GR1ZZL3R'S Diary Of A Fun Punter

GR1ZZL3R

Preparation is the key.

I had one of those nights that come along every couple of months or so. I'd had a couple of hours asleep then found myself wide awake, 😩 so I did the usual, got up, had a cup of tea and fired up a practise session on the roulette table, about 4 hours.

I picked my horses, did a bit of housework then onto the poker tables. Had an hour of 2 tabling my NLHE cash ticket, made a small plus, then another nightmare session of PLO. I think that ticket's on it's last legs. 😭

I watched the horseracing, 2 winners but no real progress with the bankroll, had my tea, then tiredness took over so a quick nap, no more than about half an hour, but enough. So onto the community tourneys. Funilly enough I ran well in the PLO, managed 11th place just outside of the money, and a small cash in 6th and one bounty in the PKO. 🙂

Meanwhile I was playing in the €25 UOS Big Bang with a ticket I'd picked up, I think from a promo tourney. After about 4 hours I was about average stack, looked in the lobby and realized the tourney was set for 6-8 hours play, so still along way to go. 🙄 Anyway, I got shoved on and called with my 77, they held against AK, that put me up to about mid thirties with about 90 left.

The rest was epic. 

1377186821_Screenshot(216).thumb.png.667ff7e24b5c24015ed94e2aec21f34a.png

Eight hours twenty two minutes, the longest session ever on UB, biggest ever cash in tourneys, etc etc etc.

That'll pay for a few more slow horses. 🏇😄👍

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
  • Like 11

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

I missed the update deadline last week, part of my continuing haphazard results keeping, but I am up to date in the seperate horseracing and poker threads so here are my thoughts so far. 

I'm going to keep the horseracing thread seperate, that is the most time consuming and now my priority, luckily keeping the winners flowing slowly but surely, and automatically updating every day. So far about £10 in profit.

I've updated the cash game challenge today after another steady week but I'll move that to this main thread, so far ahead of the game but a long way to go.  Nearly €15 up but of course no actual money to come ( if any 🤔 ) for quite a while yet.

The roulette is slowly but surely losing it's attraction, I'm simply spending too long on it and not getting the same buzz, although still making money.

416591645_Screenshot(261).png.cdd9de66724da9e16928218240aa95f7.png

As I am  fun punter I think it's a matter of trying to strike the right balance. The roulette is providing good profit but it just feels like work, while the racing and now target setting in poker are simply much more enjoyable. Hitting the first number played is terrific, but then playing a long session of catch up makes me wonder. Of course a long losing run on the horses or a prolonged downswing on the tables might alter my perception, but grinding 12 tables for 10 hours a day is not my idea of fun anyway. If I knew I was a long term winner at poker, that may be a different matter, but fun is my top priority, so each aspect of gambling moves up and down the pecking order as results come in.

Highlight of the week month year career was of course the tourney win, only played because I happened to bag a ticket from somewhere 🤣 and I've still masses of shop points waiting to be spent, maybe on some mtt's, but not on 8 hour ones. 

Run Good and Happy Punting. 🏇 💂‍♂️

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
Screenshot showing twice!!!!
  • Like 4

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

1222114635_Screenshot(266).thumb.png.4193f8571faba0f8f458a09eb6564ef1.png

One tourney played, one tourney won, maybe a new career beckons! 🤣

130th overall. Shows what sheer dedication hard work study luck can do. 🤣

• Like 2

POKER 

On the poker front I'm mainly concentrating back on the cash tables, now up to four tables at a time and taking it very steadily, so far managing to stay in front. About 700 flops seen on the €40 ticket over three weeks but I expect that rate to increase now, but with 4 tables I'm not as tempted to play some mediocre hands, especially out of position, it's all a matter of balance.

On the Supermoon front I have 10 x €2 tickets, all won from flips so far, but again, bad record keeping, I'm not sure how much I've spent, roughly €12. In any case I'm tempted to just flip these again, if I don't get any further I'd probably stop playing them. My other projects are taking up a fair bit of time and during the evening I'd rather chill out a bit more. To be fair the target tourney is not the type I'm interested in, a rebuy PKO. I'm of the old fashioned school, one shot at a time, a level playing field for bank balances if you like. At the moment there are very few low stakes freeze outs but I see a thread calling for more, I'll get on board that. 

HORSERACING 

I can't complain so far. This is taking up the majority of my time but results have improved after a slow start so it's a highlight and nothing I can tinker with really. The selection process is in place, the staking progression is in place, the horses just have to run fast enough.

ROULETTE

I'm basically going to be playing one session per day, stopping immediately on a winner and stopping if the first run doesn't produce that win. I've done this for the last few days, so far no losers yet so fingers crossed.

133206541_Screenshot(350).png.e8ff667ccbcd22404a7888c86c971603.png

Poker:                   Bought a €40 ticket, about 16 hours play, returned a theoretical €12 but no actual cash yet.

Horseracing:       Invested about £120, returned about £52, time spent probably 60 hours.

Roulette:              Spent about £350 for about £110 return over about 20 hours play.

I'm more than happy with all the results, roulette being by far the best so far but I've always got that niggling feeling I'm riding a lucky variance wave. That's true of poker and racing as well but I feel more comfortable with those having the final say in wether to bet or not, and as these are fun punting stakes for the time being I'll carry on as I am. I really do think poker is way above my pay grade, I'm simply never going to invest the time and amount of study to ever climb the ranks, a couple of hours a day for the racing is quite enough, and I don't think I can take the roulette any further, I'll win or lose with what I've got.

OTHER NEWS

I renewed my driver's license yesterday, I haven't heard the rats for weeks, the rockery is blooming but nothing like I hoped for originally, and a few weeks of Euros to come. Happy days.

Fun punting all!  🏇  💂‍♂️

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

The end of another month so about time for an update. 

POKER

Just a continuing source of frustration. The cash ticket was over €70 at one stage, things were looking good, then I hit the wall. I'm not going to bang on about all the bad beats and suckouts, it may be good to vent from time to time but ultimately it doesn't get you anywhere. All I will say is that I wasn't playing any differently, maybe 4 tables is too many for my old and feeble mind, but when you flop top set, flop a straight, flop the nut flush, and yet still manage to lose, it hurts. I know without a doubt my major weakness is tilt, the raging red mist at the unfairness of it all descends and it seems there's nothing I can do to control it, despite the books and videos. Maybe I'm just not mentally suited to the game despite moderate success over the years, but there is hope to be found (I hope.) 

I've bought another €40 cash ticket. * 

GIF by BBC Earth

I know, I know, what on earth am I doing. 

I think playing to targets doesn't help. I've been aiming for the 60 flops per day for the penalty hero promo, playing too many tables to push forward too fast, and I was trying to end the ticket before the new Game Lab came out, aiming for a total reset. No more, from now on it's 1 table only, playing for no time limits but only as long as I want, and shutting down if I feel under pressure. I have 71 penalty hero tickets, I shall use them today and if I get a few more, so be it, if not then never mind. If I don't reach level 7 on the loyalty trail ( 🤣 ) then never mind. No more targets, for promos or loyalty, playing at my own pace when and for how long I want, I think I've already overcome 50% of my mental issues. (Was that a target? 🤔 )

Tourneys are still an issue for me, I don't see a lot I want to play so simply won't. All my Supermoon tickets were flipped, I got as high as a few €10's but no more. I still have some UO Tour tickets but don't know wether to bother playing them, but will still play any community or special events as and when.

HORSERACING

This has gone on the back burner for a month or so, I'm venturing out more now restrictions are being lifted, but still monitoring results. I'm about £50 up from the last series and about £70 up from the previous run, so £100 is set aside for the next series, maybe into the autumn.

ROULETTE

This has gone the same way as the racing. I withdrew all my roll from GR*SV*N*R due to them messing about with deposit bonuses, and have done the same with P*DDYP*W*R, they increased the minimum on my favourite practice table from 10p to a pound, outrageous. I'd built my last deposit of £30 to over a hundred and was about to step up to 20p a shot, but not now. 😢  Again, this isn't a permanent halt, just biding time till I can give it more attention. 

I think I was too fixated on building three bankrolls, spending up to 10 hours or more a day on these three branches rather than having fun, the main object for me. I'm slowing down from now and refocussing on the fun aspects. 

Happy Fun Punting. 💂‍♂️

€1.83 ahead from a (very) short session. 🥸

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• Andy-Relax changed the title to GR1ZZL3R'S Diary Of A Fun Punter

POKER

1793751478_Screenshot(636).png.72b00153f6252dfb54f3b679eba1e983.png  

1979618587_Screenshot(635).png.697f24704ff05f7ef68b1b59dc0c7c86.png 

ROULETTE

1711298650_Screenshot(632).png.251cb3430eee2ad1c04063ba9f8e1054.png 

RACING

1772624922_Screenshot(637).png.727767a8f082090d78f1430a887ae37c.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly more in depth analysis to follow.

😀

• Like 5

This one almost caught me by surprise, only a few spins gone and a bet came up while I still had my spreadsheet covering half the table. Almost missed the screenshot, one hit wonder. 😬

1561226798_Screenshot(641)_LI.thumb.jpg.5b69e1feda6c0b5109eef45634411ef1.jpg

• Like 3

Following a podcast by Doug Polk and Olivier Busquet on cheating, does anyone use, or admit to using, cheat sheets, primarily pre flop, the general opinion was pre flop was mostly OK. I can't say I actually use them but I do have the top 40 hands listed while I'm playing, updating them with wins and losses. Saves a lot of time afterwards ( and I don't have to count hands now if I remember to note how many I've played before starting 👍 ) and stops a little boredom creeping in while I'm still 2 tabling.( Don't shout out but I'm ahead the last few days. ) 🤣

1447312345_Screenshot(657).png.2a1a12c57c510e7a645aa77552da7e9c.png 

I basically have wins and losses, biggest win and loss, and total winnings and losses, automatically updated with the new Sheets Functions I'm learning. At least it keeps me happy! 😁

I'm not doing any  🏇 betting at the moment but will restart 1st August. 

I'm not going to discuss the roulette until as and when the regression to the mean hits and there's some sort of downswing, hopefully not too severe. 🤔

Rocky Two has been growing all summer...............

191942187_Screenshot(662).thumb.png.84fae240da57f612b60c210ac0da0381.png 

451023944_Screenshot(663).thumb.png.7eeb1a989dc4a642c2b4cecd6e1c9437.png 

...............and Rocky One now needs some interesting pieces of wood or stone.

1667012089_Screenshot(664).thumb.png.8765f363d74ab0d20c5517b73e8ff852.png

I'm going away for a few days in August, I might be smuggling some rocks across the border. 🕵️‍♀️

Fun Punting all. 💂‍♂️

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
  • Like 6

My first thought was "Holy crap this guy runs good with his big starting hands", but then realized that those numbers also include preflop wins.... Still probably running nice I think.

Good to see Rocky had a beautiful baby. Wish I didn't miss the birth of it, but better late than never. 🙂👍

Edited by Purps
  • Haha 2

@Purps That's another question I forgot to ask, how do players count their winning hands? I used to dismiss any hand not seeing the flop but then If there's a bet, a raise and I re-raise and win 50c preflop I've actually played the hand so count it as a win. If I raise (very rarely limp) get three bet  and shoved then fold I count it as a loss, so only counting hands where I've voluntarily put money in the pot. With AA in the bb and everyone folds I "win" 2c but don't count it. 🤬

Not having a particularly good session this morning, couldn't get going on one table and letting my stack dwindle, when one small ambition was completed. 🥸 

1017640570_Screenshot(672)_LI.thumb.jpg.93583612ef2f6a6207447c75415e3ba4.jpg   

1232751667_Screenshot(671)_LI.thumb.jpg.2a78133f167a22913fe09c39823ad162.jpg

Top table was a shove and a call, bottom table villain just kept betting and I was willing to be stacked or carry on. 🤣

First time ever winning with the same hand on both tables. 😲

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
  • Like 3

@Pionrj Is this enough run good?

The delightful Megan has joined the very exclusive 1-1 club, first bet hits. 😲

I thank you both. ❤️🤣

1399475806_Screenshot(699)_LI.thumb.jpg.d928eb7cff90121fabef7e43eeaed6b2.jpg 

Edited by GR1ZZL3R
  • Like 2