Do you learn better by reading or visualizing?

Magicadil

Everyone is different in how they learn. For me personally, Ive found Twitch Streams have helped advance my game far better than any book could (Jason Somerville's in particular)

What method works best for you, in improving your own game?

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

Well personally I dont take a lot attention for poker tips in strategy play but I like to watch how they are going, cuz Im to lazy for that to apply for my individual/improvisation play scheme and maybe I believe there's MAGICK circle when players have almost same techniques and boom you're in the lotto bingo so Im faaar away from that. The only thing I like to read is about psychology in poker to set my mind in best shape and make players go to the space :|

Today's youth are getting worse. I was in a church yesterday, when I saw a guy lighting a cigarette from the candle. I was so shocked, that I dropped my beer bottle.

Idk i try to mix it up, now that i started work, i stury like 1-2 hrs a day and if i have time ill play + i try to read a book that has nothing to do with poker every week. Ah yeah and twitch :) btw i read now Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill ;)

this is a fresh start for me, i'm determined to change my life #evolve, and yeah i workout on a daily basis, at least in my mind i never took poker serious, but had the fortune to be rewarded, so yeah i see an opportunity to make a lot of money, no matter what people say its harder to win i will outwork everyone.

JUST START PEOPLE!

I think it takes a lot of time to learn the true fundamentals and then expand on your own to get your own edges.  When I watched Jason Somerville's twitch stream, it was pretty blue print to how I approach the game which was just more comforting that I was on the right path.  Only difference is he defends his BB way more often than me :)

I thought I was the best player in 2007 and in 2009 I realized I knew nothing, same thing in 2010 and then again in 2011.  Then I finally got on the right path and from there it's just playing as much as possible and finding the small edges to increase your profits.  I think poker is really tricky without learning the fundamentals, I know my friend doesn't and no matter how much he plays the best he can do is a slightly losing player.  I definitely learn better by listening to thought processes more than anything.

Strangely for me I've learnt more from videos and Twitch than books.
Normally I'm a big reader but for some reason reading about poker doesn't work for me.
I love listening to Twitch streams, but the trouble is I can't often make out what's on screen, need a bigger monitor!

Just call me Mrs Kings :-)

@JillianP wrote:

Normally I'm a big reader but for some reason reading about poker doesn't work for me.

I love listening to Twitch streams, but the trouble is I can't often make out what's on screen, need a bigger monitor!

Reading about poker is like doing homework. Gets boring fast. :smileyindifferent:

Videos or streams are a different story. Can watch them for hours.

I debate

@JillianP wrote:

That's on the streamer, not you really. If they are streaming 4+ tables on any site it can get difficult to follow the action. The streamers that toggle between tables so there is always only 1 or 2 on screen are the best.

Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it :)

@MoreTBC wrote:

@JillianP wrote:

That's on the streamer, not you really. If they are streaming 4+ tables on any site it can get difficult to follow the action. The streamers that toggle between tables so there is always only 1 or 2 on screen are the best.

That's why Jason Somerville gets the most viewers. Only 1 tables, so it's very easy to follow the action & commentary.

I debate

Reading is good upto a point but the game these days evolves so quickly that by the time you have bought and read any given book a new method of play is being used. 

Watching is good, but again unless you're watching a dedicated stream (As suggested) all you get is edited highlights which do not give you the whole story of a group of guys who have been playing together for so long they HAVE to play junk hands to get any action.

I find that poker is such a comlex game when you start getting into it that the only real way to learn is by playing.

I would say that it is essential that any player new to the game and who wants to take it seriously must read and remember the odds of hitting sets, flushes, straights etc as a bare minimum. At least with this information they may stop leaking money by chasing down gutshots etc when the pot odds do not make it a viable long term money making proposition.

For me this is a key foundation stone that must be laid before considering such things a smoney management and bank roll, which I find easier to read about. The more intricate theories such as implied odds and reverse implied odds I find easier to understand if watched and explained on podcasts or videos.

Let's compare poker to an audition to a singing contest for example. 100 people show up, all are equally talented. Who wins? Well if all are equally talented, the judges will look for the person that sticks out. Same with Poker. If you use online tools to improve your game, others have access to the same resources, so you would have to be creative to gain an edge on them. Poker isn't just about learning odds/making profitable moves, since a lot of people are doing this already. It's about mixing your game up & taking unconventional lines while also having a deep understanding of the fundamentals.

I debate

Hello, I use 2 methods (read and see) but I like, to see is not so boring ... learn to do everything and anything related to poker (streams, podcast, Games videos, tournaments etc.) and obviously also has to read, always ... when I started playing poker at the beginning was when I read more books and helped me a lot, in all learn poker and English :) but perfiro and learn faster viewing

I feel that I learn better byvisualizing especially with the Unibet Twitchstreams with Charlotte van Brabander, David Vanderheyden and Sam Grafton have been very good for me in improving my poker playing and they have also been very entertaining and fun. I also want to thank Unibet for all of the giveaways like cash-game tickets and tournament tickets and the Unibet Hoodie that I have won since the beginning of the Unibet Twitchstreams. I make sure that I never miss a Unibet Twitchstream and I encourage you all to follow all of the Unibet Twitchstreams and of course all the Unibet open livestreams that they have. A reminder for all soon its Unibet Open in Copenhagen and Unibet will have Unibet Twitch Livestreams from that event it's a must see because its a fun tournament with a nice mix of good pro players and good recreational players, very good commentators in Mark Convey and David Vanderheyden and of course a lot of nice giveaways, which also is nice.

Unibet has become number one pokerclient where I learn how to play poker and keep on improving my poker playing skills. Keep up the good work Unibet.

I do watch the Twitch streams every now and then and really enjoy them - especially Sam Grafton's - and it's a plus if his cute cat makes an appearance. :) The streams are fun, but the poker playing going on is kind of secondary to me because the tables are so small it's hard to see what's going on. I've never read any books on poker. I just read up on the basics before I started playing like some 10+ years ago, but since then I've basically learned by doing. I don't really like being influenced by or take in too much information about how others play because I sometimes feel like it's ruining my mojo. :smileytongue: I play by instinct and do what feels right at the moment and if I try to play like "you're supposed to according to the experts" it always goes badly. That said, I may make mistakes all on my own too, but at least then they're mine and I can learn from them, so all in all I feel better sticking to my own way of playing even if it's not perfect or professional. I'm still very much a recreational player so it's all in good fun for me anyway. :)

@Valkyrie wrote:

I do watch the Twitch streams every now and then and really enjoy them - especially Sam Grafton's - and it's a plus if his cute cat makes an appearance. :) The streams are fun, but the poker playing going on is kind of secondary to me because the tables are so small it's hard to see what's going on. I've never read any books on poker. I just read up on the basics before I started playing like some 10+ years ago, but since then I've basically learned by doing. I don't really like being influenced by or take in too much information about how others play because I sometimes feel like it's ruining my mojo. :smileytongue: I play by instinct and do what feels right at the moment and if I try to play like "you're supposed to according to the experts" it always goes badly. That said, I may make mistakes all on my own too, but at least then they're mine and I can learn from them, so all in all I feel better sticking to my own way of playing even if it's not perfect or professional. I'm still very much a recreational player so it's all in good fun for me anyway. :)

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm playing live and someone starts telling me why I played the hand wrong by getting all analytical. Not only is it extremely annoying to listen to, there's millions of ways to play hands. That's the beauty of poker, we have free will to play each hand how we desire.

I debate

Archived