Cuteraven poker stuff

CuteRaven

18 minutes ago, CuteRaven said:

Losing so much at Omaha made me tempted to play more PLO and try to learn the game properly. I'm considering starting some sort of 4€ stakes PLO bankroll challenge at some point (especially when there is so little PLO content on Unibet community).

I have very little experience with PLO. I did go through a stage of playing it live once the Omaha pro's had given me some pointers and I did reasonably well for the small amount I played (just ran good I think) mixed in with a little dealers choice.

My impression though is that PLO is the gambling version of poker for adrenaline junkies. Yes it's fun but it can also be very brutal with even bigger swings than NLH i think. No expert, not even average at it. And actually worried about having to see 50 flops for the August challenge 😆

In the end I busted in 6th place and cashed for 52.21€ (last hand I jammed AK for about 10 bigs and got called by 55).

I think my all-ins were also justified ICM-wise, but this one I was a bit unsure off. I had a read that villain was jamming pretty light:

321639926_AJtoughdecision.thumb.png.40744c4718f951102bafa3c5a5da7006.png

Firstly, how do you get the replay video on here like that?

I'm not doing the in depth calcs you did because I would still be working it out now. At best i would do a rough ICM and then likely ignore it if it didn't say what I wanted it to and was somewhere near.

What were the pay jumps?

I think given your read, his table position and him being joint shorty and your holdings, my chips are going in before his even land. Unlucky.

BTW, funny story: 

Hilarious!

GL with the move and break if you take one.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 4:12 AM, AbvUrPlayGrd said:

My impression though is that PLO is the gambling version of poker for adrenaline junkies. Yes it's fun but it can also be very brutal with even bigger swings than NLH i think.

I think the edges in PLO are quite big if you know how to play. But yeah the variance is brutal like you said.

I thought about it some more. I still kind of want to learn PLO but I'm realizing more and more that I don't really like cash games (and I'm not really good at cash games), so I probably won't play much of PLO on Unibet at least where it's mostly cash. Can you please add Omaha Hexapro @Stubbe-Unibet? 😅

Firstly, how do you get the replay video on here like that?

Looks like you already figured it out but I just took a screenshot.

What were the pay jumps?

445636992_payjumpsbubblebuster.png.5566af22ce5d59ea9c87c19233af2fc7.png

I'm not doing the in depth calcs you did because I would still be working it out now.

It is a bit cumbersome admittedly but it's relatively easy to do in the end.

If we have:

F = value of your stack when you fold (you can get from an ICM calculator)

W = value of your stack when you call and win (you can get from an ICM calculator)

L = value of your stack when you call and lose (you can get from an ICM calculator)

x = the chance that you win when you call (so 1-x is the chance that you lose)

Then we find the situation where the EV (expected value of stack sizes) of calling is bigger than the EV of folding:

F < x * W + (1 - x) * L

And this equation can be rearranged to solve for x, which is how often you need to win the all-in for the call to be profitable:

(F - L)/(W - L) < x

This equation ignores the chance of chopping, but chopping changes the stack sizes very little so I usually ignore it (for example if you are chopping 10% of the time against villains range, and winning 45% of the time, I just treat this as if I was winning 50% of the time and ignore the chops).

Hopefully this makes sense (I didn't want to make the explanation too long), I just thought it was worth explaining for you or anyone else if people were curious. But of course using some proper ICM range calculator if you can afford one (I can't) is a lot easier 😂

• Like 1

@CuteRaven Thanks but I'm still not doing those. Only times I've used ICM was in final table chops. I just do a rough calculation during a game which goes something like...  If I lose this hand will I be fucked? No, they're going in. Yes, but it's a really pretty hand and probably prettier than theirs, they're going in. Something along those lines 😁

The screenshot thing BTW. I was sure it was actually a video that i was able to play as if it was a replay of a hand. Perhaps it was someone else's post and I got mixed up but that's what i would like to be able to do. Post a video replay of the hand instead of screenshots.

• Like 1

A little update on the poker:

Looks like despite everything going on I still find time to play poker and am enjoying it. So much for "taking a break" lol.

On Thursday I lost over 100€ at the deepstack legend. Most of it was in a hand played last minute in a 4bet pot heads up where I had KQo as the out of position player. Flop came KQT and the money went in on the flop, villain had AJs for the flopped straight (whoever won that pot was basically guaranteed Deepstack legend victory).

Getting in 1000 BB with top 2 might seem silly, but I've seen people gamble it up with all kinds of crap in the last minutes of the promotion with the additional equity of the 100€ cash ticket, so I thought villain could easily have AA or JJ or AK or J8 or whatever. 😄

BR was about 120€ after that. I've been able to get it back to 246.07€ at the time of writing from playing 4€ SNGs (and one 10€ buyin fireball tournament that I came second in just now that I joined because it was still in overlay 😛).

I've been wondering recently what makes me so much better at SNGs (and maybe tournaments too) than cash games. I'm not saying I'm an expert at either but anyway... Would be interesting to hear your opinions on what you think makes someone better in one format or the other. Here are my thoughts:

1. In cash games you get worse pot odds to call because of rake. For example if the rake is 5%, and you are considering calling a pot sized river bet, the pot odds are the same as if the pot size was 1.11x the pot in an unraked game. It doesn't sound like much of a difference but I think it adds up. If you call a bit too much in SNGs for example, you are a pretty big calling station in cash games.

2. In cash games you aren't in any rush to build your stack. In SNGs waiting for a big hand doesn't work very well as a strategy, because the blinds go up. On the other hand in an SNG the worst thing that can happen if you play too aggressive and make a bad bluff is that you bust, in a cash game you can lose 200 BB and all your session profits.

3. In cash games there is no "moment" to pause, you just have to decide to end the session yourself. SNGs on the other hand end at some point. For me it's a bit easier to end a SNG session soon enough than a cash session for this reason.

4. Players dropping out and getting closer to winning also keeps it more exiting and engaging for me. There's a clear "storyarch" to it lol. Cash games feel much more like a grind to me.

Overall I would say that cash games suit more analytical and sane people, whereas SNGs and tournaments suit the overaggressive adrenaline junkie degens like me better. Of course that's a pretty big generalization 😄 (and I'm not trying to say that one format is better than the other, I just find it interesting).

On 8/7/2022 at 1:23 AM, AbvUrPlayGrd said:

Yes, but it's a really pretty hand and probably prettier than theirs, they're going in

Well...I jammed 67s for about 20 bigs on the button against a cutoff minraise in an SNG today. I still think my 67s was prettier than my opponents AA but it didn't help me win the pot unfortunately :D. Maybe a somewhat unnecessary punt... But at least people won't be folding to my jams as much if they see stuff like that 😉

1177224121_67spunt.thumb.png.74115a9091cf1147d108d442ce1f3702.png

On 8/7/2022 at 1:23 AM, AbvUrPlayGrd said:

Post a video replay of the hand instead of screenshots.

That would be awesome but I don't think it's possible.

• Like 2

Nice BR recovery. It's really hard to get it back and there is an argument that you never really get back what you lost. At the same time nobody can ever just keep winning and it's also possible that losing can have a positive affect on the way you play as well as negative, so who knows.

I'm about the same down and looking at probably giving myself a break from cash for now. Some of that loss is messing around with other stuff and not being disciplined enough to stick to just cash ( I blame the missions) but my patience playing cash isn't what it should be. You wouldn't believe how patient I USED to be.

Your question on SNG/TC v Cash. 

I think your take on it pretty much sums it up. I don't really think most people can mix the 2 very successfully either, for a number of reasons, many of which you've mentioned but it really requires different attitudes and tactics. Also the risk v reward element is different.

The end point is almost set with a tournament play but the biggest attraction I think is the final table,  the winning of the prize, the kudos. That doesn't exist with cash. 

Some people say to play tournaments like a cash game and vice versa. I don't really think that works either. Not sure if that's relevant ,just came to mind.

Myself i'm going to make a decision this week on whether or not to continue with cash games or just set some targets for tournaments/sng's . It's really what I prefer and what I was best at. So I may get the WD40 out and give it a go because doing both doesn't work.

45 minutes ago, CuteRaven said:

Overall I would say that cash games suit more analytical and sane people

I shouldn't be anywhere near a cash table then! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CuteRaven said:

On Thursday I lost over 100€ at the deepstack legend. Most of it was in a hand played last minute in a 4bet pot l

What did you start with on the table and did you have to reload. If I start with €4, run it up to €16 then lose it all I've only lost €4 not €16, please clarify. 🤔

1. In cash games you get worse pot odds to call because of rake. For example if the rake is 5%, and you are considering calling a pot sized river bet, the pot odds are the same as if the pot size was 1.11x the pot in an unraked game. It doesn't sound like much of a difference but I think it adds up. If you call a bit too much in SNGs for example, you are a pretty big calling station in cash games.

Great point. 👍 The carrot guy says move up in stakes at cash, at the lower levels you're crippling any win rate with rake, a point I've never considered (or even thought about). How many low stakes grinders have?

2. In cash games you aren't in any rush to build your stack. In SNGs waiting for a big hand doesn't work very well as a strategy, because the blinds go up. On the other hand in an SNG the worst thing that can happen if you play too aggressive and make a bad bluff is that you bust, in a cash game you can lose 200 BB and all your session profits.

3. In cash games there is no "moment" to pause, you just have to decide to end the session yourself. SNGs on the other hand end at some point. For me it's a bit easier to end a SNG session soon enough than a cash session for this reason.

I've always played cash simply for the time versatility aspect. Losing too much, stop. Winning too much 🤔 (scared to play huge pots) stop. Getting tired, stop. Etc: etc: etc. If you're in some sng's or mtt's you have no control of the time aspect. 

4. Players dropping out and getting closer to winning also keeps it more exiting and engaging for me. There's a clear "storyarch" to it lol. Cash games feel much more like a grind to me.

Cash can be a bit of a grind though I don't let it, but the story to me is picking who you can attack against, who you have to defend against, who do you leave alone, even "Should I stay or should I go?"

Overall I would say that cash games suit more analytical and sane people, whereas SNGs and tournaments suit the overaggressive adrenaline junkie degens like me better. Of course that's a pretty big generalization 😄 (and I'm not trying to say that one format is better than the other, I just find it interesting).

I think you may be right, in tournies you have to risk it all at some stage, in cash it's up to your risk tolerance level. I'm firmly saying cash is better. 😄

9 hours ago, AbvUrPlayGrd said:

The end point is almost set with a tournament play but the biggest attraction I think is the final table,  the winning of the prize, the kudos. That doesn't exist with cash. 

Isn't it the tortoise and the hare? I'm absolutely a tortoise but one that can't even get out of second gear. 

Overall I would say that cash games suit more analytical and sane people,

I shouldn't be anywhere near a cash table then! 

And here's me thinking you were a deep thinker. 

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

it's also possible that losing can have a positive affect on the way you play as well as negative, so who knows.

Yeah, for me the positive is that if I have a big downswing I usually start thinking about changes I need to make, or sometimes I try to study poker a bit. I don't do much of that when I'm on an upswing 😅. In this case the main change was to focus more on SNGs than I have been recently to give myself a better chance to recover the roll (and it also made me think about the differences between cash and SNGs which resulted in the post).

I blame the missions

Yeah, I think there's a decent chance I would've made more last month if I didn't do the mission, but it is good value at the micros and quite fun (and it was a good chance for me to retest how much I like different poker formats).

24 minutes ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

What did you start with on the table and did you have to reload. If I start with €4, run it up to €16 then lose it all I've only lost €4 not €16, please clarify. 🤔

The deepstack legend promotion has cash tables that are basically 10 NL (5cent/10cent), except that you buy in for 50-100€ instead of 5-10€ (and the player with the biggest stack before 3 am Finland time gets a 100€ cash ticket).

So I was playing 2 tables (you are capped to 2 tables) of DSL on Thursday after work and bought in for 100€ on both. I got it up to about 130€ on both tables at one point, but lost all my profits later in a few bad bluffs ( I was playing overaggressive for a shot at victory as the clock was ticking) and then in the last two minutes or so the KQ hand happened. Also lost a bit in 10€ SNGs on the side while I was playing deepstack legend. So overall I lost about 130€ and BR was down to 120€ or so after that session.

Maybe not the best bankroll management 😂

35 minutes ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

If you're in some sng's or mtt's you have no control of the time aspect. 

Yeah I agree that this is a pretty nice thing in favor of cash games, though SNGs don't take that long so for me it's not too bad.

• Like 1

BR is at 413.52€. I also have a 100€ supernova ticket which I won from a satellite (which I only played because of the August mission lol).

A lot of those winnings were from a 125x Hexapro extreme that I won (the rest are from a few tournament cashes, SNG, and a bit of 5€ Banzai). I actually got into another 125x Hexapro extreme later, but I torched that one and came third 😛

Overall, can't complain with how I'm running, especially when my volume hasn't been super impressive lately.

Chris Rock Horror GIF by Spiral

Here is a fun hero call that worked out in the 1000€ black hole (I ended up cashing that tournament but not for much). This happened a few paid places before the bubble:

Preflop with a premium hand like 53o and antes I call (kind of weird stack size for villain to be minraising from especially close to the bubble, probably a limp/shove/fold or shove/fold range makes more sense, but some players would minraise stuff like AA as an exploit, but I don't think this player was like that).

1853089929_53oherocallblackholepreflop.thumb.png.77e5b2d828a6d3ce209f5eb9bd7b41c3.png

Flop of course I have to call.

1230474994_53oherocallblackholeflop.thumb.png.d29ade36c3698c6e5efe1ec48ccafc5e.png

On the turn villain snap jams for a bit over pot. I was thinking that would most players snap jam a jack when the turn comes a king? Probably most players would think for a bit before jamming Jx (and many players would end up checking back with most of their Jx). So I thought most of the value range would be some sort of Kx, and then potentially a bunch of bluffs (none of which I really block except A5 of clubs).

Maybe not the best play but always nice when the reads work out.

454091714_53oherocallblackholeriver.thumb.png.7d7003d693add52c528cc58ec03c00a3.png

• Like 3

Bankroll is 334.69€ (+ two 100€ supernova tickets).

If you can't beat the fish join them:

Context: This was the 250€ asteroid (10€ buy-in), early stages of the tournament.

Preflop, I call with the premium hand J7o.

1451854557_J7bluffpreflop.thumb.png.2834106b478ec0fe0ef6ccba84ee782b.png

The initial raiser cbets flop and everyone calls, I might fold if there are no callers, but with the good price, I thought if the 7 pairs on the turn I usually have the best hand.

733451361_J7bluffflop.thumb.png.7d4d743b350fada8c334c13b5bea8b12.png

Turn (Queen ♦️) checks through. At this point I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone has a set, I think 33 would usually raise flop, I block 77 and if someone had 99 there usually wouldn't be four callers on the flop. So I thought there are a bunch of flush draws, 9x and overcards, or stuff like that.

River is 5♠️. Looks like a brick, and that hits my range better than the range of the other players. I don't block flush draws or T8 (though I block JT). I decide to overbet jam here, thinking that most of the time it will just fold through (even Qx would fold usually too, but maybe not for a smaller size).

Well, the initial raiser calls with 8♠️6♠️, the nut straight (others fold) and probably the table got a good laugh from the hand 😂. TBH I didn't expect that to be much in anyone's range preflop. Well, nice hand!

1903777096_J7bluffriver.thumb.png.538b77db709c59026a5a3397a6415f25.png

What do you think, completely stupid or has some logic? Anyway I torched my chiplead right there.

With some nice luck I was actually able to get to the final table, but I managed to bubble the tournament. I think the hand is not that interesting, but in retrospect I think it was a bit of an ICM punt (not terrible, but not good).

At least I managed to win another ticket from a satellite for the supernova. So I guess technically the day has been slightly profitable but to the credit of the ticket bankroll, not sure how to feel about that.

And I completed this damn thing, which is the main reason I was playing tournaments in the first place 😂

1741233618_moremttcash.thumb.png.81e906e5aab71b3b2f4a1dec3b8bcb38.png

Probably the disciplined thing would've been to not play today after work and to not be tempted by the missions. I don't think my play was great (though maybe not as bad as I expected it to be). Oh well, at least I got a fun hand to post on the blog 😛

Edited by CuteRaven
  • Like 3

hmm logging in after a while to catch up on the ub blogs.

PLS FOLD 53o, vs opponents stack, u are setting chips on fire sir, especially close to itm. U have many better spots to defend your bb. I also think u will be surprised how many time villains will show up with pocket pairs in that exact spot. 

The J7 hand, I guess u don't like winning mtt's? IF u decide to defend J7o because of implied odds, on such a flop and board texture, u just go for your showdown value and pray to jebus that your 7 is good and not start punting oop multiway versus casuals. 

I don't know how aggro u play in general, but  I would have either folded pf ( 90% of the time) or squeezed pre ( 10%) to 8.4 with that hand as u put a lot of pressure and take the initiative. 

I tend to be very tight in these unibet multiway pots with funplayers.

• Like 3

@ladyluckpls Thanks for the opinions!

12 hours ago, ladyluckpls said:

PLS FOLD 53o, vs opponents stack, u are setting chips on fire sir, especially close to itm.

Yeah, BB defense ranges is something I need to do some work on. It gets a bit complicated with antes, differing stack sizes and ICM stuff. On the one hand you can probably defend wider at low stack sizes because you realize more of your equity. But yeah, probably too loose with 53o.

I also think u will be surprised how many time villains will show up with pocket pairs in that exact spot. 

You think that players would show up with something like 88 when they take this line postflop? I don't think most players would do that, but maybe you are right that I'm underestimating how often it happens still.

just go for your showdown value and pray to jebus that your 7 is good

That was the plan initially but when the turn checked through I thought I had an opportunity 😂. In the end, if it folds through 70% of the time it's very profitable, only 50% and I'm burning money. It only takes one calling station to ruin  things.

I thought at the time that all players seemed quite "normal". SB was playing another table, BU name seemed familiar but no reads beyond that and MP seemed solid (also that 2.3x raise size seems reg-like).

So does it fold through enough of the time? I still don't know, but moves like this have worked out a lot in the past so that's probably part of the reason I still make them sometimes. 😅

But especially with 86s probably being more of a possibility than I thought at the time (and me not blocking it when blockers are especially important multi-way), probably check fold is the smart option 😛

13 hours ago, ladyluckpls said:

I don't know how aggro u play in general

Pretty aggro, gamelab told me in the past that I have a VPIP/PFR/3BET of something like 30/23/12 at 4 NL, probably that's close to what it is in the early stages of 6max tournaments too (tighter if the field is tough).

13 hours ago, ladyluckpls said:

I would have either folded pf ( 90% of the time) or squeezed pre ( 10%) to 8.4 with that hand as u put a lot of pressure and take the initiative.

This is the advice that surprised me the most, usually I like to play more playable hands as 3bets (e.g 65s or A4s), and the great price incentivizes calls over 3bets in general I think. I thinks it's quite awkward to play something like J7o out of position against their calling range (especially when J7o is dominated quite often bu AJ, KJs, QJs, JTs...). But maybe since calling is so good here with many hands, it would be a "waste" to 3bet fold stuff like 65s?

I also thought that calling J7o would be relatively standard here.

I guess it's something I need to think about more.

You inspired me to research BB defense ranges for MTTs a bit more 😄.

I found some videos and articles on it:

https://upswingpoker.com/big-blind-defend-strategy-mtt-vs-cash/

Overall, from a quick glance, looks like I'm too loose in some spots and too tight in other spots, though these ranges don't factor in ICM. A bit surprising how much it differs from cash games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CuteRaven said:

@ladyluckpls Thanks for the opinions!

Yeah, BB defense ranges is something I need to do some work on. It gets a bit complicated with antes, differing stack sizes and ICM stuff. On the one hand you can probably defend wider at low stack sizes because you realize more of your equity. But yeah, probably too loose with 53o.

==> I get what u mean but 53o is just garbage vs his stack, when het cbets flop, u have almost 0 fold equity vs his stack

You think that players would show up with something like 88 when they take this line postflop? I don't think most players would do that, but maybe you are right that I'm underestimating how often it happens still.

that turn K doesn't help your range so most middling pockets are shoving imo, and they have way more kx in their range

That was the plan initially but when the turn checked through I thought I had an opportunity 😂. In the end, if it folds through 70% of the time it's very profitable, only 50% and I'm burning money. It only takes one calling station to ruin  things.

I thought at the time that all players seemed quite "normal". SB was playing another table, BU name seemed familiar but no reads beyond that and MP seemed solid (also that 2.3x raise size seems reg-like).

So does it fold through enough of the time? I still don't know, but moves like this have worked out a lot in the past so that's probably part of the reason I still make them sometimes. 😅

But especially with 86s probably being more of a possibility than I thought at the time (and me not blocking it when blockers are especially important multi-way), probably check fold is the smart option 😛

forget about people's image when your are multiway oop,  recs on ub hate folding,u will get looked up by a lot of hands.

Keep this same move for value next time, thats how u exploit their calling  tendencies.

Pretty aggro, gamelab told me in the past that I have a VPIP/PFR/3BET of something like 30/23/12 at 4 NL, probably that's close to what it is in the early stages of 6max tournaments too (tighter if the field is tough).

not sure how low stakes 4nl cashgame stats relate here but I mean if u have an aggro overall strat. 

This is the advice that surprised me the most, usually I like to play more playable hands as 3bets (e.g 65s or A4s), and the great price incentivizes calls over 3bets in general I think. I thinks it's quite awkward to play something like J7o out of position against their calling range (especially when J7o is dominated quite often bu AJ, KJs, QJs, JTs...). But maybe since calling is so good here with many hands, it would be a "waste" to 3bet fold stuff like 65s?

I also thought that calling J7o would be relatively standard here.

I guess it's something I need to think about more.

squeezing in this spot is a pure steal move and its ok to give up on flop when called or cbet/fold flop if HU. the fact J7o is absolute bottom of range makes it a good candidate to go pure bluff vs players who will interpret your squeeze as very strong

You inspired me to research BB defense ranges for MTTs a bit more 😄.

yeah always good to hit the study road 🙂

I found some videos and articles on it:

https://upswingpoker.com/big-blind-defend-strategy-mtt-vs-cash/

Overall, from a quick glance, looks like I'm too loose in some spots and too tight in other spots, though these ranges don't factor in ICM. A bit surprising how much it differs from cash games.

yeah mtt and cash bb def is very different and icm makes it a different sport entirely

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, ladyluckpls said:

that turn K doesn't help your range so most middling pockets are shoving imo, and they have way more kx in their range

I understand that but what is 88 getting called by that's worse if you are not up against a calling station like me? It feels like if you shove with them you are turning those hands into a bluff. But maybe some players would do it regardless.

forget about people's image when your are multiway oop

Good point.

Though I like to take into account reads, especially when you are just playing 4 tables (max of the browser version), it's impossible not to get reads even if you try 😄

But yeah multiway it's not so relevant.

not sure how low stakes 4nl cashgame stats relate here but I mean if u have an aggro overall strat. 

Yeah just wanted to give something more specific than "I play aggro" which doesn't mean that much, but yeah I play quite aggro overall, probably too aggro 😛

squeezing in this spot is a pure steal move

I don't really like to play 3bets purely to steal. I think if I give up on flop or turn almost always whenever I'm bluffing I'm going to be losing many pots when I get called preflop (which is pretty often I think) and I'm going to be losing big pots too often.

I actually float and checkraise flop cbets vs some regs quite loose as an exploit if I notice they cbet flops and then give up turns too much (not specific to 3bet pots though). But I guess most players I would face wouldn't think about stuff like this.

But anyway, it's a matter of preference and a bit nitpicky I guess, probably most important that the frequencies are good.

I noticed that you have a blog and looks like you are crushing the MTTs, so probably I should listen to your advice (and I appreciate the thoughts 😀 ). Hopefully the poker has been going good lately (if you've been playing)!

Bankroll is 491.14€ (+ two 100€ supernova tickets). I played a late night 5 man SNG session (10€ and a few 25€ buyins) when I came back from work today and it went quite well. I was feeling quite fresh despite the work day.

I also won a 30€ Hexapro (bought in with a 10€ ticket that I got from the August mission) after my last BR update.

Edited by CuteRaven
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, CuteRaven said:

I understand that but what is 88 getting called by that's worse if you are not up against a calling station like me? It feels like if you shove with them you are turning those hands into a bluff. But maybe some players would do it regardless.

yes its turning into a bluff in a spot where villain would feel like they have tons of FE

Good point.

Though I like to take into account reads, especially when you are just playing 4 tables (max of the browser version), it's impossible not to get reads even if you try 😄

But yeah multiway it's not so relevant.

yeah u will lvl urself otherwise in these spots, trust me, learned the hard way

Yeah just wanted to give something more specific than "I play aggro" which doesn't mean that much, but yeah I play quite aggro overall, probably too aggro 😛

aggro is good, I think I play way more aggressive than the field which is necessary to build stacks to ship mtt's

I don't really like to play 3bets purely to steal. I think if I give up on flop or turn almost always whenever I'm bluffing I'm going to be losing many pots when I get called preflop (which is pretty often I think) and I'm going to be losing big pots too often.

I actually float and checkraise flop cbets vs some regs quite loose as an exploit if I notice they cbet flops and then give up turns too much (not specific to 3bet pots though). But I guess most players I would face wouldn't think about stuff like this.

But anyway, it's a matter of preference and a bit nitpicky I guess, probably most important that the frequencies are good.

yeah we are discussing the 10% where I would consider a squeeze pre so doesn't really matter that much but I would suggest to try this with semibluff hands that flop well are not dominated. U will be surprised how many times u pick up  ez chips as most only would only squeeze oop with top of their range and they perceive that move as very strong

I noticed that you have a blog and looks like you are crushing the MTTs, so probably I should listen to your advice (and I appreciate the thoughts 😀 ). Hopefully the poker has been going good lately (if you've been playing)!

yeah I should update my blog more but am still playing under Uaintgotit and doing pretty well in all sub 25eur's, didn't play a few months this year due to real life stuff but Im guessing im up well over 5k ytd.... but am still a fish lol

when the 25eur+ crushers join the games, I sit down 😉

• Like 3

Bankroll is 728.61€ (+ two 100€ supernova tickets).

I played a short session of mostly the 25€ buy-in 5 man SNG yesterday and got to about 650€ (was running quite hot 🤩).

Today I played some 25€ HU SNG and got up to about 740€ (played against some exploitable regs that never bluffed or really underbluffed). After that I played a long session of the 25€ 5 man SNGs but couldn't get past breakeven this time.

I don't think I played that well in the 5 mans today. For example I made a really bad ICM call with A6o vs a preflop all-in from a reg shortstack (who seemed to be shoving quite wide) on the bubble. Probably if I thought it through properly I would've found the fold.

2128226252_A6ICMpunt.thumb.png.c3164817b313772def4da32502cfa0e8.png

In that spot ATo or maybe A9o is the worst hand I can call with. The reg won with QTo and was spamming fish emotes after that. 😄

I also ran worse. There was one comical bad beat moment where I busted or nearly busted two of the 25€ SNGs at the same time. On both tables I was all in preflop with JJ. On one of the tables villain had 55 and on the other table villain had 77. They both made a set 😂. I lost a bunch of pivotal all-ins but made some big hands, overall I think I ran ok (or I wouldn't have stayed at breakeven).

And of course the general direction of the bankroll is up so gotta be grateful about that. 🙂

I'll be taking at least a few days off from the poker grind, life is getting quite busy again.

Edited by CuteRaven
  • Like 6

1239141631_1000bankroll.png.968579e5e0318fb0dd424244a508c002.png

BR is 1021.47€ (+ two 100€ supernova tickets).

1000€ is a pretty meaningless value, but it still feels good to pass that value with the bankroll after my swingy bankroll run so far 😄. Most of the profits are from 25€ heads up SNG (about 150€ profit from that) and I also managed to luckbox myself into a 125€ Hexapro extreme once again.

1677759706_125Hexaprobearlygood.thumb.png.86cc8bced8244f5b9c9646dc114247be.png

I barely played since the last update because of starting a new university and having to move cities etc. I just played today and yesterday. Still gotta move properly to the new city (I'm probably the worst house/city mover in history but hopefully things will go well with that 😂).

Eventually I'll probably get back to poker properly, but it might be a week or two.

Edited by CuteRaven
  • Like 4

On 8/14/2022 at 1:27 AM, CuteRaven said:

Maybe not the best play but always nice when the reads work out.

Since you defended with 53o i don't think it's a bad call with the information you based it on. The flop bet looks like a weak bet or a set. When they snap shove on the K it looks more like the flop bet was weak and so now you really only have to decide if they hold a K. If they hold a K why are the snap shoving when you have only really indicated that you may have a bit of the flop and so they should just bet again or check and see if you bite.

There is the possibility that they could put you on 45 or TQ and with a flush draw arriving on the turn too, maybe they get a little trigger happy but the only likely FD you have is 45h QTh and you're not folding them anyway.

I like the call and if you're wrong it's not a bad thing to put into the minds of the table.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:28 PM, CuteRaven said:

I will take that line pre, probably more often than not, depending on my opps, situation etc.

Just catching up so i'm a bit late to the party.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AbvUrPlayGrd said:

The flop bet looks like a weak bet or a set.

Could be, but some players just do this with their whole range (to put something like Q8 or other air, which I have a lot of here, into an awkward spot), so usually I don't read into this sort of tiny flop bet too much.

21 hours ago, AbvUrPlayGrd said:

the only likely FD you have is 45h QTh and you're not folding them anyway.

I'm enough of a station to have other FD that call the tiny flop bet and arrive on the turn. 😅 Admittedly I would jam most of my suited Ax preflop, but some of the worse ones I could call sometimes (e.g A6, A4), but maybe I jam some of them sometimes (ones with a gutter and backdoor FD) on the flop against the small bet. Then there is stuff like Q9hh, Q8hh, 46hh, 56hh, maybe even T9hh that I could call sometimes on the flop (though some like 46hh, 56hh I might jam or minraise on the flop), but I guess still not so many FD combos 😄

If they hold a K why are the snap shoving when you have only really indicated that you may have a bit of the flop and so they should just bet again or check and see if you bite.

Good point, I didn't think of it in that way during the hand, though I don't think shoving Kx is bad, probably a tiny turn bet is slightly better or more natural with most hands on the turn. But the timing is what made me more convinced.

Before I called, I was mentally preparing a little bit for they chance that he might hit an A or 9 (or whatever overcards he could be bluffing with), but luckily it didn't happen. 😄

I will take that line pre

You mean post-flop? As a bluff I assume?

GL with the move!

Thanks! Might need it. Hopefully I run as good in moving house as I have recently in poker. 😂

I decided to withdraw 500€ from Unibet since I might need it, there was some annoying bureaucratic mistakes from my employer with salary for some of the work shifts, so some of it is delayed, but I should get it soon. Maybe I will redeposit the 500€ once I get the salary 😄. Luckily the Unibet withdrawal was instant so that's really nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last post, and seems like the forum has really come alive, nice to see!

I have enjoyed university quite a lot so far 😃. It's been very interesting but it has also been really busy, so not much time for poker. I'm trying to be a better student than I was in the past. I still have barely unpacked many of the boxes after moving, though there isn't much motivation to unpack, because I probably need to move again in a few months.

I have also been waking up around 8 am every morning like a responsible adult 😄. That used to be almost impossible for me to maintain, maybe I should be worried that I'm getting old. 😂

I decided to play the 100€ Supernova on Sunday (I had 2 tickets for it from satellites). It was a pretty bad experience ,because I was quite tired on Sunday and it lasted long (I was really tired the next day). A 2 day tournament is a pretty big commitment though and I don't know when next I will have time on both Sunday and Monday. My fault for playing the satellites I guess 😂

I was also playing some 25€ SNG at the same time to stay focused in the tournament, and it was kind of frustrating break-even session (I didn't play so good I think). I don't have a proper ergonomic setup yet, so I was getting quite uncomfortable towards the end.

In the end I busted close to the bubble. I lost two all ins in a row with AQo. Maybe one of them was a bit of an ICM punt, I went all in against a minraise from UTG+2 who had about 15 BB (I was in UTG+3 with 24 BB, it was 8 handed close to the bubble, and they called with AKs).

1100730906_AQpunt.thumb.jpg.46607817284bd405cb4ab493339d77af.jpg

Honestly I'm not sure how I should've played the AQ hand. Folding seems a bit nitty. If I 3bet to 6 BB I'm probably pot committed against UTG+2 whenever they shove. But if I 3bet to 6 BB and some other bigstack player shoves I can probably fold, so maybe it is much better (but on the other hand I give players the chance to shove with hands that would fold when I jam myself). Or maybe villain is opening a very tight range that will go all in usually anyway and I should just fold AQo so near to the bubble?

I still have one more 100€ supernova ticket. It would be cool if it was possible to exchange for a tournament ticket that runs earlier in the day, but I'm guessing it's not.

Also I don't understand why most tournaments are still full ring. Do tournament players enjoy folding? What is the allure of sitting around for hours watching yourself fold almost every hand? Why the hell are most tournaments not 6, or even 5 handed? I don't get it 😂. Someone please explain. Are cash games 6-max only because it generates more rake for poker sites? I get full ring in live poker because you need to hire dealers, but online I don't get it....

I had to withdraw a bit more (200€) from Unibet, I'm still waiting for my late salary (coming on Friday). So in the end I was left with about 300€. I decided to play as if I still had 1000€ in my account, because the plan is to redeposit most or all of it soon anyway. I have been playing some 25€ SNG (both types) rarely when I have time and got my balance up to 544.40€. So I shouldn’t really complain too much I guess 😅

• Like 5

Congrats on the move! Sucks that you may have to move again though.

Personally I prefer full ring games but that's because I have always been a live player and so it's what i'm used to and so suits me better. I guess if they dropped full ring then it would be quite an adjustment for anyone then going to play live.

• Like 1

Ok! That makes sense.

I wonder if in an alternate universe full ring wasn't the standard live (and instead it was something shorthanded), would anyone think of playing it. I don't think so.

I also found some old post on Twoplustwo from 2008 where someone was ranting about how it was terrible that Partypoker and "Fullrakepoker" had moved to 6 max (in 2005) and how it's just a rake grab by the sites, and before that both full ring and shorthanded (3-4 players) was flourishing. It was a pretty interesting read from a historical sense (I don't know how accurate though 😂) https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=5711528&postcount=17

• Like 2