VAR ZONE

Livertool

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

@WuDu  and @Livertool 

I was watching the Champions League Goals Show on BT last night so I don't know which commentator said it, but apparently VAR officials won't be checking infringements at penalties in the Champions League, leaving that down to the referee who obviously can't make such a simple mistaken observation. I can't find confirmation elsewhere but if true then different competitions are going to have different rules. The fact that they'll check an offside down to inches or less but not check a goalkeeper's feet off the line, or players encroaching, just seems a pointless waste of technology.

I still think VAR should only be used to aid the referee when he asks for it, as in cricket rugby and tennis, if there's not something glaringly wrong then let the game carry on. Unfortunately if you give someone an opportunity to interfere, without being asked, then sooner or later they will take it, just to let you know they're still around.

They have slightly different rules comparing pl and cl. Don't know exactly which parts but for example they use more var opinions in offsides in cl and let game go on when in pl assistant referee makes most calls with raising flag.

Agree with var should be assistant and not ruling referee. Could be used in cases that are clearly wrong calls or in situations when none of referees see some situation. 

@Livertool wrote

They have slightly different rules comparing pl and cl. Don't know exactly which parts but for example they use more var opinions in offsides in cl and let game go on when in pl assistant referee makes most calls with raising flag.

Agree with var should be assistant and not ruling referee. Could be used in cases that are clearly wrong calls or in situations when none of referees see some situation. 

The first part is weird and that's where confusion comes in. 

" OK to encroach today lads, if the referee doesn't spot you, you'll get away with it." If they have the technology why not use it in a standardised way? It seems weird to me. Different rules in different comps just seems wrong.  :wonder:

As for assisting, it seems to me that it's just interfering, slowing the game down when no-one on the field has questioned a decision.If everyone is playing on without question, why stop the game to change a marginal decision that can't be spotted in real time? All other sports seem to use replays without interfering unless assistance is requested. If a cricketer is given out and no-one questions the decision, the third umpire doesn't butt in and say he wasn't out. If neither tennis player questions a line call the Hawkeye official doesn't correct wrong calls. If a rugby player makes a slight forward pass leading to a try, the video ref will only look at it if requested by the referee. Football as usual has to be different. I can see the use for blatantly obvious mistakes by the officials, but most of these close calls are not that obvious in the first place and it's only technology that is picking them up with the benefit of hindsight. The debate continues. 

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Yeah, rules should be same in every competition but no.

And all the delaying with blowing the whistle is just wrong. If assistant ref thinks there is offside/ball out of field etc...raise the flag and stop playing. If flag ain't raised, don't bother watching videos and then make delayed decision about it. Just a waste of time and energy to let them play there for nothing and also makes players vulnerable for unnecessary injuries

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Var again in Brescia - Fiorentina :dissatisfied:

giphy.gif.3835f22e9ea8c8edbee67c283eceff97.gif

I really hope pool wins PL this season so i can stop watching this nitpicker ball.

It is like this these days: hey, they made a goal. Now let us find any reason to disallow that so we can continue comfortably with 0-0. Yeiiiiii

• Like 1

Football as usual, unlike other sports, tries it's best to get things wrong and absolutely succeeds. All other sports use the systems to help the referee or umpire make the best decision when requested, but football insists that slowing down or stopping a game to make decisions that can't be determined by the naked eye is a good  thing.  Give the boys their toys and they will insist on using them above and beyond the call of duty ( or the referee .)  How long before there will be more match officials than players? :teardrop:

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

I doubt that it is not coincidence that after Blatter and Platini got sacked, things are heading wrong direction. Now we got two daydreamer lawyers as presidents in fifa and uefa and it surely shows with var and multiple venues in next year Euros :puking:

Infantino used to work at CIES so i got strong feeling that brain fart called var is based from there.

• Like 1

The multiple venues is just ridiculous. Image country should be act and sell tickets like home team but your footballers wasn't good enough to qualify. It's a big meh.

Btw I would allow a VAR challenge 2 times during a game for the teams like in tennis or in NFL for every situation (and also introduce a ban a player option what would mean if your team was booked with a yellow card opponent team would pick one of your players-keeper excluded-for 10 minutes sin bin).

• Like 1

I don't know if that would work either in football, there aint so many var decisions per match yet many are so ridicilous.

Like yesterday, hand fault (if there even was one) happened midfield 10 seconds before goal. Referee was standing max 3 meters from it, facing directly to that situation so he had way better view that var can ever offer. But he allowed play continue. Even var officials couldn't say if there was fault and referee end up watching situation again and then denied goal. I mean wtf

+ 20 years that i followed football, there has never been this much hassle and confusion with situations. Some right, some wrong so we have gone nowhere from where we were, nothing positive at least if something just delying and killing game.

After all, this is scoring game so i really don't get why they must find any reason for goals not to happen. I bet this game would have been more crowd pleaser if Brescia goal would have been good and Fiorentina would have tried even more to get even and not just be happy with 0-0.

Same with ManU - Pool. Mane first period goal denied for event that had nothing to do with goal and ManU was just happy to sit back rest of game thou they had positive start until they got their goal.

I would sue var inventor for murder of football if i knew where to point the finger :Laugh:

If something ain't broken, don't fix it!!!

• Like 1

This is absolutely my main point @Livertool  No-one on the field appeals, none of the officials interfere, play continues and a goal is scored. Then the VAR officials step in, even with all the camera angles it's very difficult to come to a definitive decision, quickly,  but it seems to be, "Hey, we've spent all this money on this stuff so let's use it as much as possible" even though it's to the detriment of the game. Cricket and tennis are slightly different, players can appeal against an umpire's decision or a close line call, which is fair enough. Rugby seems to have got it right imo, the off field crew only get involved when the referee is unsure and asks  for help, they look at it and all  the officials, between them, come to a decision. I still think it should go back to the "clear and obvious mistake" criteria, but it seems now they'll look at anything just because they can. Even the offside decisions can be ridiculous, a player's big left toe is deemed offside by 5 cm, no-one sees it or appeals but "We have to check" and the player was obviously seeking to gain a huge advantage, no goal. Ridiculous!

• Like 2

@Livertool wrote:

That's it. F off with this bs. Switching to tennis.

fcn.jpg.3e40801e78b9ba161782d397cee3e726.jpg

A player seeks to gain an advantage when he's offside. The fact that starting your run and your foot is deemed offside as the ball is delivered seems pretty ridiculous to me, but they must draw the line somewhere so it's deemed offside. :wow:

De Bruyne was originally credited a goal yesterday but this was later changed and given to da Silva, who was offside but deemed not interfering with play. If this decision had been made at the time the goal would not have stood, but it could have taken ten minutes to reach a conclusion. 🤣 

• Like 1

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

@Livertool @psrquack You can clearly see that Firminho's arm was offside which he was obviously going to use to punch the ball in.  🤣 When will this ever end? :teardrop:

This one i ain't even so mad about cause sideline ref flagged it and whistle blew before goal. I would have been totally fine with it without that var checking where you can't even tell if there is offside or not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Goal or no goal?

• Like 1
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

• 1 month later...