Dear Leo - thank you for listening

Pickleman

@Leo-Unibet

Just seen the schedule for UOS 13. It includes an Omaha tournament (E22/23/24) which starts at the earlier time and has 10 min blinds. Thank you for listening to us - this kind of thing is what makes Unibet the best.

Sadly I'm not free that night, but I really hope the tournament is a success and a decent structure Omaha tournament remains a feature of the UOS. 

Omahaphiles - if you want a decent structured major Omaha tournament make sure you promote this tourney! If these tournaments get loads of runners then Unibet will put more of them on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pickleman said:

@Leo-Unibet

Just seen the schedule for UOS 13. It includes an Omaha tournament (E22/23/24) which starts at the earlier time and has 10 min blinds. Thank you for listening to us - this kind of thing is what makes Unibet the best.

Sadly I'm not free that night, but I really hope the tournament is a success and a decent structure Omaha tournament remains a feature of the UOS. 

Omahaphiles - if you want a decent structured major Omaha tournament make sure you promote this tourney! If these tournaments get loads of runners then Unibet will put more of them on. 

Hey @Pickleman I hope it will be appreciated by many customers. Sorry to hear that you couldn't attend 🙂   

• 1 month later...

Just seen @GothMothlike this post and it reminded me that I wanted to see if there was any post-UOS analysis.

Obv I didn't play in the tournament, but I noticed that the earlier time/longer blinds didn't seem to push much more traffic to it. So do you feel it was a success, @Leo-Unibet?

One caveat to this is that I'd make the longer blind/earlier start Omaha tournament a freezeout rather than rebuy, and possibly make it the €25 stakes, not €50. Making it a rebuy makes it very expensive (less traffic), and longer, when the argument against having longer blind levels was that it made the tournament too long. So could that be an option next time?

BTW, one option I'd definitely try for the longer blinds structure is re-entry (with or without bounties). Omaha suits this format (as you're far more likely to risk going broke in Omaha), and on certain competitor sites I think the bounty with multiple re-entries is a winner. I'm guessing Unibet has a policy of not allowing more than one re-entry?

@Pickleman  I didn't play these series, but agree with your statements, as I am fan of PLO tournaments and like to play them regularly.

Even my only UOS 1st place was in one of the low PLOs 🙂 . It was decently structured during the first few levels, but lately the stacks were too shallow and this happens in lot of Omaha tourneys. The Deep Space is maybe the best in terms of gameplay. While the Sputniks are on the other side - becoming too long and boring towards the end. Maybe some UOS-like new tourney would become favorite to the omaholics here 😎

The deep space certainly starts well enough, but it's testament to just how important blind level is that even the 8m levels of deep space isn't quite enough towards the bubble. Hence my complaint that for a "blue ribband" series like the UOS, 6m levels are ridiculously short. But I agree that the later 12m levels of the Sputnik tend to drag a bit once you get to 4 or fewer players and the average stack size is back up again.

How about this structure

blind levels:

level 1-7: 12min

level 8-14: 10min

thereafter: 8m

Starting stack 10,000 chips

Up to 2 re-entries

late reg/re-entry: end of level 7 (i.e. 90mins)

[optional] bounty: 50%/50%

Even if you late reg, at level 8 you'll still have 65+BB.

Bubble should kick in around 3.5-4 hours, which is fine for a 6pm start with a good structure - and equal roughly to the better structured hold em tournaments. From there, things should be done in 6-7 hours total, and the average stack size should remain around 40-50BB all the way down, which is a good amount for an Omaha tournament (i.e. still a decision to make on the flop in a 3-bet pot)

I agree with all of the details, except the starting stack. 

My opinion is that it would be better to be smaller - 8 000 or even 6 000.

I have few considerations... If it's 10 000 , many players won't register for the first few levels and given their length this might mean a lot of later registrations, which isn't good, esp. for a new tournament. The other thing is that the lack of antes prevents the stacks to dwindle with the same rate as in NLHE. The last one is the speed of the gameplay - the players decisions take more time, thus the blinds rotate slower, but exactly for the same reason the levels should be longer(as you proposed) and especially until there is a room for a post-flop play. 

Yeah I think you're right. Given that it's a re-entry it should be 8000. I think it needs to be that rather than 6000 because Omaha should be deeper in general, and the blinds are basically fixed at 30/40/50 etc. So it's good to have a level or two where you have 200BB or so.

I was also wondering whether 10k was too much because when I played about with the average stack projection on the bubble I was guessing only 25% reentries and I think it would be higher than that. So 8k starting stacks works against that.

What d'you reckon @Leo-Unibet?

On 10/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Pickleman said:

Just seen @GothMothlike this post and it reminded me that I wanted to see if there was any post-UOS analysis.

Obv I didn't play in the tournament, but I noticed that the earlier time/longer blinds didn't seem to push much more traffic to it. So do you feel it was a success, @Leo-Unibet?

One caveat to this is that I'd make the longer blind/earlier start Omaha tournament a freezeout rather than rebuy, and possibly make it the €25 stakes, not €50. Making it a rebuy makes it very expensive (less traffic), and longer, when the argument against having longer blind levels was that it made the tournament too long. So could that be an option next time?

BTW, one option I'd definitely try for the longer blinds structure is re-entry (with or without bounties). Omaha suits this format (as you're far more likely to risk going broke in Omaha), and on certain competitor sites I think the bounty with multiple re-entries is a winner. I'm guessing Unibet has a policy of not allowing more than one re-entry?

Hey @Pickleman I don't know if I would call the longer Omaha a success, it was doing as expected. We have during UOS a mix of 25s and 50s, rebuy reenter and freezeout.
The reason why I went for a bit higher buyin with option to reenter again is with a freezeout and just €25 buyin, the guarantee wouldn't been so great. Let's see what I do next time. If we do reentries, there are nothing stopping me from allowing multiple re-entries

3 minutes ago, Leo-Unibet said:

Hey @Pickleman I don't know if I would call the longer Omaha a success, it was doing as expected. We have during UOS a mix of 25s and 50s, rebuy reenter and freezeout.
The reason why I went for a bit higher buyin with option to reenter again is with a freezeout and just €25 buyin, the guarantee wouldn't been so great. Let's see what I do next time. If we do reentries, there are nothing stopping me from allowing multiple re-entries

Good stuff. I think multiple re-entries is definitely the way to go with Omaha MTTs (regardless of buy in amount). There's so much variance it makes sense.