Stop taking players funds and using verification to keep thier money

STEVE_LEWIS

So Unibet was suggested to me via Youtube by one of the senior poker players, I register with the site, add some funds and then get banned from playing.

I recieve a notification that I bneed to upload spome douments, which of course I do, we are now on day 5, still no verification, still account is blocked from playing and above all else, still holding my money which as far as I can see is more akin to theft rather than anything else.

Why do UNIBET think its ok to hold players funds when we are prevented from playing, As im a reasonable human being, I understand the need for checking that players are who they say they are, I get that players need to offer Unibet relevent proofs, but what I dont get is why Unibet feel its acceptable to wait for a player to fund their playing account and then freezer thier account, NOT 100% SURE THAT THIS IS Legal.

can someone advise and what the best course of action is or should I just report the site to my bank and move back to GG poker, as they seem to operate legally.

• Like 3

@STEVE_LEWIS, welcome to the community, and welcome to Unibet poker! :)

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I just want to set a couple of things straight:

1. It hasn't been 5 days. In fact, it hasn't even been 3 days yet.

2. The documents were reviewed just a few hours after you sent them (at 2 in the night - I'd call that a pretty speedy service!). Unfortunately, only your ID and card were approved. The proof of address was rejected, and on the 20th (still less than 24 hours after you sent the documents) an email was sent to inform you about this.

I can't see the document details - I own the poker product and don't have anything to do with this part of the experience - but you can reach out to CS to get further details.

It's not just okay to freeze your funds, it's a legal requirement - I of course get it can be very frustrating, but that's a different discussion. There are many reasons as to why it can happen, and one of them is anti-money laundering, and we'd be in breach of several rules, if we just freely let you withdraw, when there was reason to request documents. It's quite simply impossible to request all documents before you deposit, as we can't predict your playing behavior, deposit sizes, deposit methods etc. etc. You can be requested to send in documents even when you've been a customer for years; if you for instance win big and the local regulation requires us to verify your identity before processing the withdrawal (is the case in all markets operated under the Maltese license).

NB GG Poker is quite an interesting operator to highlight in this regard, considering their recent cases on 2+2 and the like :)

• Like 2

Poker Product Manager

As an auditor myself I can tell you it is ok to freeze account for documents , what is not ok is to freeze account for so long. It sounds straight away dodgy as any other bookmaker makes decisions on verifications in minutes, maximum couple hours. You are holding it for days , even weeks , god knows what are you doing with people's money on that freeze moment. Stocks, investing? Who knows. But it is definitely not alright. I submitted my documents and still nothing is accepted, it's frustrating as you treat people as money launderers but in general it is you who are doing dodgy things. I hope my verification will be accepted in next couple hours.

• Like 1

Hi, I am in exactly same situation. Joined up and deposited money and was allowed to play increasing my bank lol then banned from playing until verification. I did this and waited 2 days only to find my address verification has been rejected, now waiting for it to be reviewed again  , haven't been able to play for 4 days now. What a joke. Think I will withdraw money and play a decent site 

@benetoo, can see it's less than 24 hours since the documents were requested. Don't have access to see when you submitted them. Today is a public holiday in many countries, and our operations aren't running on full speed either, so it can take a bit longer than usual.

@Geoffdonna, can't see any details about yours, but hope it gets resolved soon.

I'm off myself today, so can't follow up on anything. Merry Christmas!

Poker Product Manager

@Stubbe-UnibetI submitted everything yesterday evening. If you know you won't be able to check documents straight away why are you even asking for them in the first place especially when my all documents were provided when registering, my cards, Paypal, skrill, neteller, all are verified, how am I money launderer?:) in addition I'm not even winning player , It doesn't make any sense and now this vibe is killing all the mood for holidays as I can't access nor bet my money.

So you're saying we should suspend the account and wait to request the documents, further postponing everything, because we don't have the same resources for document verification today? I can't see that any documents were provided back when you registered the account, but again, I have limited access in this regard.
I never said you were a money launderer- it was mentioned an example in a previous post that wasn't a reply to you. There are many other reasons for document requests :)

Poker Product Manager

@Stubbe-Unibet Is it normal for a company which made 509 million profit in 2019 not to have resources to check few photos and documents in such longs periods? There are loads of bad comments about verification process in Unibet as it takes ages and asking so many different documents. I understand it is procedure for anti money laundering but you should be able to handle this way better and much faster as many many even smaller bookmakers check documents instantly , maximum couple of hours. You personally know it is a big issue in Unibet and you should admit that. Again I hope I'll get verified in couple of hours as it is really pissing me off treated as criminal and not able to access my own money as my account is in negative deposit/withdrawal balance. I added statement of paypal for you to see that I don't do anything wrong , I am just regular player.

@ReCorpH Can you please make sure my documents would be checked faster? I uploaded ID , address and both held to face as well, as well as paypal statement, revolut statement, hsbc statement. I can't wait that long like other people are saying (weeks,months) for my withdrawals to come back. At this point I dont even care about the account, you can block it , just please send me my withdrawals, I want my money back that I would have it for Christmas, it is just 240 gbp but it is really important for me to get them back ASAP.

Hey @Geoffdonna, the document you've submitted is not sufficient, it's missing information. You should have received instructions about this. :) 

@benetoo I can check the case but can not promise I can get it reviewed any faster.

I want to add my name to the list of users that have been mistreated by Unibet. Their customer service is atrocious. They have taken €1800 from me (which I gambled up to €3200 and then tried to withdraw) and are not giving me any indication as to when I will see my money again. They have lost me as a customer whether or not I see my money again.

Since experiencing these problems, I googled "unibet withdrawal issues" and see that I am not the only customer that they are mistreating. In summary my situation is this:

• I opened my Unibet account in December. I deposited €1800. I was not asked to provide verification documents at this stage.
  • I placed two bets. Both were odds on shots. Both won. This increased the balance to €3200.
  • I tried to withdraw the €3200 but was told I needed to provide verification documentation, which I did on 20th December (13 days ago). The Unibet site says that the verification usually only takes a few hours "but can take up to 48 hours during busy periods".
  • I have not heard anything from Unibet since uploading my documentation. I decided to reach out to them today through Chat / Support. I was told that Unibet needed to call me as part of the verification process but they could not tell me when they would call me. I asked if it would definitely be in January 2021 but they could confirm this

I am astounded at how unhelpful they are being. I feel like had I not reached out to Unibet, they would have kept my money and not gotten back to me. They may still keep my money. They have all the power.

To be unable to confirm the month that they will get back to me is completely unacceptable and disrespectful. No company should treat its customers like this. They are creating hassle for me (such as having to make this post).

I would strongly recommend anyone who is reading this to leave Unibet - or at least google "unibet withdrawal issues" before deciding to stay.

• Like 1