Q. Why to free bets have an expiry?

I've always wondered this and just really curious why the industry feels the need for such short shelf lifes of free bets earned?

I've always felt they should be like cash and just sit on an account till used or at least have a year standard validity. 

I feel customers that take a break are unjustly penalised by having such things expire. 

When a sports book (or rather if a sports book) starts givinga year as standard on expiry or never expiring them then they will get my buisness more and more that is for sure.

Hey @bluelionman,

Exactly for the reason that it's not cash. Some promotions that give out a freebet are targeted for certain events, hence if setting the expiry date to further than the event itself it loses the purpose completely. Same applies to poker tickets, bingo vouchers etc etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm just sore as I found an expired £10 free bet in my account history when I started using my account again and reason I never used it is I had a bad wipe out about a year  prior so took a break from gambling afterwards and just ended up being a longer break than I even envisaged. Just every time I look at promotions I see it there expired so it reminds and annoys me. Shame it can't be reactivated (Goodwill) or at least be deleted so it don't remind me all the time what I missed out on. Perhaps clients should be able delete history of past expired offers?