KKorppu's MMA Corner: UFC Fight Night 89

KKorppu

Dear UFC fans, this is the moment we all have been waiting for... (for the past 2 weeks) IIIIIIIIT'S TIME!

Following are my picks to be the winners on today's fight card, followed by the current odds and my rating on how much I like the pick.
("4/4" are my main picks for the evening, whereas "1/4" are picks that I am unsettled about for a reason or another, and would only use as a part of larger combinations.)

Rory MacDonald vs. Stephen Thompson                Rory MacDonald to win (1.85)  3/4
Donald Cerrone vs. Patrick Côté                                Donald Cerrone to win (1.62)  3/4
Steve Bossé vs. Sean O'Connell                                Steve Bossé to win (1.73)  4/4
Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Thibault Gouti                   Olivier Aubin-Mercier to win (1.25)  4/4
Valérie Létourneau vs. Joanne Calderwood            Valérie Létourneau to win (1.57)  3/4

Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva                                Leandro Silva to win (2.10)  2/4
Misha Cirkunov vs. Ion Cutelaba                              Misha Cirkunov to win (1.45)  3/4
Tamdan McCrory vs. Krzysztof Jotko                     Tamdan McCrory to win (1.53)  3/4
Chris Beal vs. Joe Soto                                              Chris Beal to win (2.00)  1/4

Elias Theodorou vs. Sam Alvey                                Elias Theodorou to win (1.40)  2/4
Randa Markos vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger            Randa Markos to win (1.67)  3/4
Colby Covington vs. Jonathan Meunier                  Colby Covington to win (1.40)  3/4
Ali Bagautinov vs. Geane Herrera                             Ali Bagautinov to win (1.36)  1/4

My pics are 4/4 after the Early Prelims.

No big surprises in the early bouts, Covington with a quick submission finish and the rest of the matches were quite clear decisions. Notable was Sam Alvey's passive (or at some points non-existent) offence, not registering a single strike before the last 20 seconds of the first round, which led to him losing by a wide margin in the voting when the fight ended up going to distance. I really feel like Alvey could have been able to land a knockout punch against the unorthodox Theodorou, had he been more aggressive early on.

Archived