Unibet Double Trouble (Don't bubble!)

SkilfulPoker

Hey all, I thought I would write a guide on how to play the Unibet Double Trouble MTT, which is an MTT you can enter if you've lost more than €20 in any given week. It pays a flat payout structure (€40) and is held every Tuesday at 6pm GMT sharp. So if you find yourself with a ticket to this tournament and want to have a go at turning your €20 loss into a €20 win here are my top tips! :cash::cash:

The most important detail of this tournament is the payout structure, because it's a flat 40 euro to the top 100 finishers, it plays more like a satellite than it does a regular MTT. With this in mind we can make some key adjustments... 👍

It's not about chipping up - it's about survival!

So this means we don't want to be taking marginally +ev (profitable) spots simply to chip up. Instead try to figure out who the tight players are (or better still, those that are sitting out) and attack their blinds, or go for some steals from late position. If the table is playing loose and you find your raises getting called with a high frequency, then just sit back and enjoy the ride, the structure is relatively deep (5k starting stack) so you are in no immediate rush. This is different to a conventional MTT, where every chip counts as you try to accumulate chips and make a run for the final table.

In the Double Trouble it doesn't matter if you finish 100th or 1st, you're equally a winner.

Don't Bubble the Double Trouble!

So as per the above advice I would suggest not opening too wide, playing tight ABC poker, and attacking weakness early on. For sure take some flops for <5% of your stack pre-flop but I wouldn't commit much more of your stack pre-flop unless you have a hand like TT+ AK+.

As the tournament progresses you need to keep an eye on your stack and adjust your play accordingly

Big Stack (30bbs+ or in ~ top 75 players)

If you have a big stack by all means bully the medium stacks if they are folding for a not very high percentage of your chip stack, but don't run any big bluffs. If you have a 40bb stack near the bubble and run a multi-street bluff, and lose 60% of your stack this could be the difference between you cashing (surviving the bubble) and busting out with nothing.

To take an extreme example of just how important it is to protect your big stack, if you are in the top 5 in chips and there are just 10 places left until the bubble, If you have to risk your whole stack vs another big stack I'd suggest folding AK or KK for sure preflop, you can also make a case for folding AA preflop in this position! Remember the whole point of this tournament is min cashing (because everyone that min cashes wins equally) - so you don't need to take any unnnescary risks.

Medium Stack (anything above ~ 15bb)

If you are the medium stack my advice is to keep an eye on the shorter stacks and really try to exploit the guys (or girls!) that are folding too much, players from my experience with shorter stacks in the middle to late phase of the the double trouble tend to love limp folding (don't ask me why!) - so if you see one of these players limp and the table folds to you, this might be a great spot to shove, you pick up 4bbs which could about 25% of your stack.

Short Stack (about 10 - 12 bbs or less)

If you're the short stack you need to be prepared to take a few more risks than you might in a regular MTT. Why? Because the bubble will last longer given the satelite like structure of the double trouble tournament. But keep a close eye on the lobby. If there are ten players left before the bubble and you are 20th from last , you obviously need to be taking less of a risk with your chips than if you are last in chips. Also as always pick your spots well.

If you have say 12 big blinds, you need to make a move at some point. If a player from EP opens and has 10bbs and you have a hand like 44 you should be folding this because it's very unlikely the EP player will fold and you are likely to be flipping, if on the other hand a big stack raises from late position for 2bb's these same cards would be a good opportunity to make a move, you're likely ahead of the big stacks opening range (unless you have been noticing they have been playing very tight) - and they are likely not wanting to risk throwing away 10bbs if they are already sitting on say 30-50bb+ given the flat payout structure.

Summary!

• Keep it tight ABC at the start, but don't be afraid to see flops for less than about 5% of your stack.
  • As the bubble approaches remember the adjustments we need to make from a regular MTT.
    • Don't take marginal spots for the sake of 'applying pressure' and 'chipping up' you just need to survive the bubble in this MTT not run it over :)
    • If you are a short stack recognise that the bubble will last longer than a regular MTT so make some moves in spots where you figure you are ahead of you opponents opening range and you may even still have some fold equity (e.g. shoving over a big stack late position raise).
    • If you are the medium stack, try to identify the short stacks who are playing too tight, or the players that like to limp fold and exploit them.
  • Don't forget to use your 1 time if you're all in ;)

Hope you found this little guide useful, I'm playing tonight, if you are too, good luck at the tables.

2 times unlucky, and I'm out.

1) I got A 3 and the Flop: 3 7 A, so i call the raise; Turn: 7, I call the raise; River: 9, call the raiseopponent has A Q, thanks to the pair of 7's he wins

2) I got BB 2 5, call raise preflop of 120 and the flop is 5 2 J; I call the raise of 3/4 pot; Turn: 8 and nothing suited on the table so I call the raise of 3/4 pot; River: 9, I check and let the other raise what he does and I reraise all in, he calls and shows two pairs J 9

@IanG94 wrote:

2 times unlucky, and I'm out.

1) I got A 3 and the Flop: 3 7 A, so i call the raise; Turn: 7, I call the raise; River: 9, call the raiseopponent has A Q, thanks to the pair of 7's he wins

2) I got BB 2 5, call raise preflop of 120 and the flop is 5 2 J; I call the raise of 3/4 pot; Turn: 8 and nothing suited on the table so I call the raise of 3/4 pot; River: 9, I check and let the other raise what he does and I reraise all in, he calls and shows two pairs J 9

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you weren't unlucky, you played your hands very poorly. In the first hand, you practically call your opponent down with a weak top-pair. In the second hand you call a a preflop bet in the BB with 52 (?????) and re-raise all in on the river with a weak 2-pair? In both cases, if you thought you had a hand (your 2pair), you should have raised (all-in) on the flop...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

It's been a while since I've played Double Trouble, but I remember the stacks being a lot shorter than 10bb as the bubble approached. The structure means you can be midway up the leaderboard even with 6bb or something ridiculous. Sometimes you have to cling on with 3bb or less, and you do NOT have to gamble just because you have <10bb. In many cases when the bubble finally bursts, the shortest stack has barely an ante left. It's a game where you can often fold to the money once you're in the top 40 positions or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to start a thread about this hilarity. Haha @FLASTEF today. I love watching chip leaders donk out of flat payment tournaments

. Such great play.

Some people suffer from FPS too much. Thanks guys, you always make it a fun tournament, and guarantee me a win.

It's just an illusion.

If you want to place it's simple.

1. Pay attention,and know your opponent's.

2.Play almost no hands. You only try to take pots of value. That you control. This means you may semi-bluff in position, or just steal pots against payers you know are weak or loose. You never chase.

3.NEVER call. Showdown is exempt from this rule, because you shouldn't be having any showdowns.

3.Play position only.

4.Play every hand like a monster.

5.Watch the leaderboard + Blind levels and do your math accordingly to asses your need to risk even having to play a hand.

6. At 150 players remaining let your timer run out every chance you have. The value of losing more players and seeing less blinds out weighs the rising blind levels.

Congratulations you just made 40 euros!

Then go lose twenty at cash and the rest sports bets. See you next Monday. ✌

It's just an illusion.

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize there's now almost 600 players on Double Trouble. 30 minutes of 3 min blinds gone, 10bbs. How is this still possible to cash? I remember the first one was like 120 players #easymoney. Do you member? I've got 3 more DT tickets, all I can do is try, I suppose.

On a similar note, does anyone know when Unibet is planning on introducing the 2nd Weekly DT? They did mention it a couple of times.

We have more players in Nov through Mar than we do the rest of the year, so we're going back into that cycle now.  There're actually fewer DT entrants now than there were at that earlier peak.  I'm going to wait until at least after Dec, to see how the 2.0 launch goes, before adding a second weekly tournament.  

dt.png.4faf0079b6e1feb76e19cf297dd83e22.png

As you say, I like the idea though.  I want to have the same ticket criteria, but add a second game on maybe a Saturday, so that people who can't make Tuesday have a second option.

Former head of poker @ Unibet

Archived