Never Let the Fear of Striking Out Prevent You from Playing the Game.

GR1ZZL3R

• 2 weeks later...

"Am I wasting my time playing poker?"

@Stubbe-Unibet   Wasting time playing poker? Well, that depends. If you're playing to win money, your figures would indicate you're wasting your time and it'd be better invested in studying the game. If you're playing for the entertainment primarily, it's a different story. Also, probably way too small volume to really comment on profitability  

Confusing isn't it?

@ValueHeavy    Imo Poker should be about having fun, even if you are slightly losing. It is really tough to be a winning player in this game (on a relevant sample size), and if our primary goal is driven by things we can't control, like profits on a small sample size, you will set yourself up for failure and disappointment. 
That's why it's better to have more controllable goals like amounts of volume, amounts of studying, working on tilt-control, etc. Things that will make you a better player, and should give you better results in the long run,
So ask yourself what the real reason is you are playing this game. And be honest with yourself. Based on that you can set achievable goals for yourself and work towards those.

Like the answer to many poker questions the short answer is "It depends." If by profitability you mean making a living or even a decent additional income then the answer is no, but after many years of  "probably break even," a euphemism for "loser," I do want to have fun have fun but at the same time show I can beat the game, if only for a tiny amount. I know my biggest problem by far is tilt control and it is the number 1 priority in my game right now. 

@GLENGYLE m8 everyone has had sessions like this and everyone has asked the same questions as you, for me personally its not about money, yes i keep a spreadsheet of every penny i spend and every game I play but if I win a 50c tourney for 18 euros im overjoyed with the winning feeling  just a smuch as a big score, one of the reasons i play a lot of SNGs is because i get that winning feeling so many times, MTTs can drag me down a bit as sitting for 4 hours then losing to a 2 outer is like a knife to my heart  , just play for the enjoyment and dont stress about the finances (as long as you are playing within your means) and im sure someone will tell me who said this " you cant enjoy the good times unless you experience the bad times" keep your chin up m8, take a wee break if need be as that can totally refresh you and get you raring to go again

As I've said it's mostly fun but to be honest getting some sort of volume in to get past the small sample bias just isn't fun for me. I'm really stuck between playing 1 or 2 tables to feel in control and 4 or more to even variance out but feeling less in control. One or 2 tables for 1 or 2 hours is what I enjoy, but I'll never get the volume in, any more and it simply isn't fun for me, and playing any mtt for 4 hours and not cashing is my idea of hell. I have won a €25 tourney over 8 hours though but never again thank you. Although I'm not keen on mtt's I do like the community aspect and feel as though I'm missing out not playing them, only 3 in this last series, but I suppose that's all part of the balancing act.  My 5 year anniversary on the community comes up on the 8th, so no more poker till then and a fresh start with a brand new blog. I used to try and chase likes and comments even though I said in my first blog it was for my own records and I've tried subject after subject and got no traction as it seems the community is slowly dying anyway, so from now on I'll write it as I see it. 

Thanks for all the responders, I really do prefer the long form, but I guess I'll have to live with the ever decreasing attention span of the majority.  Thank you.

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png