) 6

THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (2016) – S1 E2 4

THE INBETWEENERS (2008–2010) – S3 E6 neglected to rate & review

THE KILL POINT (2007) – S1 E8 5

THE LONG ROAD HOME (2017) – S1 E8 4

THE LOOMING TOWER (2018) – S1 E10 6

(Dan Brown's) THE LOST SYMBOL (2021) – S1 E10 5

THE MESSENGERS (2015) – S1 E13 (no S2 – show cancelled) 5

THE O.C. (2003-2007) S4 E16 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

THE RAID [Alemão] (2014)S1 E3 (in Portuguese with English subtitles) 5

THE SABOTEURS* (2015) – S1 E6 (in English, Norwegian, German & Danish with English subtitles) 5 *WWII

THE SAME SKY (2017) –  S1 E6 (in German with English subtitles) 4

THE SOPRANOS (1999–2007) – S6 E21 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

THE STRAIN (2014–2017) – S4 E10 6

THE WINTER WAR (1989) – S1 E4 (in Finnish with English subtitles) 4

THE WIRE (2002–2008) – S5 E10 9

TROY: FALL OF A CITY (2018) – S1 E8 4

ULTRAVIOLET (1998) – S1 E6 neglected to rate & review (pre FB groups)

UNDERBELLY (2008–2013) – S6 E8 6

UNDERBELLY: FAT TONY & CO (2014) – S1 E9 6

UNDERBELLY NZ: LAND OF THE LONG GREEN CLOUD (2011) – S1 E6 5

V (2009–2011) – S2 E10 (no S3 – show cancelled) neglected to rate & review

VALLEY OF TEARS (2020) – S1 E10 (in Hebrew and Arabic with English subtitles) 6

VIGIL (2021) – S1 E6 5

WATERSHIP DOWN (2018) – S1 E4 6

WHITE LINES (2020) – S1 E10 5

WOLF (BÖRÜ) (2018) – S1 E6* (in Turkish with English subtitles) 6 *Story is finished off in a 2hr long film under the same title.

WORLD ON FIRE* (2019) – S1 E7 6 *WWII

YEARS AND YEARS (2019) – S1 E6 4

X-COMPANY* (2015–2017) – S3 E10 6 *WWII

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, WuDu said:

When it comes to creating a certain atmosphere, before the show went to shit:

Also great due to the atmosphere that's created when they drive into Juarez.

For the Lolz:

Never seen the American 'House of Cards' but know it was a remake of a great British TV series I watched many many years ago - it also had 2 sequels - 'To Play The King' and can't recall third ones title off the top of my head. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...