Summer Brawl Poker League - July

JeppeL

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

Was really sad to see you becoming the bubble boy @testuser1. Was a good call with A7 but as always dominated because people seem to only openshove with absolute premiums :-(

Why are you so agitated about people playing too tight? That’s good for you: The tighter they play, the more profitably you can steal or shove really loose ranges yourself.

There are always ways to gain an advantage if people differ from what is considered GTO.

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

lol at GTO in a 4€ homegame/community MTT

Easy to use the term GTO without having the slightest clue what its about

I repeat myself: Why are you so agitated? Exactly: It’s a €4 MTT and you are complaining that people don’t know exactly what hands to shove. It’s a fun experience, I assume some players don’t even play MTTs on a regular basis, so cut them some slack.

How do you know that I have no idea about GTO though? I’m actually trying to play a game-theory optimal strategy and – although I make some mistakes, for sure – I’m doing just fine thinking in terms of ranges and counter strategies.

However, good luck to all participants today! I hope, I will make the final table in one of these finally! 😀

Of course he is right regarding the greatness of people playing waaaaaay to tight.

I think it is funny to see people blinding down to 5 bb or even less until they finally get dealt their KK/AA.

I m not agitated about it, just pleasantly surprised there is still some kind of very old school poker played on Unibet.

I never complaint by the way, I just stated the facts as they appear to me.

GTO is way more than thinking of ranges of yourself and your opponent(s). It is about being balanced almost always. 

GTO is a joke for small stakes games because you don´t have to be balanced against the weaker range of players. GTO is for battle of high stakes regs who don´t want to give anything away and want to become unexploitative. In lowstake and midstake games the best thing is to exploit your opponents rather than playing GTO. You will earn way more money with an approach that tries to achieve the exploitation of opponents rather than being playing perfectly regarding the theory of poker.

I think you dont have a great idea of GTO because it is not what you think it is. Some people just keep mentioning it as some kind of solution to poker, what it just isn´t.

NO MORE HALF-MEASURES.

"Leaderboard updated on page 1 /html/images/emoticons/Asset1.png @Engeberg@Tatiana@BundleFjoy to earn the full points for your finishing position, please remember to play the tournaments with an alias the same or very similar to your community name."

Hi,

I do not understand what you mean. 

My alias is exactly the same as my community name.

Are you mistaking or am i?

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

I think you dont have a great idea of GTO because it is not what you think it is. Some people just keep mentioning it as some kind of solution to poker, what it just isn´t.

You may rest assured that I know what GTO is and you didn’t tell me anything I didn’t know already. However, I don’t think GTO is a bad strategy on any stakes since a GTO strategy can’t fail, but you can always exploit yourself while trying to exploit others. GTO is a great base line when you don’t know your opponents, obviously you should switch to an exploiting approach if you realize that your opponents play a very non-GTO strategy.

Anyhow, stop making up facts about people you don’t know please. Thanks in advance!

Funny: Misclicked in the very first hand of the tournament today – openraising AK, getting 3-betted right away, trying to call but min-4-betting instead, obviously facing a shove, obviously have to fold. Never felt so embarrassed at a poker table before. Misclicking isn’t exactly GTO. 😉

If you think you now what GTO is, good for you. Keep crushing them high stakes games, mate!

"Funny: Misclicked in the very first hand of the tournament today – openraising AK, getting 3-betted right away, trying to call but min-4-betting instead, obviously facing a shove, obviously have to fold. Never felt so embarrassed at a poker table before. Misclicking isn’t exactly GTO. /html/images/emoticons/Asset25.png"

Easy call. You have the chance to double up early, sure opponent can have AA,KK, but you have blockers to both of the hands you are afraid of. If he has Kings, still 30% equity. If he has AA, you can still rebuy and get another shot. 

Since it is the first hand you don´t know your opponent and what he shoves in the exact spot, so AK does pretty well against a range of AJ+, ATo+, 66+. Many people want to gamble early and try to double up. So your fold with AK is very anti-GTO imo.

NO MORE HALF-MEASURES.

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

Easy call. You have the chance to double up early, sure opponent can have AA,KK, but you have blockers to both of the hands you are afraid of. If he has Kings, still 30% equity. If he has AA, you can still rebuy and get another shot. 

Since it is the first hand you don´t know your opponent and what he shoves in the exact spot, so AK does pretty well against a range of AJ+, ATo+, 66+. Many people want to gamble early and try to double up. So your fold with AK is very anti-GTO imo.

LOL – are you actually serious? On the last page you stated that people don’t shove unless they have the goods and now you are saying I should go all-in with a drawing hand in the first hand when we have over 330bb in total?

Yes, AK does pretty well against a range of AJ+, ATo+, 66+ – but it’s extremely unlikely that this will be the range you are up against when you face a 3-bet after openraising UTG and a snap-shove after min-4-betting your hand. I think my 4-bet was to 600ish chips, so I would have to call another 4,400 chips, getting pot odds from 2.3:1 which means I need like 30% equity. I estimated my opponent would only shove AKs, KK+ here – I discounted the AKo combos because I don’t think many people would go all-in with AK in the very first hand –, against this range I have 27,46% equity, so I’m forced to fold.

Of course that fold is very anti-GTO but since both of us agreed upon the fact that people tend to play very anti-GTO we should make a lot of anti-GTO decisions to stay +EV and make the best decisions possible.

But yeah, easy call, when it’s a ridiculously close call at best 😉

@GamesDean wrote:

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

LOL – are you actually serious? On the last page you stated that people don’t shove unless they have the goods and now you are saying I should go all-in with a drawing hand in the first hand when we have over 330bb in total?

Yes, AK does pretty well against a range of AJ+, ATo+, 66+ – but it’s extremely unlikely that this will be the range you are up against when you face a 3-bet after openraising UTG and a snap-shove after min-4-betting your hand. I think my 4-bet was to 600ish chips, so I would have to call another 4,400 chips, getting pot odds from 2.3:1 which means I need like 30% equity. I estimated my opponent would only shove AKs, KK+ here – I discounted the AKo combos because I don’t think many people would go all-in with AK in the very first hand –, against this range I have 27,46% equity, so I’m forced to fold.

Of course that fold is very anti-GTO but since both of us agreed upon the fact that people tend to play very anti-GTO we should make a lot of anti-GTO decisions to stay +EV and make the best decisions possible.

Think this is a really interesting debate. Can see both sides. Neither wrong IMO. Its a call from me and my personal style of play. Id ignore the amount of blinds its worth. Its a rebuy and blinds seem to catch up very fast in this league game. Think fact that a rebuy is available means you can include JJ+ in 4bet shove and possibly lower (I'd be tempted to flip pretty much anything if I was sure it was a flip and had option of rebuy) so equity margins may not be entirely accurate but hey that's poker and I like a gamble when I have a safety net. We can only base a decision on the info we have available. Just that in this scenario I think a call is OK if happy to rebuy and start again without further life support.

Obviously a fold later on if it was the same scenario.

@MetalWolf wrote:

@GamesDean wrote:

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

Think this is a really interesting debate. Can see both sides. Neither wrong IMO. Its a call from me and my personal style of play. Id ignore the amount of blinds its worth. Its a rebuy and blinds seem to catch up very fast in this league game. Think fact that a rebuy is available means you can include JJ+ in 4bet shove and possibly lower (I'd be tempted to flip pretty much anything if I was sure it was a flip and had option of rebuy) so equity margins may not be entirely accurate but hey that's poker and I like a gamble when I have a safety net. We can only base a decision on the info we have available. Just that in this scenario I think a call is OK if happy to rebuy and start again without further life support.

Obviously a fold later on if it was the same scenario.

I don´t have much time, so I make it quick. 

KK+, AKs is an absolute joking range, sorry, but that is the truth. People know it is a rebuy MTT, so they ain´t afraid to risk it with way more marginal holdings.

When you only need 30% equity, the call is even more clear with AK. There is only 1 hand where you don´t achieve the 30% and that is AA. 

It is a turbo, so things will escalate quickly. 

Obviously I was kind of angry earlier that people always have the top of their range when they are all in. 

Plus min4betting looks (and you said yourself that it was) a lot like a misclick. People want to realize fold equity by shoving. 

Also, why would the opponent force you to fold a hand like AK when he has AA. Dumbest thing to do. Probably the opponent had a pair lower than Queens and didn´t want to play postflop.

People think AK is a bad hand, dunno why. You are almost never behind, often dominating and doing great against most ranges.

If you play like this, I m more than happy to 5bet lightly against you since you seem to only call with AA (or KK if you are feeling frisky). :happy:

NO MORE HALF-MEASURES.

Archived